As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WandaVision] Yakety Yak! Open Spoilers!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The first blip of color I noticed was the toaster advertised in the first episode. The only connection I could make was the toaster was a Stark Industries product, and the red light was basically Iron Man red. After that it was the helicopter, the cut hand, and then eventually the full-color hit.

I'm actually impressed with two things. Just how dedicated they are to "classic TV sitcom" angle, and the fact they don't seem to mind letting this all unpack slowly. Obviously the setting of the "show" progresses with the arc of the story, but whose story is it? Wanda seems to able to steer it, but Vision definitely has input as well. And what does "progress" mean in the context of the story? So far it seems like the timeline progresses as they become more like themselves; they seem to kinda start with the 50s-style perfect couple thing as their archetype but are already some 15-20 years down the timeline by the end of the second episode, complete with appropriate attire and furniture. They're also much more themselves at this point, with Wanda drifting well away from 50s housewife.

It's a bit too much of a slow burn, I think, but at the same time it's interesting to see an MCU property that isn't just about heroes smashing things.

My big bet is that this is less a "simulation" than Wanda using her mind control juice to try and get Vision back, except the damage is so extensive that it's dragged both of them into Vision's mind as they piece him back together. When we see the lab stuff at the end of the episodes, that's the two being monitored by SWORD on the Skrull-built space station that Fury heads up.

All total conjecture at this point, but the show doesn't seem to have any problem keeping the details to itself.

The toaster also used the Repulsor sound when the toast was loaded in.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Hevach wrote: »
    The second episode was doing funky things with color. Even before the big change when they're watching the beekeeper there were hints of color creeping into the shot. Really just trippy.

There were also little cracks in the sitcom facade each time, more modern sound mix and camera movements, subtle but added to the disconnect of those scenes.

It's not really like watching an old sitcom, it's more like an SCP Wiki page on a creepy unreal sitcom that plays out different every time you rewind the tape.

The entire style of the camera shots was markedly different between episode one and two. Episode one were the wide shots of early TV where (IIRC) stuff was shot live because there wasn't a great way to record TV stuff. The second episode had like close ups and stuff that were more common after shows were shot to tape and you could do multiple takes and stuff.

Again, IIRC as I'm not a film buff or anything but I think that's meant to be an intentional thing.

Yeah each episode is totally paying homage to the visual style of different sitcoms. The Dick Van Dyke show is obviously the biggest influence so far, but also Wanda's powers are very I Dream of Jeanie and then ep 2 has more of a Jeanie visual style too with outdoor scenes.

edit: rewatching ep 1 now, and the only time they really cheat with the camera is when the boss starts choking. Which feels extremely purposeful, as the illusion of the world is crumbling and things are getting creepy. Then as soon as normality is restored the cinematography is as well

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Wanda's defintely in control. Every time something breaks from the TV sitcom reality is when she's distracted. This is most noticeable in the second episode with the radio and Emma Caufield's character questions who she is.

Agnes is definitely in on everything and is purposely trying to keep her from fully questioning everything. She also really wanted Wanda to fuck Vision and have kids.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Cross post from the MCU thread:

SO MUCH OMINOUS FORESHADOWING

S.W.O.R.D. logo! And beekeeper..AIM?

Possibly?

But my first thought?
    sx89jnx3f6an.jpeg

SWARM! The Nazi made of a swarm of bees. Especially considering the Strücker / HYDRA watch commercial in the same episode

.... if we see the introduction of Spiders-Man, the MCU can just be launched into the sun.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Noticed the Cabinet that's part of their magic act has the Soul Stone on it

A few nods to the avengers in the animation intro

And yeah I noticed after the "break" moment in the first episode, it went from multicam sitcom to a single cam style. Also, the set randomly changing between episodes.

I really do hope they keep doing the fake commercials tho

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    This might be a stupid question, but if Wanda was in control, wouldn't she also bring her brother back?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So people keep saying sitcom parody but I think that’s not the word I’d use.

They are playing the sitcoms pretty straight and doing a great job of it. The jokes aren’t “can you believe how silly sitcoms are” they are jokes of that type of sitcom but in the framework of Wanda and vision

Wanda using real magic to make visions powers look like fake magic
    is just really clever funny stuff

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Not sure on the exact significance of the second ad break, but the Stark powered 'twin toaster' - oof!

"...the second shell hits. But it doesn't go off. It just... sits there in the rubble. Three feet from our faces. And on the side of the shell is painted one word."
    "Stark." "

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    McFodder wrote: »
    Not sure on the exact significance of the second ad break, but the Stark powered 'twin toaster' - oof!

"...the second shell hits. But it doesn't go off. It just... sits there in the rubble. Three feet from our faces. And on the side of the shell is painted one word."
    "Stark." "

The second ad break was for Baron Strucker and Hydra, who gave Wanda and Pietro their powers.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

"Stark." "

The second ad break was for Baron Strucker and Hydra, who gave Wanda and Pietro their powers.

She also straight rewinds time in that episode.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

"Stark." "

There was a part in the commercial where the toast was toasting for like, 2 seconds too long and it was just the camera on woman's face as she got increasingly uncomfortable until it dinged.
    It was very good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    The second episode was doing funky things with color. Even before the big change when they're watching the beekeeper there were hints of color creeping into the shot. Really just trippy.

Okay so it wasn't just me? I swear the scene at the pool with Dottie had some weird color thing going on.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    I was going back and watching the commercials (cause there was something said about the commercials being significant).

The 2nd also has prison bars in the background, and the ticking keeps getting faster and faster The time was set to 2:42 (not sure if its relevant but I noticed that)

So it seems like the commercials are replaying her history? first with the stark toaster/stark bomb, then with the hydra prison and getting powers

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I watched the two episodes as soon as they came out, and I really enjoyed them. It's kind of refreshing to have something so different in the MCU. I think I'm going to have to watch them again to see if I pick up on anything else on a second viewing.

It's a bit slower than your usual Marvel fare, and it is even a bit creepy at times. I personally love it, but I can understand if it isn't to everybody's taste.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    First time I watched the toaster gag I didn't see the stark logo at first so when he said who made it I literally lol'd

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Ill admit first time i saw the toaster commercial it didnt even OCCUR to me that the light was in color at the time.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »

There were also little cracks in the sitcom facade each time, more modern sound mix and camera movements, subtle but added to the disconnect of those scenes.

It's not really like watching an old sitcom, it's more like an SCP Wiki page on a creepy unreal sitcom that plays out different every time you rewind the tape.

The entire style of the camera shots was markedly different between episode one and two. Episode one were the wide shots of early TV where (IIRC) stuff was shot live because there wasn't a great way to record TV stuff. The second episode had like close ups and stuff that were more common after shows were shot to tape and you could do multiple takes and stuff.

Again, IIRC as I'm not a film buff or anything but I think that's meant to be an intentional thing.

Yeah each episode is totally paying homage to the visual style of different sitcoms. The Dick Van Dyke show is obviously the biggest influence so far, but also Wanda's powers are very I Dream of Jeanie and then ep 2 has more of a Jeanie visual style too with outdoor scenes.

edit: rewatching ep 1 now, and the only time they really cheat with the camera is when the boss starts choking. Which feels extremely purposeful, as the illusion of the world is crumbling and things are getting creepy. Then as soon as normality is restored the cinematography is as well

Its not 1:1 but the house layouts are from Dick van Dyke and Bewitched specifically.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Best use of this meme I've seen in awhile

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    The repeated "For the children" chant in ep 2 was giving me some Hot Fuzz vibes. Very cultish.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Best use of this meme I've seen in awhile

Mods! I’m being attacked!

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    The repeated "For the children" chant in ep 2 was giving me some Hot Fuzz vibes. Very cultish.

And yet it took me until like the third time it was said for the penny to drop that we haven't seen a single child. Such a good episode.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    If Wanda is trapped in a TV show, then maybe the main villain is Uatu?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Also, Agnes is clearly Doctor Octopus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCjSApp2o1E

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular

They are really, really, stretching the definition of "easter egg" in these.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    southwick wrote: »

We're dangerously close to "in this scene, a man says a thing, which is a reference to the Marvel character Man-Thing".

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

And yet it took me until like the third time it was said for the penny to drop that we haven't seen a single child. Such a good episode.

Also shes pregnant after the last chant. I wonder if the children specifically are the end goal here

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Holy shit why are the credits so long?

I like it otherwise though

Also I wonder how long they are planning to go with this sitcom theme. I grew up watching old nick at nite reruns so I love it but I suspect multiple seasons of this won’t quite work. Or maybe they are only
    planning the one season?

Neco on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    They absolutely nail the Bewitched/I Dream of Genie vibe.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    My assumption is each episode will go forward to more and more modern sitcoms?

All in the family? Cheers? Full house? Step by step? Seinfeld? Friends? The office?

What’s interesting to me is the office is super old... but I don’t know what would be a jump in sitcom style from 2000 to 2020

We stopped evolving as a species mid 2000!

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »

All in the family? Cheers? Full house? Step by step? Seinfeld? Friends? The office?

What’s interesting to me is the office is super old... but I don’t know what would be a jump in sitcom style from 2000 to 2020

Big Bang Theory time

• Options

Big Bang Theory time

Is there anything unique stylistically to that sitcom that would stand up compared to other eras? Seems like it’s just a standard laugh track multi cam show?

616610-1.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

End it at a parody of The Good Place

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

End it at a parody of The Good Place

Oh shit.

Good Place Finale:
    End with Wanda accepting Vision moving into the great beyond and finally letting him go.

I need to go buy all the tissues possible to prepare.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So you know how each of these commercials are references to get traumas? (The stark bomb, being experimented on by strucker). I bet that the whole thing collapses when they get to the thanos one

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    David_T wrote: »
    southwick wrote: »

We're dangerously close to "in this scene, a man says a thing, which is a reference to the Marvel character Man-Thing".

All of those X# Easter Eggs in Y videos are.
    They also tend to do the thing where they go "In the scene Bob said remember that time I was in the hit movie Movie Time" which is a reference to the movie Movie Time.
    No that's not an Easter Egg you dingus. Easter Eggs are hidden!

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    So you know how each of these commercials are references to get traumas? (The stark bomb, being experimented on by strucker). I bet that the whole thing collapses when they get to the thanos one
    WandaVisison is brought to you by Quicksilver Silver Polish

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    This might be a stupid question, but if Wanda was in control, wouldn't she also bring her brother back?

I can think of a lot of reasons for that. Biggest is that Wanda and Vision only seem to be aware of themselves inside the setting; they have no memory of how, when, or where they met, or how they even really got there. So they know their powers, know they aren't normal people, know they should be together, but don't know really anything beyond that. This only seems to crack in moments of stress when Wanda changes the "show", like she's trying to avoid reality. So her brother isn't there because show-Wanda just doesn't know she had a brother, and subconscious-Wanda doesn't want to think about him being dead.

Wanda also doesn't seem particularly aware that she controls the show. When she has Vision save his boss the first time, she's wierded out. When she rewinds from the beekeeper she again seems disturbed because she knows something odd happened, but she doesn't actually seem to know what she just did (like the rewind erased her memory of the rewind). And there's no telling what this place even is yet, so something like summoning a whole person, real or imagined, may be beyond what she can do there.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Married With Children?
    Vision as Al Bundy is where the illusion really starts breaking up for Wanda.

Bring in the rest of the Avengers and do a Brady Bunch take?

see317 on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Wanda as Scully and Vision as Mulder. Make me happy Disney/Marvel. Please.