As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] 2.75 Gamecubes

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I assume they will make similar deals worldwide at regional retailers.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Physical retail for video games is more viable in some territories in others. Taiwan, which ironically was a late comer to the console space, is highly urbanized and has a lot of second-hand retail outlets that offer trade-in, etc., for video games, films, etc., despite having decent broadband infrastructure.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

It does answer the "how do we get retailers to sell our digital-only console" question.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »

It does answer the "how do we get retailers to sell our digital-only console" question.

didnt even think of that

Shock-Wow-GIF-source.gif

• Options
    Me 25 mins ago "I have no real interest in AC:Valhalla"

Me now "well shit"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVDvTi4JKks

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Wow. New dashboard comes back from sleep super fast.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    So this is a hell of a thing

tl;dr or for those who cant read tweets

Gamestop now gets a cut of all digital content bought on Xbox's bought from their stores, therefore incentivizing Gamestop to push the Xbox bran over Playstation

notable that this is 'any device' and doesn't specify consoles. could this cover mobile too? MS have partnered with Samsung to push Game Pass and will launch the service on iOS next year. could GameSpot be getting a share of Game Pass from devices they sell? are we going to see GameStop actively pushing Game Pass to customers going forward?

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Gamestop never sold new mobile devices and were getting out of used ones I thought?

There's also a tracking issue. I have to think that the new xboxes shipped to Gamestop have a unique range of certificates that identifies them as a Gamestop device,so when you connect online MS knows that you bought it at gamestop. Otherwise gamestop would have to link your microsoft account to the purchase at the store or something. Not sure how they could push that hardware certificate onto non-Microsoft devices.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Gamestop never sold new mobile devices and were getting out of used ones I thought?

There's also a tracking issue. I have to think that the new xboxes shipped to Gamestop have a unique range of certificates that identifies them as a Gamestop device. Not sure how they could push that onto non-Microsoft devices.

a free Game Pass code with purchase of a compatible phone that lets them see that the device was purchased through GameStop?

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.gematsu.com/2020/10/mass-effect-legendary-edition-rated-in-korea

The South Korean ratings board leaked the (previously leaked 100 times) Mass Effect remasters, cominv to PC, Xbone, and PS4 sometime soon

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »

The South Korean ratings board leaked the (previously leaked 100 times) Mass Effect remasters, cominv to PC, Xbone, and PS4 sometime soon

I'm still a little salty that it's not coming to Switch (because portable goddamn Mass Effect) but obviously I'm all over that shit when it hits. They'd have to fuck it up royally to make me not.

• Options
    Curious if there will be any next gen enhancements.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Until this is officially announced I will not believe any of these leaks, I swear we've had rating board leaks as well before.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

I'm still a little salty that it's not coming to Switch (because portable goddamn Mass Effect) but obviously I'm all over that shit when it hits. They'd have to fuck it up royally to make me not.

Have they not already done that?

• Options
    Curious if there will be any next gen enhancements.

Im not going to say no, but Jeff Grubb who has been the main guy about this seemed to imply its actually fairly barebones and seemed to imply most of the work went into ME1 to bring it up to snuff with the sequels what ever that means.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    It's probably like the new Mafia releases, 2 and 3 are exactly the same but have all the DLC, while 1 got a full graphical remake with some big gameplay enhancements

• Options
    It's probably like the new Mafia releases, 2 and 3 are exactly the same but have all the DLC, while 1 got a full graphical remake with some big gameplay enhancements

Thats setting yourself up for disappoint

• Options

Have they not already done that?

:rotate:

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    It’s going to just be a barebones re release for all of them, more like mafia 2. There’s no way they put any money into actually remaking it like they did for mafia 1

• Options
    Its not officially confirmed so no use speculating on something that has been "leaked" several times over and still has no confirmation

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Its not officially confirmed so no use speculating on something that has been "leaked" several times over and still has no confirmation

Eh it's fun to speculate and it makes 100% sense business-wise so it's one of those rumors that's like "yeah duh they'd be dumb not to."

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I could do without a constant stream of remasters of games.

• Options

I'd rather have Backwards Compatible versions but hey, being able to play most everything on one console either way is the end goal

Remasters are fine if not lazy cash grabs *glares at the back of Nintendo's head*

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Same.

But I could still go for a remaster of <insert game here>, obviously.

(In my case, Crimson Skies.)

mcdermott on
  • Options
    mcdermott wrote: »

Same.

But I could still go for a remaster or <insert game here>, obviously.

Playing it on an Xbox One almost feels like a remaster, albeit a half-assed one. The up-rez is very nice and the game holds up.

• Options
    BC is nice, but there are really so few games that I would want to play long after their original generation has been supplanted.

ME1 is thirteen years old and a second new generation of consoles is about to be released. Even if I hadn't been so disappointed in how it all turned out I'd still be fine with them working on something actually new.

• Options
    BC is nice, but there are really so few games that I would want to play long after their original generation has been supplanted.

ME1 is thirteen years old and a second new generation of consoles is about to be released. Even if I hadn't been so disappointed in how it all turned out I'd still be fine with them working on something actually new.

The good news is rarely are remasters handled by the teams that originally made them.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

Same.

Playing it on an Xbox One almost feels like a remaster, albeit a half-assed one. The up-rez is very nice and the game holds up.

Same.

Still no multiplayer though, right?

The campaign was great, but I really just long for the late nights doing amazing Wild Chicken runs in my Bulldog. BUCKAW!

• Options

The good news is rarely are remasters handled by the teams that originally made them.

It hardly matters if I already don't want to play the game now.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

Same.

But I could still go for a remaster of <insert game here>, obviously.

but the good PC version of Crimson Skies please

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    If the remaster sells well, it might prompt EA to greenlight a new Mass Effect game.

'course whether or not a new Mass Effect would be worth a damn is a dicey proposition these days.

• Options

It hardly matters if I already don't want to play the game now.

Yeah, but... You said you'd rather them be working on something new. The original devs likely are, and the teams that do ports and remasters are usually smaller teams that don't do many original games, often coming from mobile world and moving to consoles with simple port jobs..

And just because you or I don't want it, doesn't mean it won't happen. There's plenty who do want it and will pay for it again until the end of time.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    If the remaster sells well, it might prompt EA to greenlight a new Mass Effect game.

'course whether or not a new Mass Effect would be worth a damn is a dicey proposition these days.

I mean, I hope the (likely) lackluster sales of Mass Effect Andromeda and the Anthem mess have encouraged Bioware to stop being a writhing mass of unorganized chaos, but who knows.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Can we stick to xbox stuff and not have another god damn "lol bioware" thread. Like christ.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Preacher wrote: »
    Can we stick to xbox stuff and not have another god damn "lol bioware" thread. Like christ.

...hoping Bioware has gotten their act together enough to make unambiguously successful games is "lol Bioware?"

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I believe that's what's known as "attempting to head things off at the pass".

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »
    I believe that's what's known as "attempting to head things off at the pass".

so would anything from here on out be considered the Pass Effect?

• Options
    How dare we talk about a game series on the Xbox, indeed one which was once exclusive to Xbox, in the Xbox thread.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    How dare we talk about a game series on the Xbox, indeed one which was once exclusive to Xbox, in the Xbox thread.

I mean there is discussion on mass effect in at least 2 other threads right now and there is a dedicated thread for ME on the front page.

• Options
    We're not really talking about it. At least we weren't. It was about remasters of games you can already play.