As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Flight Sims] DCS open-beta approaches something modern: Using more than one CPU core!

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if any of the Tobii eye-/headtracking devices already work with the Flight Simulator?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    I really love how this looks and, again, this is not even close to best settings.
    sapplrqt7eci.png

Also, the current challenge is a really fun one. Manage to get a nice-ish landing done (let's please not talk about my first approaches) and I can see how this can get fun.
    9jsp0xynr8sg.png

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    There’s no way to move an installed game to another drive on the gamepass thing is there? You have to redownload I assume?

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    There’s no way to move an installed game to another drive on the gamepass thing is there? You have to redownload I assume?

You can go to Settings > System > Apps & Features and look for the game
    0yz1nsd0lrym.png

The only thing is I don't know if that'll move the whole 100GB content along with it (which I think is separate from the "main" install.)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I just ran into this, because I got a new NVMe HDD, and it was previously installed on the C drive
    It moves the installer
    You have to redownload the whole thing

I can no longer play this month because arbitrary bandwidth cap.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Can you just move the folder manually and then update the location in the options?

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Can you just move the folder manually and then update the location in the options?

For whatever reason, Microsoft has deemed the PC games to be Walled Garden material that absolutely cannot be touched by anybody but the Windows Store.

Like, for reals, you can't even right-click and check out the folder's properties. It just errors saying the folder has restricted access.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

For whatever reason, Microsoft has deemed the PC games to be Walled Garden material that absolutely cannot be touched by anybody but the Windows Store.

Like, for reals, you can't even right-click and check out the folder's properties. It just errors saying the folder has restricted access.

You can change the owner to your account.

Maybe you could copy the contents of the 100GB data installation, uninstall, then restart the install, pause it and then replace everything inside with your old data. Maaaaaybe that works (if you happen to have all that space around.)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I thought I transferred the copy over when I reinstalled, but it refused to recognize it.
    So it started downloading everything on top of what was already there.

• Options
    Drovek wrote: »

Maybe you could copy the contents of the 100GB data installation, uninstall, then restart the install, pause it and then replace everything inside with your old data. Maaaaaybe that works (if you happen to have all that space around.)

That must've been updated in well after I last tried to access the WindowsApps folder. I remember trying to do exactly what that article says to do, but was met with a "You don't have permission to change those settings" error message.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Drovek wrote: »

That must've been updated in well after I last tried to access the WindowsApps folder. I remember trying to do exactly what that article says to do, but was met with a "You don't have permission to change those settings" error message.

Still, what lives inside that folder is the 1GB installation, not the main data folder. I don't know in what config file or registry key the data directory is pointed to.

EDIT: I tried doing a quick search through all of the Registry and through some of the files that look config-y and I can't even find a reference to the directory I'm using for cache or anything. It must be some weird Windows App store thing that's encrypted in some bullshit way.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    So, how do you go about navigating through waypoints in a Cessna 152? It only has old gauges, so I have no idea what I shuld be looking at, ot how I would go about skipping a waypoint and moving on to the next.

Saw this two pages ago and thought, "Time to flex my ground school from five years ago and give a lesson on VOR".

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    TroyTroy Registered User regular
    Troy wrote: »
    Once I saw the release date of the sim I stopped my world circumnavigation flight in Iceland (starting in Minnesota) after flying from the eastern coast of Greenland in X-Plane 11. The flight has been in the Baron G58 which meant I had to pick up the premium edition, which I justify by not having to buy a third party plane which can easily be as much. It's the glass cockpit version which is okay, but not fully functional which is a bit of a bummer. Hopefully they spruce these premium planes up a bit more.

Flew across Iceland in early dawn with scattered clouds, and the game absolutely blew me away. I'm so glad I halted my flight plan until this came out. I really hope they add more functionality to the panels, but for now it's perfectly fine for what I'm doing, which is mostly staring out the windows. Next up is landing in The Faroe, and then a hope to northern Scotland. From there I can finally start flying short hop flights all the way to Asia which is about all I can manage right now with newborn twins and a toddler.

I also may switch to the DA62, probably by roleplay an engine failure and crashlanding or something, and "buy" the new plane. Dorked around with that thing in Aspen while I was waiting for Asobo to let me use my premium plane, and I love how it flies, also not having to manage mixture is pretty sweet.

All in all a pretty great start for what is now my sim platform of choice.

So there are no airports on the Faroe Islands. I mean there are in reality, but not in msfs 2020's reality. Looks like I either crack open the old SDK a little sooner than I had planned, or I could RP that crash landing I talked about.

Fun news, without any prompting my wife told me she wanted to learn to fly. Took her up in a 152, and started showing her the ropes. It was a fun quarantine adventure date.

The best part, I think she want's to keep learning. Second best part, I totally almost crashed from level flight at 2,000 ft while geeking out about SkyVector and how we can fly VFR now.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    some of the smaller airports got missed in this rushed release it looks like

the baron in fs2020 banks to the right hard compared to fsx so I'm having to relearn the AP systems and flight model on this new one but I'm enjoying it

terrifying to come up over a mountain range and lose lift because of airflow though let me tell you

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Man, HOTAS setups are basically not purchasable at the moment. I wanted to wait until I got back from a trip before dropping money on one, and I guess that means I'm not getting anything for a while. Anyone have any reasons to avoid the X-56 setup from Logitech if/when it ever comes back in stock at a normal price?

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Man, HOTAS setups are basically not purchasable at the moment. I wanted to wait until I got back from a trip before dropping money on one, and I guess that means I'm not getting anything for a while. Anyone have any reasons to avoid the X-56 setup from Logitech if/when it ever comes back in stock at a normal price?

Mine lasted about 9 months of extremely light use before the internal wiring went on the fritz. Unscrewed both bases to try to figure out where the problem was, and realized just how cheap the whole thing is on the inside (also couldn't figure out where the problem was without breaking plastic bits and/or melting globs of hot glue).

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    That's depressing. So, basically look for a Warthog? Since it sounds like the modular one posted earlier in the thread won't be out for months?

• Options
    That's depressing. So, basically look for a Warthog? Since it sounds like the modular one posted earlier in the thread won't be out for months?

There's also the T16000M around, and I have seen a couple with the pedals also (the ones without pedals are sold out around here). I have no personal experience with that, but I have seen in reviews that it has a decent build quality.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=gladiator-nxt

Has a throttle slider on the base you can get by with if you can’t find a separate throttle.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Anyone have any reasons to avoid the X-56 setup from Logitech if/when it ever comes back in stock at a normal price?

I'll offer a count point: I used both the X-55 from Saitek/Madcatz and the X-56 revision from Logitech's gaming division. They're honestly more aimed at Elite and the like than flight simulation HOTAS noawadays, but considering the X-56 was delivered even before MSFS was announced, that's understandable. They have more than enough buttons. I broke my X-55 on account of ED (snapping a chunk out of the joystick socket ring), which is a combination of both less-than-stellar build quality and me being stupid (the controller continued to function fine, and I actually sold it on eBay for a good price point). I replaced it with an X-56 which I have not repeated that dumb mistake with, and has not had any issues with actual input problems (though the stick "no step" adjustment did crack, unsurprisingly, you could just throw that out and have your hand rest slightly lower on the stick).

The build quality's reliability point is important: this was an issue under Saitek, much less Madcatz. But, ironically, the Logitech acquisition is arguably good news. The internals are the same cheap internals that they were under Saitek ~5 years ago, with some very minor updates (replacing a hat switch with a mini-stick, etc.). I'm taking it for granted that VKB, Virpil, and Thrustmaster (at least at the higher end?) are not as cheap inside, though that honestly probably comes down to model by model. Logitech Gaming has a much more forgiving replacement policy than any of these companies, as far as I can tell. I pretty much exclusively buy Logitech G-series mice exclusively for this reason, because every time one of them has failed for whatever stupid reason--bad sensor, Powerplay incompatibility, whatever--Logitech has agreed to send me a replacement, at no charge, and told me to keep the old one (which I typically sell for parts).

This is a "big company versus little company" dilemma. A "boutique" shop like Virpil or VKB will presumably put more love and care into the individual product. Or not. Human error happens, corners are cut. Being a superior design overall is a more compelling argument, I think, especially given the X-56's deliberate design into the quasi-space-combat (it's basically reproducing the X-52-on-steroids we see in ED).

Provided the controller is actually in stock, Logitech is way more likely to replace a broken controller with minimal questions asked, as far as I know. VKB, etc., can't afford to do that, and that's completely understandable. Logitech's actual inventories on Amazon rise and fall as the seasons change, but they're very good about keeping stocks of existing product or the subsequent model (I've had both G-series gaming mouse and a Powerplay pad replaced with newer models at no charge--which also meant I had to move over to the G Hub software instead of LGS for compatibility).

There is a possibility they might refuse, or you might simply call in too late, past the warranty period. I just strongly suspect they're far more likely to give in to a request, if filed through the proper procedure, than these other companies.

If you like the actual model from Thrustmaster or VKB, though, you should buy those. You can find accounts of T16000M's only lasting six months or whatever without issue, it's just luck and anecdotes at that point.

I've owned my X-56 since February 2017--so, 3 and a half years. No reliability issues, though the software did gradually improve, and I haven't used it on a daily basis after I quit Elite but before MSFS came out. They've actually issued a new revision, still called X-56, since then, which is cosmetically different (grey instead of light blue highlights) but otherwise the same. I can't comment on the reliability of those, but it's not like Logitech's other gaming hardware has gotten less reliable within revisions (it's the move to G Hub that sucked, at least initially, and the X-56 doesn't even use that).

Don't overpay, and probably don't buy a "renewed" model. The stock will be replenished sooner or later at normal price.

• Options
    VKB's support is actually pretty stellar, from what I've gathered on r/hotas.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »
    VKB's support is actually pretty stellar, from what I've gathered on r/hotas.

That's good, but I didn't hear about them replacing things out of pocket unless very shortly after purchase. Have they changed that?

• Options
    I will give you that Logitech's support is top notch: they replaced my G27 with a new G29 after the rotary encoder broke a few months in. They only required some steps to verify that that was the problem but it wasn't too much of an issue. Said G29 has been with me for some 5 years now.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    I've been cribbing replacement mice from Logitech for a few years now--buying everything online it's easy to keep proofs of purchase, and provided you go through the required steps they have no trouble sending you replacements (or, for better or worse, the updated product if it's been discontinued). I've had my X-56 for 3 years now, so I wonder if that'd be past their (already long) grace period--and I'm pretty sure they're not going to cover me for something as stupid as "I was pulling the stick too hard in ED and cracked the socket ring" as oppose to a much more obvious "My throttle is drifting/this switch is dead."

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Saitek was pretty good with replacements too. I bought a X52 long ago and it broke nearly a month later. After contacting them and sending it back to them they agreed that it was a faulty unit and sent me a brand new one. I did sell it though since I read they were pretty crappy (being a cheap line) and bought the Warthog on sale from Amazon and have not looked back yet. The only bad thing about my Warthog is that leaving it plugged in would not allow my computer to sleep. Not sure if they updated the drivers since then to allow it to sleep, but I just unplug them when they're not being used now.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Saitek was pretty good with replacements too. I bought a X52 long ago and it broke nearly a month later. After contacting them and sending it back to them they agreed that it was a faulty unit and sent me a brand new one. I did sell it though since I read they were pretty crappy (being a cheap line) and bought the Warthog on sale from Amazon and have not looked back yet. The only bad thing about my Warthog is that leaving it plugged in would not allow my computer to sleep. Not sure if they updated the drivers since then to allow it to sleep, but I just unplug them when they're not being used now.

Saitek was OK about replacements--my original X-55 was missing one of the rubber feet, they sent me a replacement, I had to use a dime in the meantime--but their very small side put them at a disadvantage to today's Logitech, unsurprising. Trying to maintain Logitech's policies--submit some photos, explanation, get a replacement, keep your original--would've bankrupted them.

They got a lot free passes for their build quality issues though. And I say this as a customer of theirs going back to at least the Cyborg Evo, if not earlier (which...I did have to replace). I think it was a case of ambition beyond what they were actually capable of, and while the Madcatz acquisition didn't help, there were definitely issues before, people were just happier to give them a pass. I'm pretty sure replacement parts volume improved under Madcatz until before they got bought out.

Under Logitech's gaming division, they seem much more consistent about parts and build quality. But the X-56, like the X-52, is still a case of "Extremely ambitious, all the buttons you could ever need, but cheap parts." I bought my X-56 for $230--it's hard to picture VKB not charging at least twice that for the same control/switch layout, even if it would be better internally.

I also miss my G940 (R.I.P. force feedback).

• Options
    This is a good video if you're starting to get into the deep end of IFR like me.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    My HOTAS i ordered just updated to shipped. Yay!

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I bounced hard off the X56 myself- the button placement just didn't feel right. But I've been using the X-52 layout since it was the X-36 so.

Gave the Thrustmaster FCS box a try and bounced off that too. Still have it though since I took too long to return it.

• Options
    I really did not like the button layout for the throttle in the X-52 (or the throttle shape itself, to be honest).

I did, however, think that dull little LCD screen was the bee's knees, even if you'd end up never looking at it. :lol: I'm glad I waited for the X-55 with a much better throttle overall (I think), even if it was missing the little screen (which would just end up like the little screen on Logitech's old gaming keyboards).

• Options
    can anyone from boston verify

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfGjiGhGKMc

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    I flew into Hurricane Laura this evening. I tried to go over it, but it was still going when I hit 40k feet, so I went through and around it.
    aur0mig2kpwy.jpg

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The icon is great for bumbling about, I did manage to land into the whale pool of seaworld but I did not have enough room to get out of there.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I like flying in the airbus. Once I got used to the bugs in the system i can get approaches down etc. Jumped in the 747i for a test flight and holy is it easymode.

Did my first cold start too in the airbus and its fun flipping all the switches getting it online. Getting the 747 online is like 3 steps by comparison lol.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I've essentially landed on two planes that I most consistently fly this far, the turbo-prop Daher, and the Beechcraft. Just absolutely love them.

I've tried a couple flight in the A320 as well, but I'm just not as jazzed about flying in the jets.

• Options
    ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    So something super annoying I've found is that your AI copilot fucks with the elevator trim CONSTANTLY.

I ended up fighting it just all the time when flying. I'm trying to trim it so that it flies straight, and it keeps tweaking it and tweaking it. And we end up battling.

The worst fucking part: there's no way to disable it.

This sounds like the problem I was having. I turns out it was because the initial settings for my Thurstmaster had Trim controls set for both the stick and also assigned to the rudder bar on the Throttle. The rudder bar always auto-centers itself, so I have no idea why that was the initial setting for trim.

Anyway, every time I would change the trim on my joystick the trim control on the throttle would mess with it and the end result was my trim was always out of whack. I removed all trim control settings from the throttle and now it works great.

• Options
    super useful long post

Thanks for the feedback. I actually have a Logitech headset and Keyboard, and while I've not had any issues with the Keyboard, I've had my headset replaced by them no questions asked when the ear cups deformed within 2 months and wouldn't stay on. Haven't had any issues with the replacement.

The fact that it's space sim focused doesn't actually bother me that much because I'm likely to put WAY more initial time into Squadrons when it comes out, so avoiding a traditional yoke setup isn't really a downside.

Convienence being the biggest driver, I'll probably just wind up grabbing What ever full combo comes back in stock at normal price first (it may just be me being picky but I have a hard time buying the solo VKB stick when I am already using just a stick, the seperate throttle assembly and buttons are kinda driving this purchase). Thanks everyone for the feedback and tips.

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    I managed to find what I assume is the eye of the hurricane last night.
    g1s7i8vmm2pd.png
    ap50goau1y5s.png

• Options
    super useful long post

Thanks for the feedback. I actually have a Logitech headset and Keyboard, and while I've not had any issues with the Keyboard, I've had my headset replaced by them no questions asked when the ear cups deformed within 2 months and wouldn't stay on. Haven't had any issues with the replacement.

The fact that it's space sim focused doesn't actually bother me that much because I'm likely to put WAY more initial time into Squadrons when it comes out, so avoiding a traditional yoke setup isn't really a downside.

Convienence being the biggest driver, I'll probably just wind up grabbing What ever full combo comes back in stock at normal price first (it may just be me being picky but I have a hard time buying the solo VKB stick when I am already using just a stick, the seperate throttle assembly and buttons are kinda driving this purchase). Thanks everyone for the feedback and tips.

I think you meant to quote Synthesis? :)

I will say as an X55 owner, for all its QA faults I find the throttle(which I still use) to be pretty ergonomic. Plenty of inputs, and they're laid in a way that is pretty easy to use in VR.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    super useful long post

I think you meant to quote Synthesis? :)

I will say as an X55 owner, for all its QA faults I find the throttle(which I still use) to be pretty ergonomic. Plenty of inputs, and they're laid in a way that is pretty easy to use in VR.

I did and I'm gonna blame my phone for the mistake, and not the fact I was posting half awake in the middle of the night.