As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HITMAN 2 is probably still the best hitman but HITMAN Ill has some cool things going on

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/UzR4s12iVNs

3 is coming to switch via a cloud streaming system

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    OK so HITMAN 3 is coming out on the 20th of YANVAR.

I have HITMAN 1 and 2. I played a little of HITMAN 1 and liked it a lot. I spent like 100 bucks on HITMAN 2 and never played it because I wanted to finish HITMAN 1 first and didn't. I have HITMAN 1 and 2 on the PC.

So now HITMAN 3 is coming out and I'm thinking of buying it for the PS5 rather than the PC because I have PSVR and because I think the DualSense triggers may add a lot of immersiveness to the game.

Question I have is: How does the HITMAN 1 and 2 levels import into HITMAN 3? Anyone know? How did that work with HITMAN 2 into HITMAN 1? If I want to get all the content for the first two games into HITMAN 3, is it just a matter of buying the base game of each for the PS4 and then it should unlock it all in HITMAN 3? Does that mean I can just skip those two games and then play all that content through HITMAN 3?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Drez wrote: »
    OK so HITMAN 3 is coming out on the 20th of YANVAR.

I have HITMAN 1 and 2. I played a little of HITMAN 1 and liked it a lot. I spent like 100 bucks on HITMAN 2 and never played it because I wanted to finish HITMAN 1 first and didn't. I have HITMAN 1 and 2 on the PC.

So now HITMAN 3 is coming out and I'm thinking of buying it for the PS5 rather than the PC because I have PSVR and because I think the DualSense triggers may add a lot of immersiveness to the game.

Question I have is: How does the HITMAN 1 and 2 levels import into HITMAN 3? Anyone know? How did that work with HITMAN 2 into HITMAN 1? If I want to get all the content for the first two games into HITMAN 3, is it just a matter of buying the base game of each for the PS4 and then it should unlock it all in HITMAN 3? Does that mean I can just skip those two games and then play all that content through HITMAN 3?

It should be better (It was pretty bad), they promised linking from steam to EGS, and also vastly reduced HDD size (around 100gb for the 1/2/3 + season passes mega pack)
    Unlocked items should also transfer.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    With the 1->2 transfer, once you logged into 2 it saw you had 1 on the same steam account and then downloaded all the content into 2 (as separate stuff, you couldn't cheat and copy the folders) then you could just delete 1 and go to town, except you needed to go unlock all your cool stuff again. Fortunately IOI say that unlocks will carry over this time around, but they've not released details on how the linking will work. Though the safe bet is via an ioi account.

Regarding console versions, I *think* there's a bumper version of 2 that includes 1 that might be a bit cheaper but I have no idea. I don't know how transfers worked on console but I would be willing to bet that it was a massive pain the arse.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Thanks to you both!

Did any of the addons have levels or whatever that I would need?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Thanks to you both!

Did any of the addons have levels or whatever that I would need?

Yeah, they released two levels for Hitman 2 later on. One's a bank in New York and the other's an island resort. I think they were both pretty good levels and they're worth getting.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    There was also the Patient Zero mini-campaign for Hitman 1, which remixed the Hitman 1 maps with new missions and mechanics.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Are unlocks also linked on the console versions of the game, or is that for PC/Steam only?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Elki wrote: »
    Are unlocks also linked on the console versions of the game, or is that for PC/Steam only?

I *think* so, have to check but I don't see why not.
    [edit]
    so it seems like it is limited by platform which makes sense tbh
    Progression/Content exists solely within the family of platform you have chosen to play this trilogy of Hitman games. Example: Hitman (2016) Progression/Content On PS4 can be carried over into the later games Hitman 2 and Hitman 3 on that console as well as the family of consoles including the upcoming PS5, but not the Xbox One or Xbox Series X. Same goes for PC/Windows users.
    I can't find the source of this quote but the actual Hitman pages don't make any mention of consoles being excluded so I would expect this to be accurate.

This is pretty interesting, I'd heard that IOI had managed to shrink things but it seems that they managed to do an even better job of it that initial reports

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Last minute change-up for PC players, turns out EGS isn't going to play nice if you own the Steam versions after all. So in order to import the Hitman 1 and 2 levels, you need to actually own them on EGS. To remedy this, Hitman 1 is being given away for free for a limited time if you purchase Hitman 3, and Hitman 2 is being discounted by 80% for a limited time.

I was going to wait a year for the Steam release anyways (though they better not screw me out of any limited time content), but figured others might need to know.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Holy shit, that's some garbage.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    I was in a Twitch chat with an IOI dev last night, and they were like "We'll keep you updated on progression closer to launch".

Dog, the game is out in a few days.

And this is the best they could do?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited January 2021
    BOOOO

I blame WB for this tbh, they're probably why Hitman the second isn't in the Epic database to allow the hook up, given they published that one.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Last minute change-up for PC players, turns out EGS isn't going to play nice if you own the Steam versions after all. So in order to import the Hitman 1 and 2 levels, you need to actually own them on EGS. To remedy this, Hitman 1 is being given away for free for a limited time if you purchase Hitman 3, and Hitman 2 is being discounted by 80% for a limited time.

I was going to wait a year for the Steam release anyways (though they better not screw me out of any limited time content), but figured others might need to know.

The fuck?

Do your unlocks and shit at least transfer?

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »

The fuck?

Do your unlocks and shit at least transfer?

There's a web page for that apparently https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-3-pre-launch-guide/

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I don't think this is correct.

On that page they say
    – Progression can only be carried over from within the same platform. There are only three options:

HITMAN 2 (PlayStation) → HITMAN 3 (PlayStation)
    HITMAN 2 (Xbox) → HITMAN 3 (Xbox)
    HITMAN 2 (PC/Steam) → HITMAN 3 (PC/Epic)

Which suggests that progress does carry over from steam via the IOI account.

Further down, where the confusion is coming from, they are talking about the Access Pass. Which is a thing you need to buy if you don't own the previous games.

• Options
    Progress carries over with no problems

Content does not and that's the catch

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I see, that distinction isn't clearly laid out. It's a confusing explanation. Shame, guess i'll wait a year.

• Options
    IOI is saying it's "out of their control", sort of like how Control not getting a free upgrade was "out of their control" until they accidentally did it anyway

https://kotaku.com/the-mystery-around-control-s-next-gen-upgrade-restricti-1845025380

steam_sig.png

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    That Control story should be laid squarely at the feet of their publisher, 505, and i buy that something fell through at the last minute for IOI

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They also failed to mention the VR support was only for the dead-end PSVR until recently too as far as I can tell.

Really poor start to 3 all around so far.

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    The worst thing is they've been so late in announcing these things, like 5 days before release. All these details would absolutely have been factors in people's pre-orders. And all this is after they'd explicitly stated that content could be imported from Hitman 1 and 2 for existing owners at no additional cost.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

so is this IOI's or Epic's fault? No one knows :rotate:

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i know io is independent now, but does square still have any kind of financial interest in hitman '16?

if so wrangling things between three publishers and two platform holders sounds like a real big headache. doesn't excuse the bad messaging about it but it's very easy to imagine how that turns into a shitshow.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The way I understand it IO owns the Hitman license and the right to sell Hitman 1.

But Warner Brothers owns the right to sell Hitman 2.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    oof

Hitman 3 has no upper limit for what it thinks its Mission Stories are capable of in the game. One of the most publicized things about this game pre-release was its “murder mystery” about a family of wealthy elite, which conceptually seems to liberally borrow from Knives Out and its genre ilk. Conceptually, it’s quite neat. Agent 47 becomes an investigator, and the level transforms into an adventure game rather than a Hitman level. You run around and look for clues, then you try to solve the mystery. The problem is that Hitman 3 is not an adventure game. Without spoiling any of this, I can say that you can’t attempt to “solve” the mystery without finding all of the clues in several locations and speaking to all of the suspects, meaning that this mystery feels way more like trivial exercise in walking around and hitting buttons than it does solving a mystery. It doesn’t help that it is painfully obvious who committed the murder after you find just a few of the clues, meaning that the bulk of the mission really is just a painful, plodding exercise in walking around and picking things up to “prove” what you know. There are a few other “in depth” Mission Stories like this spread through the game, and I found them all to be about as compelling as that one. They take you down very strict roads that don’t have a lot of room to maneuver, and they’re all very standard genre fare with few surprises.

still, sounds like it might not be as bad if you're just sorta free-styling and not trying to follow the mission stories?[/spoilers]

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    oof

Hitman 3 has no upper limit for what it thinks its Mission Stories are capable of in the game. One of the most publicized things about this game pre-release was its “murder mystery” about a family of wealthy elite, which conceptually seems to liberally borrow from Knives Out and its genre ilk. Conceptually, it’s quite neat. Agent 47 becomes an investigator, and the level transforms into an adventure game rather than a Hitman level. You run around and look for clues, then you try to solve the mystery. The problem is that Hitman 3 is not an adventure game. Without spoiling any of this, I can say that you can’t attempt to “solve” the mystery without finding all of the clues in several locations and speaking to all of the suspects, meaning that this mystery feels way more like trivial exercise in walking around and hitting buttons than it does solving a mystery. It doesn’t help that it is painfully obvious who committed the murder after you find just a few of the clues, meaning that the bulk of the mission really is just a painful, plodding exercise in walking around and picking things up to “prove” what you know. There are a few other “in depth” Mission Stories like this spread through the game, and I found them all to be about as compelling as that one. They take you down very strict roads that don’t have a lot of room to maneuver, and they’re all very standard genre fare with few surprises.

still, sounds like it might not be as bad if you're just sorta free-styling and not trying to follow the mission stories?[/spoilers]

Hitman 2
    I was fine with the storytelling objectives in the suburbs, Mumbai, and castle levels. If Hitman 3 goes even deeper on those, I can imagine how those might feel restrictive.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
  • Options
    honestly i usually don't follow the mission stories anyway, or i'll partially follow them just to get close enough to pull off a kill

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I'm already on board with the very silly story enough to be railroaded my first couple runs through a level but that review is good for people who are not

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    I'll play the mission stories once to see them but after that I'd only do them if they dovetail with whatever challenge I'm trying to complete

• Options

Polygon apparently really liked the stories, so waypoint/vice seems like an outlier.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Waypoint writers as a whole tend to prefer when systems drive gameplay and making your own story to scripted events.

I love their commentary but rarely agree with their reviews.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I'm already on board with the very silly story enough to be railroaded my first couple runs through a level but that review is good for people who are not

Yeah, my first time or two through a mission I actually enjoy being guided through the special setpieces they've made.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I've seen some reviewer who said that the story for 1 and 2 just existed and they regarded it as white noise to get them to the next playground, and in this one they actually care about it. So I guess they're doing something right?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

I am looking on EGS and it doesn't look like you can even buy Hitman 2

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I’m fine with some of the story-driven stuff, I find it fun and compelling to get to the end of one and see just what goofy way I’m going to end this target this time

I’m also cool with missions being more tightly structured around the broader overarching narrative, and the wrinkles those include from time to time

But I must admit, some of the most fun I’ve had in these new generation of Hitman games is in being given a briefing, dropped off at a big location, and just being told “kill these people.” I rarely enjoy the additional objectives like “destroy the virus” or “find the evidence” or “get to this location” because those feel constricting and funnel me into the one or two ways I figured out how to do them

But it’s okay, because thanks to the contracts feature, I can still play those maps with user made targets! So it’s kind of a wash

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

A even laster minute update says "We can guarantee that players will NOT need to repurchase the games.".

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »

A even laster minute update says "We can guarantee that players will NOT need to repurchase the games.".

Hitman 2's levels will be available in hitman 3 if you don't own it anywhere through a dlc "Access Pass"

If you do own Hitman 2 on steam, you don't need to pay for that access pass but it's gonna be a bit before it's available for free.