Options

Black Lives Matter Thread 7

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Securitas does indeed own Pinkerton now.

So it is the shitty Pinkerton name, with all the shitty modern-day 'contract security' bullshit.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Blackwater and Xe probably doing good right about now

Xe?

What blackwater rebranded to, theyve moved on from Xe as well

Is it pronouncable by human mouths?

How do you feel about spontaneous solar eclipses?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Xe?

Big fan if Trump stares at it without eye protection. Again.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Xe?

oh dip, steph miller gonna become the next godhand by sacrificing the band of the grift?

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular

Xe?

is the eclipse a temporary deal or the beginning of a new epoch of total darkness, this is important

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Temporary, but it does signal the completion of a thousand year cycle which will destroy the gap between the real and the ideal, between mundanity and insanity.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

the Behind the Bastards episodes on Erik Prince make me think that guy is destined to fly too close to the sun one of these days

He's rich enough that he'll never have to face consequences for his actions.

That is likely, but I also think it's very possible that he'll try to pull some shit in the wrong country and end up in a ditch.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

the Behind the Bastards episodes on Erik Prince make me think that guy is destined to fly too close to the sun one of these days

He's rich enough that he'll never have to face consequences for his actions.

That is likely, but I also think it's very possible that he'll try to pull some shit in the wrong country and end up in a ditch.

I don't; "that wrong shit" is what he has minions for. He will never face the consequences of his actions.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Portland protestors knocked over statues of Abraham Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt in the wee hours of the morning. This was the correct day to do that, so god bless 'em.

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Temporary, but it does signal the completion of a thousand year cycle which will destroy the gap between the real and the ideal, between mundanity and insanity.

sign me the fuck up

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Portland protestors knocked over statues of Abraham Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt in the wee hours of the morning. This was the correct day to do that, so god bless 'em.

The story in question right here, for those who want to read about it.

• Options

this is some Grant Morrison nonsense

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

Teddy I understand, but what are we mad with Abe about?

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular

Same question. I mean, I get it from Lost Causers, but seriously, what's with that?

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

Xe?

Hell yeah I love blaseball go Dale

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

The genocide against Native Americans accelerated during the Civil War due to the federal government misusing war powers as a pretext.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

Nooooo, I don't wanna go back to the Hellnight...

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    there's the whole issue with the homestead act and the dakota war and the largest (known) mass execution conducted by the US government.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakota_War_of_1862

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_War

• Options

He personally signed the death warrants of 38 Dakota men, in what was the largest mass execution in American history

Dude hated natives

• Options
    It's kind of amazing that while the US was in the middle of the Civil War we still made time to terrorize the native population on the other side of the country

• Options
    the official inquiry into the sand creek massacre concluded that it was in fact a massacre, but col. chivington couldn't be punished because he was no longer in the army when the inquiry was finished

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Well then. Funny how that doesn't get mentioned in the history books.

• Options

sheridan and sherman were the architects of the indian wars

painting the north as anything other than war heroes tends to complicate the rosy picture of american history

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    "honest Abe" was a racist genocider, so there's that.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    There's no such thing as a good US President.

Just varying degrees of bad.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Sorry to keep harping on it, but when I say he "personally signed" the death warrants, I don't mean the Presidential photo-op thing where he jotted his name down on papers set in front of him.

Citing his career as a lawyer, he read every case file, examined all evidence, and personally condemned all 38 men to death.

Engineers had to devise and construct a set of gallows capable of murdering 38 men simultaneously. It was an act of slow, deliberate, intentional cruelty.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    gvm4vgjdmnyj.jpg

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

He personally signed the death warrants of 38 Dakota men, in what was the largest mass execution in American history

Dude hated natives

Im reading he commuted the death sentence of 264 prisoners out of 303 people originally sentenced to die?

• Options
    Originally the army had wanted to execute over 300 Dakota men who had surrendered. Lincoln commuted 265 of those sentences, resulting in protests from the white populace of Minnesota and Republican losses in the next Congressional election.

• Options
    Originally the army had wanted to execute over 300 Dakota men who had surrendered. Lincoln commuted 265 of those sentences, resulting in protests from the white populace of Minnesota and Republican losses in the next Congressional election.

yeah, the 38 that were executed were found to have participated in massacres or had been rapists

the rest were deemed enemy combatants ( and were still imprisoned because the sentence was only commuted)

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I have very mixed feelings about Lincoln, but I think there's more negative than positive there if only by a little

Like him explicitly not being an abolitionist, not thinking black and white people deserved equal rights, and thinking that that after slavery was ended black people should largely leave the country

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Yeah, I didn't know about this shit until earlier today.

In fact, the vast majority of atrocities inflicted upon Native Americans I learned about outside of the classes I took.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

Yeah, I didn't know about this shit until earlier today.

In fact, the vast majority of atrocities inflicted upon Native Americans I learned about outside of the classes I took.

Ken Burns' The West is extremely good and definitely covers a great deal of the U.S. interaction (and earlier colonial powers) with native americans

highly HIGHLY recommend it

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I have very mixed feelings about Lincoln, but I think there's more negative than positive there if only by a little

Like him explicitly not being an abolitionist, not thinking black and white people deserved equal rights, and thinking that that after slavery was ended black people should largely leave the country
    To be fair this was actually the predominantly popular opinion among free blacks at the time too. (It lost its popularity around the end of the civil war, as the (ultimately ineffectual) Reconstructionist protective measures for freedmen in the South was seen as sign that it might be possible to nudge American society ever so slightly into a more just model. (Plus, when millions of slaves were actually freed it became very quickly apparent that attempting to resettle all of them, even if they were cooperative, was completely impossible.) It was considered inconceivable to even most radicals that white Americans would ever let Africans Americans be, slavery or not, without having both metaphorical and very literal nooses around their necks.

Gundi on
  • Options

Dude hated natives

Im reading he commuted the death sentence of 264 prisoners out of 303 people originally sentenced to die?
    PiptheFair wrote: »

yeah, the 38 that were executed were found to have participated in massacres or had been rapists

the rest were deemed enemy combatants ( and were still imprisoned because the sentence was only commuted)

Here's the thing

To view the executions as just, one must first assume the war was just. One must also assume that "evidence" - provided entirely by the occupiers of stolen land, who had a vested interest in making the people whose land they were stealing appear as monstrous as possible - was accurate. It also assumes that a grand guignol execution, on a scale seen neither before nor since, was a just punishment for fuckin' anything.

If you are willing to go out on those three simultaneous limbs, fuckin' go with god. But when a novelty execution, outlandish in its exaggerated cruelty, is held up by a colonizing force as "Well, actually, this was the merciful option," I'm gonna look at the whole thing pretty fucking askance.

Like, maybe the executive of an imperial force kinda fuckin' sucked, you know?

• Options
    I don't view any execution as just, especially one executed by an occupying force, because fucking duh

but whites were absolutely massacred

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    "Participated in massacres" huh.

Right, just as soon as everyone in the army who did that gets strung up too (not to mention the tendency to label any battle they lost a massacre).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

To be fair this was actually the predominantly popular opinion among free blacks at the time too. (It lost its popularity around the end of the civil war, as the (ultimately ineffectual) Reconstructionist protective measures for freedmen in the South was seen as sign that it might be possible to nudge American society ever so slightly into a more just model. (Plus, when millions of slaves were actually freed it became very quickly apparent that attempting to resettle all of them, even if they were cooperative, was completely impossible.) It was considered inconceivable to even most radicals that white Americans would ever let Africans Americans be, slavery or not, without having both metaphorical and very literal nooses around their necks.

Well...

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I know people who dont know about it and we live in the fucking town it happened in

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
This discussion has been closed.