Options

Black Lives Matter Thread 7

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    I'd love to join your commune, but unless it's got power, I don't really have any useful skills to contribute.

you're good! there are not-too-complicated ways to run a gas generator on a wood fire that work pretty well

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I can offer my services as a sexpert

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'd love to join your commune, but unless it's got power, I don't really have any useful skills to contribute.

There better be power. And hot water, and good internet. We're crazy commune nerds, not cave people.

I've lived the limited power/heat/internet life and only deem it acceptable if you regularly get elephants in your garden as a trade off

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    We're actually going to need a lot of money to get this off the ground.

Yeah, land is very expensive unless it's absolute garbage, and even then it will be massively overpriced.

Also need to consider climate shifts because land that might be decent now will be becoming garbage over the next couple decades as the biosphere collapses.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Tef wrote: »
    Requirements to join the SE++ commune:
    Be kind
    Show compassion
    Willingness to dig a hole and/or carry things of varying lengths and weights

The last requirement is negotiable
    Hell, I do that last thing for a living now, I'm good to go; just give me a room with speedy internet and I'm down.
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    We're actually going to need a lot of money to get this off the ground.

Yeah, land is very expensive unless it's absolute garbage, and even then it will be massively overpriced.

Also need to consider climate shifts because land that might be decent now will be becoming garbage over the next couple decades as the biosphere collapses.
    Or the opposite direction of "not great now but climate change makes it better".

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    All land was stolen, let's steal some back, fuck paying for it, a proper commune is a squat anyway, isn't it?

I'm being serious

• Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    I can, I dunno, wash windows?

Dig carrots?

Teach contemporary American literature? Or basic literacy?

...any takers?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

That won't be a problem, because the skills I am going to bring to the commune is stealing a flat bed truck and ram-raiding solar panel warehouses.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I’ll cook and teach language classes.

Who wants to learn Spanish, Chinese, or Japanese?

(I am not qualified to teach any of these languages.)

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    All land was stolen, let's steal some back, fuck paying for it, a proper commune is a squat anyway, isn't it?

I'm being serious

I've been daydreaming about winning the lottery quite a lot recently, and besides a hostel for LGBTQIA+ homeless youth, something would do with a huge windfall of money would be start buying up cheap farmland in water catchment areas and reforesting it. Then I didn't know what to do with it until the other day when I thought "why not just give it back to the traditional owners?" Because what the hell else am I going to do with tens of not hundreds of thousands of acres of woodlands?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

Can you teach me a largely useless pidgin combining all three?

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Just remembered what thread this is so going to stop posting drivel

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    sarukun wrote: »

Can you teach me a largely useless pidgin combining all three?

Claro, 好朋友,これでは決めましょう!

• Options

I'm being serious

I've been daydreaming about winning the lottery quite a lot recently, and besides a hostel for LGBTQIA+ homeless youth, something would do with a huge windfall of money would be start buying up cheap farmland in water catchment areas and reforesting it. Then I didn't know what to do with it until the other day when I thought "why not just give it back to the traditional owners?" Because what the hell else am I going to do with tens of not hundreds of thousands of acres of woodlands?

Hunt the most dangerous game?

Republicans?

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Not every police department needs to be torn to the ground and its officers black listed from law enforcement ever again. But the ones that are tender resemble the LAPD and NYPD.

Less police departments and more military bodies, their political clout overshadows everything.

Their existence has a gravitational effect on all these motions and will determine where the tides will take us

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Black lives matter

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Not every police department needs to be torn to the ground and its officers black listed from law enforcement ever again. But the ones that are tender resemble the LAPD and NYPD.

Less police departments and more military bodies, their political clout overshadows everything.

Their existence has a gravitational effect on all these motions and will determine where the tides will take us

if we don't rip the whole system out by the roots and set it on fire, the police from the departments that get shut down will disperse into all the ones that are still there and the problem hasn't been solved or really even made less severe. the really absurdly over-the-top bad police organizations are a symptom of the problem, not the cause. the cause is the basic idea of police and more specifically the way we've implemented that idea

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    US policing is the natural evolution of the slave catching and union busting groups that they came from.

It's fruit of the poisoned tree. You can't take an institution that was created with the sole purpose of protecting wealthy white people's property and expect it to actually protect and serve the community.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    The Puritans that didn't get kicked out of England had a good idea with their "Root and Branch" petition of 1641. It called for the complete dismantling of the Anglican episcopal structure because it was wholly corrupt and exerted way too much influence in Parliament, especially the House of Lords. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison, though the church did imprison and/or torture their fair share of innocents and was another reason Cromwell and his faction made the bill.

While it was ultimately defeated, that sort of scorched earth approach is what is needed here.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

if we don't rip the whole system out by the roots and set it on fire, the police from the departments that get shut down will disperse into all the ones that are still there and the problem hasn't been solved or really even made less severe. the really absurdly over-the-top bad police organizations are a symptom of the problem, not the cause. the cause is the basic idea of police and more specifically the way we've implemented that idea

The cause is the basic idea of violence in this country and that certain people, "have it coming."

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    The cops can literally kill me and get away with it by claiming they feared for their lives. They can enter my home in the middle of night without uniforms or announcing themselves, shoot me dead, and the worst thing that will happen to them is some bad publicity. They might get charged with a crime as a result of this, but they'll more than likely get off and find a new job at another department no questions asked.

This kind of system cannot continue to exist if there is to be anything resembling justice in this country.

Hacksaw on
  • Options

The cause is the basic idea of violence in this country and that certain people, "have it coming."

we have a shitty relationship with violence, but that's way more broad an explanation for police than is necessary

police have always existed to protect capital, going all the way back to the antebellum posses who tracked down escaped slaves to drag them back to their owners. as long as that's the basis for police, they will never even be improved, let alone made good. there is no fixing what we already have to make it functional or conscionable, it's completely rotten from the ground up

• Options
    like there probably is a place in a healthy society for people whose job it is to mediate conflicts and if necessary to use force to defend people who need help, if their purpose and powers are extremely specifically defined and tightly controlled. not only are police not that, they've literally never been that. there's no last good state to roll back to, even if they weren't so manifestly shitty in practice, even in concept they can never be good

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    like there probably is a place in a healthy society for people whose job it is to mediate conflicts and if necessary to use force to defend people who need help, if their purpose and powers are extremely specifically defined and tightly controlled. not only are police not that, they've literally never been that. there's no last good state to roll back to, even if they weren't so manifestly shitty in practice, even in concept they can never be good

Even if you go full defund, there is a place for trained professionals who have guns and can shoot people. Why? Because that's what you need when some incel decides to bring an AR-15 to school.

What you don't need is fleets of roided-up high school bullies roaming around the community starting shit because they got bored or want to earn points at the next Neo-Nazi hangout. That wastes billions of tax dollars, makes criminals out of people who weren't harming anyone because the cops have a quota to meet, and generally makes life intolerable for entire communities who have to tell their children that they can be murdered at any time for no reason by people on the public payroll.

• Options
    My bro had three friends I knew of when I as a teen chaperoned his gradeschool fieldtrips.

1 caught in the school to prison pipeline, one died in gang life, the third killed over a parking space.

Then there's the later friend that killed a former classmate of mine years after killing.....well some of you Seattlites might know that victim.

Point is, lot more black men die tragic deaths unrelated to the police, and while reform (real, absolute, meaty reform, with claws and fangs, unneutered by politics) would prevent deaths, it would not stop people like dude that wacked a Seahawks player with a street sign from living the way he did that lead to his murder that night.

However, volent wicked cops buff all those other problems and causes of death, and inhibit efforts to combat them. Real reform (as defined above) would allow downstream benefits by actually allowing community traction against their problems.

I.E. helping a black man stop a fight at a gas station instead of shooting him while his hands were raised. Or helping a security guard stop a fight instead of shooting him.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    My bro had three friends I knew of when I as a teen chaperoned his gradeschool fieldtrips.

1 caught in the school to prison pipeline, one died in gang life, the third killed over a parking space.

Then there's the later friend that killed a former classmate of mine years after killing.....well some of you Seattlites might know that victim.

Point is, lot more black men die tragic deaths unrelated to the police, and while reform (real, absolute, meaty reform, with claws and fangs, unneutered by politics) would prevent deaths, it would not stop people like dude that wacked a Seahawks player with a street sign from living the way he did that lead to his murder that night.

However, volent wicked cops buff all those other problems and causes of death, and inhibit efforts to combat them. Real reform (as defined above) would allow downstream benefits by actually allowing community traction against their problems.

I.E. helping a black man stop a fight at a gas station instead of shooting him while his hands were raised. Or helping a security guard stop a fight instead of shooting him.

I grew up in a poor white rural community. Lots of needless death due to drugs and violence there, too. It's just that they didn't worry about cops murdering them for sport.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Police abolition isn't just saying get rid of the police though

Like absolutely, get rid of the police, but also now you've got money that you can use to support better school systems and rehab facilities and social support structures

All of which have the documented effect of reducing crime, and could potentially prevent the sort of deaths you're talking about

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    @DouglasDanger can you go and have a lie down instead of trying your level best to get these forums shut down?

• Options

i don't really understand what you're getting at. there are shitty ways to get unnecessarily killed or locked up that aren't directly related to police, yeah, but that isn't an argument against getting rid of police

• Options
    The FBI doesn't even bother calling or emailing Tube anymore. They just have an agent assigned to his office, standing behind him staring at his computer screen all day.

• Options
    Sorry

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I hear stories about people being murdered over a parking space and I think, “ we should fix the causes that lead to this as well!” We can stop the assassination and lynching of black men in the street at the hands of the state at the same time! Some of those causes could be helped along with funding from the bloated police budgets!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I hear stories about people being murdered over a parking space and I think, “ we should fix the causes that lead to this as well!” We can stop the assassination and lynching of black men in the street at the hands of the state at the same time! Some of those causes could be helped along with funding from the bloated police budgets!

True enough, but nothing about the last 12 years has convinced me that the American public has the attention span necessary for handling such unsexy topics

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Okay but George Zimmerman is still free and wealthy so what the fuck good will that do

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    That's Trayvon's mom and the street is in the neighborhood where he grew up, if she's happy about it I'm happy for her.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I guess it's not the least they could do, seeing as how they needed to get the sign made and all

But it's pretty close

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Do youse remember back in August (what is time?) I was posting about some trainees I took on?

Well, in a further demonstration of black excellence, one of my guys won the Prime Minister’s Vocational Excellence award. One of 500 across the whole country to do so. He is on the shortlist now for a further award and a chance to have lunch with Jacinda Ardern.

I was given the honour of awarding his prize to him in front of his school, family and friends.

A week and a half ago I took him to buy a pair of Jordans, with his own money. He told me that he couldn’t afford to own shoes until he was 12, and this was the first pair of shoes he’s owned from new.

Seeing this young man, in his brand new Jordans, stand in front of his whole community and take this award... there is hope, goddamnit

tpwrr7rr30tg.jpeg

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Do youse remember back in August (what is time?) I was posting about some trainees I took on?

Well, in a further demonstration of black excellence, one of my guys won the Prime Minister’s Vocational Excellence award. One of 500 across the whole country to do so. He is on the shortlist now for a further award and a chance to have lunch with Jacinda Ardern.

I was given the honour of awarding his prize to him in front of his school, family and friends.

A week and a half ago I took him to buy a pair of Jordans, with his own money. He told me that he couldn’t afford to own shoes until he was 12, and this was the first pair of shoes he’s owned from new.

Seeing this young man, in his brand new Jordans, stand in front of his whole community and take this award... there is hope, goddamnit

tpwrr7rr30tg.jpeg

This is cool as hell and I'm really glad you were able to teach this guy a trade

My dad did something similar with the brother of his barber; poor guy had just gotten out of jail and was really depressed about not being able to get a job

Now he runs his own flooring company with work crews, owns a house and a nice car, and is able to support his wife and kids after bringing his wife over from their homeland; it's also nice to know Dad's skills were passed on and are being put to good use

The trades helped my Dad get out of poverty and in general are an excellent stepping stone towards the middle class if you can find an apprenticeship to get the skills you need

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
This discussion has been closed.