As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Kingdom Rush Vengeance, Aquanox & Crown Trick out today!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    specifically for decreasing the size of silicon circuitry and thus increasing how complex a computer chip we can make in the same space, yeah we're pretty close to the limits of the physical properties there

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    specifically for decreasing the size of silicon circuitry and thus increasing how complex a computer chip we can make in the same space, yeah we're pretty close to the limits of the physical properties there

I would say that cutting edge research is up against the limit for just making chips like the ones we do now but with smaller components and therefore less power therefore less heat etc...

There is quite a ways between that research and what is in affordable consumer grade chips.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    yeah there's "what can we do" and "what can we reasonably do"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I did the same thing as Loki and it lowered my temperatures significantly. For whatever reason, even without overclocking the thing, running at 100% power caused my CPU to top out at 80ish degrees on average. Lowering the power input made it so the thing never topped 65.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Hey was there something particularly egregious about Greedfall? I vaguely remember being put off playing it by something when it first released, but I can't recall exactly what that was.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    It’s very much got colonialism all over it, iirc

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    It at least doesn't try to portray it as anything other than bad, and also manages to sidestep the white savior shit that usually accompanies such stories.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It sidesteps those things to varying success, in my opinion.

It's got problems, but it isn't as bad as it could have been. It's a decent b-game.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Ahh yeah, it must have been the colonialism stuff.

Been trying to scratch a weird itch lately to find a decent RPG that sits somewhere between a Dragon Age and a Witcher.

By all appearances, Greedfall seems to be the closest thing to that that I’ve found, but I dunno if I want to commit money to finding out with something that’s already gonna bug me, story wise.

Veldrin on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Depends on how much stuff like what's in it would bug you. It's not glorifying colonialism, but it's also not really saying anything about it it just has it as a setting. But also also it does stuff to make it different enough from our world's colonialism that it kind of stops being at all recognizable. It's a weird story. But not in an interesting way that will stick with you it just kinda made me go 'huh' and then stop thinking about it the second I finished.

It's definitely not worth full price. But I deliberately give it the b-game moniker in that it's not really trying to fill a bigger role than it can achieve.

For a decent rpg that's between a dragon age and a witcher I could say the Amalur remake but I don't know if that's worth full price either.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I am replaying Deus Ex Mankind Divided (because that game is good and I miss Deus Ex) and I had completely forgotten about all the absolutely heinous micro transaction DLC that you absolutely don’t need at all but they included for some reason, some of it being straight up consumable one-time-only items

Doing research, loose talk suggests this was a publisher mandated decision that came down at the very end of development without any warning and they had to scramble to bolt it in at all

Square killed Deus Ex and I am still mad about it

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I am replaying Deus Ex Mankind Divided (because that game is good and I miss Deus Ex) and I had completely forgotten about all the absolutely heinous micro transaction DLC that you absolutely don’t need at all but they included for some reason, some of it being straight up consumable one-time-only items

Doing research, loose talk suggests this was a publisher mandated decision that came down at the very end of development without any warning and they had to scramble to bolt it in at all

yeah the pay for praxis points never made much sense, the game gives you more than you need for free

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »

yeah the pay for praxis points never made much sense, the game gives you more than you need for free

How it works is where the whole thing feels insane to me—stuff like “elite” weapons (which I think were preorder bonuses but now are free downloads) are reusable across play throughs. Each new game, you get access to your elite weapons.

The praxis points and ammo and stuff though? Those get used once, in a single game, and that’s it. And if you collect it from storage, and then die without saving since you used it, when you load the game before you collected it, it’s still gone

You can permanently lose something you paid real money for in a single player game

Honestly what the hell was Square’s problem, they invested really hard in Deus Ex as a brand for about a year and then immediately dropped it when it didn’t do whatever crazy numbers they had predicted internally, I am SO bitter about it, not like Mass Effect bitter but pretty close to it

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Oh
    'Dose
    Saxual
    Tools

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Oh
    'Dose
    Saxual
    Tools

No! NO! NOT AGAINNNNNNN

• Options
    you paid me for four sessions, you gonna git four sessions

• Options
    edited September 2020
    "Dreamscaper is an ARPG Roguelite blending elements from brawlers, top-down shooters, and dungeon crawlers. Every slumber is a different dungeon in an ever-changing world with a multitude of unique events and challenges. Play as Cassidy, dive into her subconscious and take on the surreal nightmares she wrestles with in order to save her from a dark fate.
    Features

Lean into the nightmares and make the rush of permadeath your ally.
    Use lucid powers to manipulate the elements, warp space, and even control time itself.
    Battle bosses that embody Isolation, Fear, Negativity, Loss and more.
    Upgrade a multitude of surreal items and discover powerful artifacts.
    Live Cassidy's waking life and uncover the mystery of her story."
    20200814 Dreamscaper (early access, hack and slash, roguelite, surreal, action, narrative)

Forget everything you know about drifting. Inertial Drift tears up the racing rule book with innovative twin-stick controls, completely re-imagined driving mechanics and a roster of fiercely individual cars.
    20200911 Intertial Drift (racing, drifting, split-screen multiplayer)

Brolo on
  • Options
    I really like Dreamscaper

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

A fair number of new games also show up on Apple Arcade; I tried Monsters Expedition, and it is unsurprisingly very very similar to A Good Snowman Is Hard To Find (and all the other post-Sokoban games) -- if you like block-pushing puzzles this is one of them.

(I made it through A Good Snowman with a lot of pain and some help from guides, and after five minutes of Monsters Expedition it was pretty obvious how things were going to go; I don't know if I have the energy to push trees around for as long as I pushed bits of snowmen around, sadly)

This is on Apple Arcade as well -- it's been pretty easy so far, it's a mixture of wandering around a (very pretty) world, some trivial-to-easy logic/push-blocks/flip-switches puzzles, a bit of Lucasarts-style "take this object to that person" stuff. Very relaxing to play.

(I tried the Samurai Jack game which also showed up on apple arcade but I couldn't get past the touchscreen controls)

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Spelunky 2 IGN review
    They gave it a 10. So safe to say, if you liked the last one, you should deffo pick this up.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I realized I literally don't know, as a person with a One X, if the Series S is better or worse than what I already have if I'm just doing 1080p

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I realized I literally don't know, as a person with a One X, if the Series S is better or worse than what I already have if I'm just doing 1080p

I have an Xbox One S.

My TV does 1080p so I didn't bother with an X.

Doing some research, some games do appear to take a framerate hit occasionally but not enough for me to actually care that much.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

if i'm following things right, it's better

what that headline is very confusingly saying is that, the one x has a certain system for prettying up games

the series s won't use that system, and will instead use its own, presumably better system for prettying up old games

i would assume it would involve some of the stuff they were saying a while back, like when they claimed they can retroactively insert raytracing into 360 games

Speed Racer on
  • Options

what that headline is very confusingly saying is that, the one x has a certain system for prettying up games

the series s won't use that system, and will instead use its own, presumably better system for prettying up old games

i would assume it would involve some of the stuff they were saying a while back, like when they claimed they can retroactively insert raytracing into 360 games

"....but will instead run Xbox One S versions of Xbox one and Xbox 360 titles".

I don't think it is?

As much as I am a Xbox guy, the fact that we're having this discussion shows their naming conventions are fucking terrible

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

I don't think it is?

As much as I am a Xbox guy, the fact that we're having this discussion shows their naming conventions are fucking terrible

Oh. I misread that as "will instead run Xbox Series S versions of Xbox One and Xbox 360 titles"

it's a cool and good naming convention they have that isn't hard to keep track of at all

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I've started playing Paradise Killer, and while overall i'm into this game, the lore/writing in it is convoluted to the point of feeling like it's a bad translation. It is seriously insane stuff, and it doesn't feel on purpose. Every piece of dialogue is literally on the edge of being complete run-on sentence fragment gibberish.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Spelunky 2 IGN review
    They gave it a 10. So safe to say, if you liked the last one, you should deffo pick this up.

It's getting a lot great reviews that basically say "Like Spelunky 1, but better." It's a shame I have to wait 2 more weeks for it :(

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    cursedking wrote: »
    I've started playing Paradise Killer, and while overall i'm into this game, the lore/writing in it is convoluted to the point of feeling like it's a bad translation. It is seriously insane stuff, and it doesn't feel on purpose. Every piece of dialogue is literally on the edge of being complete run-on sentence fragment gibberish.

Clearly the devs took inspiration from my English Lit A level exam papers.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Better for Series games, perhaps worse for One games (because the S runs the non-X versions of those, apparently). So delightfully clear and intuitive.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Yep you're spot on. It all makes perfect sense:

The XBox Series S will play Xbox 360 and XBOne games using its own version of upscaling (based off the XBox One S), it will not use the same system as the XBox One X.

Can someone remind me, is the XBox One S better than the XBox One X, or is it the other way around?

• Options
    edited September 2020
    It's weird because the setup/lore of the game is very high concept anime bullshit, but it in general makes sense when you go with it. But then you try to talk to someone on the ground and it feels like you're having a stroke

edit: Actually after thinking about this, what the writing reminds me most of is the HyperCube/TimeCube website. It's completely that vibe.

cursedking on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Is the xbox naming convention like some sort of obfuscatory psyop on the part of microsoft or some sort of high inertia fuck up

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Yep you're spot on. It all makes perfect sense:

The XBox Series S will play Xbox 360 and XBOne games using its own version of upscaling (based off the XBox One S), it will not use the same system as the XBox One X.

Can someone remind me, is the XBox One S better than the XBox One X, or is it the other way around?

S is better, like S tier. X is really bad, it's only better than the Series Y and Z.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Is the xbox naming convention like some sort of obfuscatory psyop on the part of microsoft or some sort of high inertia fuck up

there was a post some time back that was about how historically these names have been done in a vacuum by marketing companies, instead of thinking about the history of the company as a whole, which makes sense to me as something a company would stupidly do.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular

I don't think it is?

There's no doubt in my mind the confusion is on purpose. Microsoft have been striving to eliminate the generational distinction for a while now and making people throw their arms in the air and go "whatever, it's an Xbox" when the topic is discussed goes a long way to achieving that. I imagine they'd love to get people to treat consoles like phones, where you're tied to an ecosystem and just upgrade when a new one rolls around. And what's this, there are monthly payment plans to buy one? What a coinkidink.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The S consoles are native 1080p gaming machines. (Series S is technically native 1440p, but whatever) The X consoles are native 4k machines.

The "series" consoles are more powerful/faster than their "one" equivalents.

Regarding the One X and the Series S, the Series S is more powerful/faster, but again, doesn't do native 4k. It can only upscale.

Undead Scottsman on
This discussion has been closed.