Options

How about [movies] that no longer exist?

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Can we get another Bill and Ted series?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qimQKEa7hM

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    That cast for Dune is insane. Let's just have all the hottest middle aged character actor dudes, because why not? All aboard the Villeneuve train.

Also Chalamet was brilliant in the Greta Gerwig Little Women last year. Maybe he's the kind of guy straight men find attractive, because dude was magnetic as hell in that.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Chalamet reminds me of nothing so much as a praying mantis attempting to take on human form, but a) it doesn’t particularly matter, thematically, whether Paul is generally regarded as a hottie and b) why would you even care when Oscar Isaac is around being all Oscar Isaac

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Chalamet reminds me of nothing so much as a praying mantis attempting to take on human form, but a) it doesn’t particularly matter, thematically, whether Paul is generally regarded as a hottie and b) why would you even care when Oscar Isaac is around being all Oscar Isaac

I am definitely more excited to see him. Leto is the kind of role I think Isaac can really sink his teeth into.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Watched the Dune trailer and was astounded at how little I felt for it because I loved the book.

That movie just looks so dark and boring. Somehow a desert planet never has sun, somehow the whole bright blue eyes of the spice are dull. There's no background to look at, no colors, it's all just flat, lifeless and grey.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Well I guess now I'll actually be able to say I've seen Dune from start to finish, once this Dune comes out.

Lol this is only Dune, pt 1

Have they already filmed part 2? No news about who is playing Feyd is an interesting detail to me.

Sting is reprising the role, it was in his original contract that he had to get first refusal.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I think its also a failing to just say everything that comes out of China is pure distilled propaganda. They can't directly go after the government but that doesn't mean all the writers and filmmakers work aren't capable of any nuisance.

Well... The newer stuff is almost incapable of that supposed nuance.

Maybe 20 years ago it was possible, when there was a competing vision for what Chinese cinema could be right next door still fresh in peoples mind. But its 22 years since that ended.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    What movie do you think was more surprising to kids to see after seeing the animated series.

Robocop or Toxic Avenger?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Watched the Dune trailer and was astounded at how little I felt for it because I loved the book.

That movie just looks so dark and boring. Somehow a desert planet never has sun, somehow the whole bright blue eyes of the spice are dull. There's no background to look at, no colors, it's all just flat, lifeless and grey.

FWIW the spice eyes are supposed to be dark in the book, not bright. And while I thought Arrakis in the trailer was a little more drab than I was expecting, it is at least supposed to have dark skies.

Edit: I feel you on the general principle, though. At least for me, I dig the aesthetic of the film that we've seen so far, to the extent that a little austerity in the color palette doesn't bother me.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    What movie do you think was more surprising to kids to see after seeing the animated series.

I was always dissapointed the Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD cartoon never got picked up, that would've been my prefered Troma anime.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

I was surprised after the Beetlejuice cartoon that the titular character seemed to be barely in the movie

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I was very disappointed when Egon didn't have the blonde pompadour.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular

I was surprised after the Beetlejuice cartoon that the titular character seemed to be barely in the movie

And let me tell you, my friend's parents were not amused with a bunch of 9 year olds thinking that the line "Nice fucking model!" (followed by the corresponding hand gesture, of course) was just the funniest shit to repeat over and over after watching the movie at a birthday party.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    We watched Mulan. Wife and oldest liked it, I'd say its OK. We all appreciated the lack of singing, but missed Mushu and hated the witch lady.

I think overall my opinion on remakes is simple: if you aren't aiming for nostalgia factor of pre-existing fans of the property, what even are you doing? Just make a new thing. Maybe this Mulan is more faithful to the original legends? I dunno. All I saw were unimpressive changes to the animated version for no apparent gain.

navgoose on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I think the strangest journey I made was The Mask

Cartoon: wacky romp
    Film: wacky moments but also organised crime plot and some violent stuff
    Original comic: Holy shit that's dark

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »
    That cast for Dune is insane. Let's just have all the hottest middle aged character actor dudes, because why not? All aboard the Villeneuve train.

Also Chalamet was brilliant in the Greta Gerwig Little Women last year. Maybe he's the kind of guy straight men find attractive, because dude was magnetic as hell in that.

Everyone heard oscar isaacs was growing a beard and was like "Shit, get me on that film" in the hopes that some of that raw magnetism would rub off on them via proximity.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Diana Rigg has died. She was 82. RIP.

Jazz on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Long live The Queen of Thorns.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I'm a little surprised at how much the Dune trailer reminds me of a brighter, updated version of Lynch's version (visually). I'm ok with that - it looks slick as hell.

Also, Zimmer doing operatic Floyd? Yes, please, even if it's just trailer schtick. It's not Tangerine Dream, but I'll ride along.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Long live Mrs. Peel.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

Long live The Queen of Thorns.

Olenna was the only one who encouraged Dany to indulge The Dragon, and is probably ultimately responsible for everything that followed.

Today, on the day of her death, it would be in keeping with her character to update that caption to read:

"Tell DB & Weiss. I want them to know it was me"

But Dianna Rigg only played Queen of Thorns, and is probably a much nicer person than her, so I guess don't do that.

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    Long live Mrs. Peel.

The one and only Mrs. Bond.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    I think I’d be up for a TV show set in the Robocop universe.

What was that cop show from about 7 years ago with the cop and his new android partner, set in the near future ?
    Pretty sure 2018 was seven years ago:
    https://youtu.be/ACLvVpn_8vU

Could be wrong.

Those aren't cops, those are coppers. They are talking about Almost Human, starring John Larroquette.

That's the one!

I'd actually forgotten Karl Urban played the grumbly cop. I mostly remember Larroquttes cheekbones

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I think I’d be up for a TV show set in the Robocop universe.

What was that cop show from about 7 years ago with the cop and his new android partner, set in the near future ?
    Pretty sure 2018 was seven years ago:
    https://youtu.be/ACLvVpn_8vU

Could be wrong.

Those aren't cops, those are coppers. They are talking about Almost Human, starring John Larroquette.

That's the one!

I'd actually forgotten Karl Urban played the grumbly cop. I mostly remember Larroquttes cheekbones

They are rather arresting.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Guys I'm not gonna lie, so far I'm enjoying Beyond Thunderdome a lot more than Road Warrior. Not too deep into it yet, so that very well could change.

Soundtrack is p weird tho

Edit: Hmmmm yep it definitely tails off in the second half. It really decides to spin off and tell a totally different story, and then kind of feels like a D&D campaign that's gone wildly off the rails and the GM does some desperate storytelling jank to try to wheel the party back on track, with mixed results. A shame because I really quite enjoyed the first half, and even the idea of the cargo cult kids I didn't mind.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Max emptying his weapons is still something I reference with friends. Hilarious.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

I am definitely more excited to see him. Leto is the kind of role I think Isaac can really sink his teeth into.

bruh

• Options
    remember the tooth

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Beyond Thunderdome had one of the best 80's credit songs, which is a stacked category:

https://youtu.be/OIe7N3zH5eU

Also bitchin as a heavy metal anthem:

https://youtu.be/xKwQKqQ8MMY

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Next time I'm at my parents old house I'll have to go dig through my dad's old vinyls because I'm sure there is a Beyond Thunderdome soundtrack still buried somewhere in there.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

bruh
    You know it must be done, SiG.

Guard the door.
    y9s0rlz2d27g.png

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    It's a shame they never made an Aliens Cartoon show to along with those awesome 90s toys.
    https://youtu.be/qpYMfflioJE

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    It's a shame they never made an Aliens Cartoon show to along with those awesome 90s toys.
    https://youtu.be/qpYMfflioJE

They had intended for there to be a cartoon show as a commercial for those toys.

https://comicsalliance.com/operation-aliens-kenner-alien-toys/

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Every hard R franchise needed a cartoon and children's toys

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Conan the Adventurer

huvmi2sqvcy1.jpg

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Rambo, Toxic Avenger, RoboCop

All had toys

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Rambo: The Force of Freedom

jvqb8jdmw9r4.png

Woof

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Conan the Adventurer

huvmi2sqvcy1.jpg

This show fucking ruled! I still remember the theme song. CONAN the adventurer! Conan warrior without fear!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    There was a tales from the crypt cartoon too right?

• Options
    There was a tales from the crypt cartoon too right?

Apparently? But I don't understand how I wouldn't remember this:
    https://images.app.goo.gl/ZBErUuixzcagwFX36

This discussion has been closed.