As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Game Pass...passes...onto the new thread.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I am really enjoying Immortals:Fenyx Rising - it has dropped in price a lot and I think it is well worth it even if you just like roaming around and collecting stuff.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    This TV is definitely too big for this room.

Which, in a lockdown situation, is kind of awesome.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

That's not the worse problem to have.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

That's not the worse problem to have.

It may need correcting when All This is over. Possibly. But for now, while I'm stuck at home by myself for months (at best), it's definitely a plus point.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    What Remains of Edith Finch is simply one of the best video games ever made so I'm glad to see it hitting Gamepass.

I wouldn't go...that far, but I will say it is definitely one of the better "Walking narrator simulators," out there, at least outside of the horror genre, and I didn't regret playing through it.

Calling it a walking narrator simulator is a misnomer IMO. It also features one of the most innovative marriages of gameplay and narrative in one of the vignettes that I've ever seen in a video game.
    It is absolutely one of the best and most effective gaming experiences I've ever had. Note, I'm not saying it has to be for you.

• Options
    What Remains of Edith Finch is simply one of the best video games ever made so I'm glad to see it hitting Gamepass.

I wouldn't go...that far, but I will say it is definitely one of the better "Walking narrator simulators," out there, at least outside of the horror genre, and I didn't regret playing through it.

Calling it a walking narrator simulator is a misnomer IMO. It also features one of the most innovative marriages of gameplay and narrative in one of the vignettes that I've ever seen in a video game.
    It is absolutely one of the best and most effective gaming experiences I've ever had. Note, I'm not saying it has to be for you.

It's more elaborate than Dear Esther and more in the area of Firewatch or Tacoma, but I think it's still accurately described as a walking narration simulator (having periodic puzzles--and they're understandably very easy in it--doesn't exclude that). I don't mean that pejoratively, it just seems like a pretty accurate descriptor (I guess you could say "exploration narrator simulator", but that's even more vague considering how many games can reliably claim "exploration" as a core game mechanic) for a foot-travel narration game.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    1. Yeah torchlight 3 is not good, I didn't even know it got a console port lol.
    2. Why are they adding YIIK, ew.
    3. You should definitely play FTL and Tekken 7 before they leave on the 15th (also maybe buy FTL, its pretty much always $10 or less on Steam and Epic)

• Options
    I'm mildly annoyed FTL never got Xbox achievements, but that probably as much to do with me chaffing under being so much at mercy of RNG, especially for the final boss encounter. I'm not good at Rogue-likes at all.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I'm mildly annoyed FTL never got Xbox achievements, but that probably as much to do with me chaffing under being so much at mercy of RNG, especially for the final boss encounter. I'm not good at Rogue-likes at all.

I don't know about other RLs, but FTL can be salvageable depending on your choices. But, yes. Sometimes you cam be screwed early through no fault of your own.

And if you don't have the ability to shut down the missile launcher on the flagship then you will have problems with it. Certainly not a game to devote large swaths of time to.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Edith Finch is also a REALLY really sad game. Be aware.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    1. Yeah torchlight 3 is not good, I didn't even know it got a console port lol.
    2. Why are they adding YIIK, ew.
    3. You should definitely play FTL and Tekken 7 before they leave on the 15th (also maybe buy FTL, its pretty much always $10 or less on Steam and Epic)

If you're not dying to play FTL at this exact moment, keep in mind it has been free on Epic in the past and they do issue repeats of the free titles occasionally.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

It's more elaborate than Dear Esther and more in the area of Firewatch or Tacoma, but I think it's still accurately described as a walking narration simulator (having periodic puzzles--and they're understandably very easy in it--doesn't exclude that). I don't mean that pejoratively, it just seems like a pretty accurate descriptor (I guess you could say "exploration narrator simulator", but that's even more vague considering how many games can reliably claim "exploration" as a core game mechanic) for a foot-travel narration game.

rofl... Is it bad that I don't even remember anything about Edith Finch, yet I distinctly remember that Dear Esther for some indiscernible had a "full director commentary" playthrough?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Oh woohaw,

Prohass wrote: »
    Having an annoying issue lately, my screenshots aren’t uploading to Xbox live. Like my recorded clips are, but screenshots aren’t, and I can’t find a way to like manually do it. They’re only on my HD

Hm, I had this problem the other day myself. Only tried it with one pic, prior ones went through okay. I'll have to check again to see if it was just a fluke for me or not.

Seen this happening for a month or so, since I got my Series X. It's totally erratic, some days yes, other days no. It's totally odd, I was used to screenshots always just uploading but now I have to flit through my feed and share them. It's annoying. On the other hand, pleasant discovery - the One X I gave my co-worker, that I made my home console? She can multi with me on it even though she doesn't have gold, it lets us share mine. She is so excited to play Valhalla 'the hot vikings game' but after that, I think it's going to be some Dead Rising time.

Nosf on
  • Options

rofl... Is it bad that I don't even remember anything about Edith Finch, yet I distinctly remember that Dear Esther for some indiscernible had a "full director commentary" playthrough?

A lot of walking simulators have a developer commentary mode of some kind.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

A lot of walking simulators have a developer commentary mode of some kind.

It's their version of new game+ now with more and different narration.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular

I started playing this after i read your posts and i'm glad I did. It's right up my alley, so thank you

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

I think it had me crying on three separate occasions.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Row of people playing early version of Dead or Alive 3? OK, all I need to know.

• Options
    "This your last free article". Sod off Bloomberg.

• Options
    "This your last free article". Sod off Bloomberg.

I'm not going to put them in the neighborhood of "The New York Times covering anything remotely related to the Second Gulf War," but yeah, Bloomberg doesn't seem like the most optimal source on video game historiography.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Great article though. :+1: Really took me back to those heady days. I remember going to E3 2001 with three co-workers (all of whom I remain friends with and one of whom is now one of my best friends on the planet), and we were among the few impressed with the Xbox. Loved the controller (ah, the Duke, so awesome), games were largely fine (except for Halo, but that's a story in itself, it was very ropey then), and Microsoft were more than happy to let us film stuff on the on-the-shoulder VHS camcorder we'd brought with us to document our time at the show, in a notable contrast to Sony. The latter came across very haughty, while MS made a point of being accommodating.

We didn't get into the pressers, we didn't get to see any behind-closed-doors stuff, but we saw a lot from MS, Sony, Nintendo, assorted publishers, and all the weird shit down in Kentia Hall. And it was very noteworthy that all four of us came away basically raving about the Xbox, when history records MS had a very poor show. The only Xbox misfire for us was Halo. It was funny how the hype for that game was killed stone dead by that E3. And then, slowly, it started to ramp up again.

Then came November 15th. Two of us four worked that midnight launch, and my great friend who had the night off still came in to pick up his launch machine. The first batch of Xboxes had seals on the boxes that weren't capable of withstanding the machine's substantial weight, and two of our stock broke their own seals as a result before we realised, so we put those two aside for my friend and me.

I eventually got home at about 2am I think, with my Xbox, Halo, and Project Gotham Racing. And yes, I had that thing hooked up straight away and played for at least an hour before going to bed. I'd made the right choice.

DOA3 and others would follow soon after. You know, for every Azurik or Kabuki Warriors, there was also something awesome and exclusive. Xbox LAN parties took off in a way System Link on other machines never did. And that was all before Xbox Live.

A huge point for me was what Ed Fries says in that article. "What it showed was that we didn’t just create a clone of the PlayStation but that we were opening up a new market that was somewhere in between Mario and PC gaming." That was what made the Xbox for me. I'd always been a computer gamer, from the ZX Spectrum in 1982 right up to that point. I'd had consoles from the Master System onwards too, but they were always secondary - the PS1 probably got closest to being a primary system but it still sorely lacked a lot of those experiences only a PC could provide at the time. PC gaming and console gaming were, largely, two different things, at a fundamental and philosophical level. The Xbox, in the words of Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam in Dune, "sealed the breach".

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    And I bet the Bloomberg article didn't even reference Dune once!

Manifold Garden glitched out on me a couple times in the home stretch--if you've seen the game, it's particular vulnerable to the whole "Huh, is this gateway supposed to only be open when staring through a particular pair of columns...or is it just glitched out and will fix itself when I load the game?" You can spend 20 minutes looking for a solution to a puzzle that wasn't actually a puzzle. :lol:

It's an intrinsic quality of Indie Games: they're not "less buggy", they're just fundamentally simpler in design for reasonable reasons of size and scope and mission. No one can blame Manifold Garden for feature creep, which is probably largely to blame for CP2077's state--but it still has game-breaking bugs nonetheless, in the very real sense that there is only one "game" in it.

Still a visually stunning experience. Definitely plan to get the last two achievements (a 0% run instead of a 100% run, effectively)--this time with a guide. :lol:

Synthesis on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    That was a fun article. I especially liked the section with them approaching different developers, Konami in particular.

---

Anyone gotten the Duke Set in Sea of Thieves yet? Just found out my brother-in-law got a Series S for Christmas, so I may have a back-up plan in case I'm not able to play Sea of Thieves on an X|S before May 9th.

Bear in mind, I haven't played SoT at all yet -- I was going to start when I got a Series X. Do you just have to start the game on your profile there, and that's that? (And yes, I Googled it. The results weren't especially clear. Maybe I should have Binged it instead...)

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Bear in mind, I haven't played SoT at all yet -- I was going to start when I got a Series X. Do you just have to start the game on your profile there, and that's that? (And yes, I Googled it. The results weren't especially clear. Maybe I should have Binged it instead...)

Only use Bing if Google fails to work with a little-known web browser called...Chrome, was it? Yes, that was it.

(This has happened to me more than once.)

I'm not sure about your question, but your account in Sea of Thieves is cumulative (in fact, I have no idea how to "regenerate" your pirate-y avatar, though I'm pretty sure it's possible)--all awards should be account bound, as are your reputation levels with each of the game's trade factions. On top of that, unlike some PS5/PS4 games, currently there's no separation between persistent online accounts on Xbox One and Xbox Series, it's all the same account, the way they're all the same online-stored singleplayer saves.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'll just say that Bing Reward Points add up and are nice if you are in the Xbox ecosystem.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Less fictitiously, I use Bing instead of Google because 99% of my search engine use isn't actually searching things--it's going to websites I know the name of.

And the remaining 1% isn't somehow "exclusive" only to Google's magical servers.

Also I want those reward points.

EDIT: That being said, the entire reason for using Google as an actual search engine--and not the massive umbrella of largely unrelated services--is "inertia", and that's a good one. It's like using Windows in Asia, where if you say "Mac" people have no idea what you're talking about.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    speaking of bing, hey uh.... crap I forgot who it was... but our redemption cap has reset for the year so you should be able to spend points again. you get your free Series X yet?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I recently got the Hue Sync box and some Play bars to go behind the main room TV. Basically it tosses the predominant colors on the wall adding a color splash as you play or watch something. Honestly when I'm gaming I almost don't even notice it, but for movies it's adds quite a bit. The box was annoying to set up but once it did it worked a charm. I'm actually impressed how well it works, tho I am wondering if it introduces any latency to games in a noticeable way.

• Options
    I recently got the Hue Sync box and some Play bars to go behind the main room TV. Basically it tosses the predominant colors on the wall adding a color splash as you play or watch something. Honestly when I'm gaming I almost don't even notice it, but for movies it's adds quite a bit. The box was annoying to set up but once it did it worked a charm. I'm actually impressed how well it works, tho I am wondering if it introduces any latency to games in a noticeable way.

I presume it works with the video out from the console which it pipes onto the TV? There's probably some measurable latency but that's getting into "Does your TV have a gaming mode and is it set properly" space that a lot of people don't necessarily notice.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    speaking of bing, hey uh.... crap I forgot who it was... but our redemption cap has reset for the year so you should be able to spend points again. you get your free Series X yet?

I've got $530 in my rewards account and am just waiting for the MS store to get a restock I can pull the trigger on.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Been a while since the boys at Digital Foundry posted anything that particularly stood out, but this one was...curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG9VWwue1DA

Namely, as Stadia is today--and if you have apparently godly amounts of bandwidth--it has some subtle visual advantages over the Xbox Series X running 2020's biggest game, but one of them is not framerate.

If I don't need to purchase the Series X version again later, I might honestly need to pick it up. It runs a lot better on Series X than I'd been led to believe.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I had a CP crash where it told me the controller was disconnected but the controller was still powered. Removing the battery didn't solve it so obviously I rebooted.

Weirdest hardlock I've ever seen.

• Options

Only use Bing if Google fails to work with a little-known web browser called...Chrome, was it? Yes, that was it.

I'm not sure about your question, but your account in Sea of Thieves is cumulative (in fact, I have no idea how to "regenerate" your pirate-y avatar, though I'm pretty sure it's possible)--all awards should be account bound, as are your reputation levels with each of the game's trade factions. On top of that, unlike some PS5/PS4 games, currently there's no separation between persistent online accounts on Xbox One and Xbox Series, it's all the same account, the way they're all the same online-stored singleplayer saves.

I figured it would be, I just don't know if you sign in and it's just there, if you have to have a SoT file that's been used a bit, if you have to retrieve it from a chest or it doesn't count, or what.

You really can't take anything for granted in this biz.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

I figured it would be, I just don't know if you sign in and it's just there, if you have to have a SoT file that's been used a bit, if you have to retrieve it from a chest or it doesn't count, or what.

You really can't take anything for granted in this biz.

Yeah, Sony hasn't helped in this area.

But as for Sea of Thieves--and Xbox games right now--it's all the same: if someone took your Xbox One and put an Xbox Series there instead, and you logged in with your same account, everything pertaining to your account would be the same (and specifically for SoT, which stores all your progress online what with it being an online game and all), the only thing that would be different would be console-side performance options (of which...SoT doesn't have any, so things will just look different whether you like it or not).

Of course, I'm not going to claim this isn't going to change. It's just, right now, the Xbox Library doesn't distinguish between "save data for game x on Xbox One" and "save data for game x on Xbox Series"

• Options
    Are you sure? The whole thing behind this set/promo is that you have to play the game on a Series X|S before May 9th in order to get it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JXWB_UzKqj0
    Celebrate four generations of Xbox, and one conveniently named character, with the Duke Ship Set!

Any bilge rats that play Sea of Thieves on an Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S can grab this verdant vessel set from the Shipwright's chest the next time they log in. Cheers! 🍻

If I can get it just by playing on my Xbox One, then problem solved, but man, that would be some misleading marketing.

• Options
    Are you sure? The whole thing behind this set/promo is that you have to play the game on a Series X|S before May 9th in order to get it:

A belated disclaimer: everything I've said applies to the game "in general"--I didn't even know there was a Duke costume set, and just because accounts work across Xbox One and Xbox Series doesn't mean Microsoft can't tell what hardware you're playing on because, quite obviously, they can. The game has entirely separate visual settings between the four different hardware SKUs.

So, if Microsoft says, "You only get this set for playing on Xbox Series," then yes, I'm pretty sure you have to play it on the new console hardware.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JXWB_UzKqj0
    Celebrate four generations of Xbox, and one conveniently named character, with the Duke Ship Set!

Any bilge rats that play Sea of Thieves on an Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S can grab this verdant vessel set from the Shipwright's chest the next time they log in. Cheers! 🍻

If I can get it just by playing on my Xbox One, then problem solved, but man, that would be some misleading marketing.

At the end, in small lettering at the bottom, it does confirm that this is exclusive to the Series consoles.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Promotion ends in May? Guess they weren't kidding that they don't expect the consoles to be readily available till April.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    What the heck, I was playing cod Cold War yesterday and was getting 60fps with ray tracing on my series x. Start it up today and the frame rate is at 30 and ray tracing has been disabled. I’m restarting the Xbox cos people said that fixes it but goddamnit I knew that these consoles getting closer to PCs meant we would be getting more bugs from the complexities and variance