As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

That is not [bad food] which does eternal lie, and in strange youtubes, even food may die

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    oh actually now that I'm reading what crispis is I want some of that, thought it was meat bits or something

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Holy crap, I served that exact sambocade recipe to my medieval lit class in college, from what I think was the same manuscript! It turned out well enough, considering it was most of my final oral presentation. There was also a kind a mushroom quiche that I agreed to make before I realized exactly how pricy saffron is, so I guess I really paid for that B+.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    that moment when you realize why the spice trade was such a big fucking deal
    (because in some little pockets of the industry, it still is)

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It was certainly an educational experience to spend 10% of my monthly food budget on yellow powder for a school project I wasn't sure would fly!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Turks put tariffs on all those spices and Europeans were like, noooooooo, we need Asian luxury goods so we can stratify our society

Platy on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Which reminds me, I need to buy some cinnamon

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Holy crap, I served that exact sambocade recipe to my medieval lit class in college, from what I think was the same manuscript! It turned out well enough, considering it was most of my final oral presentation. There was also a kind a mushroom quiche that I agreed to make before I realized exactly how pricy saffron is, so I guess I really paid for that B+.

Every single time I watched Chopped one of the chef contestants would be browsing the spice shelf, pick up the saffron, and use a gigantic clump of it. And I would just shake my head slowly.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    dog food costs more than that ....

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

sawdust, glue and flavoring.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    saffron was widely cultivated in western europe for much of the middle ages so it wouldn't necessarily have been considered the luxury ingredient it is now

in fact depending on the area and time period it might have been a staple flavoring agent, like black pepper is today

Shorty on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm just mad about saffron

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Did she rob ya and leave you sittin' nekkid on a rock in the desert?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

You know what?

I'll let this pass.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    saffron was widely cultivated in western europe for much of the middle ages so it wouldn't necessarily have been considered the luxury ingredient it is now

in fact depending on the area and time period it might have been a staple flavoring agent, like black pepper is today

That would certainly explain it's prevalence in mediaeval cookery.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Thats interesting.

And yes, why does almost literally everything have salt and pepper added to them.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Salt does good things to food if you apply it right.

It’s almost more about chemistry than the flavor of salt, in some cases.

• Options
    the correct amount of salt makes food taste more like itself

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    That's true.

If you add salt to salt it will taste saltier.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Yeah that fuckin' guard wouldn't let me in until I gave him a drink from an entirely different city.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Thats interesting.

And yes, why does almost literally everything have salt and pepper added to them.

I keep wondering this myself.

I get the salt thing, it enhances flavour. But why pepper? Pepper just makes things taste like pepper. Who decided that every single meal should taste at least a little bit like pepper?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Well my dogs love Bk's nuggets they will rough you up for them
    as I got the family deal 3 whoppers 3 cheeseburgers 3 small fries and gave the buns from one of the burgers to the dogs
    It was odd as the last time I went to BK was back in May they were only doing drive up so it was rather awkward to do on a bike so they handed my food with one of those long hand things from the door

• Options
    the correct amount of salt makes food taste more like itself

In one of the videos I posted earlier the one where he eats Banquet's Dynamite Penne
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f-PCiVnc-M
    He points out the sodium amount well since I stock that stuff I have been looking at the sodium rates the Buffalo chicken one of this series has over 2700MG of sodium in one serving

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Thats interesting.

I keep wondering this myself.

I get the salt thing, it enhances flavour. But why pepper? Pepper just makes things taste like pepper. Who decided that every single meal should taste at least a little bit like pepper?

Probably that asshole Barry Pepper.

Just kidding he's probably a great guy.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I maintain that chefs just like doing the twist-the-grinder motion over pots, it’s soothing and kind of fun.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    You think that's fun wait till you try one of these

dcnyxk8a29jo.png

• Options
    It's my sister-in-law's birthday today. Because I am terrible at thinking of gifts to buy I like to just do the birthday food and then I get out of thinking up a present.

For dinner I'm going to do home-made chicken kievs full of garlic butter, chunky chips roasted in goose fat, and sautéed savoy cabbage with cream and bacon bits.

Birthday cake is chocolate sponge filled with strawberries and cream.

And for a gift I've made these gin and tonic truffles

Happy birthday! I got you heart disease!

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    You think that's fun wait till you try one of these

dcnyxk8a29jo.png

I haven't seen that for years (?) but the sound of the spice weasel comes instantly to mind.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    ceuhbbet6llu.gif

• Options
    elzar was always a weird character but he makes even less sense in a world where emeril lagasse isn't a ubiquitous part of pop culture

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    elzar was always a weird character but he makes even less sense in a world where emeril lagasse isn't a ubiquitous part of pop culture

I had absolutely no idea who the character was supposed to be satirizing. I think the first american guy I dated had to explain it to me.

• Options
  • Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    Today I saw some Pumpkin Spice Frosted Mini-Wheats at the local Walgreens.

Have these companies no shame?

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I mean that sounds pretty good to me I don't see the problem

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

I had absolutely no idea who the character was supposed to be satirizing. I think the first american guy I dated had to explain it to me.

Up to these posts I didn't know about that at all.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The pumpkin spice blend is a delicious blend of spices that are very versatile and I wish pumpkin spice flavored products were available all year.

"Pumpkin pie spice, also known as pumpkin spice, is an American spice mix commonly used as an ingredient in pumpkin pie. Pumpkin pie spice is similar to the British and Commonwealth mixed spice. It is generally a blend of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and sometimes allspice"

I don't see myself ever using cloves, or I would make my own mix

https://www.budgetbytes.com/how-to-make-pumpkin-pie-spice/

4 Tbsp ground cinnamon
    1 Tbsp ground ginger
    1 Tbsp ground nutmeg
    1 Tbsp ground allspice
    1 tsp ground cloves

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The ratios vary but yeah, it's just a standard spread of spices for baking.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    The pumpkin spice blend is a delicious blend of spices that are very versatile and I wish pumpkin spice flavored products were available all year.

"Pumpkin pie spice, also known as pumpkin spice, is an American spice mix commonly used as an ingredient in pumpkin pie. Pumpkin pie spice is similar to the British and Commonwealth mixed spice. It is generally a blend of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and sometimes allspice"

I don't see myself ever using cloves, or I would make my own mix

https://www.budgetbytes.com/how-to-make-pumpkin-pie-spice/

4 Tbsp ground cinnamon
    1 Tbsp ground ginger
    1 Tbsp ground nutmeg
    1 Tbsp ground allspice
    1 tsp ground cloves

Cloves are nice though. But really strong! You usually only need 1-2 in a dish.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Does anyone else think nutmeg by itself kinda smells like bubblegum

This discussion has been closed.