As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zakrello Appreciation Thread [Gunpla]

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    For some reason I am surprised there are LED sections for the skirt armor panels, I don't know why I thought there wouldn't be. For people who have built this already, are you able to have it separate from the stand relatively easily or do you just end up with wires hanging out or something? I can't really tell from the manual.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    For some reason I am surprised there are LED sections for the skirt armor panels, I don't know why I thought there wouldn't be. For people who have built this already, are you able to have it separate from the stand relatively easily or do you just end up with wires hanging out or something? I can't really tell from the manual.

As you go, there will be covers put in place such that you'll never notice the wires .The skirt wires will fold up between the joints, more or less.

Separating from the stand is just a matter of undoing 1 connector. Though once you attach the backpack, you'll likely need to take that off as well because it is in the way.

Edit: Best I can get at this point.

gQzItz0h.jpg

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    So when you have it disconnected does that connector have a place to hide?

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Dalong.net has a page for the LED kit which includes a section for putting it on and how to hide the wires which is way more informative then the manual and a worth a look. The only point of connection between Gundam and stand is on the back of the torso and will be hidden by the backpack which would be a-3 in the manual. The skirt armor is a string of 3 lights that run back to front so if you want to remove the back skirt armor for some reason you will need to remove the front and side armor first but they are only connected to the central waist LED which they are a part of.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Well a quick look around indicates that the Unicorn lighting kit is not in stock anywhere. I am uncertain if this affects my interest in a PG Uni.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Well a quick look around indicates that the Unicorn lighting kit is not in stock anywhere. I am uncertain if this affects my interest in a PG Uni.

Yeah. It's annoying as fuck. They did a reprint with the opening of P-bandai, for the Final Battle, but not for this one. So I'm sitting here with 1 LED kit and 2 PGs... and I just feel incomplete, ya know?

But I'm in no rush to build my backlog, so I can wait. I saw one on Amazon for $50 above retail, which is just silly.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    could always get the PG Red Frame Kai

cause who doesn't want a sword/bow/claw/jetpack that's big enough to need its own MG size action base?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Well it seems the light kit wasn't that important to me, according to this receipt for one Perfect Grade RX-0 Unicorn Gundam.

• Options
    One of us... One of us...

(Also you can install the led kit after the fact fairly easily.)

• Options
    Oooh boy.

So about that not buying anything...

Gundam Planet just announced pre-orders for a whole bunch of 1/72 scale Macross models today, independent of Harmony Gold getting their heads out of their asses.

Anyone have experience with those? They are 1/72 scale (so Zoid scaled), which instantly raises them up on my interest level...

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Gundam Planet just announced pre-orders for a whole bunch of 1/72 scale Macross models today

Goddammit.

• Options
    Oh. They aren't pre-orders. They are from Bandai, they appear to transform, and they are a few years old?

I... still like them...

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Oooh boy.

So about that not buying anything...

Gundam Planet just announced pre-orders for a whole bunch of 1/72 scale Macross models today, independent of Harmony Gold getting their heads out of their asses.

Anyone have experience with those? They are 1/72 scale (so Zoid scaled), which instantly raises them up on my interest level...

Yes, the build design is a bit dated and you probably aren't going to transform it much cause of how much a pain in the butt it is and feels like some of the more fiddly parts will break. But they sure do look cool.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Oh. They aren't pre-orders. They are from Bandai, they appear to transform, and they are a few years old?

I... still like them...

I have built a couple of them and they are VERY finnicky. You will figure out what form you want them in, and they will live in that form because transforming them is a struggle. And they have huge decal sheets.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Built an Iron Man Rescue!

It's a rather good model. Mostly hidden nubs on the gold painted parts and it all went together painlessly, but I can't get the spoilers on her back to close all seamlessly, and the drones are kind of a pain to pose, but they're a nice effect!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

Really buckled down on this yesterday. What a cool build

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    put some clothes on that boy

6hgt59n7mdpu.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Just finished a model of the best version of the Wing Gundam

• Options
    edited April 2021
    The Nu is done but it's hard to pose with the funnels on the backpack due to balance issues. Luckily I got the effects part kit so I can set up the funnels in an array and do some posing with the suit itself, which is extremely solid. I also have the Heavy Weapons System add-on to tackle

This is probably my favorite RG I've built

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    The Nu is done but it's hard to pose with the funnels on the backpack due to balance issues. Luckily I got the effects part kit so I can set up the funnels in an array and do some posing with the suit itself, which is extremely solid. I also have the Heavy Weapons System add-on to tackle

This is probably my favorite RG I've built

At this point you might as well get double fin funnels so you could go all in on Nu add-ons.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Well that's just too many funnels, don't be silly

Edit: I really just do not have the space to pose a dozen funnels, honestly

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Might be heretical, but I rather like the plain Nu, no HWS or second set of funnels. The asymmetrical wing is a really cool look.

Hi Nu tho? Slap as much nonsense on there as ya can, baybeee

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Built an Iron Man Rescue!

It's a rather good model. Mostly hidden nubs on the gold painted parts and it all went together painlessly, but I can't get the spoilers on her back to close all seamlessly, and the drones are kind of a pain to pose, but they're a nice effect!
    That's the Eastern Model set, right? I really like the look of their Iron Man sets, the color separation seems to be kinda bonkers, but I am 1000% never ever going to paint them, and I wonder if it's worth getting them if they're just gonna be bare plastic. All the promo photos looks gorgeous, but then I realized that they're painted.

EDIT: Oh, right, but I guess the gold parts come pre-painted (on only some version of the kit, maybe?), so that might be good enough to look pretty.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    @Delduwath my Rescue is straight out of box build, that's what it looks like with no paint or the color correcting stickers, of which there are a lot! Many of the tiny grooves in the armor are meant to be filled with gold, I didn't use em cause I do plan on painting it eventually. The plastic looks good IMO, the purple especially has a nice mellow metallic look to it.

I've not built the Mark 85 Iron Man yet (got em as a pair, naturally!) but I believe that is all parts separated, no stickers. Rescue is a bit of a special case, with a really complex layered design and smaller overall body to encompass it. She also doesn't have LEDs in the hands, while Iron Man does.

I would guess every version of these kits come with painted gold parts, while special editions come with metallic coated red/purple as well.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Yeah, I checked out the deluxe versions of the kits and all the sprues there are metallic coated, and they look goooooooood. Unfortunately, the only place I can find (that I know of, anyway) with any of these kits in stock is USAGundamStore, which seems to only have the regular Rescue and Iron Man mk46 sets. A deluxe mk85 kit selling on eBay did pop up in my search results, but it's also like twice as expensive as the regular mk46. I kinda like mk46's unusual, mostly-red color scheme, but at the same time that means that you get very little benefit from the gold runners being metallic coated. Actually, I'm not even sure if the mk46 comes in deluxe, so maybe it's a moot point.

• Options
    I've got Mark 46 on pre-order too! They've shown off prototypes of Mark 2, Mark 43, War Machine Mark 3 and the Iron Spider, I really hope they continue cranking em out, because I'd love the Civil War pair of Iron Man and War Machine. I'm hoping the latter comes with waterslide decals, because that version of the suit had an Ultron kill tally on the chest, a super cool detail. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    NytewarriorNytewarrior Registered User regular
    I've not posted here in a while, but here's my newest build:

tR33T5B.jpg
    The Entry Grade RX-78. I'm going to do some custom paint on this one. Wish me luck.

steam_sig.png
    PSN:Midnyte_Rage
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    My Gunpla package has sadly been delayed until next Tuesday. I am biding my time by playing tons of Gundam Battle and watching builds on YouTube and trawling Instagram for Gunpla stuff, all of which I am certain is perfectly normal and acceptable behavior.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    R-dem wrote: »
    My Gunpla package has sadly been delayed until next Tuesday. I am biding my time by playing tons of Gundam Battle and watching builds on YouTube and trawling Instagram for Gunpla stuff, all of which I am certain is perfectly normal and acceptable behavior.

This sounds like what Homer did after getting kicked out of that “all you can eat” seafood buffet.

• Options
    It's not an addiction till you have multiple airbrushes and a paint room.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Oh thank God I'm free!

• Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Uh oh...

GY9TS63.jpg

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Nice MDF paint racks, how solid are they? I had a similar style of rack that was larger but it warped and started sagging after a few months

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Astray Turn Red? Show it!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Nice MDF paint racks, how solid are they? I had a similar style of rack that was larger but it warped and started sagging after a few months

Quite solid, I haven't had any issues. They are 5 or 6 years old at this point.
    Astray Turn Red? Show it!

I didn't paint the Astray Turn Red, it's just a build with panel lining and the waterslides. It is the only version of the Astray that I don't like, because the swords don't stay on, the added parts to the back waist don't stay on, and overall it's just a hand grenade.

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Huh.

Stopped into my local Target during my lunch break.

They had an HG Barbatos on clearance.

Target, of all places.

• Options
    I've heard tell of gunpla at Target but my local one doesn't seem to stock them

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    My local Target does, I think I already have all the ones they stock though.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I keep checking mine but all I ever see are the Gundam Universe figures, and even those were gone last time I went.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Target has definitely started a couple "anime" import areas, catering to niche/nerd fans. One is usually tucked near the Nerf guns and Disney stuff - this is where the anime will typically be, along with DBZ stuff. The other is a collection of Funko and various nerd toys like Dune, Back to the Future, and Stranger Things. This one will be somewhere near the electronics/entertainment area.

Seeing the gunpla on clearance is a shame. I'm legit surprised they haven't started carrying the entry grade gundams, though I guess at $8 it might not be worth it for them.

I also saw some gunpla kits at my local Meijer, so Bluefin is definitely trying to increase market penetration with Toys R Us gone.

This discussion has been closed.