As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Most Artisanal of Cozies [Artsy Farts and Crafty Asses]

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Cutting board I made for someone that should be going out shortly:
    OncjFvr.jpg

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I'm still trying to learn to do latte art
    etcgyoygw8fz.jpg

It's very hard!

Also this is I think the best picture I've gotten of that mini I painted
    41zwg0aoumdr.jpg

I like it better under this light. I can't wait to get my chaos knight figures from gw later in the month. also I named this guy. he's samsclub gunjeans now.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Got some lace-weight silk yarn for Christmas and holyyyyy balls I may not be cut out for work this small. I need magnifying goggles or something. Also probably metal needles at the right size -- this silk is immovable on bamboo

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I am now looking at airbrush starter kits on Amazon and am really tempted by this 100 dollar one but can't justify it until next month at the earliest.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I made my own walnut stain by boiling dried walnut husks for an hour and adding a bit of rubbing alcohol

I looks great!

9v3fwx5fsnnl.jpg

xbu7yk4u6epn.jpg

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Got some lace-weight silk yarn for Christmas and holyyyyy balls I may not be cut out for work this small. I need magnifying goggles or something. Also probably metal needles at the right size -- this silk is immovable on bamboo

Ooh, what are you making?

• Options
    Calica wrote: »

Ooh, what are you making?

I’m going to make a little scarf with the feather and fan lace pattern — not too tough in principle, other than the tininess! It’s a really nice rich metallic red

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Haven't finished much lately due to extremely hectic schedule but this came out pretty great apart from being slightly off-center. notdecupwmeo.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm working on a gorgeous test knit for my fave designer and it's for a summer top. I'm using this amazing bamboo/linen blend and it's just been a delight to knit with.

I'm looking forward to going back to my wool and silk blends, but I'm also living the hand of this fabric that I'm making. Can't wait to get this finished.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I'm working on a gorgeous test knit for my fave designer and it's for a summer top. I'm using this amazing bamboo/linen blend and it's just been a delight to knit with.

I'm looking forward to going back to my wool and silk blends, but I'm also living the hand of this fabric that I'm making. Can't wait to get this finished.

Ooh, post the link when it's done and you're allowed (if you don't mind, obvs)!

Calica on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oh definitely.

It's a v-neck top with simple lace panels down the sides. But might not be released for public sale until next year.

Same designer is going to be releasing a gorgeous tank top soon and I cannot wait.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I finished the thing I started a week or so ago. But it was a gift and I packaged it up for delivery before remembering I hadn't taken a photo, so I can provide no evidence that I did it.

My mum has requested I make her a hat for her birthday. I've found a pattern I like and predict I will have excess yarn so I'm going to attempt to make a pair of matching gloves as well.

I am pleased that I seem to finally have stuck with knitting/crochet, been working on something constantly since September and have completed 3 things so far. Considering I first attempted to learn to knit about 20 years ago and despite several tries never completed a single project until now.

Yet somehow I have a massive plastic tub full of yarn already and no idea what to use it up on.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    75% of the fun of knitting is going to the yarn shop

It’s been so long since I’ve been to my preferred shop, but I tell myself it’s because I’m still semi-boycotting them over drama (not mine) from years ago and not just because I have no money

And also they are probably not open right now

They have (or had) a big online presence. For a long time their original store was in a seedy industrial area right behind a dildo store. This was before I became a customer, I found that out later.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    @Radiation how much do your chopping boards cost?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Welp, just ordered yet more yarn, to do that hat and gloves.

Also more needles. Because even though I feel like I own a million needles, whenever I get a new pattern it seems to use needles I don't already have.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Tef wrote: »
    Radiation how much do your chopping boards cost?

It depends! But also I don't know! Maybe $50?
    I'll send you a PM.

Radiation on
  • Options
    If one or more of you could @ me maybe once every 3 days and tell me to stop buying vintage tools off facebook marketplace I'd appreciate it!

• Options
    @Xaquin Don't buy more tools!

But if you got a decent general hand plane you fixed up, I'd be interested.

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »

I have three hand planes (one I use quite a bit, one that is tiny and I've never used once, and one that I'm slowly refurbishing but have run in to two snags)

also, I've recently purchased two tools to restore (one for $120 and one for $35). The large one is an 1890s post drill by Silver Mfg. Co. (Model #666, how could I resist), and the other a Skilsaw Model 67 worm drive circular saw.

thank god the card catalog I'm restoring was free.

I'll post pictures soon of the before condition of all three!

• Options
    edited January 2021
    So in addition to my table saw, I'm currently restoring an old card catalog. It's solid walnut and brass

cb0giwm8d0ft.jpg

an 1890s post drill. I'll need to fabricate a new handle and buy a new chuck but that's no big deal

tpngxyswwp9m.jpg

and newly a Model 67 Skilsaw. Guessing it's from the 40s or 50s, but it's hard to nail down

hka6cbbpgc09.jpg

Xaquin on
  • Options
    But xaquin how about instead

You bought more hand tools?

I mean, have you bought a bench lathe or an Alaskan saw mill yet?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I have a lathe

but it's covered in hand tools .... I have a problem

if I had the land I'd have a sawmill absolutely!

• Options
    Oh hohoho my friend!

That’s the beauty of an Alaskan sawmill! It’s just a chainsaw with support bars. You can fold that sucker up and tuck it away!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    oh go buy a washer!

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Clearly you need more hand tools to help refurbish your hand tools.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    ffffffff

you're probably right

• Options
    Got back to the strugglebus of that sock I started months ago! Finished the heel and the cuff. Some frustrations: despite my best efforts, huge laddering on both sides of the magic loop. Also (relatedly?) I'm brutalizing that circular needle's cable -- it's developing kinks at a couple points.

If I can get the stored and provisional stitches back on the needle correctly, the foot should be pretty easy. And the yarn color is working out so that the foot will transition in fairly smoothly from pale red, then go to blue again. It's also got yellow and green in it but I think we might only get one of those towards the toe, if at all.
    7ntsqghirr63.jpg

• Options
    Got back to the strugglebus of that sock I started months ago! Finished the heel and the cuff. Some frustrations: despite my best efforts, huge laddering on both sides of the magic loop. Also (relatedly?) I'm brutalizing that circular needle's cable -- it's developing kinks at a couple points.

If I can get the stored and provisional stitches back on the needle correctly, the foot should be pretty easy. And the yarn color is working out so that the foot will transition in fairly smoothly from pale red, then go to blue again. It's also got yellow and green in it but I think we might only get one of those towards the toe, if at all.
    7ntsqghirr63.jpg

This is why I dislike magic loop. DPNs are much less scary than they look, I promise!

Or you can use two circular needles in a similar way, but avoid the stress (on the knitting and the cable) caused by the loop.

• Options
    Hm hm hm I should give those a try!

• Options
    orrrrr

you could look up the Chiaogoo sock needles that are circular minis with tiny needles i think they're 9" total circumference?

http://www.chiaogoo.com/circular/?SingleProduct=61

12", i stand corrected.

Also i've never had any ladder issues with magic loop on my Chiaogoo other than once and that was the wool and not the needles (baby camel/silk blend)

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Radiation wrote: »

I have three hand planes (one I use quite a bit, one that is tiny and I've never used once, and one that I'm slowly refurbishing but have run in to two snags)

also, I've recently purchased two tools to restore (one for $120 and one for $35). The large one is an 1890s post drill by Silver Mfg. Co. (Model #666, how could I resist), and the other a Skilsaw Model 67 worm drive circular saw.

thank god the card catalog I'm restoring was free.

I'll post pictures soon of the before condition of all three!

I bought a no 5 Stanley off Facebook this week, 80 dollars and was in great condition. (It wasn’t vintage though)

• Options
    Calica wrote: »

7ntsqghirr63.jpg

This is why I dislike magic loop. DPNs are much less scary than they look, I promise!

Or you can use two circular needles in a similar way, but avoid the stress (on the knitting and the cable) caused by the loop.

What causes that laddering? That looks similar to the cast on I used for those socks I did and I didn't get that problem. But they started in the middle of the sole instead of at the top so I don't know if that makes a difference?

• Options
    Laddering usually happens when the gap between two stitches isn't pulled tight. So if you've got good tension, even in the round, you might not get them.

Some yarn is better than others about making ladders than others. And vice versa.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    One thing I would recommend if you are a high-tension knitter is to spring for metal DPNs

I’ve had bamboo snap in the middle of a row and that is not a good time

Since laddering often occurs where the work goes from one DPN to another, a trick that can help with laddering is to move that transition point every so often.

For example if you’re working on 3 needles with 30 stitches each, switch to something like 28-30-32 for a few rows.

Just remember to switch back when you get to a part of the sock that requires precise math, like the heel turn and increases/decreases.

But what I generally do is just make sure to pull the yarn tight after two or three stitches on the next needle (NOT after the first stitch: it doesn’t really help, I’ve found)

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Laddering usually happens when the gap between two stitches isn't pulled tight. So if you've got good tension, even in the round, you might not get them.

Some yarn is better than others about making ladders than others. And vice versa.

Yeah, and in magic loop you have to fight it at the beginning of a row and the halfway point (where you switch needles, so it’s like the beginning) because that’s where the cable pulls hard against the first few stitches. Advice I’ve read is to really hold the cable close to the stitches, and pull tight the 2nd stitch similar to what knitdan was saying. I’ve had success with that on the crowns of hats, but similar to the lace, I’m just generally a lot less confident and agile working at sock scale so far

• Options
    I am a high tension knitter I think, probably because I am tense person in general

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    If one or more of you could @ me maybe once every 3 days and tell me to stop buying vintage tools off facebook marketplace I'd appreciate it!
    wait there are vintage tools on facebook marketplace??

... you ever have the feeling of being poised on an extremely dangerous precipice?

which reminds me, I went to a salvage/vintage warehouse on the weekend to get some kind of wall decoration thing to cover or hang over a wall plug that's in a stupid spot. Not feeling fussy, was vaguely thinking maybe an old timey lamp, but could also have been anything up to and including a decorative wooden parrot.

... well I came home with this

3ggu3p7fk46k.jpg

circa 1950, beautifully maintained, one belt drive and grub screw away from fully working condition (though I have a perfectly good sewing machine and this thing weighs a TON so I don't know that I'll bother bringing it up to spec right now).

It's unnecessary and pointless and I love it.
    (Never did get that lamp though.)

• Options
    Just remembered a question I had. The pattern I got for this hat calls for 2 sizes of needle. It says to start with the smaller size but never actually mentions when to switch to the larger. I assume it's when I'm done with the rib for the bottom of the hat and change to stockinette for the rest of it?

• Options
    Just remembered a question I had. The pattern I got for this hat calls for 2 sizes of needle. It says to start with the smaller size but never actually mentions when to switch to the larger. I assume it's when I'm done with the rib for the bottom of the hat and change to stockinette for the rest of it?

Yes.

Rib grows more than other stitches, so you want it to be a bit tighter, especially for a brim or a cuff.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Well since you asked... @Xaquin DON'T BUY MORE HAND TOOLS