Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    BSoB wrote: »
    I think you have it backwards, If someone is trying to sell Netflix a season of a series, and the first two seasons get a shit load of views. That strengthens the negotiating position of the seller, not of netflix.

I think what WiseManTobes is saying is that it underperformed quite a bit on Youtube but is now seeing an explosion of interest. The first episode is the only one with a view tracker (possibly it was free when it was first released? I don't remember), so the 89million views it has on YT don't really extend to the rest of the series (especially given how low the YT Red/Premium subs were).
    Ya it had been like a small sleeper hit for a while , but one week on Netflix and it's suddenly just dominating. At least one article a day lately in my feed about how Netflix blew that show up huge

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I'm old and no longer demographically important, but Youtube is a morass of garbage with the same basic (and stupid) thumbnails.

Get off my lawn, etc.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I'm old and no longer demographically important, but Youtube is a morass of garbage with the same basic (and stupid) thumbnails.

Get off my lawn, etc.

Open-mouth shocked face, bright color background, impact font in white with black outline/background, few seconds over 10 minutes in length (to activate ads), begins with "Hey guys".

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

Get off my lawn, etc.

I remember Linus doing a video about this and saying he pretty much had to do thumbnails like that because the algorithm won't surface the videos for most people otherwise. They do their own advertising so they don't have to monetize, but the thumbnails are pretty much "we have to or no one sees it."

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I know Youtube has assloads of content I like, it just seems absolutely dedicated to burying it under total garbage. I watch fifteen nature documentaries and it suggests almost nothing (and then I find some great channel with a pile of great videos via manually clawing through results), then watch a single video about one video game and suddenly Youtube is flooding me with fucking dozens of suggestions about gaming-related streaming channels, comedy channels, cheats, strategy, breakdowns, etc. I watched that Halo Infinity gameplay footage at release and I'm still fucking picking Halo suggestions out of my lists. It was one damn video I watched one damn time, yet I had to go find out on my own that the History channel has a mountain of videos online from back when it was a channel worth watching.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    I know Youtube has assloads of content I like, it just seems absolutely dedicated to burying it under total garbage. I watch fifteen nature documentaries and it suggests almost nothing (and then I find some great channel with a pile of great videos via manually clawing through results), then watch a single video about one video game and suddenly Youtube is flooding me with fucking dozens of suggestions about gaming-related streaming channels, comedy channels, cheats, strategy, breakdowns, etc. I watched that Halo Infinity gameplay footage at release and I'm still fucking picking Halo suggestions out of my lists. It was one damn video I watched one damn time, yet I had to go find out on my own that the History channel has a mountain of videos online from back when it was a channel worth watching.

It's so garbage. I regularly have to dig for stuff I'm interested in but it'll flood the feed with bollocks from less than 5 secs on a video. I misclicked on some athiest video that popped up in the side bar when watching 4X gaming vids and my feed was flooded with Jordan Peterson videos for weeks. Despite immediately backing out of the video and telling youtube to stop recommending the channels and videos it didn't stop until I deleted the video from viewing history.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

I'm watching a series called "No More Jockeys" on Youtube. It's 3 British Comedians (Alex Horne, Marc Watson and Tim Key) playing a simple game during Corona isolation (name a person (real or fictional) and name a category that person belongs to. Nobody mentioned after that can belong to that category. If you name somebody that belongs to a previous named category you get eliminated.) Because the game is called No More Jockeys, Youtube has now decided that I'm really into horse racing.

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »

I'm watching a series called "No More Jockeys" on Youtube. It's 3 British Comedians (Alex Horne, Marc Watson and Tim Key) playing a simple game during Corona isolation (name a person (real or fictional) and name a category that person belongs to. Nobody mentioned after that can belong to that category. If you name somebody that belongs to a previous named category you get eliminated.) Because the game is called No More Jockeys, Youtube has now decided that I'm really into horse racing.

Thanks for this, I'll have to check it out. My brother and I have watched British variety shows together going back to QI. Alex Horne is a genius and I'll gladly watch any idea he is involved in.

• Options
    grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular
    Youtube and facebook no longer suggest based on preferences, but the garbage they want to force down your throat.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm the exception that proves the rule but my Youtube recommendations tend to be pretty spot on. I just checked and none are clickbait, all are channels I actually watch and enjoy.

oa3y21am4o61.png

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

You can delete your watch history, that should reset the algorithm. You can even delete specific videos which I think should fix your issue.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    So Good Place season 4 comes out this week on Netflix right? I'm so pumped. I should probably rewatch the last few episodes.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    So Good Place season 4 comes out this week on Netflix right? I'm so pumped. I should probably rewatch the last few episodes.

Does it? They started airing the last season Sept 25, 2019. I think unless you're in some Euro countries, it's not out yet.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    So, uhm... Doom Patrol? I had no clue what I was getting into. I don’t read DC. Hell I stopped reading Marvel in the 90’s. So being that Frontier Communications now allows us to use HBOX MAX I decided to fire it up and see what it’s all about. I’m in episode 2 or 3 now and am Loving it. Matt Bohmer is kinda boring but since I grew used to his voice in his previous shows I know it’s him and kinda put some of his special expressions where you should see them. I love Brendan Frasier in this. He hasn’t aged well so this is perfect for him. I LOVE how he gives Cyborg shit and makes fun of him all the time. Jane is awesome too. Rita is boring but helps balance the show so far.

Anywho - YES!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular

Does it? They started airing the last season Sept 25, 2019. I think unless you're in some Euro countries, it's not out yet.

No, not this week. But this month, yes. September 26th.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    So, uhm... Doom Patrol? I had no clue what I was getting into. I don’t read DC. Hell I stopped reading Marvel in the 90’s. So being that Frontier Communications now allows us to use HBOX MAX I decided to fire it up and see what it’s all about. I’m in episode 2 or 3 now and am Loving it. Matt Bohmer is kinda boring but since I grew used to his voice in his previous shows I know it’s him and kinda put some of his special expressions where you should see them. I love Brendan Frasier in this. He hasn’t aged well so this is perfect for him. I LOVE how he gives Cyborg shit and makes fun of him all the time. Jane is awesome too. Rita is boring but helps balance the show so far.

Anywho - YES!

Have you watched The Boys, on Prime ?

Also a comic adaptation, but...a very different tone.

Oh, that poor dolphin.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »

No, not this week. But this month, yes. September 26th.

Ahhhhhh hyyyyyype

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    M-Vickers wrote: »

Anywho - YES!

Oh, that poor dolphin.

Oh yes I have and am eagerly awaiting the 2nd season. I’ve also watched the new Watchman thing on HBO. It just that somehow Doom Patrol had flew completely under my radar which is easy to do, as I don’t watch much stuff that shows ads if I can help it.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

Anywho - YES!

Oh, that poor dolphin.

Oh yes I have and am eagerly awaiting the 2nd season. I’ve also watched the new Watchman thing on HBO. It just that somehow Doom Patrol had flew completely under my radar which is easy to do, as I don’t watch much stuff that shows ads if I can help it.

You know what's weird is I really like The Boys, but Doom Patrol did absolutely nothing for me through several episodes until I finally gave up on it. Am I the only one for whom one or the other didn't click?

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Watching Umbrella Academy and this show has so much potential to be good but it always takes forever for the story to get to where it's obviously going, all the story beats are so drawn out that you see them coming from a mile away, and almost everyone besides #5 is a bore and constantly does the dumbest thing possible in every situation. Like, the world and the style and the character foundations are all there, but the plotting and pacing is just a mess.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

You can delete your watch history, that should reset the algorithm. You can even delete specific videos which I think should fix your issue.

Yeah, I've had to remove a number of items so Youtube would stop pestering me with trash. The irony of their hyper-aggressive hyper-terrible algorithm is that it actively discourages me from looking at anything except things I specifically look for, just so I don't end up with shitty videos spamming up my suggestions while on Youtube.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Yeah, I've had to remove a number of items so Youtube would stop pestering me with trash. The irony of their hyper-aggressive hyper-terrible algorithm is that it actively discourages me from looking at anything except things I specifically look for, just so I don't end up with shitty videos spamming up my suggestions while on Youtube.

Also if I see one more god damned Trump ad despite changing my preferences to not show me anything even remotely political I swear to god I'll...

Well, nothing. I'll do nothing. Because there's nothing I can do other than just not use Youtube at all.

Though that's becoming increasingly attractive.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    youtube has ads?

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Watching Umbrella Academy and this show has so much potential to be good but it always takes forever for the story to get to where it's obviously going, all the story beats are so drawn out that you see them coming from a mile away, and almost everyone besides #5 is a bore and constantly does the dumbest thing possible in every situation. Like, the world and the style and the character foundations are all there, but the plotting and pacing is just a mess.

It's definitely not perfect, but the characters and the style work for me, and I quite enjoy it. Just finished season 2 yesterday. The soundtrack also kicks, which makes most of the action scenes and montages a lot of fun.

The set up for season 3 has legs, too, assuming Netflix doesn't randomly cancel it in the interim.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Anywho - YES!

Oh, that poor dolphin.

You know what's weird is I really like The Boys, but Doom Patrol did absolutely nothing for me through several episodes until I finally gave up on it. Am I the only one for whom one or the other didn't click?

I think it took close to 2/3rds of the first season for me to really get into Doom Patrol. The show clearly wants you to be really invested in the lady with all the personalities and I just never was but eventually the other characters make up for it.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    IIRC Jane was a big deal in the comics too.

• Options
    I’m Team Jane all the way, with Team Branden Frasier a close second. The rest are pretty far back.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Has anyone else watched Unknown Origins? It was so-so, but honestly , I have feeling it would have been elevated to good or better if they had put even an iota of effort into the dub. It was like bad fan dub 80's anime level.

Like just the most low effort dub, might rewatch it another day in Spanish with just subs on.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Was hoping there would be more stuff popping up for new month title list but September, moer leik Sleptember m i rite. These are the Netflix standouts:

-Coneheads
    -Due Date
    -The Muppets
    -Muppets Most Wanted
    -Casino Royale
    -Quantum of Solace
    -Puss In Boots

Amazon added:
    -Everly
    -Redline
    -50 First Dates
    -Coneheads
    -Casino Royale
    -Quantum of Solace
    -Drowing Mona
    -Labyrinth
    -Muppets Take Manhattan
    -The New Guy
    -Rambo 4
    -St. Elmo's Fire
    -Stargate

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Woo! Coneheads!

• Options
    I like the entire team, but Rita and Larry aren't as "fun" on screen as Robotman. Crazy Jane is just abrasive, but she's visually interesting. I personally really like April Bowlby as an actress, I think she's a hidden gem, so Rita works for me, even if her story is a little tame and well worn. I also like Matt Bomer and I think he's getting a chance to tell a story that's personal to him, which is moving.

And of course, I've never been bored when Timothy Dalton is on screen. It's kinda weird that after 2 seasons, I still don't view Cyborg as part of the team. He's kind of a dud, actor wise.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Maybe I'm the exception that proves the rule but my Youtube recommendations tend to be pretty spot on. I just checked and none are clickbait, all are channels I actually watch and enjoy.

oa3y21am4o61.png

All of those are YouTube tailored videos. There is nothing wrong with them or wrong with enjoying them. The issue is in seeing the pattern, realizing you are being steered, and wondering what kind of content you might be missing that doesn't fit the mold.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Yeah, every one of those looks like clickbait. Even if they aren't clickbait and have actual content, they're built to look just like trashy clickbait in the hopes of sucking people in to click them. BIG LETTERS! YELLOW FONT COLOR! HYPERBOLIC DESCRIPTIONS! THREE-WORD TITLES! It's painfully obvious stuff and my immediate reaction is to actively avoid anything that looks like that.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    That's just how you gotta make your thumbnails to get clicks. Don't hate the player, hate the game and all that.

The point is that those are, from what they are saying, channels that That_Guy follows or are related to the ones they follow. Which is what you would I guess want the system to do.

shryke on
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/611fw81BN98

I’ll be watching this.

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    haha, that's like a high budget version of a bunch of youtube channels I already watch. So yeah, down for it!

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Lind wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/611fw81BN98

I’ll be watching this.

I'd probably watch it once Apple TV dies the death it deserves and it ends up somewhere else but alas

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    notya wrote: »
    haha, that's like a high budget version of a bunch of youtube channels I already watch. So yeah, down for it!

If you havnt seen it already I can highly recomend the original show Long Way Round. Its from 2004 but I still enjoy it.

• Options
    Lind wrote: »
    notya wrote: »

If you havnt seen it already I can highly recomend the original show Long Way Round. Its from 2004 but I still enjoy it.

And Long way Down though I didn’t think it was as good as the first.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Aggrestsuko S3 was shaping up to be the best season but then the last half of the final episode sort of put a damper on it. But there definitely needs to be an OTM Girls spin-off, it's ripe for being a nice fill-in waiting for the next Aggretsuko season.

Most important thing fist: Inui best girl, Haida's an absolute little bitch for not picking her (sounded like she had Fenneko's VA, in japanese at least). For a show about dealing with what life throws at you it felt very hollywood to keep letting the Haida/Retsuko relationship survive, even with the possible idea the app was rigged to be 100%.

But I really enjoyed how the OTM Girls grew the characters. It felt like they were going to make Manaka a bit more depressed in her normal life and disillusioned at being moved to the side but I'm glad they didn't and her moment at the grocery store did a lot to add depth to her. But it was kind of shit how they show the group has to start at the bottom again because Retsuko leaves. It's not like they would have forgotten all the things they need to be successful or the group would disappear after getting into the concert. It just makes it come across as a bitch move on Retsuko's part, crazy stalker aside.

Still a very good season, just wish it didn't have to hit the reset so hard.

This discussion has been closed.