As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Devil May Cry 5 Announced: MY GRANDFATHER IS TOO POWERFUL

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Vergil coming to PC, but maybe not all the other enhancements? Wouldn't assume the worst, but they never did patch the PC version of DmC with the Definitive Edition stuff that made it a much better game...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I'm kind of curious how playable Vergil's DT works. When he transforms in the trailer there's a DT explosion, which I think might have bigger range than Nero's.

I think it'd have made sense if he had his old DT from 3 and 4 and the new form was his SDT, like Dante, but then they'd actually have to make a new model for the old DT.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I’m guessing his main DT is to summon his Doppelgänger, V is a separate thing or another option for the meter, and SDT is used similar to how Dante does it.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm assuming no playable Trish or Lady, which is disappointing. I'd like them to actually do something.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Capcom, you cheeky dickwaffles. I knew you were gonna pull this off sooner or later.
    The new modes do look pretty good though. I wish Trish and Lady were playable though. They did it once before, so they already have movesets to work from. (Unless they're also planned DLC later on)

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Vergil coming to PC, but maybe not all the other enhancements? Wouldn't assume the worst, but they never did patch the PC version of DmC with the Definitive Edition stuff that made it a much better game...

It doesn't look like the Special Edition is coming to PC, which is utterly baffling. Hopefully PC gets it at a later date.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Looks like hes only getting one weapon. No extras. Just a few things tacked on like a "V" trigger.

While I appreciate the pun, was hoping for more weapons.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Mmm, I guess LDK and the shinier graphics are a nice selling point for the new consoles, and while PC could definitely do the same, maybe it's a marketing move to only deliver the standalone Vergil DLC that the PS4 and Xbone are getting, to make the new consoles look better? Or to be hopelessly optimistic, PC will get a patch for the shinier graphics and LDK and we only gotta pay for Vergil...

Also, wonder if the V transformation might just be a super move, alternative to Judgement Cut End maybe?

Bummed he's only using the Yamato, but I could see them cribbing from DmC - there Vergil had the one weapon, but holding the left or right trigger let you change stance, for heavier and slower attacks or lighter aoe type moves. He'd got that new Stinger style teleport stab in the boss fight in DMC5, could definitely use the same input as Rapid Slash but with a trigger held, y'know?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'll probably eventually get the special edition but nothing on there is like must buy.

If they rebalanced and added stuff sure but this update seems pretty small.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I get tired of this double dipping.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. This update seems pretty barebones and most of the PS5 updates seem to be just more stuff on the screen.

Which I'm sure will be fun but also eh.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I mean. I'll get it. But meh.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Haha, oh dear. The Special Edition box art (spoilers) is hilariously bad compared to the original.

It's got it all. Awkward character placement that makes Dante look like a giant, big faces in the background, reviewer blurb on the front of the box, actiony poses because the original setup wasn't cool enough? And a NEW FUNKY VERGIL MODE tag.

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    I love this game but I've never really been a vergil fanboy. The real way to make this interesting would be to allow full coop bloody palace now that it will support crazy amounts of enemies.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I like Vergil but you've had 6 games that have involved his rivalry with Dante in some way and usually with the same powerset. Do something different.

• Options
  • Options
    God help me, I’m trying Bloody Palace again. I’ve been to floor 99 as V, but boy howdy is that past gauntlet some bs.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I only ever did BP legit with Nero and just used super mode to blast through it with Dante and V. The stage with three furies is nuts.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Three Furies as V, you can kinda cheese it. Enemies are less likely to attack you when they’re off camera, but Shadow and Griffin don’t care about that. So if your circle the outside of the arena, camera pointed away from the furies, preferably reading the book, you can hold buttons to spam Blockade and Hedgehog (the two widest range attacks V has without locking on or using Nightmare) to blindly fire at the furies while they’re prevented from attacking V as often as they normally would. Then you can bring in Nightmare for extra damage.

Is that a cheese strategy? Absolutely; it exploits the game’s mechanics in a way only V can. But triple Furies deserve a cheese strategy.

What got me was floor 99 itself. Those damn homing vines from Urizen got me over and over again.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Haha, oh dear. The Special Edition box art (spoilers) is hilariously bad compared to the original.

It's got it all. Awkward character placement that makes Dante look like a giant, big faces in the background, reviewer blurb on the front of the box, actiony poses because the original setup wasn't cool enough? And a NEW FUNKY VERGIL MODE tag.

"Graphic design is my passion."

• Options
    I remember King Cerberus and Urizen being big roadblocks for me, as both Nero and V. I just never figured them out without using Trickster and Royal Guard to be safe, sheer luck to get past them.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Still no playable Nico? :-1:

I don’t care about Vergil

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i agree with neco until there is playable neco game is useless

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »

Be impossible to balance. She's OP.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

She'd need a new shirt I mean Trish is tempting fate but I dont see how Nico could even jump without giving everyone an eyeful

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

She'd need a new shirt I mean Trish is tempting fate but I dont see how Nico could even jump without giving everyone an eyeful

...have you installed a clothing mod and forgotten about it? The default Nico has a tank top on under her jacket.

i7xsLUg.jpg

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Gah, lost to Malphas as V.

I love Bloody Palace, but boy is it a marathon to return to what you were losing at, haha.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

...have you installed a clothing mod and forgotten about it? The default Nico has a tank top on under her jacket.

i7xsLUg.jpg

I honestly never saw the Tank top

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Man, if there's one thing that actually bugs me about DMC5, it's gotta be the controls. I appreciate how customizable they are, but I can never seem to find a configuration that fully works for me. I always feel like something is in an awkward position. And playing as V, I feel like Griffon's basic shot is annoying because of how it has to be mashed to keep firing shots. So most of the time I just use Griffon's basic charge attack, or power him up so he goes on autopilot.

• Options
    Holy crap! Dang!

I made it to floor 101 of Bloody Palace as V! And I lost, but I got like 80% of the boss’s HP down before I did, so I know it’s doable.

But most importantly, now I have levels 100 and 101 unlocked for practice mode, meaning I have all the time in the world to practice them individually and find a winning strategy. I almost value that above actually getting the win and taunt.

That fight is pretty nuts as V. On the one hand, I feel like a very fragile target, and my usual strategy of “shoot the giant lasers at the giant body” doesn’t work here. But on the other hand, nobody else in the game gets to fight him with his attention split 3 ways like this.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    You getting there! I believe in you!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

She'd never leave the van, so an eyeful wouldn't be an issue.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The van is the weapon, for sure. That van was once the sister of Sparda, I think. She woke up to three point turns.

• Options
    Lil gameplay demo for Vergil;

https://youtu.be/QhVzifBKuP0
    he still has Beowulf and Force Edge! Though it's apparently renamed "Miracle Edge"

Interesting change. I guess FE isn't around at this point anymore, but I would guess Vergil shouldn't have Beowulf anymore either - figured Dante pawned it by now.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Lil gameplay demo for Vergil;

https://youtu.be/QhVzifBKuP0
    he still has Beowulf and Force Edge! Though it's apparently renamed "Miracle Edge"

Interesting change. I guess FE isn't around at this point anymore, but I would guess Vergil shouldn't have Beowulf anymore either - figured Dante pawned it by now.

It looks like force edge is just a beefed up summoned sword.

I noticed at one point he taunted and held out the devil bringer. As in the arm he cut off his son.

Imagine if you fight Nero and can pull that out as a taunt.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    All the Vergil hype got me to go back and play more of this because it's pretty much my favorite game.

For how much I've played it it's kind of funny how bad I am. I've done my favorite levels more than 10 times each and beat the game on DMD (abusing the shit out of gold orbs), but I still don't know like, what every enemy attack looks like, or how to reliably parry Furies without getting impaled.

So imagine my surprise when I, just now, attempted a bloody palace run with Nero and succeeded. My previous best was floor 60. It came down to me having literally one hit left because of course it did. My heart was exploding and my hands still hurt.

Also after 200 hours or whatever, I literally only found out tonight, after beating BP, that rawhide has a combo of you keep hitting the button. I just thought it was a shitty breaker outside of its charge.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DMC5SE is out for consoles, though I gotta wait for the PC version next month. I watched some gameplay and happened across an extremely cool surprise.
    Missions 19 and 20 are now a Dante boss fight! He appears capable of doing everything a player can. Including Red Hot Night.

Story is retconned a little bit, Nero doesn't interrupt them in this version and their fatal lunge towards each other just... misses. :P

No Nero boss, but this is still more than I expected, was sure we'd be seeing Vante again.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    A Nero boss would be mildly terrifying tbh.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    As opposed to some vans, who just wake up to ice cream.
    A Nero boss would be mildly terrifying tbh.
    just imagine if he had auto DT, like in the first run of mission 20, and just spammed stuff like Showdown or All In.

Edit:

I’m leaving that draft.

Enlong on