As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Happy about End of Life, because the way I had to watch my Grandfather die wasn’t fit for an animal.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I feel like I must be living in a bubble, because my gut told me that the results would be the opposite. Most people I know are very anti EoL. Or I guess, a vocal minority?

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    my brain just can't comprehend those who are all good for EoL but not ok with marijuana. It's just such a strange thing to me that one goes but not the other. I figured it would be both or neither.

• Options
    Some people really hate the gangs. And see legal weed as helping the gangs.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I actually voted against end of life, but voted for it in Australia.

If am very much in favour of it but the legislation as written was not adequate, in my opinion

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Some people really hate the gangs. And see legal weed as helping the gangs.

Wait, how does anybody do that mental somersault? I mean, I know that people are dumb and all, but I can't see how that connection could be made.

I'm disappointed with the result, but not surprised. At least euthanasia passed.

• Options
    Congrats are in order for QLD. Nice work, team! Labor majority government by the looks of it

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I dunno.
    The Bluey Qld Election episode bummed me out about it.

• Options
    I don’t get it?

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    I dunno.
    The Bluey Qld Election episode bummed me out about it.

The animated blue heeler, or Lucky Grills?

I'm assuming the former, because the latter appears to be a villain in Queensland (fuck off, Clive).

• Options
    On a serious note...

"The primary vote for Pauline Hanson’s One Nation Party was on Saturday night down more than six per cent from the 2017 state election. “One Nation went from second to third in a number of seats,” ABC election analyst Antony Green said on Sunday morning."

This makes me incredibly happy.

• Options
    Tef wrote: »
    I don’t get it?

Bluey appears to be set in Queensland, so election morning ABC played the episode 'Circus' where the adults go and vote.
    Message of the episode seems to be we vote for the people with the most charisma who can get people to work together irrespective of actual policy and the worthiness of that.

So congrats Labour.
    But may we punt that reasoning into the sea.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    On a serious note...

"The primary vote for Pauline Hanson’s One Nation Party was on Saturday night down more than six per cent from the 2017 state election. “One Nation went from second to third in a number of seats,” ABC election analyst Antony Green said on Sunday morning."

Maybe people are finally realizing that aside from being incredibly racist, they don't actually do anything.

• Options
    On a serious note...

-Loki- wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    On a serious note...

Maybe people are finally realizing that aside from being incredibly racist, they don't actually do anything.

Hey, like discrider regarding voter patterns, I can wish the reasoning was better, but I'm still happy with the results.

• Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yes, I do like to see one nation losing votes. Also sounds like the greens have been doing alright lately too which is good.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    The Queensland result was pretty good, although I wish the Greens had more power. Qld Labor are all in on Adani, after all.

I am pleased to see voters reward the goverments who got us through covid, and not the opposition who pushed back against border closures, etc.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Actually, in all the discussion around the US election, I'd forgotten, but final certified results in NZ, including the Referendums will be published around 2 pm today. There will be some pretty significant changes possible in the results as current - several electorates, including both Auckland central for the Greens, and Waiariki for the Maori Party, and Whangārei for National are on very, very slim margins.

I can also hope for Cannabis Legalization, but that seems unlikely.

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I don’t get it?

Bluey appears to be set in Queensland, so election morning ABC played the episode 'Circus' where the adults go and vote.
    Message of the episode seems to be we vote for the people with the most charisma who can get people to work together irrespective of actual policy and the worthiness of that.

So congrats Labour.

Doesn't seem inaccurate though, I suspect that very few people other than our fellow nerds actually vote based on policy. The Tropico games (3 and 4 at least) seemed to model this pretty well; only the "Intellectual" faction actually gives a damn if you're objectively doing a good job, the rest only care about their pet issue (how is the economy doing, do you love Jesus enough, is our military sufficiently awesome) to the exclusion of everything else. Turns out its much easier to get the religious bloc on-side by building some churches than to deal with hard problems like wealth inequality, especially if your education system sucks and you hardly have any intellectuals in the first place. But anyway back to Tropico...

• Options
    One extra Māori party seat. An extra Labour seat. Cannabis vote closer but still a no.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Stoked the Māori party picked up a seat.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Doubly good because it means both of the co-leaders get to sit in Parliament. :)

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Also, my local National MP, who I was irritated won my electorate on the day, it turns out, didn't.

So both my Electoral vote and party vote were useful, and the cool MP who I met on the side of the road while heading to vote is now in parliament. Yay!

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    A Tory losing after they were SO SURE they'd won is just.... the best. Especially if they were gloating.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Man, I am disappointed with the cannabis referendum result. 48.4% in favour, margin of 67K. I think the pro groups did their best but at the end of the day the misinformation campaign from Family First et al worked was enough to tip the balance. I don't imagine we'll see another referendum any time soon.

NZ is a weird place. Relatively liberal in some regards but totally regressive in others.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I don’t get it?

So congrats Labour.

Doesn't seem inaccurate though, I suspect that very few people other than our fellow nerds actually vote based on policy. The Tropico games (3 and 4 at least) seemed to model this pretty well; only the "Intellectual" faction actually gives a damn if you're objectively doing a good job, the rest only care about their pet issue (how is the economy doing, do you love Jesus enough, is our military sufficiently awesome) to the exclusion of everything else. Turns out its much easier to get the religious bloc on-side by building some churches than to deal with hard problems like wealth inequality, especially if your education system sucks and you hardly have any intellectuals in the first place. But anyway back to Tropico...

:|
    Couldn't ever get enough approval in Tropico 3.
    Always stalled at like 60-70%

discrider on
  • Options
    I assume it’s a massive rigmarole to get a medicinal cannabis prescription?

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    From what I hear it's hard to get and prohibitively expensive.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    More concerned about the rampant corruption and cronyism tbh. Let’s hear him blow the whistle on that

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    Malcolm sure has a lot to say now that he has nothing left to lose. Fuck off Malcolm - you were Prime Minister. If all this shit was going on under your watch that you're 'willing to lift the lid on' why didn't you do something to stop it back then? While I'm as keen as anyone to see the Coalition get taken to task, sniping from the sidelines and trying to rebrand like this is just more weak behaviour from a fucking spineless tool.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Nah.
    Malcolm gets some slack for attempting to put together some sort of climate change policy and then being ousted from the Liberals because of it.
    That is most definitely attempting to do something whilst you had power to do it.

• Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    If you listen to Rudd and Turnbull talk about what it's like as PM, they don't have much power.
    It's down to their party and by extension in this country, Murdoch's opinions on you.

Video for reference;
    So, I am not surprised Turnbull out of power is less afraid. I'm surprised he's decided to take now as a good time to attack the government. Must be emboldened by Biden's victory? Who knows.

I know folks here are "Fuck that guy" to "So-so" on Jordies, but he does good work occasionally. It's just....God he's bad at interviewing. So awkward.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Jordies whole thing with China and the Urghur population was where I was completely done with fj, but his abelist/racist voices he uses were already more than enough for me.

And now:

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    Earlier this year he started punching down on unemployed people. I don’t understand why he hates the libs so much when he’s indistinguishable from all the worst young liberals I’ve ever met

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Ok. In an effort to better understand wtf people are talking about when that name comes up I just watched those two clips.

And I am now in an even deeper despair about the future of my country than before.
    Nechriah wrote: »
    ...indistinguishable from all the worst young liberals I’ve ever met
    Seems about right.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    So. As a South Australian, let me say: FUCK.

And I'm so mad because the way it got out is EXACTLY the same as Victoria. The casual workers at medi hotels need to work elsewhere to make a working wage, and because that job was MAKING PIZZAS, we are fucked.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    https://thedriven.io/2020/11/21/shameful-victoria-follows-south-australia-and-imposes-electric-car-road-tax/
    Victoria will impose the tax of 2.5c a kilometre for full electric vehicles, and 2 cents a kilometre for plug in hybrid vehicles. That translates to an annual tax of $500 for an electric car that travels 20,000kms a year, or an extra $400 a year tax for a plug in like the Mitsubishi Outlander. Victoria expects to raise around $30 million a year.

I fucking hate this country sometimes. Completely imbicilic, and all the more frustrating to come from Labor as feckless as they are.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Fucking why? Suck it up you idiots until electric cars are the standard. This ain't rocket science!

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
This discussion has been closed.