Options

How about [movies] that no longer exist?

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    Are there any dvd collections with all or most the hammer movies? Found one but it has sequels and such, but not the originals. Same for the universal monster movies .

There was one a good few years back that had the first Hammer Frankenstein, Dracula and Mummy movies, but I dunno if the US got it.

[img]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/ey/nldxc8qlef08.jpeg[ /img][/img]

The Curse of Frankenstein is so good.

I've not yet seen the others; I really should some time.

Frankenstein is probably the best of the lot, but I think they're all worth watching. Hammer's Dracula is really lean and mean in a way that makes it feel a lot more modern than its 1958 release date. Lee's performance is ultimately a really different take on Dracula than I'm used to seeing, taking advantage of his noble looks and great stature to express this corrupted, wordless animal trapped within the body of an out-of-touch aristocrat. At his best, he's like a panther who dimly recalls that he was once a man, and is furious about what has been taken from him.

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Are there any dvd collections with all or most the hammer movies? Found one but it has sequels and such, but not the originals. Same for the universal monster movies .

There was one a good few years back that had the first Hammer Frankenstein, Dracula and Mummy movies, but I dunno if the US got it.

[img]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/ey/nldxc8qlef08.jpeg[ /img][/img]

Frankenstein is probably the best of the lot, but I think they're all worth watching. Hammer's Dracula is really lean and mean in a way that makes it feel a lot more modern than its 1958 release date. Lee's performance is ultimately a really different take on Dracula than I'm used to seeing, taking advantage of his noble looks and great stature to express this corrupted, wordless animal trapped within the body of an out-of-touch aristocrat. At his best, he's like a panther who dimly recalls that he was once a man, and is furious about what has been taken from him.

I seem to remember Lee's Dracula being quite chatty and charming in the original - it was in the later sequel Dracula: Prince of Darkness that he was totally mute. Still there a number of legit, great Hammer movies. The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Devil Rides Out being firm favourites of mine - I contend that Hammer's Hound of the Baskervilles is the best Sherlock Holmes story put to film. The first sequel to Curse of Frankenstein, Revenge of Frankenstein is also excellent. The Plague of the Zombies, I feel is often overlooked, but there's some great imagery in it and it's just a fun time.
    plague-of-the-zombies-1966-zombie-mine.jpg

Schadenfreude on
    Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Lee has 16 lines in the first film according to imdb, which, granted, is more than I remembered him having. He's still a more physical presence in the movie than in other adaptations I've seen.

Hammer's catalog is filled with semi-forgotten flicks that are still really worth exploring, including the Quatermass series and even stuff like The Abominable Snowman, which is a surprisingly moody and thoughtful take on the concept that I had the pleasure of first watching during a night-time snowstorm. Their run of horror sequels are even frequently not that bad; Cushing's Frankenstein is such an evil prick on screen that it's hard not to enjoy him doing anything, and the Dracula series somehow hits a new peak at movie four, even if by then they've basically run out of anything new to say in the setting.

The Hound of the Baskervilles was excellent, but I've yet to watch Plague of Zombies... I dunno, something put me off of the concept (perhaps the modern glut of zombie stuff). I'll have to track it down, now.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hammer’s Hound of the Baskervilles is an absolute cracker of a film and much my favourite Sherlock movie. Cushing’s slightly chilly, precise Holmes is excellent.

It’s something we watch at least once a year. Though we also probably watch the Jeremy Brett one that often as well, and he remains the best Holmes overall.

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Lee has 16 lines in the first film according to imdb, which, granted, is more than I remembered him having. He's still a more physical presence in the movie than in other adaptations I've seen.

Hammer's catalog is filled with semi-forgotten flicks that are still really worth exploring, including the Quatermass series and even stuff like The Abominable Snowman, which is a surprisingly moody and thoughtful take on the concept that I had the pleasure of first watching during a night-time snowstorm. Their run of horror sequels are even frequently not that bad; Cushing's Frankenstein is such an evil prick on screen that it's hard not to enjoy him doing anything, and the Dracula series somehow hits a new peak at movie four, even if by then they've basically run out of anything new to say in the setting.

The Hound of the Baskervilles was excellent, but I've yet to watch Plague of Zombies... I dunno, something put me off of the concept (perhaps the modern glut of zombie stuff). I'll have to track it down, now.

The Plague of the Zombies is about o.g. voodoo zombies rather than flesh-chewing brain-eaters, so in that regard it's pretty unique.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Hammer’s Hound of the Baskervilles is an absolute cracker of a film and much my favourite Sherlock movie. Cushing’s slightly chilly, precise Holmes is excellent.

It’s something we watch at least once a year. Though we also probably watch the Jeremy Brett one that often as well, and he remains the best Holmes overall.

My dad thinks Basil Rathbone is the best, though I thought the films were dry as the Sahara.

It did have one good stinger, though:

Holmes(to Moriarty): After you.
    Moriarty: I thought you held me in the highest esteem.
    Holmes: I do. As a knave.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

See I've never seen any of them somehow. I've probably seen some of the old universal ones as a kid, but I don't remember those either. I love horror and I've heard so much about the hammer movies the last few years. But they're never streaming, and the dvd collections are all over the place.

Edit I even looked at a means that won't be named, and still had a hard time finding the hammer films. Didn't download any, I want to buy a nice dvd it blu ray collection.

RickRude on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The Devil All The Time is a very long, slightly rough and directionless film that feels a lot like a Coen Brothers film with all the humour removed.

I think I liked it? But then again I'm a bit ill so just flopped on the couch.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Watched a couple 80s horror/comedies, Fright Night and Re-Animator. Both are fun in that cheesy 80s way, but overall I think Re-Animator has withstood the test of time better and is a genuinely great movie, whereas Fright Night is mostly fun in a "haha, weren't the 80s silly" kind of way. Prince Humperdink is delightfully hammy as the vampire, and the squealing guitar leads while he's prowling around are pure hot molten 80s cheese, but yeah it's not really a great horror movie. I also don't have any nostalgia for it, I'd probably like it more if I had seen it when I was younger. Re-Animator on the other hand is delightfully gruesome, it's on that Return of the Living Dead level of having fun with outrageous splatter effects. There is an unnecessary rape scene which is tastelessly played for laughs but unfortunately that sort of thing can be hard to avoid in this era. That aside, it's a fun, inventive movie that keeps escalating how gross and crazy it is.

Also watched two more indies, The Invitation and We Are Still Here. Both were pretty disappointing. The Invitation is a "dinner party from hell" movie with some good performances, but is completely predictable. We Are Still Here is a bog standard haunted house movie which got weirdly fawning reviews. Neither movie showed me anything I haven't seen before, they weren't bad exactly, both were competent, I just kept waiting for some twist or wrinkle in their formulas, but both played out exactly as expected.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Shudder currently has Slumber Party Massacre I and II, as well as Chopping Mall and Sorority Babes at the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama. Time for some trashy B movie fun! I remember being particularly fond of the latter.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Shudder currently has Slumber Party Massacre I and II, as well as Chopping Mall and Sorority Babes at the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama. Time for some trashy B movie fun! I remember being particularly fond of the latter.

Slumber Party 2 sucks, feel free to skip it.

Slumber Party 1 and Chopping Mall are so good!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Hubie Halloween (Netflix) is shockingly good, and like Murder Mystery feels like a Sandler comedy where he actually cared again, and the whole thing is lifted by everyone having a good time and feeling like they enjoy working on the film beyond just a paycheck. It is what Grown Ups wanted to be in terms of execution. I am dangerously close to making it H&G Certified.

The story revolves around Hubie Dubios, a fifty year old glorified hall monitor (who is mostly a cross between Waterboy and Little Nicky) and ex Eagle Scout who is easily scared and still lives with his mom. It's Salem, on Halloween, and he wants to make sure everyone has good trick or treating because his family dates back to the witch trials and standing up for the weak. But he's the weak one because everyone in town bullies him. But things go spooky on Halloween as people disappear and Hubie is on the case! Plus Julie Bowen is his long time crush and she is still 9/10 would bang.

It has the usual Sandler checklist in just being a big ensemble comedy, product placement (with Hershey's so it's believable for Halloween), but in having a lot of callbacks to other Happy Madison movies too it makes the whole thing enjoyable. There are two running gags that should have failed but because everyone tried this time, they work well; Hubie being increasingly harassed on his bike with an ever growing arsenal of dangerous items thrown his way, and his magical thermos that holds soup but also a bunch of scene specific items like it's a swiss army knife. That it's only brought up once in passing is what makes the absurdity work in a otherwise normal story. This is also the right kind of improv, where it's not a whole scene improvised but just the few seconds after the story/scene has advanced. That also helps with the quick editing so things don't linger and drag as it flails about not being funny. There were quite a few times I chuckled because there were solid set ups to jokes and payoff on real life things, like the Harley Quinn joke or the silly shirts Hubie's mom wore.

The only downside to the movie is a subplot with Julie Bowen's kids (Will Byers and Sandler's daughters) that feels tacked on by Netflix to try and hit the young kid demo even though we know the algorithm will still recommend it to you, and that it will warp your brain as you see Steve Buscemi look more like his actual age of 63, and Ray Liotta is clearly a 65 year old man with plastic surgery. By having so many people from Sandler stuff in it, it's more jarring than something like Grown Ups in seeing all these people get old in front you. Even Sandler's mom in the movie, June Squibb, is actually 90 and I can't process this.

I would have paid to see/rent the movie, which is something I can't say for every Netflix Sandler movie (bar Murder Mystery). It will be a good Halloween staple that's not a horror movie but also not a kid's halloween movie, a nice solid PG-13 comedy.

I loved how inexplicably and transparently thirsty the love interest was from the very beginning.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Watched a couple 80s horror/comedies, Fright Night and Re-Animator. Both are fun in that cheesy 80s way, but overall I think Re-Animator has withstood the test of time better and is a genuinely great movie, whereas Fright Night is mostly fun in a "haha, weren't the 80s silly" kind of way. Prince Humperdink is delightfully hammy as the vampire, and the squealing guitar leads while he's prowling around are pure hot molten 80s cheese, but yeah it's not really a great horror movie. I also don't have any nostalgia for it, I'd probably like it more if I had seen it when I was younger. Re-Animator on the other hand is delightfully gruesome, it's on that Return of the Living Dead level of having fun with outrageous splatter effects. There is an unnecessary rape scene which is tastelessly played for laughs but unfortunately that sort of thing can be hard to avoid in this era. That aside, it's a fun, inventive movie that keeps escalating how gross and crazy it is.

Also watched two more indies, The Invitation and We Are Still Here. Both were pretty disappointing. The Invitation is a "dinner party from hell" movie with some good performances, but is completely predictable. We Are Still Here is a bog standard haunted house movie which got weirdly fawning reviews. Neither movie showed me anything I haven't seen before, they weren't bad exactly, both were competent, I just kept waiting for some twist or wrinkle in their formulas, but both played out exactly as expected.

If you haven't seen it, the Fright Night remake is better than the original.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What's the horror movie where demons and ghosts invade a high school prom? I remember the prom king was about to be crowned with a booby-trapped crown and the prom queen saves him at the last second. And she had a flamethrower.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

If you haven't seen it, the Fright Night remake is better than the original.

This movie was better than it had any right to be. It was amazing in 3d. It does a bunch of really interesting camera work, despite a limited budget showing throughout. I never saw the original, but this remake was a pretty good fun time.

I don't know if this is in the original, but this was clever and great gambit at the end:

A vampire can't catch you if you are on fire.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Oh hey, Arrow Video BOGOF sale at Zavvi. Always nice when that happens. Plumped for An American Werewolf in London and 12 Monkeys - I still haven't actually seen the latter but it's probably up my street.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    It’s kinda sweet how Adam Sandler keeps casting the same women over and over to play opposite him

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    It’s kinda sweet how Adam Sandler keeps casting the same women over and over to play opposite him

See, and I was just thinking how it's sweet that all these women want to work with him again. I wish his movies were better, but i don't hate the guy for his filming vacations. They must be a great time if everybody keeps coming back without hesitation.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

This makes no sense when you have a much more perfect version of Hound of the Baskervilles (spoilers for HotB):

https://youtu.be/wOj-Is2ylA0

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Oh and uh that has real spoilers for Hound of the Baskervilles.

• Options

See, and I was just thinking how it's sweet that all these women want to work with him again. I wish his movies were better, but i don't hate the guy for his filming vacations. They must be a great time if everybody keeps coming back without hesitation.

I don't like the product but I respect the hell out of his hustle.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Reanimater has Jeffrey combs eating ALL the scenery

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What's the horror movie where demons and ghosts invade a high school prom? I remember the prom king was about to be crowned with a booby-trapped crown and the prom queen saves him at the last second. And she had a flamethrower.

Aha, found it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWsV1yTSeaA

This looks terribad.

• Options

Is this supposed to be an insinuation? He does this with literally all his friends for decades for easy paychecks. It was just previously mostly male.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I don't like the product but I respect the hell out of his hustle.

A lot of my distaste over his success is absolutely jealousy. If I could make that money doing those projects, and for some reason my circle of friends didnt have enough money, I'd 100% cash in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    Yo I liked Hubie Halloween. Yes, I was drunk but I had a GREAT time :)

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

Is this supposed to be an insinuation? He does this with literally all his friends for decades for easy paychecks. It was just previously mostly male.

Not an insinuation of anything other than Adam Sandler being a decent guy who likes to get work for his friends.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Now I'm just picturing a heist-movie montage of Adam Sandler showing up at people's houses and places of business, telling them he's putting a crew together, and Steve Buscemi saying, "You son of a bitch. I'm in!"

And now I sort of want to see an Adam Sandler heist movie.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Adam Sandler is an tim everyman and unsatisfied with his job. He plans a heist on a Hollywood producer by promising he has a script written by the most famous comedy writer in the world “Adam Sandler”. He gets the gang together and bamboozles the producer into letting them make a movie in Hawaii. Hijinks ensue as the producer wanders around the set and everyone pretends to be making a movie, but no one has read “The Script

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I felt like watching something spooky I hadn't seen before, ended up liking the synopsis of this 2017 Colin Farrell movie I'd never heard of before, The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Which turned out to be less spooky and more Unsettling. With a capital U. The whole time. Just constantly bad anxious feelings and uncomfortableness throughout the entire 2 hour runtime.

9/10 really excellently made film. Amazing Cinematography. Would not recommend to anyone.

I suppose I should get around to seeing Dogtooth and The Lobster at some point.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I felt like watching something spooky I hadn't seen before, ended up liking the synopsis of this 2017 Colin Farrell movie I'd never heard of before, The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Which turned out to be less spooky and more Unsettling. With a capital U. The whole time. Just constantly bad anxious feelings and uncomfortableness throughout the entire 2 hour runtime.

9/10 really excellently made film. Amazing Cinematography. Would not recommend to anyone.

The Lobster is neither spooky nor unsettling. It's fucking weird but not unsettling. Also a high quality film.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Now I'm just picturing a heist-movie montage of Adam Sandler showing up at people's houses and places of business, telling them he's putting a crew together, and Steve Buscemi saying, "You son of a bitch. I'm in!"

And now I sort of want to see an Adam Sandler heist movie.

So would it be a movie where all his friends play characters in the heist movie, a movie where they play themselves running a heist, or pretend to be playing characters for a movie that exists only for them to do a heist but they're actually playing themselves for the "real" parts?

Though for it to be a proper heist movie, I guess there has to be some dumb twist combination of the above.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular

The Lobster is neither spooky nor unsettling. It's fucking weird but not unsettling. Also a high quality film.
    Also not (particularly) spooky, but IMO plenty unsettling at times, and a great film all around: The Favourite. Lanthimos is always worth checking out, if you don't mind your films being unsettling and strange.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Adam Sandler should be the next James Bond.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Thanks to my favourite cinema, I finally got to check out Bob Fosse's All that Jazz on a big screen, and wow, is it worth it. I'd long avoided the film because the snippets I'd seen of Fosse's work put me off somewhat (I don't always enjoy camp, and what I'd seen had made me think that Fosse is heavy on camp), but then a Matt Zoller Seitz video essay on All that Jazz's editing changed my mind, and I already loved it for its exuberant energy and rhythm when seeing it on a small screen. The film is truly at home at a cinema, though, and it's a wonderful performance by Scheider, especially for people who mainly know him as Chief Brody from Jaws. There are few films with as much energy and flair.

At the same time, the film is supremely self-indulgent, especially in its final third, and boy, All that Jazz finds it more difficult to come to an end than The Return of the King. While some self-indulgence is a given due to the material and the person the film is about, I do think that it would've been better if it was shorter. There are repetitions that belabour points that are already obvious, and there's a long musical sequence that turns out to be a false ending, followed by another long musical sequence, and at some point I found myself thinking, "Could you please die already?" Again, it fits the character, but it also makes it feel like Joe Gideon is almost able to hang on to life indefinitely simply because he's not done with his victory lap yet, which IMO goes against the breathtaking brutality of *that* cut from Gideon's musical fantasy back to reality.

Nonetheless: All that Jazz is a great film to watch on a big screen, it's a film that's joyous, blackly comic, deeply sad, and amazingly horny. It's showtime, folks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU_hnwVcUZw

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Adam Sandler should be the next James Bond.

"Enough with da freakin' mooks already! GEEEZ!"

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    The Ritual is a great horror movie on Netflix too!

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    The Ritual is a great horror movie on Netflix too!

This one flew under the radar but it's absolutely worth watching, if only for
    the tremendously good creature design. Even seeing the silhouette of the fucking thing is unsettling.

Burnage on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular

No one is taking vacation to North shore Massachusetts. So at least this movie was more genuine than just a paid vaca for friends

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »

Also not (particularly) spooky, but IMO plenty unsettling at times, and a great film all around: The Favourite. Lanthimos is always worth checking out, if you don't mind your films being unsettling and strange.

While I agree with what you said I'm trying to imagine a Netflix film category that would include The Lobster and The Favourite and coming up blank. Maybe "Difficult to Categorize".

This discussion has been closed.