Options

[Steam]-heim. Valhalla has no backlogs.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm 36, but I look 27. (Revlon Wind blowing)

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    God, making me feel like a kid in here with those ages.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    So, regarding the subject line up there, my actual GOTY is a 2018 game I just played in 2020 thanks to the pandemic.

Monster Hunter World/Iceborne. Magnificent.

Best 2020 game? C2077, Ori 2, or Hades, who knows?

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I really appreciated the "I'm flattered, but . . ." nature of Aloy's responses to basically everyone who seemed to express interest in her. Both because it's more than likely how I'd handle it, as well as the fact that it tipped me off to the folks who were starting to possibly see her as more than a potential friend.

I'm . . . very bad at picking up on other people's interest in me, even in video games. And usually uncomfortable with it, so I can really identify more with a character who just says "nope" even in a polite fashion.

It's notable that a person this doesn't happen with?
    Ikrie.

Make it happen Guerrilla, you cowards. So what if Aloy is going to the Forbidden West? She's a snow-ghost with no connections now she can go with Aloy if she wants to.

Did Ikrie actually express feelings for you? I never finished the final challenge at that hunting ground because I didn't have to and they weren't fun.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    So, question - I used to love sims 3 back in the day, I have all the expansions and played it a ton. I never really got into Sims 4 at all though much because I had other things going on when it was released.

I feel like messing with a sims game, is there any particular reason to pick up 4 and a couple of expansions or should I just reinstall 3 and maybe some mods?

Sims 4 is generally a matter of fewer things but more depth to them. The sims themselves have a lot more going on in terms of expression and how they feel than in past games. The DLC about adventuring in a foreign place only has one location but Jungle Adventures doesn't drag on like the way World Adventures did and what you can steal from the locals has more variety. Vampires and spellcasters are in their own smaller form DLC compared to being parts of a larger DLC in 3 but both are much more detailed especially vampires. The latter now grows in level with power usage and feeding and you choose new powers and weaknesses to gain with level.

The loss of the open world is one of the biggest changes but that thing was a performance and memory hog. Sims 3 neighborhoods are semi-open in that each lot lets you wander and explore around the area but can't walk from one end of a world to another. But one of the biggest changes related to that that I like is that the worlds are no longer totally split off. You'll see people from the settings added in expansions and game packs wander into the base game areas and vice versa. This has effects like being able to move from one world to another. The inability to do that in 3 led to things like the expansion that added a downtown area with apartments doing nothing if you didn't specifically start a game there which in turn would cut you off from the expansion area that had all the magic stuff.

There are features from 3 that I miss but I highly doubt I could go back if for no other reason than games now load in a reasonable amount of time.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I beat two games over the weekend and need some help on what to dive into next.

I beat Cyberpunk 2077 on my Street Kid play through (Judy Romance, Good ending (don't want to spoil anything)). I really enjoyed the entire game and only came across a couple of minor glitches/bugs. I am going to do the other two lifepaths at some point but I will probably wait until the start releasing more content, and fix some bugs, before I start them.

Gears Tactics was the other one I beat. I am an absolute sucker for turn based games like this and Gears Tactics shouldn't have worked, but it did. I'm actually shocked at how fun it was to play.

So now I am kind of floating in limbo on what to play next. I am still dabbling around with AC: Odyssey and Doom (which I think I am getting old because I can only play it in short bursts at a time). I'm not playing Doom Eternal until I beat doom and I'm not playing AC: Valhalla until I beat Odyssey. These are my current choices on what to make my full time game next:

Hitman 1 (I've owned it for a while but never started it)
    Immortals: Fenyx Rising
    Desperados III
    Watch_Dogs 2 (another one I've owned forever and played a little while)
    Wasteland 3
    Outer Worlds

HALP!

Fenyx. Definitely Fenyx. So good.

Outer Worlds is also quite good if you're looking for something more Fallout-flavored.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @Iolo let me know how it is. A good friend loves the board/card game.

@Cantido don't lie. The Farrah Fawcett hairspray does most of the work

• Options
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    So, question - I used to love sims 3 back in the day, I have all the expansions and played it a ton. I never really got into Sims 4 at all though much because I had other things going on when it was released.

I feel like messing with a sims game, is there any particular reason to pick up 4 and a couple of expansions or should I just reinstall 3 and maybe some mods?

"Jealous Deva" Wait for this instead.

Paralives, made by one dev but crowdfunding to hire additional staff for stuff like artwork and what have you.

Customisation demonstrated already blows anything The Sims has ever done out of the water. I'm hopeful it will compete against EA's grind, because fuck them for reducing Maxis to a husk of what it once was.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Paralives but also can't remember the last time I heard about any major updates to it.

That said, a smaller dev team means it's likely to only focus on some aspects of a game like The Sims. The base games always have been about the basic life simulation and building things but then add content that both further fleshes the life sim but also lets you mess with it to create different kinds of stories. Case in point, The Sims 4 with the vampire game pack is the best experience of being a vampire I've seen in a game. You're not on a grand adventure where your mana pool just happens to need biting people to replenish and that conveniently only takes place at night but instead figuring out how and where to feed each night while still having enough time to work on the skills you need to get promoted at work to pay off bills unless you want to live in a small shack. It's not hard per se but it does make being an undead immortal feel surprisingly hectic at times and makes you view building architecture from the lens of a vampire, e.g. a building with small rooms people tend not to crowd in makes for discrete hunting grounds but may not have as many targets as a more open space. You also get to see your non-vampire friends age and die which is a genre trope you normally don't see in video games.

Any game competing for the same space as The Sims is only going to vie for a part of the latter's domain given how expansive it is beyond the domestic life sim part.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Sims 4 is generally a matter of fewer things but more depth to them. The sims themselves have a lot more going on in terms of expression and how they feel than in past games. The DLC about adventuring in a foreign place only has one location but Jungle Adventures doesn't drag on like the way World Adventures did and what you can steal from the locals has more variety. Vampires and spellcasters are in their own smaller form DLC compared to being parts of a larger DLC in 3 but both are much more detailed especially vampires. The latter now grows in level with power usage and feeding and you choose new powers and weaknesses to gain with level.

The loss of the open world is one of the biggest changes but that thing was a performance and memory hog. Sims 3 neighborhoods are semi-open in that each lot lets you wander and explore around the area but can't walk from one end of a world to another. But one of the biggest changes related to that that I like is that the worlds are no longer totally split off. You'll see people from the settings added in expansions and game packs wander into the base game areas and vice versa. This has effects like being able to move from one world to another. The inability to do that in 3 led to things like the expansion that added a downtown area with apartments doing nothing if you didn't specifically start a game there which in turn would cut you off from the expansion area that had all the magic stuff.

There are features from 3 that I miss but I highly doubt I could go back if for no other reason than games now load in a reasonable amount of time.

Yeah. I.. actually installed sims 3 and its a bit hard to go back to. Its all a bit of a clusterfuck that I enjoyed at the time because I didn't have options for that type of game, but there's a lot of things that just don't hold up or are literally insane. Like that it literally recommends only loading two expansions at a time in the laucher because too many at a time will essentially make the game take 10 minutes to load and explode regularly. And this is not an insincere warning, even moved over to my ssd it takes forever. Or the crazy crap that happens to non-player sims, and that that can get fixed with mods but that adds even more overhead and instablity, which needs more mods to counteract, and etc.

It turns out that I had picked up Sims 4 some time in the past on some sale or free giveaway so I played around with the base game and outdoor adventures a bit. It does have some issues, but I picked up a couple of mods that seem to make the immediate issues I had better. Namely the MC controller mod that has some lite story progression elements ( Sims get pregs, move in when the population is low, elderly sims that aren't related to a player family get packed off to the old folks home at a certain age, etc), and the Meaningful Stories mod that seems to make some really good changes to the way emotions work. I'll see how that goes. I really want to wait for a sale to get some packs for it, but I may give in and get a Seasons + Parenthood + random stuff pack bundle, because those seem to be pretty core additions.

I thought the open world would be a hard thing to give up but I haven't missed it at all really.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So, just beat Fenyx Rising.

Great game. Letting my Uplay + sub expire next month but I'll definitely want to jump back in when the DLC shows up.

End-game/New Game + spoilers
    While I can understand why they probably weren't able to, I was kinda hoping that in New Game+ it would be Fenyx's brother telling Prometheus the story like they showed in the zinger, rather than Prometheus and Zeus.

"NOOOO! THIS IS WORSE THAN THE EAGLE!"

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Yeah. I.. actually installed sims 3 and its a bit hard to go back to. Its all a bit of a clusterfuck that I enjoyed at the time because I didn't have options for that type of game, but there's a lot of things that just don't hold up or are literally insane. Like that it literally recommends only loading two expansions at a time in the laucher because too many at a time will essentially make the game take 10 minutes to load and explode regularly. And this is not an insincere warning, even moved over to my ssd it takes forever. Or the crazy crap that happens to non-player sims, and that that can get fixed with mods but that adds even more overhead and instablity, which needs more mods to counteract, and etc.

It turns out that I had picked up Sims 4 some time in the past on some sale or free giveaway so I played around with the base game and outdoor adventures a bit. It does have some issues, but I picked up a couple of mods that seem to make the immediate issues I had better. Namely the MC controller mod that has some lite story progression elements ( Sims get pregs, move in when the population is low, elderly sims that aren't related to a player family get packed off to the old folks home at a certain age, etc), and the Meaningful Stories mod that seems to make some really good changes to the way emotions work. I'll see how that goes. I really want to wait for a sale to get some packs for it, but I may give in and get a Seasons + Parenthood + random stuff pack bundle, because those seem to be pretty core additions.

I thought the open world would be a hard thing to give up but I haven't missed it at all really.

As neat as the open world in 3 was at the time, there really wasn't a lot to see in most of that space. Focusing just on buildings and a good amount of area around them ends up capturing a lot of good parts of 3's world.

As far as mods go, you have the two really major ones IMO. There are two others that also add a lot to the people in general (Have Some Personality Please and Slice of Life) but currently have some bugs that need fixing.

Sales for DLC happen fairly often. The build-a-bundle offering is a decent one though. Seasons and Parenthood add the most general additions to the game (though admittedly I haven't played families since The Sims 2 so I don't get as much out of Parenthood). Seasons actually has some interactions with other DLC such as vampires being able to go outside on cloudy days. Everything else is either pretty focused on some aspect of the game you may or may not engage in. The various stuff and game packs can be a bit hit or miss (though game packs the past few years have generally been pretty solid) but the expansions are all pretty well done minus Get To Work which was the first expansion that's been superseded by others since. After over a decade of asking to be able to follow sims to work, it turned out that having to do required tasks repeatedly for work wasn't that much more fun in a game than in real life. Other content since then has had better interpretations of hands on jobs.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Streaming Outer Wilds (not Outer Worlds yet) and playing Haven via Remote Play have been a hit with the girl I'm dating.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    So, regarding the subject line up there, my actual GOTY is a 2018 game I just played in 2020 thanks to the pandemic.

What do you consider the coolest weapon, and why is it the Gunlance?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    With the game music posts on the last page I wanted to share something I learned this year. Zombie Nation's Kernkraft 400 actually comes from a Commodore 64 game called Lazy Jones. Though the name might not be familiar, if you've been to or watched a sporting event you'll know this one. Kicks in at about 45 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIGC3HuTztM

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Horizon Zero Dawn Continues! I just got to Meridian!
    No, you fools! You re-invented agriculture! Soon, you'll have CREDIT SCORES and CAPITALISM IN GENERAL!

Where does the water in the city come from, incidentally? Like, this mesa has GIANT WATERFALLS coming off of it. While there's a lot in this game that I'm cool with attributing to "the people who built the machines did it" (like the boars being non-hostile and not horrifically destructive), that's... a bit odd.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

Where does the water in the city come from, incidentally? *snip*

Well, actually.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Where does the water in the city come from, incidentally? *snip*

Well, actually.

I'm gonna stab you through the internet. Somehow.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    No, you fools! You re-invented agriculture! Soon, you'll have CREDIT SCORES and CAPITALISM IN GENERAL!

Where does the water in the city come from, incidentally? Like, this mesa has GIANT WATERFALLS coming off of it. While there's a lot in this game that I'm cool with attributing to "the people who built the machines did it" (like the boars being non-hostile and not horrifically destructive), that's... a bit odd.

I'm not sure if it's spefically mentioned, but the Not-Varengian Guard people (whose name escapes me) have apparently achieved a tech level of "Late Medieval with flashes of Steampunk" (one of the history books mention cannons being used in the liberation of Meridian) and are responsible for building most of the stuff there that doesn't fit the Carja's Iron Age aesthetic. So I'm guessing that in regards to Meridian and other inhabited mesas that they've managed to tap an aquifer.

For the "natural" ones I'm assuming it's the same thing that transformed
    Southwestern Utah
    into a rainforest.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    3dwrxvb7lwyc.jpg
    @Orivon gave me some head(s) via the last federation.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Is it wrong that I've been exploiting save-scums for some of the more "I know I should have won that so I will" dice rolls in Disco Elysium?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Foefaller wrote: »

I'm not sure if it's spefically mentioned, but the Not-Varengian Guard people (whose name escapes me) have apparently achieved a tech level of "Late Medieval with flashes of Steampunk" (one of the history books mention cannons being used in the liberation of Meridian) and are responsible for building most of the stuff there that doesn't fit the Carja's Iron Age aesthetic. So I'm guessing that in regards to Meridian and other inhabited mesas that they've managed to tap an aquifer.

Southwestern Utah
    into a rainforest.

There's a huge aqueduct going across the valley, taking water from the lake to the northwest. It empties into cisterns built inside the mesa which then feed the waterfalls that irrigate the farms below. It's all gravity fed, roman-level tech.

Aistan on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Is it wrong that I've been exploiting save-scums for some of the more "I know I should have won that so I will" dice rolls in Disco Elysium?

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but Disco Elysium is one of those sorts of games where sometimes the success rolls are actually worse than the failures.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but Disco Elysium is one of those sorts of games where sometimes the success rolls are actually worse than the failures.

I did notice that a couple of times so far...

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

I did notice that a couple of times so far...
    there are also a couple of fake rolls that can not be won.
    imo its a better game if you just roll with the punches, it can take you to some very interesting places.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

As neat as the open world in 3 was at the time, there really wasn't a lot to see in most of that space. Focusing just on buildings and a good amount of area around them ends up capturing a lot of good parts of 3's world.

As far as mods go, you have the two really major ones IMO. There are two others that also add a lot to the people in general (Have Some Personality Please and Slice of Life) but currently have some bugs that need fixing.

Sales for DLC happen fairly often. The build-a-bundle offering is a decent one though. Seasons and Parenthood add the most general additions to the game (though admittedly I haven't played families since The Sims 2 so I don't get as much out of Parenthood). Seasons actually has some interactions with other DLC such as vampires being able to go outside on cloudy days. Everything else is either pretty focused on some aspect of the game you may or may not engage in. The various stuff and game packs can be a bit hit or miss (though game packs the past few years have generally been pretty solid) but the expansions are all pretty well done minus Get To Work which was the first expansion that's been superseded by others since. After over a decade of asking to be able to follow sims to work, it turned out that having to do required tasks repeatedly for work wasn't that much more fun in a game than in real life. Other content since then has had better interpretations of hands on jobs.

MCCC is really amazing. I think I have it doing what I want it to do pretty much now. Some single moms but not exceedingly so , some gay marriage, some adoption... Its a lot to take in though, but it makes things feel a lot more alive than just having the whole world age out without doing anything.

One massively important thing I figured out was to set it to 100% import bin sims and then went and downloaded a bunch of decent looking sims from the gallery... Otherwise you get some real weird sims pop up from the random generator.

Edit: I may set it back to requiring marriage for pregancy and adoption though... I seem to be finding a hard time striking a balance between no one being a single mom and everyone being single moms. You can set a chance for “shotgun weddings” but if that goes too high that messes up my ratios for gay marriage and adoption.

Like what I really want is:

Most but not all pregnancies are between married sims

Most but not all young adults are single and childless

Most but not all adults are married with children, with a mix of straight and gay couples.

And that seems really hard to find a balance for, but if I sacrifice the first I could probably work out the other 2.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Foefaller wrote: »

Southwestern Utah
    into a rainforest.

There's a huge aqueduct going across the valley, taking water from the lake to the northwest. It empties into cisterns built inside the mesa which then feed the waterfalls that irrigate the farms below. It's all gravity fed, roman-level tech.

Yeah I finally found the aqueduct just now and was like AHA

The tech in this game is REALLY well thought out.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Just got into Children of Morta, I am enjoying it.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Looks like Valve have been fined a laughably (relatively) small amount of money for not cooperating with an EU commission investigating geoblocking game sales in the EU.

I assume they’ll have to stop requiring the Euroshield work internally for Europe at least.

https://kotaku.com/valve-capcom-bethesda-fined-9-5-million-for-geo-bl-1846096211/amp

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    That's pretty much 100% what's going to happen, you just need to look at the effect regional pricing had on reducing piracy in the first place.

Bonus outside chance : EU wide "Rich" prices that are higher than now because they supposedly offset the lost sales.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    That's pretty much 100% what's going to happen, you just need to look at the effect regional pricing had on reducing piracy in the first place.

Bonus outside chance : EU wide "Rich" prices that are higher than now because they supposedly offset the lost sales.

Would you be willing to bet money on the prices going down?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

What do you consider the coolest weapon, and why is it the Gunlance?

Close, it's the more useful cousin, the regular Lance.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

aahaha

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

For a lot of people in lower income countries I am willing to bet money that their pricing will drop to roughly 0% of what they are currently paying for games.

• Options
    HZD: At what point should I start Frozen Wilds? I'm level 30 now, and I'm very much the kind of person who WILL fuck around and avoid the main quest forever by just doing side quests and map stuff. I've heard some mixed things -- some people are saying that there's actually *more* lore if you do Frozen Wilds before finishing the main quest? something?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Geoblocking is kind of infuriating for just trying to get games in certain languages

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    How do online streaming video stores handle that sort of thing with movies in the EU?

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    HZD: At what point should I start Frozen Wilds? I'm level 30 now, and I'm very much the kind of person who WILL fuck around and avoid the main quest forever by just doing side quests and map stuff. I've heard some mixed things -- some people are saying that there's actually *more* lore if you do Frozen Wilds before finishing the main quest? something?

There's a point in the main quest that will take you very, very close to where Frozen Wilds starts. That's when I did it, and it fit in great.

edit: and yes, it adds to the end of the main quest.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Frozen Wilds is also a lot more difficult than the main game.

• Options

There's a point in the main quest that will take you very, very close to where Frozen Wilds starts. That's when I did it, and it fit in great.

edit: and yes, it adds to the end of the main quest.

Sounds good, I'll wait till the MQ takes me back that way, and in the meantime go back to map fucking (thank you, Gabe & Tycho, for coining that, because it's honestly pretty accurate)

This discussion has been closed.