Options

[2020 Election] The Long Weekend

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Jragghen wrote: »

Signal boost this if you know floridians

I’d prefer the voters I know in Florida not having signed their ballots.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    That celebrity list-

If you sort the ones that are listed Declined, it includes Trevor Noah...

They asked.... Trevor Noah.

??? What? I

What?

I think the point of the campaign was to produce something apolitically hopeful so a lot of influential people were put on a list but GOP dipshits got ahold of the list and whittled it down to nothing because nothing is allowed to be apolitical or bipartisan anymore.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Ideally, it would be nice to get to Tuesday, but people keep screaming about delusions that the SCOTUS is going to pull an obvious asspull.

People really should get grounded in reality and wait for shit to finish. If there is fuckery, it's going to be in a subtle way. Not this crazy nonsense of the courts telling everyone to stop counting because they've said so. Also people seem to forget that there are other government entities that won't sit idly by if one branch of the government attempts a coup. That's the other reason why the whole thing is nonsense and both Roberts and Gorsuch know this, that there are a bunch of government entities with much more power of force than SCOTUS, that will not let them do as they please in regards to the election.

I appreciate the call for temperance, but I think it's absolutely justified that people should be freaked out about the SCOTUS right now. After everything we've been seeing, we have already had a number of cases reach them about throwing out already cast ballots. The "Mail in Ballots don't count after election day" thing was also a pretty glaring red flag.

Like you said, it'll be subtle. No one's worried that the SCOTUS will say something like "We Declare Joe Biden UNCONSTITUTIONAL! GAURDS! ARREST HIM!" People are worried that they'll very smoothly say something like "The vote count in this one particular region must be stopped because of some technicality", and that'll be enough to give PA to Trump.

Also, on the topic of "other government entities that won't sit idly by"... Man, where have you been the last four years? That's all they've been doing. Because they're all compromised or mutable.

I'm not trying to sling negativity here, but telling people that the SCOTUS is nothing to worry about in this election, particularly after they rammed through the Barret nomination, is like standing on train tracks with a pair of glaring lights headed right for you and saying "That's not a train. Trains would never hit people. They're concerned about the image of train travel!"
    Absolutely worry about the train. Trains are fucking dangerous.

But the Supreme Court would also need the state legislature's cooperation to fuck with votes that way. Bush had the Florida state government's support in 2000, so they were working on an end-around to send GOP electors whether or not the USSC allowed the recounts that Bush sued to stop.

Let's pretend the snake chart is an accurate assessment of what we see on Tuesday, and Biden takes Iowa, Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, Arizona, and Pennsylvania (as well as those already on the Biden side of the line). They GOP would have to identify counties whose votes they needed to suppress, sue to stop recounts, then the state legislature would have to agree to certify the votes as (not) counted, and send GOP-friendly electors to vote for Trump. In each of those six states.

I'm not saying that's impossible. That's exactly what Bush did with Florida in 2000, and every one of those states is GOP controlled (except for Pennsylvania, but the GOP controls the state legislature so it's possible they could try something without the governor's approval). But five of the six of those states would have to agree to it, because any two of them would give Biden enough electoral votes.

And, again... the states choose which electors to send to vote for the president. If the USSC had sided with Gore and told Florida they'd have to recount the votes, the state legislature was already working on bill saying they were sending electors based on the previously counted values regardless of what the USSC said.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Public service announcement if you see a video from "Blaire Erskine" she's a satirist and not an actual Trump supporter. Don't be like Micheal Moore.

Oh god did he retweet that video she made about the Omaha rally?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Public service announcement if you see a video from "Blaire Erskine" she's a satirist and not an actual Trump supporter. Don't be like Micheal Moore.

Not only did he retweet it, he used her satire as an explanation for why Trump will win. Like some people are trying to cover it by saying "she's just like actual trump voters" but he still used a clearly satirical video to make a point and oh god its fucking funny.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Not only did he retweet it, he used her satire as an explanation for why Trump will win. Like some people are trying to cover it by saying "she's just like actual trump voters" but he still used a clearly satirical video to make a point and oh god its fucking funny.

I hope he's just high on his own supply after guessing right 4 years ago

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    https://www.cbs17.com/news/your-local-election-hq/state-board-of-elections-tells-carrboro-to-take-down-black-lives-matter-flags-from-town-hall
    The North Carolina Board of Election received a “couple of emailed complaints” about the flags which are affixed to the building located at 301 W Main St.

The Board of Election said it began to contact Town officials about the complaints before hearing from the General Counsel of the Republican Party.

The GOP’s counsel told the Board it had received “numerous additional complaints” about the flags.

That developement led the Board of Elections to request the Town take down the Black Lives Matter flags.

“The flags are attached to the front of the one-stop site and therefore could be interpreted as an official endorsement by the board of elections in favor of a particular movement,” Bell said in the letter.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i don't think that's unreasonable even though i also don't think whether or not black lives matter should be a political issue

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Michael Moore in 2016 was right in so far as he was a bellweather for specific demographics Hilary neglected. Michael Moore in 2020 is just being pessimistic because if he is right he gets attention, and if he is wrong nobody will really care because everyone will be relieved. The ground game in the midwest is very different this year.

Enc on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Someone mentioned if you put a head and some feet on the 538 snake chart, you had a dragon. So to take my mind off the election a bit I created an Election Dragon
    gg4apiq6hpht.png

Unfortunately NE-1 was lost in the process.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    spool32 wrote: »
    lmao Tucker Carlson has been claiming that he had a trove of secret documents that will destroy Biden.
    Now he's claiming that the documents were shipped from NY to their studio in LA and DHL lost them. They were suspiciously and stealthily removed from the package and no one can find them anywhere. Poof! Just gone!

I guess they learned from Rathergate that it's better to claim you have super secret documents that will Change The Election but not show them to anyone!

e: Biden | Harris War Room is a non-blue-checked Biden campaign twitter account. Tweet says
    We disagree with Tucker Carlson on the issues, but no one should ever lose their mail. Joe will make sure the USPS receives the funding it needs to prevent this from happening, and end Trump and DeJoy's efforts to sabotage it so that people like Tucker can get their mail on time.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i don't think that's unreasonable even though i also don't think whether or not black lives matter should be a political issue

Basically. Same way pride flags are political, even if they shouldn’t be. As long as one party explicitly opposes these things, either recognizing that black lives matter or that LGBTQ individuals are equal, it remains a partisan political symbol.

Works for me, honestly. Let them continue to loudly shout from the wrong side of history. Makes them look worse, and makes it easier to spot the trash golems.

That said, it does indeed mean that these symbols have no place on an election site. Much like the blue line flags. In theory, supporting police officers is a nonpartisan statement. In practice...yeah. Hard to ban one and not the other and I don’t want to see ANY of that shit at polling places.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Someone mentioned if you put a head and some feet on the 538 snake chart, you had a dragon. So to take my mind off the election a bit I created an Election Dragon
    gg4apiq6hpht.png

As someone currently in NE-2, that was no loss to the world.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Hmm, that imples that the USPS lost his mail, which is a) wrong (it was notionally DHL), and b) accepts his mendacious cover story as to why he has no evidence to support his bullshit.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of that tweet.

• Options
    I mean Trump's not even flying the american flag over his rallies anymore, he's just got the blue lives matter one. For some reason the people upset about black lives mattering will say nothing on that one.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    mcdermott wrote: »

Basically. Same way pride flags are political, even if they shouldn’t be. As long as one party explicitly opposes these things, either recognizing that black lives matter or that LGBTQ individuals are equal, it remains a partisan political symbol.

Works for me, honestly. Let them continue to loudly shout from the wrong side of history. Makes them look worse, and makes it easier to spot the trash golems.

That said, it does indeed mean that these symbols have no place on an election site. Much like the blue line flags. In theory, supporting police officers is a nonpartisan statement. In practice...yeah. Hard to ban one and not the other and I don’t want to see ANY of that shit at polling places.

Serious question for people who live in areas of the country where confederate flags used to fly a lot: are you seeing fewer confederate flags? Because I suspect that the thin blue line flag is becoming the new more "socially acceptable" confederate flag.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    So do I have this right? Tucker flies to LA to interview Bobulinksy instead of just flying him to the Fox offices for the interview. Doesn't hand carry his trove of secret documents with him for some reason. Calls back to NY to ask his guy to ship them to him in LA. His guy doesn't say, "oh we had one of our wage slaves scan and digitize the entire file, here's a link to the secure cloud, you can download the documents at your convenience." Instead his guy ships the documents, that they haven't backed up, across the country, and now they're mysteriously lost?

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

This entire thing is such bullshit. I think they just shipped paper copies of stuff they already had and they got lost, which happens all the time, and Tucker is a such a pathetic loser that he thought creating this grand conspiracy would be a ratings hit.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Special K wrote: »
    Hmm, that imples that the USPS lost his mail, which is a) wrong (it was notionally DHL), and b) accepts his mendacious cover story as to why he has no evidence to support his bullshit.

It changes the narrative to point out that the problem he is pretending to be facing is also being faced by millions of americans right now in reality, and pointing out who is making that happen. Its fine.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

it is not uncommon to say something tongue-in-cheek to point out how ridiculous someone is being

it doesn't imply there was actually something to lose

• Options
    I also read it as dripping with sarcasm, but that doesn't always convey in text form.

• Options
    I mean Trump's not even flying the american flag over his rallies anymore, he's just got the blue lives matter one. For some reason the people upset about black lives mattering will say nothing on that one.

not really a like situation but you're not wrong about them being hypocrites

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    So, the Republican candidate for Montana Governor, Greg Gianforte, is from Jersey (this is the guy who body slammed a reporter a couple years ago).

His Dem opponent, Mike Cooney, discovered that Chris Christie is on Cameo. So now we get this gem:

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

It does neither. What it does is co-opt a stupid non-story to bring awareness to an important issue.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    So do I have this right? Tucker flies to LA to interview Bobulinksy instead of just flying him to the Fox offices for the interview. Doesn't hand carry his trove of secret documents with him for some reason. Calls back to NY to ask his guy to ship them to him in LA. His guy doesn't say, "oh we had one of our wage slaves scan and digitize the entire file, here's a link to the secure cloud, you can download the documents at your convenience." Instead his guy ships the documents, that they haven't backed up, across the country, and now they're mysteriously lost?

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

This entire thing is such bullshit. I think they just shipped paper copies of shit they already had and they got lost, and Tucker is a such a pathetic loser that he thought creating this grand conspiracy would be a ratings hit.

the only part of the story that's actually implausible is that the documents existed in the first place and were legitimate

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

This entire thing is such bullshit. I think they just shipped paper copies of stuff they already had and they got lost, which happens all the time, and Tucker is a such a pathetic loser that he thought creating this grand conspiracy would be a ratings hit.

I think you are still giving them too much credit. The President and his bootlickers claimed last week to have some vague "big news that will sink Biden's campaign for good" but those documents were eaten by the same fictional dog that ate Obama's real birth certificate.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    gg4apiq6hpht.png

It doesn't have any wings, so that makes it a Chinese dragon. Does this mean that the election dragon is a China hoax like climate change and germ theory?

• Options

This entire thing is such bullshit. I think they just shipped paper copies of shit they already had and they got lost, and Tucker is a such a pathetic loser that he thought creating this grand conspiracy would be a ratings hit.

the only part of the story that's actually implausible is that the documents existed in the first place and were legitimate

Yeah instead of producing fake documents they are just trying to imply there were real ones but like Tuckers canadian mistress who says his penis is 12 inches you don't know them.

I've also been seeing trolls just posting Hunter Biden pictures where he's nude or having sex with someone and like ok? So knock off Jeffrey Dean Morgan fucks I don't get what you think this conveys?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Got to say the Texas numbers are crazy. No way, that's a result of their early vote completely cannibalizing their election day vote. They are just going to have a massive turnout. I really want Texas to go blue because that would just make the heads of all the republicans explode. Also make them really panic.

• Options

Nate Cohn is the NYT numbers guy with monmouths final florida poll.

Biden leads the final Monmouth poll of Florida
    Biden 51, Trump 45 ('high turnout')
    Biden 50, Trump 46 ('low turnout')

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So, the Republican candidate for Montana Governor, Greg Gianforte, is from Jersey (this is the guy who body slammed a reporter a couple years ago).

His Dem opponent, Mike Cooney, discovered that Chris Christie is on Cameo. So now we get this gem:

Who would have guessed that selling your name for pocket change would ever come back to bite you...

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    But the Supreme Court would also need the state legislature's cooperation to fuck with votes that way. Bush had the Florida state government's support in 2000, so they were working on an end-around to send GOP electors whether or not the USSC allowed the recounts that Bush sued to stop.

They don't necessarily need state supreme courts to rule their way

Kavanagh's recent opinion takes the position that if absentee ballots change the outcome of an election, it would "greatly increase concerns over tampering" or some shit and that is undesirable. Basically Kavanagh thinks the election night winner is the true winner and counting mailed ballots equals flipping the election. They are setting the stage for the argument that SCOTUS rulings can preemptively override state court rulings in the interest of 'saving democracy' or some shit.

All this shit doesn't matter though if Trump never leads on election night. They need Trump to over perform in states he's trailing in to even have a shot at stealing the election this way. That's why we need this to not be close.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Re: Carlson’s magically missing missives

I told the story to my mom, who is a high school teacher. Her response? “I’ve heard better excuses for missing work from my students. This is supposed to fly for a major accusation?”

joshofalltrades on
  • Options

The question results in this release have a margin of error of +/- 4.4 percentage points.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

Daily Beast reporter

I'm genuinely excited to hear the next excuse for why he can't show these totally-real documents.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Everyone with a semi-functioning brain knows the documents are bullshit because
    a) It's 2020 and nothing escapes the internet now
    b) Even "non computer people" would know to make a copy or even take a fucking cell phone picture of the documents.

The idea that there is a single physical copy of an important "thing" in this day and age is insulting on it's face.

• Options
    Is this going to be another Capone's vault? Tucker is going to open up a box live on air and it's just going to be, like, a pack of clorox wipes

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Daily Beast reporter

I'm genuinely excited to hear the next excuse for why he can't show these totally-real documents.

'I'm under audit'

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

The question results in this release have a margin of error of +/- 4.4 percentage points.

Which means that high turnout is outside the MOE. So Florida go voooote.

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    Tucker just needs to stall for 6 more days.

This discussion has been closed.