Options

A [Chat]icle for Leibowitz

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I remember we had an assignment in one of my high school science classes to do a report on an Asian scientist. I picked some Russian because Russia is CLEARLY in Asia. The teacher was not pleased.

Historically and culturally Russians have had some angst about that; if your Russian scientist was from Asiatic Russia, and especially if they had some cultural connection--e.g. they were part ethnically Turkmen or whatever--I feel like it wouldn't even be cheating

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I remember we had an assignment in one of my high school science classes to do a report on an Asian scientist. I picked some Russian because Russia is CLEARLY in Asia. The teacher was not pleased.

Why weren't they pleased? You adhered to their instructions.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    also if your shit smells like a color please give me your drugs

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I've literally never had a character die, and I've played a bunch of TTRPGs.

I remember almost all of them vividly, they're my precious babies.

Yes, even you grimdark edgelordy Mutants and Masterminds character with negative emotion mind powers named Schadenfreude.

Even you.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    He was a hero who worked for a city's, like, hero group or whatever. Trying to make his way up the ranks in the hero world.

But get this

there was a twist

because actually

he was a baddie pretending to be a hero

BET YOU NEVER SAW THAT COMING

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Sorry Vee, but in the prologue, gold squadron was tragically killed by the ghost of jango fett

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Guys, don't you just hate it when you're feeling stressed out and a sudden rash of small, intensely itchy, water-filled blisters forms on your feet and hands, starting as deep-seated vesicles before merging into larger clusters, hardening over, flaking off, and revealing new skin underneath over a period of a little over a month?

just Mr comin at ya with more relatable content

( @VishNub )

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The PS1 Spiderman 2 was supposed to end with fighting Electro atop the World Trade Center with one of the towers getting damaged. Then, 9/11 happened.

So, it was changed to a generic building.

• Options
    That was actually in a M&M campaign here on the forums!

Run by the inimitable @Talonrazor if I remember correctly.

Good times. One of my favorite campaigns I've ever been in, though sadly short-lived.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    wazilla wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    This morning’s shit smells light green.

If you are still smelling this morning's shit I think you should see a gastroenterologist or do a better job wiping
    My first poo today is at 3. My digestion is a bit off.
    wazilla wrote: »
    also if your shit smells like a color please give me your drugs

It’s a weird synesthesia. When I poo I can smell the color. Worst super power.

zepherin on
  • Options
    Oh, he hasn't posted since 2014 :c

Damn, looks like he just kinda disappeared.

Hope he's doing alright, wherever he is...

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Neco wrote: »
    Sorry Vee, but in the prologue, gold squadron was tragically killed by the ghost of jango fett
    Poor bastard.

Got to brawl with a jedi abit and make himself look credible and then immediately gets his head sliced off when he shows back up feeling himself.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I definitely don't want to kill my players in the first few sessions.

*oh wait you're serious png mp4*

Look, have you seen @Kid Presentable 's bird? It's delightful. @Blameless Cleric did a bang up job on that art. To murder him the first session? That would be a travesty! I have to make the bird sell their soul to a devil first.

• Options

Yes, even you grimdark edgelordy Mutants and Masterminds character with negative emotion mind powers named Schadenfreude.

Even you.

I really liked the traveling writer with the magical yelp review book of locations that had been explored, that was cool.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

*oh wait you're serious png mp4*

Look, have you seen +"Kid Presentable" 's bird? It's delightful. +"Blameless Cleric" did a bang up job on that art. To murder him the first session? That would be a travesty! I have to make the bird sell their soul to a devil first.

Or... now hear me out... a way to increase demand for more delightful BC content.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I remember in grade school there was an assignment to pick a holiday to do a project on. Any holiday.

Knowing that people were all going to cluster around the popular ones, and because I was a smartass, I wanted to do the one holiday in August that nobody remembers exists: Civic Holiday.

The teacher didn't know there was one, got frustrated, and effectively told me to just pick a fucking regular holiday like everyone else.

I was mildly disappointed, because in retrospect, there's a lot of neat civic duty-related material you could build a project around for a holiday people forget exists (and in reality, was a holiday specifically there for municipalities to celebrate local historical figures).

Characters
  • Options
    Lets see there was elemental ring magic guy, who was collecting these powerful elemental rings, of which there were five, okay yes I stole the idea from Captain Planet, but he was super cool I swear. In the final climactic battle against the armies of darkness, I rolled a critical success on a "make an earth golem" roll (which was really hard in this system, we rolled d100s instead of d20s, and a special success was ~10% chance, while a critical was more like ~2%) and pulled together the walls of all the nearby buildings to create a massive kaiju-sized golem that ran rampant through the enemy troops.

There was the character I made for an M&M campaign here on the forums that was, like...Mike Mignola themed. Not in the Hellboy universe, but going for that style. We had a severed yeti paw as a character in that game, really cool. My character was basically like "what if Weird Science but it was just one dude, and the experiment went wrong and he fused with the woman he was 'creating', gained crazy techno powers but also had a female presence in his head that was really fucking mad because she saw all the gross things he wanted to do with her, and occasionally he fails a Will save and she takes control". That was a fun one.

Then there was the lady assassin who had a dark past and who had a one-on-one session with the GM where she conducted an assassination, and then later the party was coming back to town from a thing, and they ran into someone on the road who was like "Did you hear? [Bigshot noble who I had assassinated] was assassinated by someone!" and on of my party members was like "WHAT? MY FATHER IS DEAD??" That was an awesome moment.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

Even you.

I really liked the traveling writer with the magical yelp review book of locations that had been explored, that was cool.

Yeah that'd be something that would be really neat to explore some more at some point.

Though Jepharian was a blast to play too.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I love how even people on the weather channel are like "Of course there would be two of them, its 2020."

Ready for this year to die.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Lets see there was elemental ring magic guy, who was collecting these powerful elemental rings, of which there were five, okay yes I stole the idea from Captain Planet, but he was super cool I swear. In the final climactic battle against the armies of darkness, I rolled a critical success on a "make an earth golem" roll (which was really hard in this system, we rolled d100s instead of d20s, and a special success was ~10% chance, while a critical was more like ~2%) and pulled together the walls of all the nearby buildings to create a massive kaiju-sized golem that ran rampant through the enemy troops.

There was the character I made for an M&M campaign here on the forums that was, like...Mike Mignola themed. Not in the Hellboy universe, but going for that style. We had a severed yeti paw as a character in that game, really cool. My character was basically like "what if Weird Science but it was just one dude, and the experiment went wrong and he fused with the woman he was 'creating', gained crazy techno powers but also had a female presence in his head that was really fucking mad because she saw all the gross things he wanted to do with her, and occasionally he fails a Will save and she takes control". That was a fun one.

Then there was the lady assassin who had a dark past and who had a one-on-one session with the GM where she conducted an assassination, and then later the party was coming back to town from a thing, and they ran into someone on the road who was like "Did you hear? [Bigshot noble who I had assassinated] was assassinated by someone!" and on of my party members was like "WHAT? MY FATHER IS DEAD??" That was an awesome moment.

Also, just like...hmm

That was like 10 years ago

Maybe I should have been having some gender thoughts earlier than I did...

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    If I had skin problems I would flense my flesh and become pure, clean bone

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Guys, don't you just hate it when you're feeling stressed out and a sudden rash of small, intensely itchy, water-filled blisters forms on your feet and hands, starting as deep-seated vesicles before merging into larger clusters, hardening over, flaking off, and revealing new skin underneath over a period of a little over a month?

just Mr comin at ya with more relatable content

( @VishNub )

The dream

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

Going meatless

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I definitely don't want to kill my players in the first few sessions. I want to get them into the adventure a bit before things get lethal. And if my players are like "hey no, please no permadeath" then sure we can work on that. But also there's ways to avoid dying in this campaign and death makes for good stories! No one remembers all their party members that survived, but the ones who died are much more memorable.

Besides, I've never actually DM'd and had a character die AND THE DICE CRAVE SOULS

in the first few sessions.

• Options
    See, now I just have a campaign idea where the campaign starts as normal for a few sessions, and then everyone dies, and the campaign continues as the party reunites and proceeds through the afterlife/planes/whatever cosmology we're using.

Characters
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

why wait

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    if you aren't playing some diceless freeform hippy game then it can be very valuable to make sure something happens entirely because of die rolls early on. That something should not be the dramatic option or serve the plot or be narratively satisfying or otherwise be something that would be desirable in a passive medium like a novel / theatre / movie. A player character dying is a good example of this but not the only one.

But something to just to drive home that everything isn't being manipulated to fit a narrative or to provide maximum drama or even be "fun" will make the game feel so much more real and really ratchet up the tension (at least for a while). There is no plot armor. What would best fit a story doesn't have to happen (unless our heroes....).

edit: and when I say "make sure", that really just means engineering situations where there are dice rolls happening reasonably frequently that could have such outcomes. Sooner or later a player will roll a 1.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I did it

I responded to a recruiter

I have done so much work today I am so proud of myself I really did it

• Options
    edited August 2020
    if you aren't playing some diceless freeform hippy game then it can be very valuable to make sure something happen entirely because of die rolls early on. That something should not be the a dramatic option or serve the plot or be narratively satisfying or otherwise be something that would be desirable in a passive medium like a novel / theatre / movie. A player character dying is a good example of this but not the only one.

But something to just to drive home that everything isn't being manipulated to fit a narrative or to provide maximum drama or even be "fun" will make the game feel so much more real and really ratchet up the tension (at least for a while). There is no plot armor. What would best fit a story doesn't have to happen (unless our heroes....).

This happened in one of my games in which the party, instead of killing an Ettin, decided to make it their friend. I forget how exactly, I think it was a serious of really impressive Persuasion rolls and choosing to subdue it.

Naturally, this was not planned.

So now I had to make a hex grid exploration side map of them continuing to explore the forest with a tamed Ettin in toe.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Are you concerned about Doppelgängers from the future coming out of your mirror, murdering you and taking your place?

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Coming up the back steps from the lower level at work, see something on the stairs, looks like a rag. Figures, they're cleaning the railings and doorknobs almost hourly. Snag it and ...it's a sweaty ladies thong. Whoop, drop that like a hot potato. Go get a plastic bag, grab it, again, toss it in the trash.

Fucking pandemic, man.

• Options
    The best D&D character death I've ever seen is in episode 2 of Dimension 20's Fantasy High.

I stood up and yelled WHAT

It was incredible
    The characters live in a John Hughes esque country where they have to go to an Adventuring High School. They're freshmen, there's cars, an ice cream parlor run by a genie, the principal is a wizard, the vice principal is a dragonborn, etc etc.

The students are in the cafeteria investigating something and get attacked. In the battle, two of them straight up die.

BUT

Arthur Aguefort, the principal of The Arthur Aguefort Adventuring Academy comes into the room with the guidance counselor and has a little speech about how a youthful life is such a terrible thing to waste. Isn't that right, guidance counselor?

"What?" says the guidance counselor, before Arthur pulls out a gun and SHOOTS HIM IN THE FACE, WHICH REVIVES ONE OF THE STUDENTS

Then as everyone is screaming he says something else and SHOOTS HIMSELF IN THE FACE AND REVIVES THE OTHER STUDENT

It was incredible.

I absolutely cannot recommend Fantasy High enough. First season is on youtube for free I think?

• Options

The temptation is real, believe me

• Options
    The best D&D character death I've ever seen is in episode 2 of Dimension 20's Fantasy High.

I stood up and yelled WHAT

It was incredible
    The characters live in a John Hughes esque country where they have to go to an Adventuring High School. They're freshmen, there's cars, an ice cream parlor run by a genie, the principal is a wizard, the vice principal is a dragonborn, etc etc.

The students are in the cafeteria investigating something and get attacked. In the battle, two of them straight up die.

BUT

Arthur Aguefort, the principal of The Arthur Aguefort Adventuring Academy comes into the room with the guidance counselor and has a little speech about how a youthful life is such a terrible thing to waste. Isn't that right, guidance counselor?

"What?" says the guidance counselor, before Arthur pulls out a gun and SHOOTS HIM IN THE FACE, WHICH REVIVES ONE OF THE STUDENTS

Then as everyone is screaming he says something else and SHOOTS HIMSELF IN THE FACE AND REVIVES THE OTHER STUDENT

It was incredible.

I absolutely cannot recommend Fantasy High enough. First season is on youtube for free I think?

https://youtu.be/DZ5rprmAHhE?t=5137

I found it! Start at an hour and 26 minutes if you just wanna see the amazing bit

• Options
    I would be mad as hell if a DM killed my character for laffs, or to build tension, or whatever

ok cool story, see you never again

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Oh wait I meant epilogue

I just got owned

• Options
    Dragonborns are for chumps

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    MrMister wrote: »
    I would be mad as hell if a DM killed my character for laffs, or to build tension, or whatever

ok cool story, see you never again

What I am suggesting is a bit more subtle: It's refraining from fudging die rolls to keep a player alive. Or otherwise fudging things behind the screen to make sure the most narratively or dramatically appropriate / satisfying thing always happen.

edit: and the way most players play, and especially in D&D but I've seen it even more in games with guns, they are gonna put themselves in situations that get them killed early on without fudging in their favor

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Are you concerned about Doppelgängers from the future coming out of your mirror, murdering you and taking your place?

Not very.

Why would anyone from the future choose to come to 2020?

• Options
    zagdrob wrote: »

Not very.

Why would anyone from the future choose to come to 2020?

I imagine to see the last gasp of civilization before we go full mad max

This discussion has been closed.