As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D Discussion] 5th Edition HD Remaster Coming in 2024, Entering the Disney Vault in 2025

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    It's a cooperative game, not a competitive game. There should be a good balance in all encounters, both combat and non-combat, where different players can shine with different abilities and aspects of their character.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    And all that said, if the players don't enjoy that sort of thing then yeah, maybe keeping it out is the right choice. Different groups like different things.

• Options
    Or, just mix up the encounters a bit.

I remember a group where at low levels the Barbarian would steam roll some encounters. The turning point in the adventure was around level 3 or 4 where we fought a hellhound or something like it.

"Ok, you take 3 hits for a total of 24...*player interruption aschtually 12 because I'm raging*...FIRE damage."

So yeah, once we started running into enemies that could overcome his ace, his shit calmed down real fast. And not every single encounter was rubbing it in his face, but realizing that there was indeed counters to abilities was a watershed moment for him (and the group)

It's also why I read, but don't take as gospel, a lot of guides on optimizing D&D characters. In theory, these one or two character tricks work to maximize damage. If this was a video game, it'd be all roses. But in practice, it rarely comes together.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I usually have balanced encounters with a fair number of (to steal from 4e) varied roles from enemies, but at least once every other month I really like to make a particular player's skillset shine in an encounter

it can be as simple as an ancient mezroan door that won't open without a 30 athletics check that would literally be impossible without the bard there to inspire the barbarian that makes 2 players feel like Monstahs

override367 on
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Or, just mix up the encounters a bit.

I remember a group where at low levels the Barbarian would steam roll some encounters. The turning point in the adventure was around level 3 or 4 where we fought a hellhound or something like it.

"Ok, you take 3 hits for a total of 24...*player interruption aschtually 12 because I'm raging*...FIRE damage."

So yeah, once we started running into enemies that could overcome his ace, his shit calmed down real fast. And not every single encounter was rubbing it in his face, but realizing that there was indeed counters to abilities was a watershed moment for him (and the group)

It's also why I read, but don't take as gospel, a lot of guides on optimizing D&D characters. In theory, these one or two character tricks work to maximize damage. If this was a video game, it'd be all roses. But in practice, it rarely comes together.

If only he'd taken Path of the Totem Warrior at level 3.

• Options
    I usually have balanced encounters with a fair number of (to steal from 4e) varied roles from enemies, but at least once every other month I really like to make a particular player's skillset shine in an encounter

it can be as simple as an ancient mezroan door that won't open without a 30 athletics check that would literally be impossible without the bard there to inspire the barbarian that makes 2 players feel like Monstahs

Reminds me of a group a long time ago in college where the cleric was complaining that his channel divinity was boring and he never used it. Enter the dungeon the following week.

The get into a room with a large square tiles laid out and a door on the other side. On the walls are carved reliefs of various holy warriors, many holding up their holy symbols to channel energy against various threats. They try to cross the room and immediately need to make a dexterity check as the first floor tile crumbles and falls into a "bottomless" pit.

After lots of back and forth, including examining the walls and the carvings, and a few more hints...they decide to fill a backpack with rocks and tie a rope to it. They then proceed to throw the backpack on the floor tiles until they find the path.

My intention was for the cleric to use his channel divinity power to light the safe path through the room.

So yeah, best intentions of the DM to help a player shine...overshadowed by a backpack full of rocks.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I'm looking through the classic Night Below adventure for inspiration for my own Underdark campaign. Maybe I and the other DMs I know have been skimping out on players in our campaigns, but it seems like there's an absurd amount of treasure in the Underdark. The grell patriarch alone has a treasure hoard containing 1100 sp, 8200 gp, 2540 pp, gems and jewelry worth a total of 18,000 gp, a potion of greater healing, a potion of water breathing, a fine platinum scrollcase worth 500 gp. That's not including several scrolls. Earlier in the adventure there's a casket filled with 35,000 gp worth of gems.

I'm assuming part of the challenge is supposed to be in carting all that loot, but I doubt most games bother with encumbrance.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I'm looking through the classic Night Below adventure for inspiration for my own Underdark campaign. Maybe I and the other DMs I know have been skimping out on players in our campaigns, but it seems like there's an absurd amount of treasure in the Underdark. The grell patriarch alone has a treasure hoard containing 1100 sp, 8200 gp, 2540 pp, gems and jewelry worth a total of 18,000 gp, a potion of greater healing, a potion of water breathing, a fine platinum scrollcase worth 500 gp. That's not including several scrolls. Earlier in the adventure there's a casket filled with 35,000 gp worth of gems.

I'm assuming part of the challenge is supposed to be in carting all that loot, but I doubt most games bother with encumbrance.

Wasn't GP=XP back then as well?

• Options
    edited December 2020
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Wasn't GP=XP back then as well?

Oh yeah, I think so. Didn't consider that. Still, I've looked through other older adventures and never noticed this much loot getting thrown around. For example, past the grell treasure hoard is a chamber with 4500 gp, 2100 pp, and 4400 gp worth of gems, plus some magic items and potions.

EDIT: Even some friggin' quaggoths are carrying over 20,000 gp in loot.

EDIT 2: A few hook horrors and a rakshasa later, the party gains 5000 sp, 8000 gp, 3000 pp, and various art objects worth 22,000 gp.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Yeah. Classic D&D. Load the party up with some much treasure their eyes almost roll out of their head.

Then kill them.

Iconic!

• Options
    Today I learned roper stomachs often contain platinum pieces and gemstones.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    So here's an idea I've just come up with. I've already established in my campaign that there exists a substance called living rock, which is a kind of soft rock that has the capability to magically grow at varying rates. I'm considering the possibility of having the cantrip Mold Earth work similarly to Stone Shape when used on living rock, albeit that it takes one minute to function instead of one action (Stone Shape itself works as normal). The deep gnomes use Mold Earth on living rock to inter their dead in the magical stone.

Now I'm imagining special substances that could let Shape Water or Control Flames have additional uses.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Okay, now I'm getting to the good shit in Night Below.

One section of caverns is described as being composed of glassrock, a magical green stone with swirls of red and white. The glassrock radiates an antipathy effect against gnomes (noted in the text as being specifically created by beings that wanted to keep deep gnome miners away from gem rich areas). The glassrock formations look unnatural, with fluted pillars being common, and one such pillar has what appears to be an elf of some kind embedded just beneath the stone (no explanation is given, and nothing is stated about what might happen if a party tries to break through the stone). In one large chamber the red and white swirls rise from the green stone to form a maze of 15-foot high walls. In the center of this maze is a crude approximation of a tree made from stone that forms bloodstone gems like fruit. Xorns frequent the "tree" to pick its fruit.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Going back to the animating performance...Talking to my other DM friends we probably would allow it, though with the grappled rules as far as reduced speed. One thing my friend brought up though, animating an enemy is fun, but animating your own breastplate is even more fun, now you have a fly speed. Or animate a table and hop on it.

Edit: Build a green goblin style character based on flying around on a customized shield that you animate and zoom around on.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    The campaign boss is the arch-wizard Tenser, furious that you've upstaged the one spell of his that people remember

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    The campaign boss is the arch-wizard Tenser, furious that you've upstaged the one spell of his that people remember

http://dnd5ed.wikidot.com/spell:tensers-transformation

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »

Oh, I forgot about that one.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Going back to the animating performance...Talking to my other DM friends we probably would allow it, though with the grappled rules as far as reduced speed. One thing my friend brought up though, animating an enemy is fun, but animating your own breastplate is even more fun, now you have a fly speed. Or animate a table and hop on it.

Edit: Build a green goblin style character based on flying around on a customized shield that you animate and zoom around on.

The dancing item stat block doesn't have a fly speed

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

No I meant that's what he's gonna use. Cuz chances are your party forgot that one too, so they're expecting a wizard fight, not fucking Swollicus Maximus.

He casts sleep with somantic components is what I'm saying

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »

It totally does, even has hover.

qa3uu9muqx82.png

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    So the last session of my game happened to end on a cliffhanger with the party presumably about to begin a battle in a narrow, heavily guarded entrance. In the time between the last session and tomorrow's I've figured out how to make things more challenging.

First, the primary enemy the party thinks they are seeing is an illusion created by Major Image. Ideally the casters will waste spell slots attacking this decoy. Second, a spell glyph above the party can be triggered via a passphrase after the party has recognized the illusion to cast Silence on the area, encouraging the casters to move towards the enemy (the way back is blocked by a portcullis).

The party does have three unconscious captives with them that they could conceivably use as hostages, though three of the four PCs are supposedly Good, so I'll see how that goes.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Though if it’s carrying you 15 ft speed means it cannot attack if if you want normal movement. Which makes it reasonably balanced (for a non concentration fly)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    So I've decided to add an Abyssal trade good to my campaign, one that was detailed in an "Eyes on the Realms" article in late 4E.
    Moonhoney: The substance with the unlikely name of moonhoney is actually the dung of ground worms that dwell on many Abyssal layers (and which are eaten by many demons). It is a smoky-tasting, nourishing, even rib-sticking treat to humans, halflings, dwarves, elves, and half-elves. Its name comes from its consistency and appearance (both of which are rather like the honey produced by wild bees), and the fact that when bathed in moonlight, it momentarily acquires a rough, fleeting sweetness. Moonhoney doesn’t spoil unless it is scorched in open flame or soaked in citrus juices, and so it is an ideal trail food for wayfarers of all kinds, who can readily carve it into handy chunks. It is prized for its property of neutralizing almost all known poisons active within those who eat it.

In my game it's going to grant the same effect as Protection from Poison when eaten. The local magic item dealer is going to advertise its limited stock heavily, all the while lying through the teeth to obfuscate what produces it, what it is, and where it comes from.

Each portion is going to cost 1500 gp.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Narbus wrote: »

It totally does, even has hover.

qa3uu9muqx82.png

Oh hey, what do you know. The stuff I read online said it didn't. Well neat, then.

Narbus on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    We're not using grapple for moving a willing target if it can be able to bear their weight normally, since the feature can be used to say, animate a carriage that can carry multiple people

and yeah I am almost certainly going to use it to fly around instead of animating an enemy's pantaloons, but doing so deprives me of using it to deal 1d10+3 damage a round PLUS lowering enemy movement speed (it has an aura that reduces hostile creature movement speed)

override367 on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I just received back a few books I had sold to a friend who conveniently forgot to pay for them as promised. So I was able to convince him to give 8 of the 36 back.

When trying to use older material from 2nd ed, 3rd ed and 3.5 ed for 5th ed, should I just make sure to change out the monster stats? Is there anything else I should be paying attention to?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    2nd ed won't have any skill tests or difficulties in the normal way. There might be an open doors (which is to kick down a door DC15-20ish) and bend bars/lift gates (which is superhuman strength - DC25-30ish type stuff) and secret doors are found by rolling a 1 or 2 on a D10 from what I remember (some races get a bonus to this).

• Options
    edited December 2020
    The party did not establish diplomatic relations with the deep gnomes today. I'm a little bit disappointed how easily they took out the deep gnome stone sorcerer. I really thought he'd give the party a harder time.

They also fought both a vampire spawn and a stone golem after a short rest. I think everyone but the sorcerer got downed and had to be saved with healing potions at least twice.

EDIT: I'm thinking about bringing back the deep gnome sorcerer they killed sometime later, saying he was revived by a cauldron of rebirth. Part of me is afraid the players might be annoyed and feel their victory didn't count. However, since the character also made heavy use of some special magic gauntlets that the party sorcerer has now taken for himself, I could have him try to take back his gauntlets and try a different combat strategy in the process.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm playing a Rogue(Inquisitive) in a game I'm in online, and while I'm enjoying the sneak attack and skill bot roles, it feels a bit dull in combat. Been thinking about multiclassing in some druid (because I got the idea of a sneak attacking bear who uses the mobile feat to escape any opportunity attacks and it made me giggle a little).
    So, looking for input, does Rogue/Druid synergize reasonably? Not looking for super min/max here, but I don't want to gimp myself up too badly either. Is there a particular druid circle synergizes better or worse? I've got a 14 in Wisdom, so I'm not completely dump stated on that front.

Current Character Sheet:
    https://www.dndbeyond.com/profile/SierraEcho/characters/37609114

We're doing Rime of the Frost Maiden, and just started in on Chapter 2.

Also, my party decided not to fight the dragon wyrmlings, instead opting to pay them off. Fortunately I was hidden well enough the dragons didn't know I was there and didn't have to pay.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    If you're going Druid for the primary goal of using wild shape you want to get to at least Druid 2 to get Circle of the Moon. That will allow you to wild shape into creatures of a max of CR1 and use your bonus action instead of your action to do it.

You'll get 2 uses of it per short rest which means you can have another 34*2 effective HP if you use Brown Bear.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Land Circles all give extra spells (Coastal has Misty Step which can be useful for a Rogue) + regain some spells on short rests.
    Circle of Moon gives you better shapeshifting
    Circle of Spores gives you some fun options that allow you to do more damage with your weapons, give you temp HP and damage opponents as a reaction if they get too close to you (but it's dependent on a CON save).

I think the other subclasses rely too much on using their bonus actions to synergize well with a Rogue, but I must admit I haven't put too much time into it.

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Statblock for a loose conversion of the 4E Fomorian Painbringer (I wanna use the mini).
    Fomorian Painbringer
    Huge giant, chaotic evil

Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
    Hit Points 276 (24d12+120)
    Speed 30 ft.

STR +6 DEX +0 CON +5 INT -1 WIS +2 CHA -2

Skills Perception +8, Stealth +5
    Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 18
    Languages Giant, Undercommon
    Challenge 16

Innate Spellcasting. The fomorian's spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 15).
    3/day: symbol (pain only)
    Magic Resistance. The fomorian has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Actions
    Multiattack. The fomorian attacks three times with its flail and can use evil eye once.
    Flail. +11. Reach 20 ft. 3d10+6 bludgeoning damage. 
    Evil Eye. The fomorian magically forces a creature it can see within 60 feet of it to make a DC 18 Charisma saving throw. The creature takes 8d8 psychic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. In addition, the target is frightened of the fomorian and takes 2d12 damage at the start of each turn. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns to end the effect. The saving throw has disadvantage if the target can see the fomorian.
    Curse of the Evil Eye (Recharge 6). With a stare, the fomorian uses Evil Eye, but on a failed save, the creature is also cursed with magical deformities. While deformed, the creature has its speed halved and has disadvantage on ability checks, saving throws, and attacks based on Strength or Dexterity. The transformation persists until Remove Curse or similar magic is used on the creature.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    my favorite kind of druid is 2 rogue for expertise in athletics so the druid can turn into a bear and drag enemies up a tree, never to be seen again, or later turn into a whale, grapple someone, and bonus action dash with them into the depths

override367 on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Some environmental features for use in D&D 5E, several of which are loosely-based on 4E environmental features:
    Acidic Mire. When a creature enters the area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, that creature must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. The creature takes 4d6 acid damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. 
    Blinkrock. Creatures within 10 feet of blinkrock must make a DC 15 Charisma saving throw or gain the effect of the Blink spell for 1 minute or until the effect is dispelled.
    Blood Rock. Creatures standing on blood rock score a critical hit on a roll of 19-20.
    Deathgrasp Sarcophagus. A humanoid creature that is reduced to 0 hit points while within 60 feet of the sarcophagus is teleported inside of it. Whenever the creature inside fails a death save, all undead within 60 feet gain 10 temporary hit points and have advantage on saving throws until the start of the creature's next turn.
    Doomlight Crystal. Dim, greenish light spreads within a 30-foot-radius sphere. The light spreads around corners. When a creature moves into the spell’s area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, that creature must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or take 4d10 radiant damage, and it suffers one level of exhaustion and emits a dim, greenish light in a 5-foot radius. This light makes it impossible for the creature to benefit from being invisible.
    Earthflow Tunnel. When a spell of 5th-level or higher is cast within an earthflow tunnel the rock is affected as if by a Transmute Rock spell. Mud falls from the ceiling, and any creature under the mud when it falls must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 4d8 bludgeoning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The ground becomes muddy enough that creatures can sink into it. Each foot that a creature moves through the mud costs 4 feet of movement, and any creature on the ground when the earthflow is triggered must make a DC 15 Strength saving throw. A creature must also make this save the first time it enters the area on a turn or ends its turn there. On a failed save, a creature sinks into the mud and is restrained, though it can use an action to end the restrained condition on itself by pulling itself free of the mud. After six seconds, the mud transforms back into soft rock. Any creature in the mud when it transforms must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, a creature becomes restrained by the rock. The restrained creature can use an action to try to break free by succeeding on a DC 20 Strength check as an action or by dealing 25 damage to the rock around it. On a successful save, a creature is shunted safely to the surface to an unoccupied space.
    Earthen Maw. A toothy mouth made from stone emerges from the ground below a creature. The target must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the target takes 2d6 piercing damage and is restrained. At the start of each of the target's turns it takes 2d6 piercing damage. To break out, the restrained target can make a DC 15 Strength check as an action. On a success, the target escapes and is no longer restrained.
    Ember Moss. A creature standing in a square of ember moss takes an additional 1d8 fire damage from an effect that deals fire damage.
    Ghost Tunnel. 5-foot wide, 8-foot tall, 20-foot deep tunnel that has a chance of rapidly sealing whenever creatures enter. Roll a d20 at the start of each round. On a result of 1, the tunnel disappears. Any creatures or objects still in the passage are safely ejected to an unoccupied space nearest to the opening they are closest to. The Mold Earth cantrip can be used while within or adjacent to the opening of a ghost tunnel to cause its next roll to be made with Advantage or Disadvantage.
    Loadstone. A creature that starts its turn within 30 feet must make a DC 15 Strength saving throw. On a failed save, it takes 2d10 force damage, and its speed is reduced to 0 until the start of its next turn. On a successful save, it takes half as much damage, and every foot it moves this turn costs 2 extra feet of movement.
    Phase Mist. Creatures within phase mist gain resistance to all damage.
    Rage Rock. Any humanoid that makes a weapon attack in a cavern of rage rock must succeed on a DC 18 Wisdom saving throw or be cursed with blood lust. While cursed in this way, the creature is hostile toward all other creatures it can see and must use its action each turn to attack the creature closest to it. (If multiple targets are equally close, the target is determined randomly.) Greater restoration, remove curse, or similar magic ends the blood lust on a creature. A creature that succeeds on its saving throw against this effect is immune to it for the next 24 hours.
    Shadow Blot. Magical darkness fills a 20—foot—radius sphere. The darkness spreads around corners. A creature with darkvision can’t see through this darkness. Nonmagical light, as well as light created by spells of 5th level or lower, can't illuminate the area. Whenever a creature starts its turn in the sphere, it must make a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw, taking 4d8 necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

No I meant that's what he's gonna use. Cuz chances are your party forgot that one too, so they're expecting a wizard fight, not fucking Swollicus Maximus.

He casts sleep with somantic components is what I'm saying

I can't fucking breathe, you monster

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I'm listening to Shad's book (youtube history sword and castle guy) and the concept for the book would be a hella fun D&D character to play

Basically, the BBEG has a come to jesus moment and realizes he's been evil his whole life, goes into exile (after having conquered the world and killed millions), helps people until very old age, then when he goes to kill himself, is restored to youth with what amounts to a paladin oath to do good in the world because he's not getting off that easily

but he's still got the impulses of the kind of a tyrannical prick, and has to correct himself from doing things like slamming his fist on a table and shouting "ENOUGH, PEASANT"

would require DM buy in but could be fun

override367 on
  • Options
    Re: 5E ability checks, I'm assuming the DC difficulty table is presuming you're making skill checks? Because a straight ability check against a 15 being "medium" is absurd, a character with a score of 20 would only have a 50/50 chance of making it. The fact that they're flat and don't adjust per level is also weird, you naturally increase your ability scores and proficiency bonus as you level, how does the difficulty rating not change?

• Options
    It's all technically ability checks, with skills being able to enhance your chances of success. A strength ability check to swim in rough waters could be enhanced with the Athletics skill. A wisdom check to notice a hidden monster would be aided by the perception skill.

A very strong person would naturally be a better swimmer. But in rough waters, if you're not trained to swim, your chances aren't great just because of your physical attributes. Conversely, someone who wasn't very strong, but very athletic, would be a better swimmer.

At least that's how I read it.

• Options
    Sure, but my question is, with the following DC scale for ability checks:

Very easy - 5
    Easy - 10
    Medium - 15
    Hard - 20
    Very hard - 25
    Nearly impossible - 30

Is the unspoken intent here that this is the difficulty when doing skill checks, ie, ability check + proficiency + other bonuses, or is a WIS 20 character having a 50% chance of making a WIS check really "medium" difficult?

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Sure, but my question is, with the following DC scale for ability checks:

Very easy - 5
    Easy - 10
    Medium - 15
    Hard - 20
    Very hard - 25
    Nearly impossible - 30

Is the unspoken intent here that this is the difficulty when doing skill checks, ie, ability check + proficiency + other bonuses, or is a WIS 20 character having a 50% chance of making a WIS check really "medium" difficult?

Must be a skill checks, otherwise "Nearly Impossible" would be literally impossible.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
This discussion has been closed.