Options

Let's Talk About [2020 Elections] Like Grownups!

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    spool32 wrote: »
    Nobeard wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I have to assume it's a good thing that the best counter drop they had to the tax story is that Project Veritas fake nothing about Omar.

Access Hollywood got blunted by the DNC email hack release, but other than going on about drug testing it seems like this tax story is just...unopposed? No real distraction or counternarrative.

That means they are either holding back an oppo dump for a potentially even bigger story that is going to break, or they got nothing.

Barr is going to have a statement or some such about an "investigation" before October is done with. I consider this a reasonable prediction.

My nihilist prediction is they are gearing up to arrest Biden. It's extremely unlikely, but I would not be surprised to find out Trump or a crony have mentioned it.

indicting Hunter is not out of the realm of the possible

Oh yea I forgot about Hunter. Arresting Joe is, like I said, extremely unlikely, but a Hunter indictment I figure is about 50/50.

Strategy wise, indicting either Biden is meant to discourage voters who were only going to vote Biden as a miserable lesser evil compared to Trump. I can easily see a scenario where Hunter is indicted, Joe's unfavorables go up, third party candidates get boosted 2-3 points, the margins on election night are razor thin, Trump tries some bullshit, and the SCOTUS goes 5-4 in deciding the election for Trump.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Plus I'm a bit weirded out about how people are treating PA as his home state, but his political career is actually from Delaware.

Like, we're small but we are still a state.

And yes, him being a home town guy from DE has actually had an effect on folks I know back home that wouldn't have voted for a democrat, but they like Joe. They know Joe. He's done good things for the state and helped them out. So they're voting for Joe.

Anecdotal evidence sure, but I know a few at least.

Obama's political career is from Illinois but Hawaii was often referred to as his home. It's not meant to be an insult, it's just that when candidates are born in one location but then run for public office somewhere else, they often try to claim ownership of both places.

Roz on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    /quote]
    Barr is going to have a statement or some such about an "investigation" before October is done with. I consider this a reasonable prediction.

My nihilist prediction is they are gearing up to arrest Biden. It's extremely unlikely, but I would not be surprised to find out Trump or a crony have mentioned it.

There is basically zero chance that Biden is arrested. Nothing has come forward suggesting that he's been involved with criminal activity up to this point so even if he did start an investigation over "the crimes", dude has about 5 weeks to do an investigation and arrest biden which would be both stunningly fast and transparently bullshit to the point where the FBI is liable to refuse.

No, I'm sure Trump would love to have biden arrested in the event that he realizes he's going to lose but there simply isn't enough time to concoct an excuse.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Plus I'm a bit weirded out about how people are treating PA as his home state, but his political career is actually from Delaware.

And yes, him being a home town guy from DE has actually had an effect on folks I know back home that wouldn't have voted for a democrat, but they like Joe. They know Joe. He's done good things for the state and helped them out. So they're voting for Joe.

Like I said, dogfish head for everyone!

Also Obama was “from Kansas” too in 2008- born in Hawaii, raised in Kansas, political career in Illinois

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    I have to assume it's a good thing that the best counter drop they had to the tax story is that Project Veritas fake nothing about Omar.

Access Hollywood got blunted by the DNC email hack release, but other than going on about drug testing it seems like this tax story is just...unopposed? No real distraction or counternarrative.

That means they are either holding back an oppo dump for a potentially even bigger story that is going to break, or they got nothing.

indicting Hunter is not out of the realm of the possible

I mean, Go ahead. I'm sure that the DNC can afford to cover the fees for a really good lawyer until mid january at which point many people say the charges will disappear as if by magic.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    This is silly, but in the case they pull the trigger to charge Hunter Biden, the DOJ is corrupt enough to arrest Biden, hold him without bail, and seriously fuck his life up- this is also not a move you make if you have any intention of giving up power

They can announce investigations all they want though

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    This is silly, but in the case they pull the trigger to charge Hunter Biden, the DOJ is corrupt enough to arrest Biden, hold him without bail, and seriously fuck his life up- this is also not a move you make if you have any intention of giving up power

They can announce investigations all they want though

If you've gotten to the point where Trump is going full banana republic then the political process is dead and other options that the mods would frown on need to be discussed.

But for optimism's sake I'm going to work on the assumption that shit is still (semi-)functional and remind folks that in the whole of the republic's history no presidential candidate has ever been arrested during an election.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

There is basically zero chance that Biden is arrested. Nothing has come forward suggesting that he's been involved with criminal activity up to this point so even if he did start an investigation over "the crimes", dude has about 5 weeks to do an investigation and arrest biden which would be both stunningly fast and transparently bullshit to the point where the FBI is liable to refuse.

No, I'm sure Trump would love to have biden arrested in the event that he realizes he's going to lose but there simply isn't enough time to concoct an excuse.

Dude cops in Virginia charged the VA Senate's President pro tempore for felony "injury to a monument" the day before she started a special session for considering police reforms.

If they want to try and arrest him, they need exactly zero time to concoct bullshit. They've also had, like, four years to think up bullshit.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/09/28/politics/michigan-2020-election/index.html

So as much as we all love the 'rural diner' stories, this is one of my hometown. My parents still live there, and I'm related to about a third of the county.

I can say this as someone having grown up there...its as full of fuck you got mine racist stereotypes as you can get. There is no way Biden is getting the county, but hopefully enough people, especially the older 'civility' people who casually throw the n* word amongst themselves are disgusted enough by Trump to stay home.

If they are treating Monroe as the bellwether, Trump is in a lot of trouble though because while there are a lot of all-in idiots there, an awful lot of people are regretting voting for him the first time. It's a very Catholic area and his support has gotten real soft in that demographic.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »

Dude cops in Virginia charged the VA Senate's President pro tempore for felony "injury to a monument" the day before she started a special session for considering police reforms.

If they want to try and arrest him, they need exactly zero time to concoct bullshit. They've also had, like, four years to think up bullshit.
    Yeah that's state level. We're talking federal where the people that would go after biden would be either Marshals or the FBI, and I can't imagine any of there agents would be eager to cuff the potential president in 4 months.

Because that's the other end of this; even if he's arrested he still needs to be convicted which I'm sure the DNC would make a long and protracted shit show, during which they'll be running adds like crazy and galvanizing Trump's opposition like nothing else.

Like, it's the single stupidest thing they could possibly do to try and beat biden.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    /quote]

Biden is also a sitting Senator, which means if they come to arrest him he just has to declare he's on his way to Congress to invoke his constitutional immunity. Well, that and he has armed guards from the Secret Service, so he can't just be snatched up. Trying to arrest him at all would be a complete shitshow.

Edit: Too tired, am dumb.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    So, accounting for the taxes and debt, . . . does Trump have any money?

His value has always been in his real estate holdings, the only reason he ever got the billionaire moniker is because he basically spent 20 years harassing everyone he could find into believing it. Coming into the election I saw reasonable looking estimates that he was probably worth around the $100 million range. Historically debt from banks has been meaningless to him, but it's been pretty obvious he owes a bunch of money to shady russians given his behavior and actions towards Putin, and that debt you don't just refuse to pay.
    Honestly I don’t feel great being gleeful over this. The guy appears to have some serious issues and I hope he gets better. He’s a grifting scumbag but I hope he recovers and don’t wish bad mental health on anybody

It's not surprising this stuff is happening to Trump people, he's not really able to get the most stable employees anymore and I've seen firsthand the kind of negative effects a crazy manager/owner can have on their employees. I can only imagine the damage the current lot of corrupt and insane fuckers at the top have done to their respective agencies in that regard. This is also sort of the second public breakdown in as many weeks too, with that HHS under secretary losing his shit in real time on a zoom call before this. Makes me wonder if there's a culture of meth use going on in the Trump admin, similar to the Germans in WW2.

Which goes back to Trump insisting on Biden taking piss tests for drugs. Him being the King of Projection that he is, I'd rather that all of Trump and company submit to testing. Of course, Trump would most likely pull a Putin and bribe a shady doctor or lab tech to swap out the samples with clean pee a la the Olympics.

Raiju on
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    /quote]

Biden is also a sitting Senator, which means if they come to arrest him he just has to declare he's on his way to Congress to invoke his constitutional immunity. Well, that and he has armed guards from the Secret Service, so he can't just be snatched up. Trying to arrest him at all would be a complete shitshow.

What? No he isn't.

He's been out of office since he was VP.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    /quote]

What? No he isn't.

...goddamn it, ignore me, am dumb. Second part still applies though I'm pretty sure.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Roz wrote: »

Obama's political career is from Illinois but Hawaii was often referred to as his home. It's not meant to be an insult, it's just that when candidates are born in one location but then run for public office somewhere else, they often try to claim ownership of both places.

Here in Illinois we call the state the Land of Lincoln and that guy was born in Kentucky.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Here in Illinois we call the state the Land of Lincoln and that guy was born in Kentucky.

Now now, let’s not split rails

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular

Whoah now, hold your horses there. I'm not at all convinced Delaware actually exists, I think it might be a convenient accounting trick.

I mean, I've never been there and I don't know anyone who has. Even the name sounds made-up, and suspiciously French at that.

• Options
    /quote]

What? No he isn't.

...goddamn it, ignore me, am dumb. Second part still applies though I'm pretty sure.

Secret Service would comply if there was an arrest warrant. They aren't going to draw down on Marshals.

Can beat the rap, not the ride.

Still pretty sure this is an obscenely unlikely situation and would quite honestly require Trump or Barr to sack up in an overt and risky way neither have shown any spine for.

Better to announce BS stuff like investigations without having any real risk of blowback.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I'm just thrilled that we're actually talking about the possibility of the President having the other candidate and/or members of their family arrested.

• Options
    /quote]

What? No he isn't.

Secret Service would comply if there was an arrest warrant. They aren't going to draw down on Marshals.

Can beat the rap, not the ride.

Still pretty sure this is an obscenely unlikely situation and would quite honestly require Trump or Barr to sack up in an overt and risky way neither have shown any spine for.

Better to announce BS stuff like investigations without having any real risk of blowback.

Not to mention Going after biden like this would make the response to them rushing RBG's replacement look like a slap on the wrist since harris would still be around and have an easy platform of "Trump is so scared of an open election he'd rather arrest biden then risk losing to him."

• Options
    Special K wrote: »

Whoah now, hold your horses there. I'm not at all convinced Delaware actually exists, I think it might be a convenient accounting trick.

I mean, I've never been there and I don't know anyone who has. Even the name sounds made-up, and suspiciously French at that.

I’ve been to Delaware a lot and it is rad and has amazing beaches

Also beer and crabs

• Options
    I'm just thrilled that we're actually talking about the possibility of the President having the other candidate and/or members of their family arrested.

I mean, he could try, but it won't get him anywhere and if anything will only hurt him.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

I mean, I legitimately am.

Fuckers shouldn’t be above the law.

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Then again I've also heard "he's figured out how to game the system he's actually smart"

People don't like paying taxes and so seeing somebody not pay taxes and get away with it is I guess an ideal for them. Problem is that's not something you get away with for long. I mean, they got Capone on tax evasion.

Yeah. I mean, Trump has one over on Capone in that the POTUS appointed his own personal Gryma Wormtongues to various positions like the heads of the U.S. Justice and Treasury Departments on top of the IRS.

Let's face it, Capone never had that amount of power and the thing with Trump's years of tax evasion will hurt him, yes, but it's not necessarily the guaranteed silver bullet gotcha that we may think it is.

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    I’ve been to Delaware a lot and it is rad and has amazing beaches

Also beer and crabs

Yeah, yeah, I'm sure your Delaware is Canadian / goes to a different school.

I think it's dashed unfair that a tax loophole has two senators, while DC has none. I mean, Mitt Romney thinks companies are people but that doesn't mean Delaware is a state.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Special K wrote: »

having a lot of doubts about this so-called "Dele-wa-rey"

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Which calls itself Lincoln's Boyhood Home.

What I'm saying is, elect more Illinoisans to the Presidency. We get around.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Regarding what Trump will or won't do, there's a couple of things.

1. He's not going to get less desperate the closer we get the election. The likelihood of him pulling some horrible bullshit stunt only increases.
    2. There's still 3 months worth of lameduck horseshit he can pull if he loses before he's officially out of office. (Assuming, for the moment, that he'll actually leave or be removed)

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    In my dreams he has a stroke after seeing the results of the election, and spends the next 3 months paralyzed and thereby unable to do anything of consequence. I know, it's not really gonna happen that way but a man can dream.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Dropped off my ballot today.

If this doesn't go my way hopefully I'll have recreational marijuana to numb the pain.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    If you're wondering about how polling is going for Republican senators, Ernst said in the Iowa debate there's no way the six anti-abortion judges they've confirmed will actually overturn Roe and Daines in the Montana debate said the anti-ACA judges won't strike down the ACA.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    If you're wondering about how polling is going for Republican senators, Ernst said in the Iowa debate there's no way the six anti-abortion judges they've confirmed will actually overturn Roe and Daines in the Montana debate said the anti-ACA judges won't strike down the ACA.

And if you believe either of them when they say that, I have all the bridges in the world to sell you.

I mean, really, those are the two things the Republicans and the religious nuts have been harping for forever, and you think they're not going to do it?

"Oh, we're totally not going to try to take over the world with this doomsday laser! You can trust us!" *innocent smile*

Lot of PAC ads here in MI on a lot of things- still get the occasional Trumpy the Clown ad, but most of it is ads from PACs about Congress races trying to link our Dem candidates to Antifa leaders, Hollywood, and Nancy Pelosi/Elizabeth Warren/insert famous Dem here. We've received a lot of absentee ballot applications- three in one day, actually, so it appears the push to send those out is going well... but the news has been kind of ehhh on it all.

I'm hoping this is the year we get rid of Fred Upton and kick his fat ass to the curb, but I don't know how polling is going on that. I think Peters is up in his race, though.

Though in other news, the big brouhaha is the bunch trying to remove the governor's emergency powers- the ones she's been using to keep COVID from spiraling out of control- got busted lying to people to get their petition to the state house, and we're all hoping it knocks it stone cold dead and invalid because it brings up a question on how many of the other sigs on the petition were coerced.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Daines has been getting raked over the coals for his anti-ACA votes here, so it's not surprising that's a vulnerable point for him.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So yesterday we had Siena College/NYT with Biden +9 in PA.

Today we have Washington Post/ABC News with +9 as well, and +10 in RV.

Both ranked A+ at 538.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I know we've all been hurt before and it seems like this nightmare isn't going to end, but guys I'm looking at these polls and I honestly think we're going to win.

Roz on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Still a month to go, plus election fuckery, plus Trump is a wannabe dictator who might finally become a willabe dictator.

Those are some good polls though.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I'm just curious if this happens to be a trend and not just two well timed outliers, what's driving the sudden shift in PA?

I mean we were looking at margin of error level polls a couple weeks ago with no real events driving things and now it's a clean Biden lead (especially in a Democrat held state)

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    I'm just curious if this happens to be a trend and not just two well timed outliers, what's driving the sudden shift in PA?

I mean we were looking at margin of error level polls a couple weeks ago with no real events driving things and now it's a clean Biden lead (especially in a Democrat held state)

I'd say it's that in general, people don't like fuckery, and the PA GOP has been Fuckery Central for a few weeks.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    If I had to take a stab. Probably people realizing that Trump doesn't give a shit about them and will make things worse for them. I suspect covid is probably driving some of this, but I also want to say that PA also had a ton of rubes that believe Trump's horseshit on bring jobs back.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Part of me hopes it’s the PA electorate realizing that the steel mills aren’t ever coming back despite what they’ve been told for the last 40-odd years and they’d rather vote for someone looking to the future than someone promising a return to the past.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
This discussion has been closed.