Options

[Second Impeachment] Acquitted of Armed Insurrection | 57 Votes for Guilty

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    “Blame the managers” is not exactly the salve people are expecting it to be.

Yeah the managers are the ones who noped out on doing depositions, not the 50 assholes who did a show vote to say they were all about it.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Huh getting 57 votes makes it sting less but still I feel like the Dems are sending me a message that none of this is a big deal

I still feel gaslit

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    I just don't see how the party lost the trial? From my perspective they won it right from get-go with the video they showed, not to mention it's pretty fucking obvious to everybody who isn't already a card-carrying death cult member that he deserved to be impeached and convicted. Calling witnesses would have been about winning it harder in terms of the narrative. And they absolutely should have done so. I just can't get onboard with some of these takes and honestly I think they play into the hands of Republicans.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Why am I not surprised?

Trump has an insurrection, the GOP stonewalls and says they are going to fuck the Senate over by calling endless witnesses and prevent even more business then the already have and spiked the conviction.

And yet somehow the Democrats are the bad guys. I'm just stunned the take is that we should despise the Democratic Party. Its like fucking bizarre world.

Never underestimate our ability to undermine ourselves.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    The whole last minute witness thing was some kind of charade the managers pulled. They weren't ready to depose a ton of witnesses it was just a tool to get that one thing on the record, a thing they only learned about last minute through the fucking media.

Dem leadership absolutely had input in setting up the parameters of this impeachment, including the paucity of investigation and one week timetable of zero witnesses. But they weren't the ones setting up this last minute witness football.

My question would be how the fuck did they learn about this last minute, when there’s been weeks of talking about potential witnesses, including various figures who became iconic in the media who, learning that Donny wasn’t going to fucking save them turned on him and said they’d be willing to?

How the fuck do you get the job of being a manager for this process, and fuck up that badly? These articles passed how many weeks ago, they had how long to build this case, and yet... here we fucking are.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    The Democrats also lost in a big way because the GOP get to do this, now:

Well that was a waste of time.

Let’s get back to work.

Account is the Twitter account for Senate Republicans

They get to sweep this under the rug, normalize call to insurrection, paint the Democratic move for Impeachment as a do-nothing frivolity, and use that as leverage when they next obstruct.

In what world would this NOT have been the GOP response? You think they could have had such a knock-out slam dunk trial that the Senate GOP would be like, "ohhhhh yeah that's true, I'm glad we did this, insurrection is bad and we totally were responsible."

I generally agree with most forumers here on a lot of things so I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but the ire toward Democrats in all this is seriously misplaced.

Taximes on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Let’s get back to work.

They get to sweep this under the rug, normalize call to insurrection, paint the Democratic move for Impeachment as a do-nothing frivolity, and use that as leverage when they next obstruct.

What do you think would have happened if this had gone on longer?

I can't imagine a different response.

I mean I can imagine that there would be positive effects, I think calling a bunch of witnesses and using this as a thing to continuously stress how horrible the GOP is would have been useful.

But I think the GOP response the entire time would have been "what a waste of time" because that's been the response since the beginning.

Of the first impeachment.

A proper prosecution would have meant a media cycle of people giving testimony in Congress about hiding in closets from the president's supporters who were trying to murder them.

We'd have potentially hours and hours of soundbites of witness testimony to contrast with the way Republicans chose to vote to drive it through everyone's heads just how much proof they're willing to ignore.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Let’s get back to work.

I mean I can imagine that there would be positive effects, I think calling a bunch of witnesses and using this as a thing to continuously stress how horrible the GOP is would have been useful.

But I think the GOP response the entire time would have been "what a waste of time" because that's been the response since the beginning.

A proper prosecution would have meant a media cycle of people giving testimony in Congress about hiding in closets from the president's supporters who were trying to murder them.

We'd have potentially hours and hours of soundbites of witness testimony to contrast with the way Republicans chose to vote to drive it through everyone's heads just how much proof they're willing to ignore.

If youre going to impeach someone you know you cant convict the whole point is to get those witness testimonies they decided to pass on.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Raynaga wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Why am I not surprised?

Trump has an insurrection, the GOP stonewalls and says they are going to fuck the Senate over by calling endless witnesses and prevent even more business then the already have and spiked the conviction.

And yet somehow the Democrats are the bad guys. I'm just stunned the take is that we should despise the Democratic Party. Its like fucking bizarre world.

Never underestimate our ability to undermine ourselves.

The reason is because, as King put it decades ago:
    Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

We expect the GOP to be what they are. They’re a Neoconfederate fascist institution. They wield power to those ends.

The Democrats are supposed to be the bulwark against that, because they are the only other party we have that can be such, and they at least feign an interest in that, from time to time. And then when it counts, they miss the fuckin’ football

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    The whole last minute witness thing was some kind of charade the managers pulled. They weren't ready to depose a ton of witnesses it was just a tool to get that one thing on the record, a thing they only learned about last minute through the fucking media.

Dem leadership absolutely had input in setting up the parameters of this impeachment, including the paucity of investigation and one week timetable of zero witnesses. But they weren't the ones setting up this last minute witness football.

My question would be how the fuck did they learn about this last minute, when there’s been weeks of talking about potential witnesses, including various figures who became iconic in the media who, learning that Donny wasn’t going to fucking save them turned on him and said they’d be willing to?

How the fuck do you get the job of being a manager for this process, and fuck up that badly? These articles passed how many weeks ago, they had how long to build this case, and yet... here we fucking are.

...they didn't fuck it up. This is exactly what was going to happen from the start. It was a question of will they put the facts out effectively.

They did. Hell, they did it do well they convinced a Republican senator from fucking LOUISIANA to change his vote.
    This was the best we were going to get. Breathe.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

Let’s get back to work.

Yes, that's the positive effect I mentioned.

The response would have been "What a waste of time"

Like this is not the Senate Republicans being "given a chance" to do this, this is just the same phrase to the word that they've been using every few hours for the past month.

I guess I can see the argument that this makes it easier to convince people it was a waste of time.

But then, I can see the argument that any extra time taken on the trial also makes it easier to do that. I don't know, I can't figure out what people are going to think about politics most of the time.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

...they didn't fuck it up. This is exactly what was going to happen from the start. It was a question of will they put the facts out effectively.

They did. Hell, they did it do well they convinced a Republican senator from fucking LOUISIANA to change his vote.

What do you consider witness testimony to be worth?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The Senate Republicans social media account saying this was all a waste of time is not an indictment of the people who made the case that Trump is obviously responsible for a thing he did on live television.

It's an indictment of the Senate Republicans.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

Read the CNN article, the managers had zero interest in lining up a ton of witnesses. It was literally in response to friday night news dump to get the one person on record about Trump and McCarthy's conversation.

Recall that leading up to the first impeachment dems did the best they could to actually build a factual case and it did jack shit in terms of polling. So right or wrong this time was just an emotional blitzkrieg that was meant to last about as long as what they think is the public's attention span.

• Options
    edited February 2021

I’m not going to settle for fucking “It was inevitable” here. None of us should

The former President of the United States incited a riot to assault congress! And was acquitted for it! And the people prosecuting the impeachment over that incitement to sedition, to overturn an election just fucking gave up when given the green light to enter more evidence into the record

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    The fascists have just been shown they only have to try harder next time, and that they won't be punished if they fail.

They will just try again until they succeed. Everyone needs to be prepared for a fully fascist America in our lifetime.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Changing a handful of GOP votes is meaningless. You really think those same senators won't fall in line if their vote might actually change the outcome?

I'm not sure what this achieved. We already knew how close the insurrectionists came to murdering political figures, even without the video.

What did this actually achieve?

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I was mad at first because I felt like the Dems teased calling witnesses to prove how uncaring and hostile Trump was about his insurrection and that had maybe a hail mary chance to flip enough Republican votes to convict him, and then didn't do it.

Raskin is having a press conf right now and he says that Mitch decided that regardless of all the evidence he was going to vote to acquit because he thought it was unconstitutional to impeach a former President. No amount of witnesses was going to change Mitch or enough other Republicans minds on that issue.

I think that given that situation dragging this out and smearing Trump doesn't hurt the GOP in the long run and it doesn't help with covid and all the other issues that need help right now. It will eventually start to backfire and Trump was always going to get away with it. Make the assholes vote, get it over with and get on with fixing this country.

• Options
    edited February 2021

Nothing.

Everyone knows what happened. The folks who witness testimony could influence are already there. The folks voting to acquit would vote that way no matter what.

You get the facts out there, take the loss the system forces, then you fix the fucking country. The rest takes care of itself.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    You can’t keep blaming Republicans for shit when the only people who have the power to stop them keep letting them hurt the country.

At some point, the inaction, the failures, the dithering and the constant extensions of faith towards the GOP on the part of the Democrats has to fucking mean something more than “GOP Bad, oh well”

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Everybody knowing what happened isnt the same as everyone hearing testimony from terrified staffers.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Nothing. Everyone knows what happened. The folks who witness testimony could influence are already there. The folks voting to acquit would vote that way no matter what. You get the facts out there, take the loss the system forces, then you fix the fucking country. The rest takes care of itself.

So you don't think there's any value of getting information on public record?

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I am more and more angry that elected Democrats feel the need to not force witnesses....why?

I do not give one flying fuck if we forced Pelosi or whoever to answer some uncomfortable questions. That's not important. What's important is we get every person involved in this failed coup d'etat to answer questions on the record.

It's been more than a month since an armed group of assholes paraded a gallows and fucking Confederate flag through the capitol building without any answers as to what happened.

None of the parties responsible for this violation are going to be held accountable and I can't think of a better example of the Democratic Partys constant weakass bullshit than that.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    A month ago we thought there would be one, maybe 2 republican votes to convinct.

Three days ago we thought maybe 6 at most. We got 7. That's not nothing.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    A month ago we thought there would be one, maybe 2 republican votes to convinct.

Yes, it is.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    zmu2b647vwan.png

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    I hope Ted Lieu gives us a post mortem of this and the rationale behind the team's decisions

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Everybody knowing what happened isnt the same as everyone hearing testimony from terrified staffers.

Exactly. This was a chance to take public opinion and beat the fascists in the face with it.

It was missed, and we'll all pay for it dearly one day

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

Point spread doent matter

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

It still failed.

Donald Trump is Acquitted and can run for president again, and rally his base to the cause that the Democrats “unjustly” persecuted him and all the other assorted nightmares he’s sure to start spewing within the next few weeks over this.

It is, in all practical terms, nothing. Because their votes did not make any change in the systems governing our lives in any way, and their party is already celebrating the acquittal of their king.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

Point spread doent matter

Then why even show up if the outcome is predetermined? The time could have been used on other things.

In fact, just cede everything to the GOP.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular

Let’s get back to work.

And when a bunch of the shithead rioters go to court and tried for their crimes. We'll have those testimonies and records anyways because more than half of these fuckers haven't been shy about saying they did it on Trump's orders.

• Options

Which would change absolutely nothing. The folks who would hear it (congress and voter both) have already seen video, audio, transcripts....its clear as fucking day.

What world do you live on that you think these people would be impacted by it at all?

• Options
    edited February 2021

Nothing. Everyone knows what happened. The folks who witness testimony could influence are already there. The folks voting to acquit would vote that way no matter what. You get the facts out there, take the loss the system forces, then you fix the fucking country. The rest takes care of itself.

So you don't think there's any value of getting information on public record?

No, I'm saying the information already is on the public record. You can see the public record on this from space.

Raynaga on
  • Options

Which would change absolutely nothing. The folks who would hear it (congress and voter both) have already seen video, audio, transcripts....its clear as fucking day.

What world do you live on that you think these people would be impacted by it at all?

We cant keep complaining about media narrative on this board if the game isnt even going to be played.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

This kind of first down mentality is completely lost on me.

NONE OF THIS MATTERS IF THE CURRENTLY ELECTED DEMOCRATS KEEP TELLING US TO WAIT FOR JUSTICE.

When does it end? I've been voting straight Democrat for nineteen years and donating money for races for ten.

And the DNC does NOTHING! LESS THAN NOTHING.

Why should I even bother anymore?

Fuck the democratic party

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Xantomas wrote: »
    Raskin is having a press conf right now and he says that Mitch decided that regardless of all the evidence he was going to vote to acquit because he thought it was unconstitutional to impeach a former President. No amount of witnesses was going to change Mitch or enough other Republicans minds on that issue.

I'm sure it's going to somehow be unconstitutional to prosecute Trump in the courts, too.

Amazing how the Constitution always comes down on the side of the President being a King, when the Americans had just fought a war to get rid of kings.

However, I'm fairly sure that Biden would get impeached if Hunter so much as makes a shady business deal, because the Constitution was apparently prescient enough to know that a party that wouldn't be created for 100 years after its writing, should get special dispensations.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Like I don't think this is as big a loss as some people do because 2 years is a long time and without a good VRA the house and senate are fucked anyway, but I don't see how this is in any way a win. It is at best a Not A Loss.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited February 2021

We cant keep complaining about media narrative on this board if the game isnt even going to be played.

My point is playing the fucking media narrative game is a losing proposition at this point that will change nothing and convince no one. Reminding folks what actual government looks like and making THAT the choice? That's something different.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

This kind of first down mentality is completely lost on me.

NONE OF THIS MATTERS IF THE CURRENTLY ELECTED DEMOCRATS KEEP TELLING US TO WAIT FOR JUSTICE.

When does it end? I've been voting straight Democrat for nineteen years and donating money for races for ten.

And the DNC does NOTHING! LESS THAN NOTHING.

Why should I even bother anymore?

Fuck the democratic party

Good luck with that. Really sticking it to those fascists by doing exactly what they would want you to do.

A little pragmatism would go a long way, here. In general.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone is arguing they shouldn't have called the witnesses, just that some of y'all are going a little too far in your reaction to their failure to do so. It's hard to know what the one brick is that would protect American democracy but I doubt this is the turning point historians will look back on and say "If only Democrats had pushed a little harder at the impeachment trial everything would have been different". If it's symptomatic of a larger malaise on the part of Democratic leaders, sure, but again... off-topic.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
This discussion has been closed.