As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Nevermind, just a case of the ol' ALF method.

19495969798100»

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Recast

Michael
    B.
    Jordan

as T'Challa.

I've heard this suggestion in the wild and I'm not opposed to it. It really comes down to what the man wanted, in my opinion. If he left word that he's OK with a recast, so am I.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Jordan would be a really bad choice though. Plenty of other black actors if you want to recast, using the guy who played the dead villian is weird. If he didn't have that role or if it was something like Malekeith (so) where the costume was concealing, go for it. Jordan is definitely good enough for it.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I just really like Michael B. Jordan, but yeah I can see how it could be confusing to the audience.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    My weird re-casting idea for T’Challa: John Boyega.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    donald glover

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Recast

Michael
    B.
    Jordan

as T'Challa.

I did have that thought myself. People did say it was a shame he was a 'one and done' villain....

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I’m guessing a lot of these “one and done” characters are due to the actor/actress not wanting (or able) to be tied to a multi-picture deal.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Recast

Michael
    B.
    Jordan

as T'Challa.

He was awesome, but rather emphatically killed...that seems pretty weird?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Not to mention the character he played was an active and intentional mass murderer obsessed with vengeance and trying to commit more murder until the day he died, so having him take up the Black Panther role would be pretty disrespectful to the fact that the Panther is supposed to be... well, a hero. And not a mass murderer.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    He said as T'challa, not as the Black Panther.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'd point out that T'Challa is the Black Panther as things stand but that doesn't matter past the fact that, as has been mentioned, it would be super-weird to bring an actor who recently played a villain back in a recast role for the hero he fought against.

Particularly when there's a pile of better not-weird options already in the setting, plus a slew of new and worthwhile actors to choose from who wouldn't make half the audience go "why the hell is everybody calling the bad guy T'Challa?"

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Mahershala Ali as Black Panther

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Recast

Michael
    B.
    Jordan

as T'Challa.

I didn't say cast him as Killmonger! Do the Star Trek thing where an actor can come back for multiple roles, and make him be T'Challa.

Though I know this is a forlorn hope, I just like the actor.

I say no to John Boyega because though I love him, I want an American actor in the role.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I'd point out that T'Challa is the Black Panther as things stand but that doesn't matter past the fact that, as has been mentioned, it would be super-weird to bring an actor who recently played a villain back in a recast role for the hero he fought against.

Particularly when there's a pile of better not-weird options already in the setting, plus a slew of new and worthwhile actors to choose from who wouldn't make half the audience go "why the hell is everybody calling the bad guy T'Challa?"

That was a response to Orca saying he was killed.

• Options
    Recast

Michael
    B.
    Jordan

as T'Challa.

I didn't say cast him as Killmonger! Do the Star Trek thing where an actor can come back for multiple roles, and make him be T'Challa.

I say no to John Boyega because though I love him, I want an American actor in the role.

Yes, but he did a great job as the villain and it seems weird to bring him back as the hero to me. T'Challa isn't The Doctor :/

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Mahershala Ali as Black Panther

Nah, he's going to be Blade.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Recast

Michael
    B.
    Jordan

as T'Challa.

Why, out of curiosity?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Shame they killed off Ghost Dog.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I don't see the need to recast. There are plenty of valid plot reasons they can come up with for T'Challa no longer being around, and it's weird to force the issue given they were planning on passing the mantle in the future anyway.

Also - who is going to want to follow in Chadwick Boseman's footsteps? Why would you add even more difficulty to an already-difficult situation?

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Pailryder wrote: »
    donald glover

And he keeps the Lando facial hair.

lunchbox12682 on
  • Options
    I don't see the need to recast. There are plenty of valid plot reasons they can come up with for T'Challa no longer being around, and it's weird to force the issue given they were planning on passing the mantle in the future anyway.

If they don't recast, then they either need to
    1.Get rid of T'challa off-screen, which would be an incredibly shitty way of seeing that character out, IMO. Or
    B. Have him "around" but never on screen, which would also be kind of garbage and be a glaring elephant in the room for the entire movie.

Like, if you don't recast, you're not going to get the mantle passed, you'll have to have Shuri pick it up off of the ground whereever it fell. The connective tissue to T'challa will be tepid at best if he's not there to actually pass the mantle.
    Also - who is going to want to follow in Chadwick Boseman's footsteps? Why would you add even more difficulty to an already-difficult situation?

You really don't think there's multiple actors who would be beside themselves at the chance of playing T'challa?

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I'm torn on the idea of recasting. I think back to Spartacus and Andy Whitfield giving his blessing before he passed; that worked and the show continued on and the recasting felt okay. But. T'Challa is different. The significance of the role coupled with Boseman's status makes recasting a really tough call. It would be a shame to lose T'Challa after just getting him on screen, but at the same time if Boseman didn't have an opportunity to give his blessing to someone else taking on the role it would feel kind of disrespectful in my opinion. It's also a different situation because the mantle of Black Panther can be passed on, and there's precedent for it, so there are ways to write around it that make sense in universe without needing to recast.

I don't know. I really like the character of T'Challa and would love to see more of him, but I think most of it was down to Boseman's performance, so...

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

1.Get rid of T'challa off-screen, which would be an incredibly shitty way of seeing that character out, IMO. Or
    B. Have him "around" but never on screen, which would also be kind of garbage and be a glaring elephant in the room for the entire movie.

Like, if you don't recast, you're not going to get the mantle passed, you'll have to have Shuri pick it up off of the ground whereever it fell. The connective tissue to T'challa will be tepid at best if he's not there to actually pass the mantle.

People know the subtext of why he isn't on screen anymore. It wouldn't be a "shitty" way of seeing the character go out given the actual actor died.

You really don't think there's multiple actors who would be beside themselves at the chance of playing T'challa?

I think, given the choice, most actors would prefer to be a completely different character than one where the beloved actor who originally portrayed them passed away. Again, the point isn't that it isn't possible. It's that it's just making things more difficult than they need to be.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Ok, hear me out, I got an idea ripped out of the comic book pages. So, Falcon gets the shield and tries to help out the Captain America legacy, correct?

Well...

Bucky as Black Panther (not T'challa), a nod to this comic book character: White Wolf.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/White_Wolf_(Hunter)_(Earth-616)

Related scene in the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBunIo34hTY

I would think they would take a different path in the movies than in the comics though with the character, since its not Hunter as the White Wolf, but Bucky Barnes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020

People know the subtext of why he isn't on screen anymore. It wouldn't be a "shitty" way of seeing the character go out given the actual actor died.

Can't say I agree. People would accept it, but that doesn't mean it's the version they'd most want. I highly doubt that, after the first Black Panther became such a major moment, people are going to be happy to find out that T'challa died off screen.

I think, given the choice, most actors would prefer to be a completely different character than one where the beloved actor who originally portrayed them passed away. Again, the point isn't that it isn't possible. It's that it's just making things more difficult than they need to be.

I'd be willing to bet there's a lot of actors who would want to see the character continue, and would be honored if given the opportunity to facilitate that.

Also, just because something is hard doesn't mean it's not worth doing. Getting Black Panther made at all took Kevin Fiege prying Marvel Studios out of Perlmutter's hands, which could not have been an easy feat to accomplish.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Ok, hear me out, I got an idea ripped out of the comic book pages. So, Falcon gets the shield and tries to help out the Captain America legacy, correct?

Well...

Bucky as Black Panther (not T'challa), a nod to this comic book character: White Wolf.

I would think they would take a different path in the movies than in the comics though with the character, since its not Hunter as the White Wolf, but Bucky Barnes.

There isn't a jumbo liner in the world big enough to handle the baggage that would generate.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Yeah, "white former Nazi assassin takes over role of hero from black king of African nation" is just... oof. No thank you.

Keep Bucky as Bucky, let another black actor take up the Black Panther mantle to similarly be a positive role model.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    John David Washington seems to be on the rise, I gotta think he's on Marvel's radar for something.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Can't say I agree. People would accept it, but that doesn't mean it's the version they'd most want. I highly doubt that, after the first Black Panther became such a major moment, people are going to be happy to find out that T'challa died off screen.

I'd be willing to bet there's a lot of actors who would want to see the character continue, and would be honored if given the opportunity to facilitate that.

Also, just because something is hard doesn't mean it's not worth doing. Getting Black Panther made at all took Kevin Fiege prying Marvel Studios out of Perlmutter's hands, which could not have been an easy feat to accomplish.

I think that having more than 1 african hero / rolemodel would be a better message than there only being one and ignoring continuity to keep that 1 going.

Aww.. now i’m having a sad that we wont see a T’Challa / Luke Cage team up.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Well, since the MCU has pretty much kicked the Netflix stuff off the continuity train that was unlikely anyway :/

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Some people think it would be disrespectful to recast; some feel it would be disrespectful to not have the character appear again.
    If Boseman did have some final wishes, IMO those should be honored; but we don't know if he did, or if he did, what they were.
    I submit, therefore, that this is currently a question that cannot be answered.

• Options
    I'm not saying keep T'challa forever, but recasting him allows him to more directly pass the mantle and give the character a proper sendoff

• Options
    Recast

Michael
    B.
    Jordan

as T'Challa.

Why, out of curiosity?

Just, reading the comments from Ryan Coogler about what he and Boseman discussed - about how their connection to Africa was forever severed because of the history of the United States, about how to portray an African king unconquered by the west, about how Black Panther is, in a way, a kind of Lord of the Rings for black people - I like British actors, but I want these things to be carried forward by another American black man who more fundamentally understands the struggles of American black society in the way black foreigners can never truly understand. I also am influenced by comments from Samuel L. Jackson a few years back.

• Options

Well...

You would make a white guy the Black Panther

Really?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's one of those things... in universe it could make sense. There are enough crumbs that it would make sense. There is an alternate timeline out there that could make it work.

Not this timeline though.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Yeah, that's something for a What If one-off story. Even in 2020, having a black actor as a strong positive role model is still an uphill battle as it is and definitely not something that should be dropped for something like making Bucky the Black Panther.

I don't doubt there's interesting things that could be done with Bucky as Panther, it's just that the social value of a black actor as the Panther is so much more important than anything that could be done with Bucky.

• Options
    I really hope they bring back Vulture and Scorpion for the next Spider-Man film:
    https://youtu.be/QPfcuqzH0So

Maybe with the cat being out of the bag, the former comes back to protect him and the latter is one of the many people going after him.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Someone make a new thread with an appropriate OP.

This discussion has been closed.