Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    That's just how you gotta make your thumbnails to get clicks. Don't hate the player, hate the game and all that.

The point is that those are, from what they are saying, channels that That_Guy follows or are related to the ones they follow. Which is what you would I guess want the system to do.

I've also spent a great deal of time tailoring the algorithm to my particular tastes. I "thumbs up" videos I like and "thumbs down" videos I don't like. If I see a video in my feed that I know I wouldn't like, I hit the menu button to remove it from my recommendation list. It's a pretty effective system if you actually work with it.

What I don't get is why people are so hung up on thumbnails. If it's a channel you like, watch the vid and rate it accordingly. If you're unsure and watch it anyway, you can always tell the algorithm to stop recommending that channel. For example, I used to watch a lot of Midnight's Edge videos before I realized they were just making shit up or reporting on obviously fake articles/rumors. All it took was a few clicks and I've not seen a single video of theirs pop up in my feed.

If you never engage with the algorithm than yeah, you're going to get shitty recommendations.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I didn't much care for The Boys S1, but I think I have superhero fatigue, and I'm also generally not impressed by a lot of graphic novel translations, so I'm not the target market, really.

That said, I'm so starved for original, scripted content that I'll gobble this shit up with a smile.

On the unscripted side (or straddling the gap), a new Chef's Table "season" (4 epis) has dropped on Netflix, and it's about BBQ. If nothing else, it's a pretty show to watch. It can get a little up its own butt depending how into food you are and how into food the chef they feature is, but it's a lovely time waster that reminds us of a world we'll have again one day and how excellent it is.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I didn't much care for The Boys S1, but I think I have superhero fatigue, and I'm also generally not impressed by a lot of graphic novel translations, so I'm not the target market, really.

That said, I'm so starved for original, scripted content that I'll gobble this shit up with a smile.

On the unscripted side (or straddling the gap), a new Chef's Table "season" (4 epis) has dropped on Netflix, and it's about BBQ. If nothing else, it's a pretty show to watch. It can get a little up its own butt depending how into food you are and how into food the chef they feature is, but it's a lovely time waster that reminds us of a world we'll have again one day and how excellent it is.

I remember one episode about a guy who's super particular about sourcing high quality local ingredients and it just felt like, "Yeah, lots of chefs probably do that." Kinda didn't wanna watch any more of the show after that.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    At this point I'm more interested in people who cook with shit from their local grocery store.

The whole, "you need a local organic farm to cook food" is annoying.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    At this point I'm more interested in people who cool with shit from their local grocery store.

This is a skill I want to get better at:
    https://youtu.be/wAPH8D2AL8c

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Aggrestsuko S3 was shaping up to be the best season but then the last half of the final episode sort of put a damper on it. But there definitely needs to be an OTM Girls spin-off, it's ripe for being a nice fill-in waiting for the next Aggretsuko season.

Most important thing fist: Inui best girl, Haida's an absolute little bitch for not picking her (sounded like she had Fenneko's VA, in japanese at least). For a show about dealing with what life throws at you it felt very hollywood to keep letting the Haida/Retsuko relationship survive, even with the possible idea the app was rigged to be 100%.

But I really enjoyed how the OTM Girls grew the characters. It felt like they were going to make Manaka a bit more depressed in her normal life and disillusioned at being moved to the side but I'm glad they didn't and her moment at the grocery store did a lot to add depth to her. But it was kind of shit how they show the group has to start at the bottom again because Retsuko leaves. It's not like they would have forgotten all the things they need to be successful or the group would disappear after getting into the concert. It just makes it come across as a bitch move on Retsuko's part, crazy stalker aside.

Still a very good season, just wish it didn't have to hit the reset so hard.

So I kind of like how it's going, specifically because it's not supposed to be a normal kind of story.

The big thing with the show is that it, while cartoonish, it shows a lot of the real complexity and flaws in real people.

Heida is basically a well-meaning stalker. There are a lot of things he does that are creepy and messed up and stink of unhealthy obsession that could easily go too far and become dangerous.

Fenneko is a generalist cyber stalker and overt meddler in other people's lives because she doesn't want to focus on her own life, which could easily turn into a huge emotional crisis when she's forced to look in the mirror instead of the phone.

Retsuko is a *user*. Almost all of her relationships and interactions are about how she can use other people to get what she wants and she rapidly discards or avoids people who she sees no use for. She's not doing it to be cruel or anything, but she sees other people as a means to an end and has basically zero genuine relationships, even though other people are super open to being sincere with her.

Washimi has her whole ice queen routine because she found that being borderline abusive is the only way she can get ahead, and she has a hard time turning it off even with Gori, sometimes treating everyone else like they're children. She probably has some really nasty stuff in her background.

Gori is pretty close to pristine, but she seems to be fighting off depression and anxiety all the time and it leads her to make dubious decisions. She puts up a brave front but she's suffering a lot and there aren't a lot of people who are willing to be there for her emotionally.

Most other major characters are presented as obstacles with (usually hidden) good or understandable sides, either making things difficult then later proving to be not entirely bad, being surprise allies, or being semi-paragons who don't quite fit into anyone's life because they have things too together.

The OTP Girls thing was a bit heavy handed, but it basically showed that Retsuko was capable of being very happy and successful, while enforcing her anxiety that prevents her from doing so, without making it be something she just gives up on for no good reason.

Notably, a number of characters are basically examples of how Retsuko could be if she was able to get over her hangups, though I don't recall many good examples of close, sincere friends. Heida and Fenneko are the closest to that, but they're both obsessing over other people constantly despite being super open with each other.

I'm not sure how many of these possible arcs will get addressed, but there is a ton of possibility here, and S3 is building the tension of the main conflicts pretty firmly.

In addition to the main plot:

Heida basically just threw a healthy relationship away to follow his obsession, after experiencing a firm example of how Aggretsuko only cares that he exists when she wants something.

Fenneko is spending more time on Heida's obsession than her own life, and then is susceptible to the whole VR Boyfriend thing when she's alone.

Gori is throwing her bank account at trying to find happiness.

Things can get really sad really quick with all of these tensions. A lot of possible darkest hours on the horizon.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    At this point I'm more interested in people who cook with shit from their local grocery store.

I actively hate cooking competition shows. They've got nothing to do with food or cooking. They are just another form of reality TV.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular

I rather like Nadiya's Time to Eat for this--she's all about easy-for-weeknight cooking and not so much fuss. It's really nice.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

I actively hate cooking competition shows. They've got nothing to do with food or cooking. They are just another form of reality TV.

I enjoy Chopped just seeing bullshit ingredients and going "wait, what the fuck even is that?" But otherwise, bleh.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    There was a cooking show a bit back where the host took people to local markets and stores and showed them how to cook simple bomb ass meals. Take Home Chef I believe.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Watching Umbrella Academy and this show has so much potential to be good but it always takes forever for the story to get to where it's obviously going, all the story beats are so drawn out that you see them coming from a mile away, and almost everyone besides #5 is a bore and constantly does the dumbest thing possible in every situation. Like, the world and the style and the character foundations are all there, but the plotting and pacing is just a mess.

It's definitely not perfect, but the characters and the style work for me, and I quite enjoy it. Just finished season 2 yesterday. The soundtrack also kicks, which makes most of the action scenes and montages a lot of fun.

The set up for season 3 has legs, too, assuming Netflix doesn't randomly cancel it in the interim.

The soundtrack is incredibly good. Major Tom and Dancing With Myself were standouts, but I can't think of a single scene where a song came up and it not only worked, but it absolutely made the scene better.

I definitely enjoyed Season Two more than Season One. First season really frontloaded almost everyone as angsty assholes and I had to get through a few episodes before really being able to see beyond that. This one spreads out the angst and makes most of them far less assholey.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Finally started Infinity Train.
    https://youtu.be/PbAU2ETBUes

I was expecting an original song, so when the music for "Word Up" started I was enthralled.

I had no idea what I'd been missing.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Watching Umbrella Academy and this show has so much potential to be good but it always takes forever for the story to get to where it's obviously going, all the story beats are so drawn out that you see them coming from a mile away, and almost everyone besides #5 is a bore and constantly does the dumbest thing possible in every situation. Like, the world and the style and the character foundations are all there, but the plotting and pacing is just a mess.

It's definitely not perfect, but the characters and the style work for me, and I quite enjoy it. Just finished season 2 yesterday. The soundtrack also kicks, which makes most of the action scenes and montages a lot of fun.

The set up for season 3 has legs, too, assuming Netflix doesn't randomly cancel it in the interim.

The soundtrack is incredibly good. Major Tom and Dancing With Myself were standouts, but I can't think of a single scene where a song came up and it not only worked, but it absolutely made the scene better.

I definitely enjoyed Season Two more than Season One. First season really frontloaded almost everyone as angsty assholes and I had to get through a few episodes before really being able to see beyond that. This one spreads out the angst and makes most of them far less assholey.

I think what I realized is that I really just don't like Luther, and the show grinds to a halt for me whenever he's onscreen. Diego is kind of a drag too, but at least his actor has some charisma. Although Luther did have the unintentionally-funniest line read, which my fiancee and I had to rewind three times because we were laughing so hard:
    "I'm sorry I slept with that girl... I had just found out that dad sent me to the moon for nothing."

Honestly I would watch a show that was just about #5 the time-traveling assassin.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    I like Luther in this season so much more than the last one of Umbrella Academy. He's much easier to deal with in smaller doses/the backseat to others.

I do think they're doing well with the character arcs showing change but not removing faults of characters entirely.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Holy shit the first three episodes of The Boys sure has some moments

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

Thanks for the reminder that season 2 is up, partially.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Yeah gonna wait a bit to start season 2. I dont really binge watch shows but I do like to watch a few episodes a week.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    The Boys, Season 2 Episode 2:
    That’s Patton Oswalt voicing The Deep’s gills right?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Man the Boys S2. Episode 3 in particular.
    Stormfront did not hide that she was nazi barbie did she? Like not at all. Once she was in the field she seemed to relish being a psycho bitch.

Jokes on her tho, you don't upstage the Homelander. He is a guy who's looks really can kill.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    What is this new episodes weekly nonsense? It's a 3 day weekend and I wanna watch it all nooooooooow.

Anyways, first three episodes were pretty solid.
    Homelander is a hell of a dad, that was an a+ father / son bonding moment. Stormfront welp, that wound up going as expected, but I had my doubts early on they were going to go that direction. I hope Hughie gets his fucking legs under himself from here on, he's been kinda useless so far.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The Boys S2E1

Why did Hugh lie to Starlight again? That was so contrived it's untrue. THere was no reason whatsoever to swear on God that he wasn't lying to her about that. No reason at all. Terrible writing.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Nosf wrote: »
    What is this new episodes weekly nonsense? It's a 3 day weekend and I wanna watch it all nooooooooow.

Yeah, this is pretty infuriating - looking at the structure if they're releasing one episode for the next 5-7 weeks, they're basically putting the subscription costs of the season on par with the original costs of TV series DVDs ~$25-$30.

We'll know if they're being purposeful about this if they lock episodes that are X weeks old as a way of preventing people from subscribing half-way through or close to the end of a series and binge watching then.

thatassemblyguy on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    On my Apple TV over the past two days I was getting plastered with this stupid laser baby ad that Amazon sponsored from a youtuber and that has kind of put a damper on me watching The Boys, I'll probably get around to it after the weekend. There becomes a point where you over saturate and you make me not want to watch something I wanted to watch out of spite to maybe in some small way teach them a lesson.

In Aggretsuko news, OTM Girls look like they're getting youtube shorts, smash that like button!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44VzmKDJi3I

TexiKen on
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

Episode 2 was amazing, had my laughing out loud.
    “You are so beautiful...to me !”

• Options
    UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    So glad this is back. Still do not give a fuck about the aquaman guy though. The scene with the homelander and the vought executive was amazing, just two completely different absolute sociopaths clashing

Also, the guy playing frenchie is one of the most french looking people I have ever seen

• Options
    edited September 2020
    HBO Max just dropped the first three episodes of a series called Raised By Wolves. This shit is a truly trippy super futuristic sci-fi series and it has a certain Alien type feel to it. I look it up after being thoroughly impressed within 10 minutes and, sure enough, this thing is from Ridley Scott and its definitely got his fingerprints all over it.

I'm now twenty minutes in and this thing feels like it could be huge. Not sure why I never heard about it before now. Where did this come from and how did it drop with so little fanfare?!

ObiFett on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    I will always shout from the mountaintops that Guy Fieri is great and also does amazing things for local families / those affected by wildfires / homeless chef training / etc but if you want a good competition cooking show you should watch GGG.

Guy’s Grocery Games is a great cooking show where the competitors are just in a regular ass Safeway grocery store in Petaluma and cook using stuff you can find on nearly every grocery store shelf.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Ok, first episode of Raised By Wolves complete and I feel pretty comfortable in saying this is some revolutionary stuff I'm seeing on screen right now.

I don't know where this show is gonna go, but if the first episode is any indication, I'm in for one hell of a ride.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I am so stoked that season 2 of The Boys has Aya Cash in it. She is basically playing Gretchen with superpowers and yes please.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The Boys S2E1

Why did Hugh lie to Starlight again? That was so contrived it's untrue. THere was no reason whatsoever to swear on God that he wasn't lying to her about that. No reason at all. Terrible writing.

Boys Season 2 episode 1 spoiler and partially just a reference to supernatural

You can take the man out of supernatural but you can't take Supernatural out of the man, Hughie and Annie is basically Sam And Dean except they can fuck and not be all internety.

Man welcome back Boys jesus you're still just you.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I also appreciated someone on the boys writing staff has lived in the pacific northwest, minor spoiler for I think episode 2.

When Homelander incorrectly said Stormfront was from Seattle, her annoyance at saying Portland belies how much people from either hate being equated to the other.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Man the Boys S2. Episode 3 in particular.
    Stormfront did not hide that she was nazi barbie did she? Like not at all. Once she was in the field she seemed to relish being a psycho bitch.

Jokes on her tho, you don't upstage the Homelander. He is a guy who's looks really can kill.
    That was an ok episode. It felt longer than it was though, I don't know if that means some scenes dragged a bit. I'm curious if Homelander would have killed Butcher during that confrontation or just his friends and let him go again. I also think he's going to end up taking his anger at Stormfront out on Starlight because ultimately she did not kill Hugh as ordered.

I was concerned they were going to ignore Stormfront's worse side and not make her a character waiting for a comeuppance, but man they went hard on that.

This is why I prefer a bingeable season though. Gotta wait a freaking week now.

I'm also amazed that 80s music video opening with a guy about to commit suicide was not a parody.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    HBO Max just dropped the first three episodes of a series called Raised By Wolves. This shit is a truly trippy super futuristic sci-fi series and it has a certain Alien type feel to it. I look it up after being thoroughly impressed within 10 minutes and, sure enough, this thing is from Ridley Scott and its definitely got his fingerprints all over it.

I'm now twenty minutes in and this thing feels like it could be huge. Not sure why I never heard about it before now. Where did this come from and how did it drop with so little fanfare?!

I saw the trailers, and it does look amazing.

I'm in the uk, so no HBO for me. I'll either wait for it to come out as a bluray, or I'm sure it'll show up on Prime soon.

Actually, can you get HBO as a prime addon ? Ill check later.

I watched the first ep of Cobra Kai last night, so I'll watch the rest tonight. First episode was actually pretty great, and I've read its great overall.

• Options
    I am so stoked that season 2 of The Boys has Aya Cash in it. She is basically playing Gretchen with superpowers and yes please.

I miss her from that show so much. I didn't know she was gonna be in this so it was a wonderful surprise. She needs to be in more things.

• Options
    So speculation for the boys season 2.

Stormfront is going to kill A train, I feel this in my bones!

Ep 1-3 spoiler

I'll also be the one weirdo and say I like the deeps story so far, I like that they didn't just ignore what was going on with him and we can see beyond his own self loathing Homelander also found his gills disgusting. I wonder where this church of scientology shit is going to go.

I'm a huge fan that Stormfront is basically the internet as a person, incredibly rude and show boaty and hella racist.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The Boys S2E1

Contrived bullshit to keep the that plotline going, yeah. Hopefully get it out of their system by the end of this season.

• Options
    I mean we all know the best 7 member is Black Noir like hands down. Nathan Mitchel brings so much to the character...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    They better not change Black Noir's arc from the books.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Finally watched The Stranger on Netflix, which was a quality mystery/suspense show.

Started Away last night and definitely enjoying it. You'll have to forgive a few technological marvel's that I find annoying (like zero-lag communication between the ship and Earth) but overall a very enjoyable show if you like The Martian and Apollo 13.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    They better not change Black Noir's arc from the books.

Spoiler from episode 3 and previous episodes. And Black Noir in the comic

I think they are basically, all of homelander being awful is directly Homelander so far. If they were going to go with the comic storyline I'd think we see some bread crumbs to it.

Hell in the third episode Noir seemed to be directly affected by the revelation about compound v.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.