As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Seg wrote: »
    This will be my first 24 hour maintenance experience, I don't remember any of the other MMOs I have played doing it this way.

FFXIV is held together with spit and hope.

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Oh new tomestones, is this a convert tomestones patch? Looks like my NIN is 4 points shy of running Eden, would be handy!

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @Seg I'm not sure how much you care about the MSQ chain, but I found this to be very helpful.

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quests

End of Heavensward is about halfway down the page

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I looked over the notices for each of the major patches over the past couple expansions, 24 hours downtime for them is usually the norm.

4.0: 24 hours
    4.1: 6 hours
    4.2: 24 hours
    4.3: 22 hours (scheduled for 24, they got it done early)
    4.4: 24 hours
    4.5: 24 hours
    5.0: 24 hours
    5.1: 6 hours
    5.2: 5 hours
    5.3: 24 hours
    5.4: 24 hours

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    This will be my first 24 hour maintenance experience, I don't remember any of the other MMOs I have played doing it this way.

Oh I could tell you some stories about WoW's servers.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

Heh. 24hrs is pleasant compared to the first few months of ARR. I mean, I can't really blame them, after the absolute fiasco that was 1.0, the response to ARR was, by their own admission, far behind even their wildest hopes, and the servers and infrastructure they had simply couldn't handle it.

One of the only instances of a company being forced to literally stop sales of a game because people liked it too much. :lol:

But yeah, as has been pointed out, 24hrs is the norm for major patches. It's weird, because it's just a day, but because it always comes before content, it feels like a week. :rotate:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Didn't WoW have one day a week that was just for maintenance at the beginning?

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Yeah with the exception of expansions, usually the 24hours is a one and done which i would vastly prefer over multiple short ones because they missed something.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    I looked over the notices for each of the major patches over the past couple expansions, 24 hours downtime for them is usually the norm.

4.0: 24 hours
    4.1: 6 hours
    4.2: 24 hours
    4.3: 22 hours (scheduled for 24, they got it done early)
    4.4: 24 hours
    4.5: 24 hours
    5.0: 24 hours
    5.1: 6 hours
    5.2: 5 hours
    5.3: 24 hours
    5.4: 24 hours

What’s the track record of them needing to take the game down almost immediately for maintenance again after coming back online?

That’s where I could see a good benefit.

Especially in the early days, WoW was always promising X hour maintenance, and then it’d slip by some number of hours, no one could play once the servers were brought back online, and/or they’d have to take them back down for emergency maintenance throughout the week.

(My assumption is that these days Blizz has thrown enough money at the infrastructure so that they can do swap-in/swap-out style maintenance so a lot of the hot fixes go live like a website).

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Didn't WoW have one day a week that was just for maintenance at the beginning?

It was insanely erratic, with the weekly maintenance constantly being extended.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Everyone!

oh my god

230f6e0af3536f9a40654d783c8c2f1094131070_54.png
    230f6e0af3536f9a40654d783c8c2f1094131070_55.png

EDIT: This will be super helpful
    The "Search Recipes Using This Material" subcommand can be executed via the following windows:
    The item list of the Gathering Log window
    The materials list of the Crafting Log window
    The item list on the Market Board
    The item list in the Item Trade and Shop windows
    The lotting UI
    Items linked in the Chat window
    The Recipes List window

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    So when do I get to suplex a ghost train?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    One thing I really hope for in the future is some kind of 'where is this item obtained?' feature, that tells you the location/method a particular item is obtained.

Very often I find a someone else using a particular glamour item or something, and I want to know whether it's crafted, or drops off of a dungeon or from the game shop or something like that.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So when do I get to suplex a ghost train?

uhhhh...
    you should play through the Stormblood 8-man raid series (Omega) when you get the chance

• Options
    I just got my MNK job badge last night, so looking forward to that.

Probably need to start thinking about supplying payment information for the subscription so I can play during winter break.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    One thing I really hope for in the future is some kind of 'where is this item obtained?' feature, that tells you the location/method a particular item is obtained.

Very often I find a someone else using a particular glamour item or something, and I want to know whether it's crafted, or drops off of a dungeon or from the game shop or something like that.

Having that in game would be great, I agree.

https://www.garlandtools.org/ is the best resource for this, unless/until it would ever be something available in game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I know there are resources available, I've just been spoiled by WoW where stuff like datamining and an open api makes their resources for that much better

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I know there are resources available, I've just been spoiled by WoW where stuff like datamining and an open api makes their resources for that much better

Yeah, all good. I wasn't sure if you did know, and I included the link for others that might not.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I'm really really hoping the next expansion comes with a WoW/D3 style "transmog" system and dumps the glamour dresser limitations. It seems like it'd be a lot easier for overhead reasons that limit the dresser and glamour plates right now, and reduce generally the need for large storage options like the saddlebag and such, if players don't need to hold onto old armor anymore, if it just unlocks something on a list that they don't have to track as many variables for.

The fact that they're updating the fishing log and even the Triple Triad card list, with details of locations and ways to acquire things, gives me hope!

• Options

I'm really really hoping the next expansion comes with a WoW/D3 style "transmog" system and dumps the glamour dresser limitations. It seems like it'd be a lot easier for overhead reasons that limit the dresser and glamour plates right now, and reduce generally the need for large storage options like the saddlebag and such, if players don't need to hold onto old armor anymore, if it just unlocks something on a list that they don't have to track as many variables for.

The fact that they're updating the fishing log and even the Triple Triad card list, with details of locations and ways to acquire things, gives me hope!

Yeah despite its far superior options I actually go much less out of my way to pursue glamour-related activities in FF14 solely because I don't want the eventual inventory anxiety to go with it.

• Options
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    patch is downloadable

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Games up, queues are long.

New crafted gear is 510.

• Options
    Oh, there's also ilvl 500 white scrip gear now, all slots.

If you've already penta-melded a full set of the 490 crafted gear, it won't be as good as that, but it's probably close enough for most players! And at a fraction of the cost (i.e. none of the cost, just time).

I'll probably grab them for my retainers at least.

Retainers quick ventures are not very different as far as I can tell, just a lot more crafting ingredients mixed in with the loot pool. It's hard to say what was removed. Sometimes you can get a "venture coffer" instead of the usual gear/materials, that the one I got at least had dye in it, so at least those are in the pool for that thing.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Did Ishgard housing happen with this one? I took a few week break and stopped paying attention to stuff.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Ishgard housing is not announced for any part of the 5.4 series.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Housing seems like one of those cool/interesting parts of the game that new players are locked out of for the most part.

I understand the aesthetic of having the estate plots be limited in number/quantity, but the limitation on apartments is kind of silly.

Working on an FCs plot isn’t the same as having your own space to manage and maintain.

• Options
    Housing seems like one of those cool/interesting parts of the game that new players are locked out of for the most part.

I understand the aesthetic of having the estate plots be limited in number/quantity, but the limitation on apartments is kind of silly.

Working on an FCs plot isn’t the same as having your own space to manage and maintain.

It's not aesthetic, it's overhead. Beyond having housing zones be designed with obvious limitations, it requires hardware to increase the amounts of plots, or at least more optimized code and possibly tradeoffs elsewhere. I imagine there's a hefty cost/benefit thing to it too. Even if more players on a server want houses, than there are houses available, the amount of players who want, or even use, housing, is still a small segment of the playerbase, so any costs of expanding capacity has to be countered by the potential income from the players for whom housing is a determining factor in whether or not they keep a sub, buy expansions, or use the mogstation. I dunno, from what I can tell, it seems like if it were up to the dev team, they'd love to let anyone who wanted a house have one, but it's not a simple thing. I don't believe they're intentionally limiting them for supply/demand reasons; virtually nothing in this MMO is designed around such factors, so I don't see any reason that housing would be the thing. It's an unusually friendly MMO in that regard, where the amount of things that are actually limited are a tiny tiny fraction of the games content.

You can get an apartment outside of a FC house, but afaik it is identical to the FC one, you just enter via the main building in a housing zone. It doesn't really address the problem with housing limitation, but it's an option for players who aren't in a FC and still want something. You can get to a stable, but no gardening or anything like that.

I wish the outdoor furnishing limits weren't so absurdly low. 20 for a cottage barely lets you decorate the relatively small yard. How much larger the yards are in medium/large plots makes the increase to only 30/40 seem really silly. I get that there's memory limitations particularly in the outdoor areas, but it still feels exceptionally low.

I'm currently debating saving up to buy a medium or large plot whenever Ishgard goes live. Even if I can't manage to get an Ishgard plot, there's bound to be decent plots that open up in other zones when people relocate.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    6tzmy546p8wn.png

First attempt at pentamelding, lost less than 20 materia doing this. Feels pretty good!

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I personally feel that they should have included a gil upkeep cost for housing alongside the attendance timer. It would have solved a few issues, I think.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Its a good thing there was only ever 1 person named Owen in the entire history of Allag.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Its a good thing there was only ever 1 person named Owen in the entire history of Allag.

To be fair, given that other Allagan names we know are things like Xande and Unei, Owen was probably pretty unique at the time.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    5.4 MSQ
    G'raha: "Wait, Alphy, you're too recognizable! I'll act as the merchant in your place."
    Me: "I mean, fair, but hopefully he can hide how much of a cinnamon bun he i--oh my god, he's so bad at this."

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    edited December 2020

It's not aesthetic, it's overhead. Beyond having housing zones be designed with obvious limitations, it requires hardware to increase the amounts of plots, or at least more optimized code and possibly tradeoffs elsewhere.

(snip)

That's the point I was trying to make. The developers want the neighborhood aesthetic for the estate plots, where un-partied/un-raided players can exist and interact in the same space. This drove the limited number/quantity because the technology decisions were more inline with a classic zone implementation which is much more hardware intensive. There must be 100% availability because the experience needs to be seamless.

The apartments are different, however, in that, aside from the entry/exit points, the actual spaces themselves don't need to be accessible to anyone but the player + some invite/permission list mechanism. This allows for more efficient usage of hardware based on an instance/phasing model.

Limit apartments based on accounts instead of being based on 90-per-neighborhood-zone, like SWTOR does strongholds, so a player can own at most X apartments per account, with the expectation that the actual hardware demand would be at most (1 apartment instance per active account * <apartment utilization metric>).
    I personally feel that they should have included a gil upkeep cost for housing alongside the attendance timer. It would have solved a few issues, I think.

Having some upkeep would be good, but too much could end up being punitive towards casual players that might not raid every week, but still enjoy having a fancy housing simulator in the FF universe.

e: (Apologies for the overly nerdy take on housing, it's such a compelling and interesting feature to me, that the limitation on availability is kind of a bummer/downer)

thatassemblyguy on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So it looks like starlight celebration announcement is up.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2020/The_Starlight_Celebration/uho06l3k9d

I'm new to events in FFXIV, and coming from WoW, it sounds kind of...lacking? Maybe I'm not understanding, but is that like 1 quest and 4 items (3 of which I don't think I can even use for awhile, with no player housing) or am I missing something? Are these just items new to this year? Does past starlight celebration stuff come back?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Not really, it eventually gets put up for sale in the mogstation. And yeah, seasonal events in FFXIV are usually much smaller affairs than in some other MMOs

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Not really, it eventually gets put up for sale in the mogstation. And yeah, seasonal events in FFXIV are usually much smaller affairs than in some other MMOs

They do like to hide other things in them though. The Easter(?) event this year had several NPCs showing up based on story progress. Except they're all in costume so you had to figure it out from dialogue. Not a quest in any way, just details.

The majority of rewards for seasonal events take little time to get. The only times events have had any real grind involved have been crossover events (Garo, Yo-Kai Watch).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    What the activities within the seasonal event are comprised of also tends to change from year to year.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Weapon quest line
    Yoshi-P:"Ok, how fucked up can we keep making this story?"
    Writers: "Yes."

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Weapon quest line
    Yoshi-P:"Ok, how fucked up can we keep making this story?"
    Writers: "Yes."

More weapon quest line
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYX_zhlTDr8
    Someone in discord posted this in relation to that questline, and now I can't unsee it.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
This discussion has been closed.