As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LGBT protections and rights

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Just a reminder that Laura Kelly's opponent for the election that made her Governor, was Kris f'n Kobach, basically concentrated Republicanism in a suit.

And he lost. In Kansas.

People say local and state elections aren't important. This is proof positive, of why it is. Because Governor Kelly got this done, and Kobach would have never let it get this far.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/07/31/tennessee-dont-prosecute-lgbt-domestic-violence/

A Tennessee DA is letting abusers walk free because he doesn't consider LGBT marriages marriage. Also advocating country clerks break the law and refuse marriage licensing

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Many years back, there was a Simpsons episode that featured a pride parade. The people in the parade were chanting "we're here, we're queer, get used to it". The Simpsons family were standing watching the parade, and replied back that they were used to it; the parade had been going on annually for years. The chanters replied with a dejected sigh, apparently hoping there was still a battle to be fought.

That episode has not aged well.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    I am sorry to bring this thread back, because I know my heart always sinks when I see it. But this feels important.
    The Trump administration took its hardest line yet to legalize anti-gay discrimination on Friday when it asked the Supreme Court to declare that federal law allows private companies to fire workers based only on their sexual orientation.

An amicus brief filed by the Justice Department weighed in on two cases involving gay workers and what is meant by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which bans discrimination "because of sex.” The administration argued courts nationwide should stop reading the civil rights law to protect gay, lesbian, and bisexual workers from bias because it was not originally intended to do so.

That view conflicts with some lower court rulings that found targeting someone for their sexual orientation is an illegal form of both sex discrimination and sex stereotyping under Title VII. Those courts have found, to illustrate the point, that a gay man wouldn't be targeted if he were instead a woman dating a man; thus he faced discrimination because of his sex.

But the administration said in its brief Friday that Title VII’s ban on sex discrimination only prohibits unequal treatment between "biological sexes,” as it argued last week in a related brief against transgender rights, in which the Justice Department said companies should be able to fire people because they are transgender as well.

It's not like we didn't see this coming, but it's still giving me an honest to god panic attack.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    It's with sadness and fear that I bump this thread again. I'm sorry if this is inappropraite, but I don't see any other thread in which to post this, and I sort of need to howl into the void.

The Trump administration will now allow doctors to discriminate against LGBTQ people.
    The Trump administration has finalized a Department of Health and Human Services administrative rule rolling back health care discrimination protections for LGBTQ people, according to an HHS press release. The rule was released Friday, June 12, the fourth anniversary of the Pulse shooting, which left 49 victims, including many queer and trans people, dead in an Orlando, Florida, nightclub.

First proposed in May 2019, the rule reverses an Obama-era interpretation that sex discrimination under Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act applied to discrimination against queer and trans people, as well as people who are seeking or have had an abortion.

“HHS will enforce Section 1557 by returning to the government’s interpretation of sex discrimination according to the plain meaning of the word ‘sex’ as male or female and as determined by biology,” reads the agency’s press release.

The timing of this announcement is deliberate and chilling, and I am not taking it well today. I was on the edge of transitioning and coming out when Trump was elected, and after he was, I decided it was safer to hide and cower in fear. It's been gut wrenching to watch this all go down, and continue to go down, with their obvious and pointed hatred so naked, and so obvious.

• Options
    HUD also revoked a rule requiring single sex homeless shelters to accept trans people on the same day.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    If there is a terrible actions president can take, Trump seams to not only take it, but time it to maximize his horribleness.

Like if he were going to kick a puppy, he would definitely do it on national animal rights day.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    This Administration has lost nearly 4/5ths of it's Rules changes in Court, so hopefully the inevitable lawsuit against this is similarly victorious. Or the injunction lasts into the Biden presidency and he rolls it back to the Obama understanding without it ever having gone into effect.

• Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    This administration flaunts its cruelty.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    ZeroCow wrote: »
    This administration flaunts its cruelty.

As in many other instances, with them the cruelty is the point.

• Options
    Also, standing reminder that being defeated in court takes time, money, effort, and mental fortitude. It doesn't fucking matter if they will eventually see this ruling overturned, it still does fucking damage RIGHT THE FUCK NOW.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Also, standing reminder that being defeated in court takes time, money, effort, and mental fortitude. It doesn't fucking matter if they will eventually see this ruling overturned, it still does fucking damage RIGHT THE FUCK NOW.

They just openly want to kill me.

Fuck them all. GOP delenda est

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular

Agreed.

Let’s be blunt, laws and regulations don’t actually do anything to directly stop bad actors, but they do (1) provide victims with recourse and (2) the message that the state is on their side. Regardless if (1) is reinstated in court, (2) is explicitly gone as long as these murderous white supremacist fascists are in power. And that matters.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/wxzRZmTXwPE

The only thing that please me more than the way Roberts and Gorsich(!) voted is the decision itself.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The specific ruling only applies to Title VII, but the opinion's reasoning would seem to extend all sex discrimination protections to cover all gender identities.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Finally some good fucking news.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

You had to say that.

**looks around waiting for something horrendous to happen**

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

You had to say that.

**looks around waiting for something horrendous to happen**

Man, everything else is on fire. The horrendous has already happened.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    An amicus brief filed by the Justice Department weighed in on two cases involving gay workers and what is meant by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which bans discrimination "because of sex.” The administration argued courts nationwide should stop reading the civil rights law to protect gay, lesbian, and bisexual workers from bias because it was not originally intended to do so.

I wonder if they've noticed that that's a very dangerous argument to give a precedent to.
    This one about freedom to bear arms probably wasn't intended to refer to semi automatics and machine guns and grenade launchers and so on.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

I wonder if they've noticed that that's a very dangerous argument to give a precedent to.
    This one about freedom to bear arms probably wasn't intended to refer to semi automatics and machine guns and grenade launchers and so on.

Well, only if you care about things like "logical consistency" or "precedent", and that sort of high-falutin' talk is dangerous intellectualism to this SCOTUS.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

The only thing that please me more than the way Roberts and Gorsich(!) voted is the decision itself.

Summary for people that can't watch YouTube?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Summary for people that can't watch YouTube?

"Federal civil rights law protects gay, lesbian and transgender workers, the Supreme Court ruled Monday.

The landmark ruling will extend protections to millions of workers nationwide and is a defeat for the Trump administration, which argued that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act that bars discrimination based on sex did not extend to claims of gender identity and sexual orientation.

The 6-3 opinion was written by Justice Neil Gorsuch and joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and the court's four liberal justices."

(From video description)

• Options
    That EO from last week did feel oddly proactive coming from this admin

Clearly they were tipped off as to this decision early and did what they always do

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    The 11th circuit has gone completely off the rails and now deems medical abuse as protected by the first amendment.

Slate staff writer:
    11th Circuit rules that bans on anti-LGBTQ "conversion therapy" violate the First Amendment. 2–1 decision, both judges in the majority appointed by Trump. A really awful and frightening decision. https://media.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinions/pub/f

Lawdog with more input:
    I’d underline this about the radicalism of this 11th Cir conversion therapy decision: it’s only about *licensure* of therapists. The panel majority is saying the 1A forbids authorities regulating this harmful practice among people it grants licenses to.

The majority demands more "research"- which the medical community rightfully refuses to do, considering it unethical. Not that the 11th's judges would ever be satisfied, of course.

• Options
    Jesus Christ.

This "bigotry and hatred are protected speech" bullshit is really getting fucking old.

• Options
    Jesus Christ.

This "bigotry and hatred are protected speech" bullshit is really getting fucking old.

This is like saying that licensed physicians should be allowed to perform nonconsensual surgery without anesthesia

It’s immensely harmful, a clear violation of ethics, and is in no way “speech”

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.

This is like saying that licensed physicians should be allowed to perform nonconsensual surgery without anesthesia

It’s immensely harmful, a clear violation of ethics, and is in no way “speech”

But they're just talking (actual argument in the majority). The dissent was...displeased:
    Thus one implication of the majority holding is that because SOCE is too dangerous to study, children can continue to be subjected to it.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Ironically I believe the ruling may actually violate the first amendment on freedom of association grounds

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ.

Sadly this is the new, and so far pretty successful because of conservative courts, tactic they are using to enshrine their ideology into law. It's gonna be this for the foreseeable future until the composition of the courts gets changed.

• Options
    The usual suspects are claiming this is a legit First Amendment issue which is just..what. This is about licensing therapists. The entire profession is speech. So. Either you can license them, and thereby restrict what they can say, or you can't. Oh wait you're not trying to overturn licensing? Just claim this is an exception for reasons? Get fucked. Arrg.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    The usual suspects are claiming this is a legit First Amendment issue which is just..what. This is about licensing therapists. The entire profession is speech. So. Either you can license them, and thereby restrict what they can say, or you can't. Oh wait you're not trying to overturn licensing? Just claim this is an exception for reasons? Get fucked. Arrg.

Yeah, I'm getting more and more a "cheerleading for Omelas" vibe from the free speech "absolutist" crowd. Fuck the fact that conversion therapy does real harm to those subjected to it, making sure that free speech is in no way impeded is more important.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    The 11th circuit has gone completely off the rails and now deems medical abuse as protected by the first amendment.

Slate staff writer:
    11th Circuit rules that bans on anti-LGBTQ "conversion therapy" violate the First Amendment. 2–1 decision, both judges in the majority appointed by Trump. A really awful and frightening decision. https://media.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinions/pub/f

Lawdog with more input:
    I’d underline this about the radicalism of this 11th Cir conversion therapy decision: it’s only about *licensure* of therapists. The panel majority is saying the 1A forbids authorities regulating this harmful practice among people it grants licenses to.

The majority demands more "research"- which the medical community rightfully refuses to do, considering it unethical. Not that the 11th's judges would ever be satisfied, of course.

There is still on going research into conversion therapy. I know the STEM field defines research to be purely about experimentation, but therapy research looks a lot different for a number of good reasons. There have been articles published this year about the process and how harmful it is. There will be continued research into the effects of the therapy over the short and long term as banning it doesn't prevent it from happening. The research can be broadly lumped into 2 types of results. The first one we can call "Holy shit y'all won't believe how fucked up these people are after enduring this torture," and "We really think it is cool to torture children." I can't say I see this changing anytime soon. Fuck these guys.

Edit: Slight edits for less snark since I wasn't trying to direct it at any posters here, but the universe at large.

Gnizmo on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Will there be an appeal?

• Options
    edited December 2020
    In non-Trump lame duck news, Tulsi Gabbard continues to be a shitbird during her own lame duck. Specifically she's trying to amend Title IX to make it illegal for trans women to play sports.

https://gabbard.house.gov/news/press-releases/reps-gabbard-and-mullin-introduce-bill-ensure-title-ix-protections-women-and

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    I remember last year when people (not here) kept trying to tell me that, noooo, Gabbard's totally changed from her anti-LGBT days, she's pro-LGBT now!

Yeah, no.

• Options
    Lost in the *gestures at everything* but the Trump admin is giving minorities of all stripes the finger on the way out
    https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2021/01/donald-trump-tries-roll-back-discrimination-protections-way-door/
    The Department of Justice has submitted a proposal to the White House to change the way they enforce Title VI of the Civil Rights Act.
    The change would specifically eliminate “disparate impact” protections for minorities. This is one of the most important tools in civil rights cases, because it doesn’t require plaintiffs to prove intent to discriminate. Instead, it covers instances where policies have a different impact on minority groups.

For example, one of the most famous of these types of cases involved literacy tests for voting that was meant to prevent Black people from voting. Because they had frequently been forced out of schools, this put Black people at a disadvantage. The law didn’t specifically single out Black Americans, but its effects took away their right to vote more than others.

this is one that needs reversing, ASAP.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Lost in the *gestures at everything* but the Trump admin is giving minorities of all stripes the finger on the way out
    https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2021/01/donald-trump-tries-roll-back-discrimination-protections-way-door/
    The Department of Justice has submitted a proposal to the White House to change the way they enforce Title VI of the Civil Rights Act.
    The change would specifically eliminate “disparate impact” protections for minorities. This is one of the most important tools in civil rights cases, because it doesn’t require plaintiffs to prove intent to discriminate. Instead, it covers instances where policies have a different impact on minority groups.

For example, one of the most famous of these types of cases involved literacy tests for voting that was meant to prevent Black people from voting. Because they had frequently been forced out of schools, this put Black people at a disadvantage. The law didn’t specifically single out Black Americans, but its effects took away their right to vote more than others.

this is one that needs reversing, ASAP.

I can't see how it would even make it through what I assume is the rule-making process for this kind of thing before Biden is in charge and just kills it. But maybe it can move faster then that.

• Options
    Later in the article
    The proposed change was quietly submitted by the department last month and bypassed the normal federal rule-making process that requires the government to publish the change and allow for public comment. It was one of former Attorney General Bill Barr’s last acts.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Shocker.