As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: Ow My Balls Edition

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    David Plowie

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    License to Chill is the clear winner. Not only does it have a double reference to ice, it also has a reference to the traditionally-Scottish character James Bond.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    License to Chill is the clear winner. Not only does it have a double reference to ice, it also has a reference to the traditionally-Scottish character James Bond.

I'm partial to For Your Ice Only, but that's purely because it has the far better theme song.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    BAD NEWS: A local Peoria artist is hoodwinked into creating a delightful mural that the owner of the building promptly whitewashed

GOOD NEWS: Artist received both payment and exposure

Impersonating a Property Owner, a Man Paid an Artist to Paint a Cookie Monster Mural in Peoria. The Town—and the Internet—Have Questions

cookie-monster.jpg
    Cookie Monster, that familiar blue Muppet of Sesame Street fame, holds aloft the beloved eponymous baked good, which shoots forth a rainbow beam. Below, the text reads, “мир, земля, печенье” (“Peace, Land, and Cookies” in Russian).

“It was a bit of a weird image, but some of my paintings are kind of weird so maybe that’s how I captured his eye,” Hawkins says. He figured maybe “Comte” was getting ready to open a bakery in the building, for which the mural would be an advertisement.

The fake landlord met Hawkins in person the day after Thanksgiving, supplying the paint and half the promised fee. They met again a couple of days later for lunch, when the job was mostly done. Hawkins showed him photographs. The patron seemed happy. He sent Hawkins the rest of the (sorry) dough.

But when Hawkins invited him down to see the final result, his client didn’t answer the phone. Hawkins called again. No answer. Hawkins emailed. Again, no answer. “And that’s the last I’ve heard from him,” he says.

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So Last Week Tonight is absolutely going to get that artist to paint a mocking mural across the street right?

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    A US Marine had plans to smuggle weapons into Haiti to initiate a coup that would make him "president."

Of course, when he slapped a policeman across the face after a customs official dared to ask for a declarations form to be filled out for all those highly suspicious unmarked long dark suitcases the whole scheme fell apart. He was just found guilty of federal weapons smuggling despite his brilliant defense of "I shat myself on purpose!"

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    With the announcement that Harrison Ford will be hanging up the fedora after the next film, archeology Twitter is celebrating in appropriate fashion:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I'm surprised nothing like this has come up yet.

"Why the Holy grail is not the Holy grail of archeology- Practical field excavation techniques and the analysis of artefacts of cultural significance."

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    A Summary of Warehouse and Inventory Management Systems: How to build and maintain a collection of magical artifacts safety.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    A US Marine had plans to smuggle weapons into Haiti to initiate a coup that would make him "president."

Of course, when he slapped a policeman across the face after a customs official dared to ask for a declarations form to be filled out for all those highly suspicious unmarked long dark suitcases the whole scheme fell apart. He was just found guilty of federal weapons smuggling despite his brilliant defense of "I shat myself on purpose!"

His plan was to take over Haiti with two rifles and five handguns?

That's, um, an interesting plan.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular

He'd have gotten away with it, if it weren't for those meddling kids police

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2020

Supposedly, he was going there to train their military in the use of this weaponry (why such normal weaponry, does he think the Haitian military is still using spears and bows?) so that they can fight against the thugs he feels are ruining the country. In doing so, and by becoming a citizen, he hopes to draw the admiration of the populace so they would vote for him to be president.

Not as catchy as saying he wished to pull a coup, but more accurate and a lot more crazy actually. This guy had PLANS, but also didn’t think it through enough.
    Edit: And I stupidly made assumptions since this sounded very much like a Florida man story. I apologize for that.

Where did you all find the story on his Background?

Nitsua on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »

Supposedly, he was going there to train their military in the use of this weaponry (why such normal weaponry, does he think the Haitian military is still using spears and bows?) so that they can fight against the thugs he feels are ruining the country. In doing so, and by becoming a citizen, he hopes to draw the admiration of the populace so they would vote for him to be president.

Not as catchy as saying he wished to pull a coup, but more accurate and a lot more crazy actually. This guy had PLANS, but also didn’t think it through enough. White savior mentality gone way way too far... though any usage of it is too far.

I'm just trying to imagine the look on his face when he realized "Wait... they already have guns? Well, shit."

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Er, not 'white savior' I'd think, given that he's not white and is from Haiti originally.

• Options
    In short, racism is a hell of a drug.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    A clinical study in ranged weapons vs melee weapons in Peru

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    That man has been playing too much FarCry.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Where was the racism in this story?

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »

You have a Marine traveling to a majority black nation with several guns thinking that he's going to be able to waltz in and become a folk hero and that will lead him to becoming the head of state. You don't get to that line of thinking without a lot of horrendously racist priors.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

You have a Marine traveling to a majority black nation with several guns thinking that he's going to be able to waltz in and become a folk hero and that will lead him to becoming the head of state. You don't get to that line of thinking without a lot of horrendously racist priors.

...the guy was born in Haiti and became a US citizen later, joined the Marines, then went back to Haiti. He's still a Haitian citizen as well.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

...the guy was born in Haiti and became a US citizen later, joined the Marines, then went back to Haiti. He's still a Haitian citizen as well.

Yeah there is a lot to unpack but it definitely doesn't sound like a white savior / last samurai wannabe situation.

• Options

He was born in Haiti and lived there at various times. He was living there when the earthquake struck in 2010, and moved (back) to the US to enlist in the Marines afterward. So far as I can tell, he is a Haitian citizen.

This is a picture of him: 9m8uab10keqd.jpg

So, again, where was the racism in this story? Or are you making some really bad assumptions?

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    We were assuming that he wasn't from Haiti and was probably racist because that was the only way that what he did could possibly make any sort of sense.

• Options

He was born in Haiti and lived there at various times. He was living there when the earthquake struck in 2010, and moved (back) to the US to enlist in the Marines afterward. So far as I can tell, he is a Haitian citizen.

So, again, where was the racism in this story? Or are you making some really bad assumptions?

Yes, because it's impossible for people of color to be impacted by and internalize structural racism.

Read the story and his prior assumptions driving his actions - they were built on some rather racist assumptions (ones that were likely reinforced by his time in the US, thanks to how countries like Haiti get depicted here.) That's what makes structural racism so insidious - it works on how you view the world, which is why you see it get picked up by everyone in society, including the very people it targets.

So let me flip that question of yours around - how is a Marine of Haitian origin traveling back to Haiti with some handguns with the intent of fomenting a coup by "training" Haitian military personnel in their use not built off of structural racism that has impacted how the nation is viewed in the US?

• Options

Yes, because it's impossible for people of color to be impacted by and internalize structural racism.

Read the story and his prior assumptions driving his actions - they were built on some rather racist assumptions (ones that were likely reinforced by his time in the US, thanks to how countries like Haiti get depicted here.) That's what makes structural racism so insidious - it works on how you view the world, which is why you see it get picked up by everyone in society, including the very people it targets.

So let me flip that question of yours around - how is a Marine of Haitian origin traveling back to Haiti with some handguns with the intent of fomenting a coup by "training" Haitian military personnel in their use not built off of structural racism that has impacted how the nation is viewed in the US?

You're still making assumptions. While structural racism affecting his beliefs could play a role in things, it is not at all the only or even most likely explanation. It's also more difficult to accept as an explanation for the behavior of the residents of Haiti that he was working with.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    I apologize myself, for some reason his crazy notions sounded like he thought he could save them. That’s on me since I only read the story linked and not anything else. I didn’t see any pictures and it certainly didn’t say any origins. So it sounded to me like a guy who thought Haiti was some backwoods place. Makes me wonder even more though he thought the weapons he had would even matter to their military.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Stuff like this just makes me think we desperately need a rehab and reintegration program for violent, deluded men once the military is done with them.

Obviously the majority of our men and women in uniform are neither violent nor deluded, but it sure does seem like a moth/flame situation. See also: domestic abuse rates.

• Options
    In the battle against wasps, China has escalated matters:
    A drone has been converted into a flying flamethrower in central China in a fiery campaign to eradicate more than 100 wasp nests.

Blue Sky Rescue, a volunteer group that conducts search and rescue and other emergency work, have teamed up with villagers in Zhong county near the city of Chongqing.

They raised 80,000 yuan ($12,200) to buy a drone and equip it with a gasoline tank and an arm-length nozzle.

Videos released by Blue Sky show a recent mission by the six-arm drone. It hovers above a hive as large as a suitcase before swooping down. The drone operator flips the ignition switch, and the drone spits bursts of fire onto the hive.

• Options
    That's going to end with a major forest fire at some point, isn't it?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    That's going to end with a major forest fire at some point, isn't it?

No wasps, though!

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    A drone has been converted into a flying flamethrower in central China in a fiery campaign to eradicate more than 100 wasp nests.

Blue Sky Rescue, a volunteer group that conducts search and rescue and other emergency work, have teamed up with villagers in Zhong county near the city of Chongqing.

They raised 80,000 yuan ($12,200) to buy a drone and equip it with a gasoline tank and an arm-length nozzle.

Videos released by Blue Sky show a recent mission by the six-arm drone. It hovers above a hive as large as a suitcase before swooping down. The drone operator flips the ignition switch, and the drone spits bursts of fire onto the hive.

The hell kind of wasps do they have in China?

• Options
    Calica wrote: »

Spoilers for scary murder wasp.
    GettyImages_156720700.jpg

• Options
    I thought that was the murder hornet?

• Options
    edited December 2020
    China actually has at least two scary murderwasps.

There is the "murder hornet", the Asian giant hornet (Vespa mandarinia) and there is the Asian hornet (Vespa velutina). Both are "scary murder wasps".

P.S: Vespa velutina is slightly smaller. Spoiler for murder wasp
    pexels-photo-731123.jpeg
    Notice the yellow legs

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    My bad it gave me that pic for wasp, but ya between the two I'm surprised it took so long to fill the skies with fire

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

Hellwasps seems about right

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Dear god yes
    ng2j76g7pdba.jpeg

Burn that shit gahhhh

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

That pic seems shopped. Either that or the person has a very large thumb.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options

That pic seems shopped. Either that or the person has a very large thumb.

Macrophotography and the way it distorts perspective will enchance the foreshortening effect, so things that are closer to the camera will appear even bigger than they would otherwise.

This discussion has been closed.