Options

[Steam] Summer Sale: Don't look here, look over there!

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Drovek wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »
    Sometimes you're just trying to talk about a game.
    But you must always remember it's never 100% safe in chat.

3kfymw4dyirp.png

(Yes it does, but I still love you)

To think that this is a sequel to a game that came out 17 years ago.

I remember that, I played it!

I'm not old...

It creeps up on you. You think your still with it and then out of nowhere you hear some new song and it's all "back when I was your age" and "things these days" and the neighbor kids are on your lawn again.

Hevach on
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

3kfymw4dyirp.png

I'm not old...

It creeps up on you. You think your still with it and then out of nowhere you hear some new song and it's all "back when I was your age" and "things these days" and the sun kids are on your lawn again.

I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Windows Recovery?
    Windows 7?

Sadly my life is a blistering hellscape of stress, so i am driving it to my local shop to be repaired
    and cleaned
    and get windows 10 installed

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    From this month's Humble Monthly:
    NOTE: When redeeming Control via Steam key, users may see Control Ultimate Edition in their Steam library and during installation. Please disregard the Ultimate Edition title as the Steam key will only grant Control Standard Edition.

Seems kinda lazy. Is either DLC pack worth it? Also, I heard Control was a semi-sequel to the Alan Wake games, would it be beneficial to play those first, or is it more of a shared universe thing?

• Options
    🤦🏾‍♂️ family in the wind with my car. Guess I will do in the morning.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    From this month's Humble Monthly:
    NOTE: When redeeming Control via Steam key, users may see Control Ultimate Edition in their Steam library and during installation. Please disregard the Ultimate Edition title as the Steam key will only grant Control Standard Edition.

Seems kinda lazy. Is either DLC pack worth it? Also, I heard Control was a semi-sequel to the Alan Wake games, would it be beneficial to play those first, or is it more of a shared universe thing?

The DLC is good, but you should play the game first to see if you like it before buying it. It's more Control.

It is a shared universe but it only becomes relevant in the second DLC.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Windows Recovery?
    Windows 7?

Sadly my life is a blistering hellscape of stress, so i am driving it to my local shop to be repaired
    and cleaned
    and get windows 10 installed

Just in case, if you have your win7 key you can upgrade to 10 for free. In case they want to charge you for a key at the shop or something.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »

3kfymw4dyirp.png

I'm not old...

It creeps up on you. You think your still with it and then out of nowhere you hear some new song and it's all "back when I was your age" and "things these days" and the sun kids are on your lawn again.

I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.

TLDR: Memento Mori

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    After multiple abandoned attempts since it was in very early access, finally finished Subnautica.

A pretty damn great game that. Always got freaked out by the big stuff you run into later in the game. Feels good to finally finish a playthrough.

Picked up Below Zero about 5 minutes after finishing. Ready to see a similar adventure with fresh eyes this time.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I beat the first PC game of the year last night (and quite honestly the first PC game beaten in more than a decade other than hidden object games and the Room series). My friend gave me Ori and the Blind Forest (and the sequel) as a birthday present last year. Was not too sure if I would ever beat it since I suck at jumping. Absolutely SUCK! So I got through the first few areas fine jumping and dying all over the place then got stuck and flipped it over to Easy to beat it. Luckily I managed to do it last night and that was a fun game to play. Now to beat the sequel.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    After multiple abandoned attempts since it was in very early access, finally finished Subnautica.

A pretty damn great game that. Always got freaked out by the big stuff you run into later in the game. Feels good to finally finish a playthrough.

Picked up Below Zero about 5 minutes after finishing. Ready to see a similar adventure with fresh eyes this time.

Agreed. It took me a long time to be brave enough to venture into deeper waters.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    I have the whole Easter off but nothing to play. Any game recommendations for somebody who likes turn-based tactics, all sorts of RPGs and looter shooters? I've pretty much played (or tried) all the usual suspects, except things like BG3 since I don't want to play big story-based RPGs before they are done.

This would be so much easier if I was iolo, I could just start another Battletech career run. But 500 hours of that has been enough for me for now at least.

• Options
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/creature-in-the-well. Free till tomorrow morningg

Also
    https://youtu.be/MAJE2kEC5Gw

Pharaoh pharaoh let my people goooooooo!

THUS SAITH THE LORRRRRD

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    I have the whole Easter off but nothing to play. Any game recommendations for somebody who likes turn-based tactics, all sorts of RPGs and looter shooters? I've pretty much played (or tried) all the usual suspects, except things like BG3 since I don't want to play big story-based RPGs before they are done.

This would be so much easier if I was iolo, I could just start another Battletech career run. But 500 hours of that has been enough for me for now at least.

Have you tried Fae Tactics? It's a fun little FFT-style game, I had some fun with it.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »

Have you tried Fae Tactics? It's a fun little FFT-style game, I had some fun with it.

Not yet - it's on my wishlist. Might be an option.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

One I liked a lot, though it's a bit straightforward, is 'Tahira, Echos of an Astral Empire'. It had some distinctive mechanics and generally well-designed levels.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

One I liked a lot, though it's a bit straightforward, is 'Tahira, Echos of an Astral Empire'. It had some distinctive mechanics and generally well-designed levels.

You have good taste in turn-based tactical games!

Armored Princess and the other King's Bounty are good fun. You've played most of those. :)

Looks like you're aware of Bionic Dues, a wonderful turn-based roguelike hiding in mech combat clothing. Very satisfying, although maybe less tactical than some of the other choices.

It looks like you've tried a representative sampling of the modern XCOMs and, at least based on Steam playtime, they didn't hook you at the time.

I was going to suggest the Divinity: Original Sins games, but it looks like you are well aware of their delicious turn-based combat.

Anything you haven't played?

Wintermoor Tactics Club is not super deep, but it is fun, incredibly charming and well-written, and does not overstay it's welcome.

Xenonauts replaces BATTLETECH's towering mechs for squishy, fragile humans. Lots of the same satisfaction from upgrading troops and gear, though. It's available for the price of a sandwich on GoG right now.

Gears Tactics is better than it has any right to be - very polished gameplay. It does get a bit repetitive, but it's very satisfying to find fun OP options lurking in the game (like grenade spam scouts <3 ) Was on gamepass at one point and may still be?

Phoenix Point is a perfectly competent XCOM, although I drifted away after about 15 hours.

@durandal4532 has been extolling the grognardy appeals of Shadow Empire over in SE++ and looking for someone to play and give impressions. You could be that person!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    I've actually already finished Gears Tactics on Xbox Game Pass, a lot cheaper that way than to buy it for 60e. It was indeed great and my Tina "Bomber" Tiny scout did toss a lot of grenades.
    Xenonauts probably has the same issue as XCOM games do for me - I don't like to be hurried by inevitable doom. I also tried Phoenix Point on the Game Pass, didn't much care for it (my heavy weapon guy didn't hit anything in the first three combats, I lost some people and couldn't figure out how to recruit more etc).

While we are on the topic of tactical games, I finished that Druidstone: the Secret of Menhir Forest you gave me. Had a lot of fun with that, thanks again!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/402310/discussions/0/3068614788761423239/

Apparently the devs of Overfall sold a bunch of Steam keys to a publisher that never paid, but turned around and sold all of those keys to third-party retailers. The devs decided to respond to this by... revoking every Steam key.

Over 2 years later.

There's a form in the post to request a new key if anyone got hit by that.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Apparently the devs of Overfall sold a bunch of Steam keys to a publisher that never paid, but turned around and sold all of those keys to third-party retailers. The devs decided to respond to this by... revoking every Steam key.

Over 2 years later.

Bold move

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

Gears Tactics. There's always something new to equip on your turn-based meatheads and the combat is really satisfying. Jump straight into Jacked mode if you can since it's the same story just with a cool support-ability-laden robot buddy.

Also, invest in a scout early. They're absolutely bonkers for blowing stuff up (and you absolutely want to blow stuff up - there is no XCOM-esque "I used the most efficient attack" penalty).

EDIT: just saw your earlier reply. I'm leaving this though as other people should play it and have a grand time blowing up Locust, too!

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Over 2 years later.

I feel like the proper action here is a lawsuit, not screwing with your users.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Turn-based tactical RPG?

Have a look at Blackguards! (I would get a link but I'm on a work PC so....)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Ooooh, so that;s what happened with Overfall - I had a weird message about it being revoked due to a problem with my payment method. Went scrolling through my purchase history which...took a while *coughs*...and nothing. So guessing it was a gift and had somehow been revoked.

And having now gone through everything, yep turns out it definitely was a gift.

Also, semi-related, why doesn't Steam have the ability to let you search your purchase history? Making me scroll all the way back through my entire gamut of guilty additions to my backlog was...certainly a thing I have now done.

mori1972 on
    It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    mori1972 wrote: »
    Ooooh, so that;s what happened with Overfall - I had a weird message about it being revoked due to a problem with my payment method. Went scrolling through my purchase history which...took a while *coughs*...and nothing. So guessing it was a gift and had somehow been revoked

I ended up going into my Fanatical purchase history and found in in bundle there so that might be where it came from for you. To be fair, it sounds like the issue is not with Fanatical but with a publisher who promised to pay after-sales. Probably the publisher sold the keys to 3rd party sites but never paid the dev.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions - ended up looking through a bunch of stuff while checking them out and noticed Outriders is coming to Xbox Game Pass and Octopath Traveller is already there so I'm just going to re-sub for another month. Advice can be helpful if it leads you to a different direction than any of the offered solutions. :P

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    @Mirkel - if you like strategy RPGs, I can't say enough good things about Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark. It has a fantastic job/class system on top of a solid battle system all for an indie price tag.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Revoking the Overfall keys as a punishment to the publisher doesn't really make sense if the publisher already got paid from selling the keys to Fanatical (which likely happened since we're talking about a bundle from around 3 years ago). Revoking the keys but then offering to give out new ones doesn't really make sense if it was a decision based on money lost, since they are still giving people keys for a game purchase that they claim to not have been paid for.

Ultimately it seems like they're just going to piss off a ton of their customers and probably torpedo sales of the sequel that they are right about to launch.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »
    Mirkel - if you like strategy RPGs, I can't say enough good things about Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark. It has a fantastic job/class system on top of a solid battle system all for an indie price tag.

I suspect Mirkel agrees with you...

IAA6xzI.png

:)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

I just started my first story in Wildermyth but I am liking it. Im going to have to play some more before i do a write up but I think I would recommend it as a tactical combat RPG where you can also affect the story.

It is in Early Access but it looks like you play smaller stories with different characters rather than having one long 50+ hour story.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    mori1972 wrote: »
    Ooooh, so that;s what happened with Overfall - I had a weird message about it being revoked due to a problem with my payment method. Went scrolling through my purchase history which...took a while *coughs*...and nothing. So guessing it was a gift and had somehow been revoked.

And having now gone through everything, yep turns out it definitely was a gift.

Also, semi-related, why doesn't Steam have the ability to let you search your purchase history? Making me scroll all the way back through my entire gamut of guilty additions to my backlog was...certainly a thing I have now done.

Yes, I also got this message. That game came from a bundle I ordered in... November 2018.

Regardless, one item on the backlog down!

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    looking for an SRPG? banner of the maid is on sale. it's an alternate history french revolution sprg with fire emblem style rock paper scissors

Jars on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    So with the introduction of the emotes from Outriders (available now!) there is now a :corrigan: emote in steam. I finally made it to the big times.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Transport Tycoon Deluxe inspired Open Source game OpenTTD is now available on Steam for free:
    header.jpg?t=1617283095
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1536610/OpenTTD/

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    So with the introduction of the emotes from Outriders (available now!) there is now a :corrigan: emote in steam. I finally made it to the big times.
    does it look like a chickenfish?

• Options
    MadicanMadican
    squints at Corrigan's post because April 1

No face Registered User regular
    squints at Corrigan's post because April 1

• Options
    edited April 2021
    an_alt wrote: »
    @Mirkel - if you like strategy RPGs, I can't say enough good things about Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark. It has a fantastic job/class system on top of a solid battle system all for an indie price tag.

Already played that and yes I agree, it is great.
    Jars wrote:
    looking for an SRPG? banner of the maid is on sale. it's an alternate history french revolution sprg with fire emblem style rock paper scissors

I've already played that too, heh. When you work 20 hours per week and have no kids or dogs or other distractions, there's a lot of time for games.

Looks like Xbox Game Pass let me buy Ultimate subscription for 1 euro even though I've tested both normal and ultimate in the past and have had full price normal subscription a few times. Kinda weird but I'm sure they can afford it.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    gotta go to the bottom of the barrel eh? alright, well, we have.. agarest, generations of war... and othercide, which looks cool as hell but the roguelike stuff doesn't work with an srpg, in my opinion. turns it into 'grind until you win!'

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    /me squints at Corrigan's post because April 1

https://store.steampowered.com/points/shop/app/680420

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
This discussion has been closed.