As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Lego] Thread

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I went on a similar journey as adam last month, I still have a whole big plastic box left because it was like 2 weeks of all my free time to just get the boxes to colors.

I actually have a flat file in my garage so I'm wondering if I should build some shallow boxes like the art bins he bought and put them in there.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Built these three sets with my son over the last two weeks:
    mitookuq4q59.png
    The plane and the satellite mission shuttle were an absolute pleasure to build. But that Nissan car can go right to Lego hell. It has sooo many stickers, which I can never place properly, and is comprised of about 75% small bricks. Satan help you if you misjudge the placement of any one tiny brick, or lose even a single one. My son lost interest in building the car almost immediately, but he adores the end result. We have a second race car waiting in his closet, I asked the wife to find the receipt so we can maybe get a refund and buy Luke Skywalker's X-wing instead.

Hah. That Nissan set actually had a coworker call me to come check out the build and fix it for their kid. And ya, I've built 4k+ piece modulars and never had as much difficulty as I did finishing that Nissan

I need to pull mine back out and rebuild it again since I didn't remember it being that difficult. The stickers on the other hand yeah I hated putting those on straight

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    mitookuq4q59.png
    The plane and the satellite mission shuttle were an absolute pleasure to build. But that Nissan car can go right to Lego hell. It has sooo many stickers, which I can never place properly, and is comprised of about 75% small bricks. Satan help you if you misjudge the placement of any one tiny brick, or lose even a single one. My son lost interest in building the car almost immediately, but he adores the end result. We have a second race car waiting in his closet, I asked the wife to find the receipt so we can maybe get a refund and buy Luke Skywalker's X-wing instead.

Hah. That Nissan set actually had a coworker call me to come check out the build and fix it for their kid. And ya, I've built 4k+ piece modulars and never had as much difficulty as I did finishing that Nissan

I need to pull mine back out and rebuild it again since I didn't remember it being that difficult. The stickers on the other hand yeah I hated putting those on straight
    After reading your comment I decided to build the Audi anyway. It was a lot easier than the Nissan, but that may be due to experience with the previous car and adjusted expectations. Anyway, it seems like these racers are purposely designed to use way more small pieces than the space sets I’m used to. Full disclosure my last set, prior to building with my son, was in the mid nineties. I think it was the Spyrius Saucer Centurion.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    mitookuq4q59.png

After reading your comment I decided to build the Audi anyway. It was a lot easier than the Nissan, but that may be due to experience with the previous car and adjusted expectations. Anyway, it seems like these racers are purposely designed to use way more small pieces than the space sets I’m used to. Full disclosure my last set, prior to building with my son, was in the mid nineties. I think it was the Spyrius Saucer Centurion.

The main problem with the Niassan build is all the pieces that lock down the build came last instead of intermittent, so the littlest jostling during build would immediately cause mis-alignment in a layer or two. A couple intermediate brace pieces should have been put in a lot of spots.

(A 1x3 instead of 3 1x1's side by side, etc)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Finally stopped procrastinating and finished the Razorcrest because I told myself I had to before I start on the space shuttle. Such a cool build! My cat remains unimpressed however.
    20210409_233550.jpg?width=801&height=601
    20210409_233529.jpg?width=801&height=601

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    How the hell does one build a LEGO set with someone? I may be biased because I have zero patience for group projects in general, but LEGO assembly seems especially unsuited to working with another person.

Unless by "build together" you mean "watch while my kid has all the fun."

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Calica wrote: »
    How the hell does one build a LEGO set with someone? I may be biased because I have zero patience for group projects in general, but LEGO assembly seems especially unsuited to working with another person.

A lot of sets have a pretty decent amount of sub-assemblies that you construct and then plug into the main model, and it can be kinda fun to divide up the sub-assembly tasks throughout the instructions and then put them all together.

Heck, when my girlfriend and I were working together on the Volkswagen Camper Bus, it actually came with 2 separate instruction manuals, and the second one was just the detailed subassemblies.

edit: You don't even have to share the instruction book if you use that app that scans the QR code and gives instructions. I haven't used that myself, but I hear it's great.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Seriously?

I build LEGO sets with my kids regularly. And no, it is not just watching while they have all the fun. Typically, I gather all the pieces for each upcoming step and they do the assembly. I keep an eye on what they're doing and correct them if I see a mistake being made. Together, we get it done much faster than either of us would have individually.

It is genuinely more fun, and more fulfilling, than building a set on my own.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Either one finds parts and the other assembles, or they switch roles every step

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Back in my youth when my brother, my dad or I would get a Lego set as a present we'd build them together. Whoever got the set would have the manual and call out needed parts to the other. We had a whole dictionary of our own names for pieces.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Seriously?

I build LEGO sets with my kids regularly. And no, it is not just watching while they have all the fun. Typically, I gather all the pieces for each upcoming step and they do the assembly. I keep an eye on what they're doing and correct them if I see a mistake being made. Together, we get it done much faster than either of us would have individually.

It is genuinely more fun, and more fulfilling, than building a set on my own.
    This is exactly what I do. It’s been a great bonding experience, even better than coop video games.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Age appropriate builds and choosing the correct build is key when working with children.

For example, my daughter loves Pooh but she's way to young at 3 to count out the uninteresting gray blocks for the street and base. But give her a basic duplo set and she's all about it

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    This mini-fig set I definitely want to get all the Looney Tunes

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Managed to snag the last Flower Bouquet set at our local Target. Was amazed to see it, actually.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    Are those Looney Tunes figures out now?

• Options
    Just finished the Hubble part of the shuttle, it's really rad. Unfortunately though, unless I made some sort of mistake building the stand, it seems like it's very precarious to balance. It keeps wanting to tilt the hinge backwards and fall over, unless I balance it perfectly, and then it feels like it wants to fall over if you look at it funny. I'll have to maybe rebuild the stand and see if I missed something, or figure out some way to lock the hinge in it.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Just finished the Hubble part of the shuttle, it's really rad. Unfortunately though, unless I made some sort of mistake building the stand, it seems like it's very precarious to balance. It keeps wanting to tilt the hinge backwards and fall over, unless I balance it perfectly, and then it feels like it wants to fall over if you look at it funny. I'll have to maybe rebuild the stand and see if I missed something, or figure out some way to lock the hinge in it.

I think you may have done it wrong. As far as I know it's not a pivoting stand. I had to rebuild mine. Pay extra attention to those pegs.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Yeah there is something wrong. My Hubble is rock solid on its stand unless you turn it all the way over.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Magell wrote: »
    This mini-fig set I definitely want to get all the Looney Tunes

Sylvester just getting carrying a baseball bat cracks me up

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Lego stickers should be outlawed. That is all

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Hmm noticed a set today in walmart that had a car with one of the old school , Pull back and let go and car go zoom, type wheels on it according to the box, but couldn't tell if it was one solid piece, or if adjustable to other wheels or whatnot.

Still want them, but if adjustable, I want a bunch!

Make my Mystery Machine and Landspeeders go vroom.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Just how badly askew is the one you stuck on?

• Options
    One of the several sticker sheets of the new Ninjago city section was cut slightly off, making is very annoying when putting the stickers on as they didn't have the nice even border around the edges to help align them. You can't tell once they are in place though.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Raiju wrote: »
    Rumor has it that Double VIP Points will be active the week of April 12-16. That just might make me pick up the Discovery Shuttle.

Looks like that rumor is true. Did you pick up the Shuttle Discovery?

Edit: Actually it is April 12 - 20.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Double VIP points... That 1989 Batmobile is staring at me.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Hmm noticed a set today in walmart that had a car with one of the old school , Pull back and let go and car go zoom, type wheels on it according to the box, but couldn't tell if it was one solid piece, or if adjustable to other wheels or whatnot.

Still want them, but if adjustable, I want a bunch!

Make my Mystery Machine and Landspeeders go vroom.

there are Technic pullback motors that you could put on most vehicles that use axels

2FFMVrMl.jpg
    wfjJlZC.jpg

Brolo on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Just how badly askew is the one you stuck on?

Burpette did the stickers and it makes me feel sick to look at the results

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I've never ordered off Lego.com - how often do backordered sets come back in stock? The wife and I really like the Tuk Tuk, so I signed up for a notification, but is it wishful thinking?

Also, the Looney Tunes ones are great, but I'm not a fan of Daffy with a Rabbit Season sign without Elmer Fudd to go with it. Seems like Petunia or Speedy could have been swapped out to have the trio of Daffy/Bugs/Elmer unless they are doing sets or a second series of minifigs. If they were to do a second round, I would also love an opera Bugs/Elmer combo. The interesting part is a few years ago, Looney Tunes was on the list of properties expected to be in the last wave of Lego Dimensions before its cancellation. It would have made total sense given it's a WB property.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Elmer and Yosemite Sam are both... problematic. Sam you could get away with flintlock rifle model from pirates, but a hunter's shotgun is... a bit of a thing.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Elmer and Yosemite Sam are both... problematic. Sam you could get away with flintlock rifle model from pirates, but a hunter's shotgun is... a bit of a thing.

True, but kind of surprised that Speedy Gonzales made the cut now that I have think about it.

I think think I would have liked both Elmer and Yosemite included sans guns.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

I'm not sure they need their guns? Also lego used to have six shooters and rifles as part of the Old West/Adventure series, no?

Unless you mean problematic in other ways.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    This’ll be fun: either they include the guns and piss off one group, don’t include the guns and piss off another, or just don’t make those figures and then everyone is annoyed.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

I'm not sure they need their guns? Also lego used to have six shooters and rifles as part of the Old West/Adventure series, no?

I meant the gun stuff. Heck, the rabbit season/duck season sign was already surprising.

And I think they included Speedy because he's actually super popular?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Speedy surprised me. My wife and I both have favorite Looney Tunes that have been sort of pushed aside for TV and merch (Pepe and Foghorn) but Elmer is still a major character in the new HBO show so not including him seems really odd. I wouldn't mind it if they hadn't included the hunting season sign with Daffy - it's an odd thing to do without the third member of those cartoons.

With that said, I'd love some full-on Looney Tunes sets. You could do some fantastic playsets with Wile E and the Roadrunner, a retro rocket with Marvin, or Bug's rabbit hole. I also sort of wish with Sylvester they could have added a Tweety to his scale as an accessory.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

I meant the gun stuff. Heck, the rabbit season/duck season sign was already surprising.

Yeah, I'm not sure the gun stuff is super objectionable. Not sure how a six shooter differs from a blaster rifle.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Yeah, I'm not sure the gun stuff is super objectionable. Not sure how a six shooter differs from a blaster rifle.

I think the bigger issue is Yosemite Sam isn't popular enough. If you think of a human antagonist for Bugs, it's going to be Elmer Fudd. I literally can't remember any scenes involving Sam despite having seen him quite a bit as a kid.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I really want several Marvins.
    At least one for my dad, who's a big fan of the Martian.
    But one for me as well.

• Options
    I've never ordered off Lego.com - how often do backordered sets come back in stock? The wife and I really like the Tuk Tuk, so I signed up for a notification, but is it wishful thinking?

Also, the Looney Tunes ones are great, but I'm not a fan of Daffy with a Rabbit Season sign without Elmer Fudd to go with it. Seems like Petunia or Speedy could have been swapped out to have the trio of Daffy/Bugs/Elmer unless they are doing sets or a second series of minifigs. If they were to do a second round, I would also love an opera Bugs/Elmer combo. The interesting part is a few years ago, Looney Tunes was on the list of properties expected to be in the last wave of Lego Dimensions before its cancellation. It would have made total sense given it's a WB property.

That Tuk Tuk has been super popular and I'm sure Lego wasn't prepared for it. I think I've seen it come in stock twice since it went up, but might have been more.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Ordered https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/nasa-space-shuttle-discovery-10283 and https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/ferrari-488-gte-af-corse-51-42125 over the weekend.

Space shuttle will go nicely with my Saturn V. The 488 GTE will look nice next the Porsche 911 RSR I'm assembling right now. Probably create a nice viewing space somewhere on one of my shelves where they can be side by side.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Speedy is a bit weird, in that he was designed as a caricature, but since he's exclusively a "face" character, he's viewed positively by Latino communities as he's always the hero outwitting an (usually American coded) antagonist.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
This discussion has been closed.