As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anime Thread R (The R Stands for Returns)

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Best friend.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Something I read about Gojo that I found fun was

Slight anime spoilers
    "Gojo already finished his anime, he's just teaching a new group of protagonist"
    Oh so JJK is Boruto

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    I finished up with the Jujutso Kaisen first season on the weekend and am torn.

I like that Toujou isn’t a brainless meathead of a bruiser despite looking like one.

But Toujou from Beelzebub is great because he is a brainless meathead bruiser type.

What I’m saying is the Toujou sweepstakes are up in the air and that’s high praise.

Toujou is still the number one Toujou, because in JJK his name is Toudou Aoi.

Both are pretty great though, I'll grant you.

Well that solves that problem in a best of both worlds way then!

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Something I read about Gojo that I found fun was

Slight anime spoilers
    "Gojo already finished his anime, he's just teaching a new group of protagonist"
    Oh so JJK is Boruto

No it’s good

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular

⚠️ A Public Service Announcement ⚠️
    If you see a manga that you want to read in a store (or online and that manga is "In Stock")
    You should buy it NOW 🔖🗯️
    The reprint situation is unexaggeratedly apocalyptic and you might not see that manga in stock again for months.
    ✌️

Tweet is from someone who seems to work in manga publishing.

I suppose I should finally pick up some dungeon meshi and way of the house husband.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Finally catching back up on the last few episodes of AoT starting with Savagery.

Boy, ain't nobody getting out of this one, huh?

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Oh right, final chapter of that comes out tomorrow, right?

• Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »

⚠️ A Public Service Announcement ⚠️
    If you see a manga that you want to read in a store (or online and that manga is "In Stock")
    You should buy it NOW 🔖🗯️
    The reprint situation is unexaggeratedly apocalyptic and you might not see that manga in stock again for months.
    ✌️

Tweet is from someone who seems to work in manga publishing.

I suppose I should finally pick up some dungeon meshi and way of the house husband.

Huh. Looking at the tweet chain.

Sales of manga have more than tripled from Q1 2020-Q1 2021 and there isn't enough printer capacity to keep even some midlist titles in stock.

That's pretty nuts!

• Options
    I dunno I've been behind. I had to take a break and decompress a little from it. Shit was way too real.

I imagine this is all gonna be one big cock tease. Like, we gotta wait for a final season part 2 and a movie I'd guess, if they haven't already been announced. I haven't really been following the news around it.

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    Apparently everyone pretty much universally seems to HATE how the author decided to end Attack on Titan (manga).

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Oh no the Mangapocalypse is very worrying news as somebody who renewed their manga collecting hobby recently.

• Options
    notya wrote: »
    Apparently everyone pretty much universally seems to HATE how the author decided to end Attack on Titan (manga).

The majority of those bitching are of the opinion that
    Eren is right

So I'm withholding judgement until I read it.

In other spoiler news, this week's one piece looks like *chef's kiss*

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    This is why I buy digital

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

Eren is right

I was reading reddit comments and they were of the opinion that eren and his motivations were just dumb dumb dumb. Also a lot of historia hate.

Personally I stopped reading 30-40 chapters ago. It just wasn't the same after they revealed some of the mysteries.

• Options

I haven't read the Manga but based on how things are going in the anime like, there is no good way this ends?

Out of an over abundance of caution I'm gonna spoiler this even though I'm not going to mention any actual plot points or anything that could really be a spoiler.
    It's enough that it ends I guess. I mean, I'm sure it's possible to fuck up the landing here but cheesy pete, all roads thus far lead to some real fucked up shit and it doesn't seem like there's going to be anything close to what I'd call a real conclusion.

The whole message here, as I read it, is "when you play at war no one's hands stay clean." Like, it feels extremely Soviet. You give everything to win one war and there's another waiting for you at the end. Whatever you gained from all that sacrifice is meaningless. The patriots are suddenly terrorists. The Enemies of yesterday are your allies and your allies are the Enemy. It's a futile and sadistic circle that's never going to resolve itself so long as man has schemes and plots, flags and armies to march behind them, and borders to draw on maps.

It's extremely bleak. The point is there isn't an end?

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Eren is right

I was reading reddit comments and they were of the opinion that eren and his motivations were just dumb dumb dumb. Also a lot of historia hate.

Personally I stopped reading 30-40 chapters ago. It just wasn't the same after they revealed some of the mysteries.
    I've only watched the anime but I looked at the manga a little and as soon as it started getting geopolitical I went uhhhh and stopped paying attention to it

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Hey remember how I argued that attack on titan facist imagery and messaging early on was in use of the anti facist messaging it was going for near the ending
    Lol no ends justify the means thank you eren for murdering 80% of the planet so we can look like heroes

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Actual spoiler stuff here though. Please make sure I have all of this right because I took a break and with a plotline this complex that may have not been a good idea.
    I am a little confused about the whole Eldian Euthanasia thing.

So, we know that weapons are progressing to the point that Titans are becoming obsolete. At the end of the day it's still just a big, meaty person and big, meaty people ain't shit compared to 155mm armor piercing artillery shells. The crux here being that once Titans are useless on the battlefield Marley will genocide the entirety of the Eldian population within its borders?

That's bad. So the solution here is to sterilize the populace of Paradis to keep the Titan gene from being passed down. Ultimately, Eldians will go extinct and take Titans with them. That... doesn't solve the impending genocide of the Eldians in Marley? Nor does it really track with the consensus of modern firepower overwhelming Titans. Yeah, you can still kill somebody with a musket, but nobody goes to war with muskets anymore.

Also, the only way Paradis can realistically keep itself safe is with the Rumbling and passing on the Founding Titan to Historia's kid. That weapon is only around so long as the kid is. Say he gets eaten by an alligator when he's 6 that's it. They have that natural zoom zoom gas and the precedent is already set that people want that shit.

So Eren and Zeke's plan is to use the Founding Titan to sterilize Eldians, thus removing the threat of Titans forever. Then they are going to... decimate Marley? Do they only care about the survival of the Eldians on Paradis? Isn't this just a form of genocide committed against their own people? At the end of the day, the actual threat Titans posed was dwindling, as such, so was Marley's Imperialism. They relied on the Titans for so long they fell behind in weapons R&D. It seems like the best course of action would be to just... wait it out.

Is that right? Have I forgotten anything important?

• Options
    The entire idea of the racism towards the Eldian is that any one of them can become a named titan and start the rumbling, ending the whole world

So the idea is hey if we ensure that no children cannot be born the titan power cannot be passed on, so the existing Eldians can just live out the rest of their lives and in a few generation its gone

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Maybe AoT is just... not good?

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    Hey remember how I argued that attack on titan facist imagery and messaging early on was in use of the anti facist messaging it was going for near the ending
    Lol no ends justify the means thank you eren for murdering 80% of the planet so we can look like heroes

That's....sigh
    I was REALLY hoping it wasn't that, but....

• Options
    Dee Kae wrote: »
    Maybe AoT is just... not good?

I honestly could not tell you.

Production and pacing wise it's fucking incredible.

Very rarely have I ever felt like I needed to watch the next episode of something.

The actual message on display? Eeeeehhhhhh

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    The release date of the chapter is April 9th; I don't know where you guys are getting this information

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    The release date of the chapter is April 9th; I don't know where you guys are getting this information

Release is 9th Japan time, it's the 8th there already, and magazines get printed and distributed early. Big releases like this frequently get spoilers leaked early.

They also get fake spoilers, so you can't necessarily trust them.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    and that's the line y'all, let's talk about something else for the next couple days before it's out.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    The art teacher I work with at my high-school got told to watch anime by a bunch of her students.

She's never really engaged with the medium and told the staff.

So now I am putting together a quick, short list for her.

I think I am going to try to make it 10 anime movies, with a variety of stuff, that she'd enjoy.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »

Basically all chapters of nearly everything get leaked to the internet and translated days before paying manga buyers can get it and it's been this way for as long as I can remember.

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    The art teacher I work with at my high-school got told to watch anime by a bunch of her students.

I think I am going to try to make it 10 anime movies, with a variety of stuff, that she'd enjoy.

How much of a nerd are they

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

What Ghibli movie(s) are going on the list?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I assume the students want to talk to the teacher about anime they've watched, so maybe use their repertoire as a base

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    AoT is good. Damn good.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

I don't think they are all that nerdy.
    Polaritie wrote: »
    What Ghibli movie(s) are going on the list?

I'm still making my way through them myself! But I don't want Studio Ghibli to dominate the list. I'm thinking I'll limit it to 3/10 movies on the list can be from that studio (or its respective creators).

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    The beast and the boy is real good but I feel like its not as entry level as ghibli

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    2012-11-09-Changing-Ones-Toon.jpg

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

You gotta have at least one of Satoshi Kon's movies on there.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    The beast and the boy is real good but I feel like its not as entry level as ghibli

for mamoru hosoda, maybe the girl who leapt through time or mirai for starters

summer wars is excellent but might be too much at once

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    What about Dragon Ball Super: Broly ?

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    is redline too much

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Grave of the Fireflies

sig.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    redline is probably a little too risque for high school, parents might get mad about boobs
    Oh wait for a teacher, not students. Hmm. Well that depends on their tastes.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.