Options

[Homeowner/House] Thread. How long is it going to take? Two weeks!

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Opty wrote: »
    The main reason why I went for a trimmer for all my mowing needs was because the back yard is a story below the front yard and I didn't want to have to cart a mower up and down the hill leading back there. I still need to experiment with different types of string to best find the one that "cuts" the way I like the most, I keep forgetting to check out the different types when I'm in the hardware store.

I had an Aero-Flex. Not great for trimming right next to the house, but if I needed to cut alot of grass (like the area near my mailbox) I loved it. I just carried an extra set of the blades with me if I needed to use them while weedeating, since you can change them out in about a minute.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Well shit. Looks like the Denver area is getting below freezing temps and possible snow this Tuesday. Looks like I need a crash course on winterizing a house. I know I need to make sure my irrigation system is prepared but fuck if I know what that entails. I need to blow out my sprinkler system I guess? To youtube...

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Well shit. Looks like the Denver area is getting below freezing temps and possible snow this Tuesday. Looks like I need a crash course on winterizing a house. I know I need to make sure my irrigation system is prepared but fuck if I know what that entails. I need to blow out my sprinkler system I guess? To youtube...

If you have a crawlspace, close the vents on the side of your house. Otherwise, they become corridors for freezing your water pipes.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

If you have a crawlspace, close the vents on the side of your house. Otherwise, they become corridors for freezing your water pipes.

I have a very small crawlspace, but it's below a finished basement. I know there's a sump pump down there, but I don't think there are any vents to open or close, at least as far as I can see around the sides of the house.

I think I've figured out how to drain the irrigation system: there's a shutoff to the irrigation t-ing off the mains, and what looks like a drain valve just after the ball valve shutoff (facing up, which seems stupid?), a pressure vacuum breaker on the side of the house, and a what looks like a drain valve in the main irrigation box.

According to this video: I should shut off the irrigation at the mains, open the drain valve there, open the test cocks on the on the PVB to break the siphon allowing everything behind the PVB to drain down, then drain the rest of the system at the irrigation box.

From here I'm not sure if I need to hire someone to blow the system out with compressed air, or if it will be good enough just to drain things at the irrigation box. I have a compressor but everything I've read says that most homeowner compressors lack the volume for the job. I don't mind hiring someone to do this, but based on all my experiences so far, everybody on the planet who does this kind of work is 100% busy.

* Spoke to my brother, who lives nearby and has been here for decades, and he's saying don't worry about it - he's not winterizing his system yet, just watering sunday and turning his system off - not draining or anything. I still might drain it for practice, but I'm not going to bother with a blow out just yet.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    it just means you'll need to let the compressor refill a few times. I don't see why it couldn't be done with your own compressor. You don't have to get it 100% dry; you just have to get it dry enough that any ice won't burst the lines. So a trace of water is okay

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    As a reward for helping my father in law clear out his garage he gave me a 15 year old air compressor, a tile saw no guard a dubious looking table saw, and a circular saw...no guard.

I’m not sure if he’s trying to help me or maim me... or both.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    As a reward for helping my father in law clear out his garage he gave me a 15 year old air compressor, a tile saw no guard a dubious looking table saw, and a circular saw...no guard.

"Back in my day" and so on.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular

I can get no guard on a table saw, it's debatable in some circles that it's actually safer without. But why the fuck would you take a guard off a circular saw? How would you ever set it down on the ground without destroying the blade, or worse the arbor.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I have discovered there are like 3 different socket sizes that are all considered “candelabra.” Two sets of bulb returns later and I am about ready to just replace this stupid light fixture.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    I have discovered there are like 3 different socket sizes that are all considered “candelabra.” Two sets of bulb returns later and I am about ready to just replace this stupid light fixture.

Yes, "candelabra" lights are horrible and the worst, inconsistent sizing and they don't even have the dignity of providing decent lighting! It should be abolished as a thing. I have several fixtures with them and they're all different sizes.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »

I can get no guard on a table saw, it's debatable in some circles that it's actually safer without. But why the fuck would you take a guard off a circular saw? How would you ever set it down on the ground without destroying the blade, or worse the arbor.

I have an old Black & Decker 5 1/2 inch circular saw, from back when everything was made of that baby poop tan plastic including the blade guard. It's great for cutting paneling but the guard was so chewed up it wouldn't retract just from pushing it against material so you'd have to manually pull it back so I took it off. Just have to remember to flip it on its side when I set it down.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    We were suppose to close on our house August 19th.

We did not close on our house August 19th.

The renters in the house decided on the 30th of July instead of moving out, they were going to file a $26,000 lien against the owner for "improvements made to the house and labor" they claimed they had made and been promised they would be compensated for. Except none of that ever actually happened...

We're buying the house for just the tax assed value from the owner because of the state it's in. A house in the same neighborhood, smaller, with a smaller lot, recently sold for more than double what we're buying this one for, if that tells you how bad it is.

So we're paying $52 per day past the 19th to keep our rate locked, because it's a dang good rate and we don't want another credit pull to redo the mortgage.

They had an eviction hearing at the beginning of August, something went screwy about it so they had a second one mid-August, they lost that one and had 10 days to appeal, they lost that appeal and we're ordered out by September 1st, they still aren't out so now there's a forced eviction set for the 15th where the Sheriff comes and takes everything still in the house and changes the locks.

I would be worried, but we already planned this as a gut rehab pretty much. All of it is worth the trouble considering we can put $100,000 into it, and that plus the mortgage would still be $100,000 less than what the smaller one up the street sold for.

Also, it has a 2000 square foot garage on a full slab with lift-height ceilings...

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    That's not a garage. That's a second house.

• Options
    Turning the garage into a house and tearing down the house to build a garage has definitely been considered.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Simpsonia wrote: »

I have an old Black & Decker 5 1/2 inch circular saw, from back when everything was made of that baby poop tan plastic including the blade guard. It's great for cutting paneling but the guard was so chewed up it wouldn't retract just from pushing it against material so you'd have to manually pull it back so I took it off. Just have to remember to flip it on its side when I set it down.

It was in fact lying on it's side.

• Options
    Turning the garage into a house and tearing down the house to build a garage has definitely been considered.
    An elevator mechanic I used to work with, who was the Leonardo Da-vinci of elevators, had a 400 thousand dollar garage, attached to a single wide trailer.

• Options
    An elevator mechanic I used to work with, who was the Leonardo Da-vinci of elevators, had a 400 thousand dollar garage, attached to a single wide trailer.

The guy who built it, the one we're buying it from, bought a 1959 Silver Cloud II, dream car, spent years saving for it. One of the first times he took it out to drive it, someone ran a stop sign and crunched the front right fender, headlight, bumper. He had it crated and sent back to Rolls Royce to be restored, it took a year. When he got it back he was so paranoid he wouldn't drive it, just kept it in the garage polishing it. When he finally got up the nerve, he started it and let it run a bit, at which point the engine caught fire due to the nests field mice had built in the exhaust manifold, burned up the entire engine compartment before he got it put out.

He was so furious he dragged it into his front yard and left it there for 2 years while he fought the insurance company. It was the classiest, trashiest thing ever.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    My house has sold! I will show myself to the door as I am a simple renter now.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    What ant bait do you all use for black ants?

When I google it the reviews seem to indicate the Terro liquid bait stations. But internet reviews are lies. And in addition to that I need something that will work outdoors.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The liquid traps have worked great for me when there’s a clear entry point. Be sure to put them on a plate or something, as the liquid bait can spill out, as can the wall of dead ants that will accrue at the entrance to the trap. Might need to use a few before the stream stops, and the number of ants will probably increase a frightening amount in the short-term, but it’s low maintenance.

Edit: Diatomaceous earth is also something I’ve recommended based off past experience. Non-toxic, crushed fossils that essentially dehydrate any insect that crawls through the dust. When there were ants in the apartment carpet I would sprinkle some in the bad corners, then comb it into the fibers. You have to apply it correctly (meaning not just sprinkle it around everywhere), but it works great and isn’t that difficult (that plus extreme quarantine measures helped me deal with a bed bug infestation almost a decade ago).

Edit: I’ve also heard about using the diatomaceous earth outdoors, but I have a hard time seeing how it could work without regular maintenance- it’s a fine dust that clumps when wet, which I would think would end it’s effective life. But some people apparently use it around garden plants, so it might be worth looking into.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    The liquid traps have worked great for me when there’s a clear entry point. Be sure to put them on a plate or something, as the liquid bait can spill out, as can the wall of dead ants that will accrue at the entrance to the trap. Might need to use a few before the stream stops, and the number of ants will probably increase a frightening amount in the short-term, but it’s low maintenance.

Edit: Diatomaceous earth is also something I’ve recommended based off past experience. Non-toxic, crushed fossils that essentially dehydrate any insect that crawls through the dust. When there were ants in the apartment carpet I would sprinkle some in the bad corners, then comb it into the fibers. You have to apply it correctly (meaning not just sprinkle it around everywhere), but it works great and isn’t that difficult (that plus extreme quarantine measures helped me deal with a bed bug infestation almost a decade ago).

Edit: I’ve also heard about using the diatomaceous earth outdoors, but I have a hard time seeing how it could work without regular maintenance- it’s a fine dust that clumps when wet, which I would think would end it’s effective life. But some people apparently use it around garden plants, so it might be worth looking into.

Diatomeceous earth does work well outdoors too. It doesn't work when wet, but starts working again as soon as it has dried out again. On my new deck tile patio, I was not ready for the amount of ants that would climb all over it and the furniture. Took about a cup of diatomaceous earth, sprinkled it liberally over the whole patio then swept through the cracks. Unfortunately it left a ton of white dust all over the patio so I used the hose to wash away all the rest. It took about a week and a half to really start working, but I haven't seen any ants on the patio at all since then.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Anyone ever have to talk with neighbors about a flood light coming into your house? Not sure if this was just installed or was there and never turned on, but the one they have seems to just...point up/at our house. They are supposed to point down, right?

We don't have issues with any of our neighbors since we moved in at the end of May. Haven't really met these neighbors though besides the time a package of ours was brought over.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Anyone ever have to talk with neighbors about a flood light coming into your house? Not sure if this was just installed or was there and never turned on, but the one they have seems to just...point up/at our house. They are supposed to point down, right?

We don't have issues with any of our neighbors since we moved in at the end of May. Haven't really met these neighbors though besides the time a package of ours was brought over.

Seems like something simple enough to talk about. Will also probably tell you whether your neighbors are dicks or not.

Also, some lights can be pointed up if they're trying to light something up at night. I know some people like to light up their trees at night or their house or whatever. If it's pointed at your house, it could just be they pointed it wrong or something.

Edit: Thinking about it some more, if it's a high mounted floodlight pointing at your house, it could just be a light that's configured to throw light over an entire back yard or whatever but instead is pointed at a side yard and thus your house.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    What ant bait do you all use for black ants?

When I google it the reviews seem to indicate the Terro liquid bait stations. But internet reviews are lies. And in addition to that I need something that will work outdoors.

This stuff, Optigard Ant Bait Gel Box.

By far the most effective I have used. The terro bait stations do not even compare. Its an actual pesticide, one of those neonicotinoids. But it works.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular

Seems like something simple enough to talk about. Will also probably tell you whether your neighbors are dicks or not.

Also, some lights can be pointed up if they're trying to light something up at night. I know some people like to light up their trees at night or their house or whatever. If it's pointed at your house, it could just be they pointed it wrong or something.

Edit: Thinking about it some more, if it's a high mounted floodlight pointing at your house, it could just be a light that's configured to throw light over an entire back yard or whatever but instead is pointed at a side yard and thus your house.

I 100% understand what you've said, but it is legit a high mounted floodlight that points up. Not toward their house or any trees. I think they mean for it to light the area between our houses, which is great! But yea, it is like they are trying to shine a light on a cloud or the sun or something.

I went over at lunch, but no one was home. They are in and out since they have been remodeling since we moved here. I just have to catch them when they are at this house so I can just chat. They have a Ring doorbell apparently, so they should know that I stopped by at least. I plan to go over after work/if I see them. If not, I think we will write a letter for now to just say hi and let them know we tried to stop by to chat.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

I 100% understand what you've said, but it is legit a high mounted floodlight that points up. Not toward their house or any trees. I think they mean for it to light the area between our houses, which is great! But yea, it is like they are trying to shine a light on a cloud or the sun or something.

I went over at lunch, but no one was home. They are in and out since they have been remodeling since we moved here. I just have to catch them when they are at this house so I can just chat. They have a Ring doorbell apparently, so they should know that I stopped by at least. I plan to go over after work/if I see them. If not, I think we will write a letter for now to just say hi and let them know we tried to stop by to chat.

Good luck!

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    We have new neighbors! They moved in a couple weeks ago. The owner is a construction manager, and his employees from out of state are living there while they work on a state road project. I guess they're going to be fixing the place up and selling it at the end, splitting the profits.

The other night they were burning some of the brush and stuff they cut down and having a little party outside. No big deal, it was like seven o'clock, and the house is on the opposite side of my house from my daughter's room so it's not like they were going to keep her up. Someone else cared though because the cops were called on them.

Queue a few minutes later when they crank their music way louder (on a song we like) and pounding our window and door yelling that we should have talked to them instead of calling the cops which, again, we didn't. I've never seen my wife be so assertive, but she told them "that wasn't us, we like this song, we don't care about you being loud or having a fire unless you catch our house on fire. If you do, just give it a few minutes to really get it going before you call 911."

Well I spoke to another neighbor today who relayed some of the screaming they were doing. Like calling my wife a "fat dumb c---" and saying "her stupid sign, black lives don't matter." Guess we know who stole the sign that actually I bought and put out. But on the good side, this neighbor is our state rep and on the transportation commission, so any other bullshit happens and she'll bring it up with their boss.

Just gotta deal with them for a couple more months.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I legit thought you were going to say you have carpenter ants. I'm not sure which version of the story would be better

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    We have new neighbors! They moved in a couple weeks ago. The owner is a construction manager, and his employees from out of state are living there while they work on a state road project. I guess they're going to be fixing the place up and selling it at the end, splitting the profits.

The other night they were burning some of the brush and stuff they cut down and having a little party outside. No big deal, it was like seven o'clock, and the house is on the opposite side of my house from my daughter's room so it's not like they were going to keep her up. Someone else cared though because the cops were called on them.

Queue a few minutes later when they crank their music way louder (on a song we like) and pounding our window and door yelling that we should have talked to them instead of calling the cops which, again, we didn't. I've never seen my wife be so assertive, but she told them "that wasn't us, we like this song, we don't care about you being loud or having a fire unless you catch our house on fire. If you do, just give it a few minutes to really get it going before you call 911."

Well I spoke to another neighbor today who relayed some of the screaming they were doing. Like calling my wife a "fat dumb c---" and saying "her stupid sign, black lives don't matter." Guess we know who stole the sign that actually I bought and put out. But on the good side, this neighbor is our state rep and on the transportation commission, so any other bullshit happens and she'll bring it up with their boss.

Just gotta deal with them for a couple more months.
    I mean if you want to be petty and cost them an assload of money Shoot me a PM I’ll find out who the state safety people (state version of OSHA, in Maryland it’s MOSH) are and I’ll give you the ammunition to give a credible report that will likely get a safety person out there and get them fined. I’ve never seen a fully compliant construction site.

zepherin on
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    House selling/buying update: We are have only one more inspection related repair to do before close (our concrete front steps settled enough that the step-rise isn't up to code). Packing is well under way.

New house is looking great, the backyard is truly 3 times bigger than our entire yard in the current place, and I am stoked to have a deck. Now the thing I am focused on worrying about is that, because we are occupying our current house for 48 hours after close (which is great! we don't have to get temp housing or do any financing stuff, we can just use our money from close on the new place), we are giving the buyers a $2000 deposit in case of damage caused by us moving out. I am only really worried that they will try to nickle and dime us out of it.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    Refi in progress. 20yr at 2.875. Whee!

Now to delete all this spam. "HI! I SEE YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A MORTGAGE!" "HI! I SEE YOU THAWED YOUR CREDIT HERE'S 800 THINGS! "

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Refi in progress. 20yr at 2.875. Whee!

Now to delete all this spam. "HI! I SEE YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A MORTGAGE!" "HI! I SEE YOU THAWED YOUR CREDIT HERE'S 800 THINGS! "
    Damn that’s a good rate. Best we were able to do was 3.5.

• Options
    And of course <local bank> calls with 2.60 fixed and a bit cheaper on closing costs. Already signed with Rocket and talked it over with the wife. The difference is basically a wash. I just hate having buyer's remorse

• Options

aaaand returning set of bulbs number 3. Through rigorous testing I have determined that this light fixture is, in fact, made of hot bullshit.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

aaaand returning set of bulbs number 3. Through rigorous testing I have determined that this light fixture is, in fact, made of hot bullshit.

Not to be the guy who runs the risk of giving you worthless advice you already know and tried... but have you tried taking the old bulb with you to the store and just compare them then and there before you buy it? The stuff in blister packs is harder to compare, but anything in a box, nobody cares if you open the box to check. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

Can you measure with some calipers or something? Just measure your old one and the new ones until they match in the store.

Edit: ha, Wolfman beat me to it.

MichaelLC on
  • Options

Not to be the guy who runs the risk of giving you worthless advice you already know and tried... but have you tried taking the old bulb with you to the store and just compare them then and there before you buy it? The stuff in blister packs is harder to compare, but anything in a box, nobody cares if you open the box to check. :)

The old bulbs didn’t fit either. They only worked because the previous owner had kind of screwed them in askew so they were jammed against the contact.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    tbh sounds like a new fixture would be easier than this bullshit.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Alright home owner thread, I'm stumped on this one. As part of now owning a home, the wife would like me to hang a bunch of shit on walls. Fine. I have a couple of stud finders: a nicer one that works flawlessly for studs but does not detect AC wiring, and a cheaper one that I keep on hand to check for wiring before I do anything big. The latter seems to work correctly, as I can trace wires coming off of outlets, switches, etc. This combo has worked fine, save for one interior wall.

There is one wall where the entire wall lights up as live AC. Floor to ceiling, left to right, doesn't matter. Other walls in the same room trace normally, but this one wall just triggers no matter where I put the sensor. This is an interior wall separating a room from a hallway in a relatively new (about 5 years) construction home, so there shouldn't be any previous remodeling shenanigans. Is metal lathe still a thing? I cannot believe that this entire wall is really a mesh of live wires, but I figured I should check before I start drilling into it.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Alright home owner thread, I'm stumped on this one. As part of now owning a home, the wife would like me to hang a bunch of shit on walls. Fine. I have a couple of stud finders: a nicer one that works flawlessly for studs but does not detect AC wiring, and a cheaper one that I keep on hand to check for wiring before I do anything big. The latter seems to work correctly, as I can trace wires coming off of outlets, switches, etc. This combo has worked fine, save for one interior wall.

There is one wall where the entire wall lights up as live AC. Floor to ceiling, left to right, doesn't matter. Other walls in the same room trace normally, but this one wall just triggers no matter where I put the sensor. This is an interior wall separating a room from a hallway in a relatively new (about 5 years) construction home, so there shouldn't be any previous remodeling shenanigans. Is metal lathe still a thing? I cannot believe that this entire wall is really a mesh of live wires, but I figured I should check before I start drilling into it.

Cut the power to the whole house at the circuit breaker. Then see if your stud finder still detects AC.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
This discussion has been closed.