As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Instant Pot vs Crock-Pot [chat]

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The Secret Fire of Prometheus
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    There is also a major character who talks in third person AND WHY DO THEY KEEP ON LOCALIZING THEM AS TALKING IN THIRD PERSON WHEN THAT IS NOT A CULTURAL INDICATOR OF ANYTHING BESIDES POMPOUSNESS IN ENGLISH

Elmo.

Elmo is the Caesar of Sesame Street

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Regulating loot boxes as gambling was on the agenda here until it was overtaken by other events

I recall reading something about EA changing the way some parts of FIFA worked to take it outside the scope of the recommendations of a gambling working group

I think it had a mode where you paid real money for a randomised player for use in multi?

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Fifa's create a team used this gambling model? No wonder it was the game's primary source of revenue, greatly outweighing the purchase price.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Crock-Pot
    I had dinner and drinks with a coworker who just quit his job. He has nothing else lined up. Oracle has been fucking people around on salary. He was making a few grand less than me, had an ops load I didn't have, had harder daily work, and 4 years more experience than me. He's going to do some stuff related to his insomnia and do some studying and then try for a FAANG cloud dev job.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Crock-Pot
    Surreal fucking experience having that conversation outdoors with masked waitstaff and ash drifting past us on the breeze, I tell you what.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Surreal fucking experience having that conversation outdoors with masked waitstaff and ash drifting past us on the breeze, I tell you what.

this is fine ☕️

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Wait, puppies, you work for Oracle?!?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    There is also a major character who talks in third person AND WHY DO THEY KEEP ON LOCALIZING THEM AS TALKING IN THIRD PERSON WHEN THAT IS NOT A CULTURAL INDICATOR OF ANYTHING BESIDES POMPOUSNESS IN ENGLISH

What's it mean in whatever asian language it's being translated from?

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Here is a glumpkin.

4g53byjox4ig.png
    Here is a grumpkin.

56fj03oy60uo.jpeg
    Here is a rumpkin.

pg454tneuttu.jpeg

• Options
    the rump-and-stem pose is objectifying of pumpkins and setting unrealistic expectations for rind flexibility

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Delivery

I’m of two minds about this. On the one hand, translating modes of speech that don’t have a clear equivalent in the target language make the translation more natural and clarify the language to readers who don’t know the source language. On the other hand, it conveys important information about the character and how they talk about themselves and others (weirds me out in persona 4 when they translate characters calling each other by last name to characters calling each other by first name; yes it’s weird in English but it means something about their relationship so don’t translate that out), as well as indicating stylistically that you are reading something in translation (which I kind of like).

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Crock-Pot
    Sarksus wrote: »

Yeah bro. A couple years now. OCI org.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Fifa's create a team used this gambling model? No wonder it was the game's primary source of revenue, greatly outweighing the purchase price.

Their defence was twofold: by analogy to trading cards/panini stickers (which are a big deal for football obsessed kids here, possibly not meaningful transatlantically); and by arguing that as it isn't possible to "cash out" or otherwise trade for cash it definitionally can't be gambling.

As I understand it, the mode is pay real money to unlock a fixed number of (in-game) players of uncertain quality, with a trading mode that allows swaps with other FIFA players.

I know that the mode is specifically outlawed in Belgium and the Netherlands.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Baru book 2 is so emotionally grueling

Also my coworkers house burned down in the wildfire

• Options
    Their defence was twofold: by analogy to trading cards/panini stickers
    The obvious solution is to also ban those

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    So, in Iqaluit, we have a C-Band satellite link. Our voice traffic and network management stuff all goes over that. Local internet service used to go over that, but it was severely bandwidth restricted.

A few years ago, Telesat put up Ka-band satellites. We signed up. Ka band is supposed to have much higher throughput - and it does. But it's a smaller wavelength and there was concern about vulnerability to weather conditions - something all satellite bands have, but there were worries Ka would be much worse than C.

Fast forward to today: There is heavy snow in Iqaluit and we have a tech sweeping off the dish every 15-20 minutes because the connection keeps dropping out. For the last 3 or 4 years we've basically had massive drops to service connectivity any time it rains or snows in a community served by Ka band satellite. It is so bad.

And the problem is - there is nothing that can be done about it in the short or even medium term.

And this makes me wonder about Starlink, SpaceX's satellite internet service. It's supposed to provide internet to 'underserved' areas, like the far north. But they will be running Ka band, too. Are customers going to have to go sweep their dish every few minutes whenever it's snowing? Will customers lose service any time it rains? Because from what I can see now, the answer is yes.

And that's fucking stupid.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

Yeah bro. A couple years now. OCI org.

*gasp*

• Options
    Crock-Pot
    Organichu wrote: »
    Baru book 2 is so emotionally grueling

Also my coworkers house burned down in the wildfire

Oh no where do they live ;.;

sig.gif
  • Options
    Obviously lots of card games use the same blind pack model but it seems to be less harmful there because physically going to a place, social pressure around obviously wasting tons of money, and buying a physical item tempers impulses somewhat. Holding a giant stack of opened cards seems to help snap some people out of the compulsion. And if it doesn't, physical availability kicks in when the store runs out. It ends up not being as much of a menace but if people demand consistency, by all means, fuck 'em. No IRL blind boxes either.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    So, in Iqaluit, we have a C-Band satellite link. Our voice traffic and network management stuff all goes over that. Local internet service used to go over that, but it was severely bandwidth restricted.

A few years ago, Telesat put up Ka-band satellites. We signed up. Ka band is supposed to have much higher throughput - and it does. But it's a smaller wavelength and there was concern about vulnerability to weather conditions - something all satellite bands have, but there were worries Ka would be much worse than C.

Fast forward to today: There is heavy snow in Iqaluit and we have a tech sweeping off the dish every 15-20 minutes because the connection keeps dropping out. For the last 3 or 4 years we've basically had massive drops to service connectivity any time it rains or snows in a community served by Ka band satellite. It is so bad.

And the problem is - there is nothing that can be done about it in the short or even medium term.

And this makes me wonder about Starlink, SpaceX's satellite internet service. It's supposed to provide internet to 'underserved' areas, like the far north. But they will be running Ka band, too. Are customers going to have to go sweep their dish every few minutes whenever it's snowing? Will customers lose service any time it rains? Because from what I can see now, the answer is yes.

Could you not heat the dish to prevent this? Electrical heaters are cheap as can be and you've already got wiring running out there.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

I thought part of the point was to have local ground stations that tracked the constellation* and then wired transmission from there?

*cause the satellites aren't geostationary so you need something fancier than a standard dish pointed at a specific part of the sky

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Could you not heat the dish to prevent this? Electrical heaters are cheap as can be and you've already got wiring running out there.

There's a few solutions - quakers and de-icers. They are....intermittently effective at best. So far, no solution beats just having someone go out and manually sweep off the dish.

EDIT: I'm not sure of the feasibility of heating the dish. For an area that hits -50 degrees C, it's probably harder than it sounds to make work.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    k
    Obviously lots of card games use the same blind pack model but it seems to be less harmful there because physically going to a place, social pressure around obviously wasting tons of money, and buying a physical item tempers impulses somewhat. Holding a giant stack of opened cards seems to help snap some people out of the compulsion. And if it doesn't, physical availability kicks in when the store runs out. It ends up not being as much of a menace but if people demand consistency, by all means, fuck 'em. No IRL blind boxes either.

1) Get rid of loot boxes
    2) Don't use the government to get rid of loot boxes; customers rejecting them en masse will sway the industry. See: Shadow of War, Star Wars Battlefront 2

• Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/18/huge-cat-found-etched-desert-nazca-lines-peru
    Huge cat found etched into desert among Nazca Lines in Peru
    Yes, of course they would make one of a cat.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I don't think customers rejecting loot boxes en masse matters much, since most of the income for lootboxes is from the whales and dolphins. Minnows and shrimp (or whatever the term is for those who barely pay) are a tiny fraction of lootbox income.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Crock-Pot
    emnmnme wrote: »
    k

1) Get rid of loot boxes
    2) Don't use the government to get rid of loot boxes; customers rejecting them en masse will sway the industry. See: Shadow of War, Star Wars Battlefront 2

Do you agree that collective action problems exist and that if you were wrong about number 2 that government getting rid of them would be worse than not getting rid of them?

sig.gif
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    cat-in-pumpkin-500x450.jpg

• Options

I loved Android: Netrunner's and Keyforge's solutions to this. Netrunner was just expansions. No blind boxes, you buy sets and always know exactly what's in the box. Keyforge is pure blind, but the decks are not alterable - they come as a unique pack. Without the meta, it means cards have no individual value and while some people might buy tons of decks, I think the fact there's no deckbuilding lowers that impulse.

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I don't think customers rejecting loot boxes en masse matters much, since most of the income for lootboxes is from the whales and dolphins. Minnows and shrimp (or whatever the term is for those who barely pay) are a tiny fraction of lootbox income.

Didn't help Shadow of War. The outcry was such that Warner Bros. abandoned their model.

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »

Also cause uh,
    Clearly customers aren't rejecting loot boxes en masse?

Like occasionally they fail to take hold in specific games, but that just means the companies learn to integrate and manipulate better.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    @Kid Presentable what is ur heats choices

@Casual Eddy
    Once you're pushing to 32, it's more like what Heat choices are you NOT taking

what ended up working for me was leaving Lasting Consequences at 0% so that I could effectively heal (this let me get to Styx without burning any Death Defiance) - my first handful of attempts I had this cranked up and I think swapping it out for something else was what made the biggest difference for me

I avoided Forced Overtime because changing every enemy in the game's speed and therefore timing was really throwing me off, and left off Tight Deadline so I could take my time and play things safe/smart as needed (this clear was by far my slowest clear ever, lots of safely chipping away at things from a distance with the Rail's rocket launcher)

Heat setup
    ykq2n4kd2c4z.png

• Options

Also, in the digital space, I think a lot of the income from these relies on kids using a console with an account linked to a credit/debit card that isn't theirs

There's less chance of a kid being able to buy hundreds or thousands of [currency units] worth of physical cards because they lack access to the ability to pay for them

• Options
    k

1) Get rid of loot boxes

Do you agree that collective action problems exist and that if you were wrong about number 2 that government getting rid of them would be worse than not getting rid of them?

Of course a problem exists. Some loon spent $47K on a silly anime game three pages ago.

I have little confidence a government intervention into an industry is doesn't understand will surgically solve the problem. They will ban loot boxes and they will ban the purchasable after-market content like DLC and expansion packs.

• Options
    frankly, if MtG boosters are outlawed because they also get classified as gambling then I'm ok with it?

Like, yeah, loot boxes ruled it for everyone. MtG will still function as an LCG, it just won't make quite as much money.

• Options
    k

1) Get rid of loot boxes

Of course a problem exists. Some loon spent $47K on a silly anime game three pages ago.

I have little confidence a government intervention into an industry is doesn't understand will surgically solve the problem. They will ban loot boxes and they will ban the purchasable after-market content like DLC and expansion packs.

So?

I mean I think that's also unlikely, since the likely determining factor will be "do you know what you're buying before you pay for it?"

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    k

1) Get rid of loot boxes

I'd love to see them ban loot boxes, but why does that necessarily mean they'll ban purchasable after-market content? One is gambling, the other is not.

And even if they do, what's the worst that happens, we go back to a gaming model that worked for decades before 2010? OH NO, THE HORRORS.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

more of them are marketed directly at children which means they go first on the rack

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    What if instead of banning gambling we got to the root of the problem and banned money

Coinage on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Delivery
    yeah, gacha is bad, but gacha is bad because i didn't get the cute boy character i kind of wanted in genshin impact, not because of the so-called "actual" reasons

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    yeah saying that banning loot boxes means banning dlc is just

utterly ridiculous?

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.