Options

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    What do I do for this event if my Yokai Watch is currently in the inventory of a Retainer whose contract has lapsed, and who I don't want to pay for again just to extract that one item? Can I still get another copy from a calamity salvager?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    What do I do for this event if my Yokai Watch is currently in the inventory of a Retainer whose contract has lapsed, and who I don't want to pay for again just to extract that one item? Can I still get another copy from a calamity salvager?

Should be able to, yes.

I'll also note the watch itself can be stashed in the armoire.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    What can I do with old gear that I'm amassing? I only recently found the action to extract stuff from spiritbound items. So do I do that from them all, then can I break them down in some way? Is anything worth trying to sell? I want to clean my inventory/retainers a bit.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    krylon666 wrote: »
    What can I do with old gear that I'm amassing? I only recently found the action to extract stuff from spiritbound items. So do I do that from them all, then can I break them down in some way? Is anything worth trying to sell? I want to clean my inventory/retainers a bit.

You can turn 100% spiritbound gear into materia and sell it to a vendor. I assume the materia is worth more than the gear.

You can turn in green or better gear to your Grand Company for GC Seals, which can be used to buy various things at the GC shop.

You can get your Retainers on the same class/job track you're on and give them your old gear to wear.

Or you can just sell the gear.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

Desynthesis if you have the crafting job associated with that gear piece unlocked, but the items you get may only actually be useful in Specific circumstances. You're more often better off donating them for grand company seals at your chosen grand company. (you may need to reach a certain rank before you can donate items)

Renzo wrote: »

You can turn 100% spiritbound gear into materia and sell it to a vendor. I assume the materia is worth more than the gear.

Converting the spiritbind to materia no longer consumes the item.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

You can turn in green or better gear to your Grand Company for GC Seals, which can be used to buy various things at the GC shop.

You can get your Retainers on the same class/job track you're on and give them your old gear to wear.

Or you can just sell the gear.

Materia extraction doesn't destroy the gear anymore. Handing it down to retainers is a safe option usually. Endgame gear can be disassembled hoping for valuable materials, it's probably worth more than the NPC price anyways... though if it can be traded for GC seals do that, and just sell glamour prisms or removers, whichever are worth more. (Some of the GC mats are also valuable)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Decided to level my dragoon that's been sitting at 35 since 2.0 back when bards needed to level them for B4B.

So. Many. Bad. Tanks.

And not even the good kind of bad where they go "oh i didn't realize, sorry" and then adjust. Just jackinapes that never turn the enemy/boss or don't move out of the way or don't move the gd dragon out of the gd toxic vomit that's healing it!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll extract and turn in for GC seals. Though I wasn't sure how to actually do that (I am high enough rank, officer now). I'll figure that out though.
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Decided to level my dragoon that's been sitting at 35 since 2.0 back when bards needed to level them for B4B.

So. Many. Bad. Tanks.

And not even the good kind of bad where they go "oh i didn't realize, sorry" and then adjust. Just jackinapes that never turn the enemy/boss or don't move out of the way or don't move the gd dragon out of the gd toxic vomit that's healing it!

I'm trying to be a good tank, on Ultros though. Hit me up for duties if we're in the same world group.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    As tank I usually give my recommendation to melee DPS (unless healer saved the day) as they are the ones most fucked by whatever tanking mistakes I made. Especially the dps classes that are happiest when they can pull of their directional attacks without a hitch, I feel bad whenever I have to adjust my position.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    As tank I usually give my recommendation to melee DPS (unless healer saved the day) as they are the ones most fucked by whatever tanking mistakes I made. Especially the dps classes that are happiest when they can pull of their directional attacks without a hitch, I feel bad whenever I have to adjust my position.

I figure sub-50 DPS are bored as heck so I shift randomly back and forth to keep them from falling asleep.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    As a healer, doing dungeons with a pocket tank is great, I can just say "go fast!" when I get bored. Can't wait for these to start getting challenging.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    As a healer, doing dungeons with a pocket tank is great, I can just say "go fast!" when I get bored. Can't wait for these to start getting challenging.

The hard mode of the dungeons are def a step up in difficulty in a good way. And its cool seeing a familiar place, but look and feel different. I think I've only run Haukue Manor (sp?) and Tam-Tara hard and they've been fun.

• Options
    Oh, when do you unlock the hard versions of the basic dungeons? Is there an obvious tick somewhere I'm not seeing?

Also, I've collected all the Yo-Kai minions for sale, but looking at the book I'm missing 4?

• Options
    Oh, when do you unlock the hard versions of the basic dungeons? Is there an obvious tick somewhere I'm not seeing?

Also, I've collected all the Yo-Kai minions for sale, but looking at the book I'm missing 4?

You typically need to be max level for that expansion and have completed the related quest for the normal mode version of the dungeon, since the hard mode is a direct story followup to the normal mode dungeon and not simply bigger numbers. You may or may not have needed to progress the MSQ to a certain point as well. You should see a followup quest available typically from the NPCs that were related to the normal mode quest for that dungeon. You may want to look the specific NPCs up since it can be kind of obscure to blindly search for if you don't remember the details.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    The "hard" dungeons are more like new dungeons in the same location at a higher level. Some of them are unlocked at 50, some at 60, and some at 70. Not all dungeons have a hard remix. Most of the 50 ones I think you unlock from quests in the bar in Revenant's Toll but I'm not sure if that's all of them.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    There are 10 (Hard) dungeons unlockable at level 50, 5 unlockable at level 60, 2 more at level 70, and they haven't made any level 80 ones with that designation yet.

• Options
    (Hard) dungeons are also weird in that they're (a) not really that hard and (b) give really bad XP. For some reason they design all the level cap dungeons to give significantly worse XP than the leveling dungeons right around them, which relegates them to the 50/60/70 queue (which also doesn't give good XP) and makes them useless as grinding dungeons.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    admanb wrote: »
    (Hard) dungeons are also weird in that they're (a) not really that hard and (b) give really bad XP. For some reason they design all the level cap dungeons to give significantly worse XP than the leveling dungeons right around them, which relegates them to the 50/60/70 queue (which also doesn't give good XP) and makes them useless as grinding dungeons.

On the other hand, it's not really weird at all. all the (Hard) dungeons are added to the game when they are the respective 4-man endgame content for their expansion.

It could be said that they should go back and update the xp gained from them after the next expansion is released, but the purpose of the Hard x0- dungeons is manifestly different than the x9 leveling dungeons immediately preceding them.

The Hard dungeons are there for end-game players to have content and gain gear. So it makes sense they wouldn't be placed with high amounts of xp.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    When's the last time that level-cap 4-man dungeons were a go-to place to get gear from? Even now, the latest-released dungeon drops gear that's lower-itemlevel than crafted stuff from six months ago. Unless you want to collect a full set of the dungeon gear for glamour purposes, anyway.

• Options

On the other hand, it's not really weird at all. all the (Hard) dungeons are added to the game when they are the respective 4-man endgame content for their expansion.

It could be said that they should go back and update the xp gained from them after the next expansion is released, but the purpose of the Hard x0- dungeons is manifestly different than the x9 leveling dungeons immediately preceding them.

The Hard dungeons are there for end-game players to have content and gain gear. So it makes sense they wouldn't be placed with high amounts of xp.

I understand why they were added, though as SabreMau noted that's only sort of true, but why is "endgame gear" mutually exclusive with "meaningful XP"? It's not like adding XP to them would make them suddenly OP -- the gear they drop is useless to leveling anyways.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    IIRC 5.3 added a large first time completion exp bonus to all x0 dungeons. Might be worth doing them once, that way. I too think it's weird that they're not exp-piñatas like most group content. Not sure why they're so weird about them? Maybe to avoid people leveling through level 80 dungeons when a new expac is released? I'm sure they could go back and make it so at least the 50 and 60 dungeons award as much exp as other dungeons around that level.

• Options
    SabreMau wrote: »
    When's the last time that level-cap 4-man dungeons were a go-to place to get gear from? Even now, the latest-released dungeon drops gear that's lower-itemlevel than crafted stuff from six months ago. Unless you want to collect a full set of the dungeon gear for glamour purposes, anyway.

This patch. 475 gear is exactly at the ilvl threshold for TEA so for a lot of players the gear that drops from this latest 4-man is the best you can bring into TEA without the scaling kicking in. (ilvl sync drops your stats in worse ways than having gear exactly at the maximum item level)

But given we only have three ultimates, how often this actually happens to line up this way does not otherwise justify the number of level cap dungeons they put in the game though outside of pure glamour as you mentioned.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I think the new ones they added are tied to expansions, could be they're tied to MSQ progress maybe. Hard for me to tell since I'm clear through 5.3.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    The newest ones are Heavensward and Stormblood zones, it's possible if you're not in that expansion content you can't get them.

It will last until 5.4 however so you have a significant amount of time to get to that point.

• Options
    I thought you could get all the minions no problem, but the weapons are tied to certain zones, including Stormblood zones.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

I understand why they were added, though as SabreMau noted that's only sort of true, but why is "endgame gear" mutually exclusive with "meaningful XP"? It's not like adding XP to them would make them suddenly OP -- the gear they drop is useless to leveling anyways.

It's not just the gear, it's the poetics. Levelling dungeons are for earning xp, cap dungeons are for earning tomestones.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    I think the new ones they added are tied to expansions, could be they're tied to MSQ progress maybe. Hard for me to tell since I'm clear through 5.3.
    I was being an idiot and forgot to 'claim' them from my inventory, it turns out.

Right now my current progress in the main questline is stalled because two friends decided to join in, so now we're waiting for them to catch up before proceeding, however they joined 2-3 days apart, so we'd just caught up the first one when the next one started and now we have to do their 30 levels also.

So the consequence is that my main questline dropped me off at level 30 (right after you join the grand company), but my current level is 42, just from helping them run dungeons and doing fates. Gosh, I sure miss having a steady supply of new gear from quests... (before I went and bought some I was level 40 with the average gear level of 19).

Glal on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Better to be over leveled for the MSQ than to hit the point where the MSQ level requirement jumps from 46 to 49 unprepared. Yes it still does this even after the changes.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    IIRC 5.3 added a large first time completion exp bonus to all x0 dungeons.

all the dungeons except for those, actually

fuck knows why

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    It's probably because they don't want you to outlevel the next expansion's content by doing the x0 dungeons from the expansion prior. But they should really normalize it for alts.

• Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    Saw the article that said the Free Trial has been beefed up so I decided to finally give XIV a shot since my last MMO was... damn, WotLK era WoW.

Hyped to make my Viera and... ahh nuts. Okay, okay, fine. Let's get this show on the road. God this menu music is nostalgic.

• Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    I can't stop taking screenshots. Everything is so pretty. Including the characters, I swear the character creator is just set to 'attractive' by default and it won't let you veer too far off the mark despite all the sliders and options.

I really like the way that they present the story - so much more interesting than just being given a block of text. The music is incredible, all the little cues when you enter combat or level up is great. The five million sidequests are a little distracting, but I like that the Story progression quests are clearly marked so that you can just hustle through them if you want to.

This is great. I have to send these screenshots to some friends and get them to jump in.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Soken, the music director, is a treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WLC7BqdXuA

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I can't stop taking screenshots. Everything is so pretty. Including the characters, I swear the character creator is just set to 'attractive' by default and it won't let you veer too far off the mark despite all the sliders and options.

I really like the way that they present the story - so much more interesting than just being given a block of text. The music is incredible, all the little cues when you enter combat or level up is great. The five million sidequests are a little distracting, but I like that the Story progression quests are clearly marked so that you can just hustle through them if you want to.

This is great. I have to send these screenshots to some friends and get them to jump in.

Don't worry about doing any sidequests. Only focus one the main quests (the ones with the meteor marker) unless you start to fall behind level wise. You'll want those other quests there for you when you want to level alternate classes.

Quest markers with a blue plus icon on them indicate that the quest will unlock some sort of content (such as a dungeon or unique equipment). If a plus icon quest doesn't give rewards, it is probably a prerequisite for a quest that does.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    plus icons can also unlock important features

yellow quests can have really cool stuff in them too, bit as a rule of thumb the blue ones are the most important

• Options
    If you just do meteor quests and some blue plus quests, you'll probably still be over 50 by the time you hit the end of 2.0.

Which is great, no need to do sidequests to see the story. And don't worry about being overleveled, especially so early in the game.

Point is, just enjoy yourself like you're already doing.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm still faffing about after a stumble out of the gates. I can't get enough of all the crazy mounts I see going into and out of FATEs as I'm running around.

Unrelated, I now want a pink and blue Trex mount that flies bit doesn't have wings. Close second is the golden Phoenix looking bird. Third is the whale ofc.

Also I saw someone using the flaming rollerblades and I just had to chuckle.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Yeah, fun time for FATEs since there's an event that hits all the ARR zones so you've got mobs of 80s going around clearing them in 5 seconds.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

One of us.

But, yeah, XIV is best-in-class in terms of presentation and making mundane assignments fit into the lore and feel relevant. It's essentially a Final Fantasy with multiplayer rather than a MMO with a Final Fantasy outer shell. It's also a love letter to the Final Fantasy franchise itself. There are some pretty deep cuts. Hope you're familiar with FF III and FF V in particular.

And it all gets so, so much better as you progress through content.

• Options
    What FFV references does it have other than
    Krile and Baldesion and I guess Blue Magic. Oh and Exdeath shows up huh.

This discussion has been closed.