As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] Kira is best companion, y/y?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    I thought 100% robot body was reserved for Corso.

Not now that I can kick him out entirely!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Wait, is there way to kick Corso out during the Smuggler class story, or only during the Alliance stuff?

Because I didn't like Corso when I first played Smuggler, as a dude, and playing again as a woman made me hate him more than Jacob. Please tell me I can space him.

I know most of the updates to class stories have been cosmetic/cutscene stuff, but I really hope they bring back methods to permanently remove companions.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    short answer: sorry, no.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »

Wait, is there way to kick Corso out during the Smuggler class story, or only during the Alliance stuff?

Because I didn't like Corso when I first played Smuggler, as a dude, and playing again as a woman made me hate him more than Jacob. Please tell me I can space him.

I know most of the updates to class stories have been cosmetic/cutscene stuff, but I really hope they bring back methods to permanently remove companions.

IIRC, post Eternal Throne...
    You get a mission where you can recruit back Risha and Corso. But you don't have to take either of them, or both; you can take only one if you want.

• Options
    Also, FYI, this set is on flash sale for just one more hour as of right now:

6xuju95wlxs61.png

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Despite how toxic gaming communities can be, I have to say that for the most part, as long as I mute general chat and am careful about who I get into voice chat with, I don't have to think about being female in SWTOR too often. I can just play the game and be treated like any other player. In fact these days I haven't even been that careful about getting onto voice chat, I often hear other women on the chat, too! So it's not like I'm the only one. That's why it's so disappointed to be reminded again: HEY you're a WOMAN in a VIDEO game! There was a raid group I have been pugging for on and off and a member of that raid group started chatting with me on discord. At first it seemed fine, though I thought their questions were a little weird sometimes - like talking about intelligence frequently, for example: "you seem intelligent, do I seem intelligent to you?" is a question they'd ask a lot and I was like "I don't really know from what little we've interacted with each other, that's a weird question to ask." I just figured they were awkward. Then today they send me a message that I am "like a dream" and fuck it, this person is flirting. They probably only contacted me because I have a girl voice on chat. Well that's super gross. I told them I was uncomfortable, let them know that I'm married, and that I don't want to chat privately anymore. Even if I weren't married I would have felt uncomfortable but telling people I'm married is usually an easy way out of gross attention.

UGH.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    My Trooper looks rad as fuck, yo:
    4uuvcxah9x5i.jpg

• Options
    4uuvcxah9x5i.jpg

Nice! I can see it's dyed, but what's the original armor set? Is it cartel market, crafted or a drop?

• Options
    4uuvcxah9x5i.jpg

Nice! I can see it's dyed, but what's the original armor set? Is it cartel market, crafted or a drop?

The chest is a Carbon-Scored Boltblaster’s Body Armor, a drop, dyed Medium Blue and White.

Gloves and legs are also Carbon-Scored Boltblaster’s. Wrist, belt, and feet are Stalwart Protector’s.

It’s hard to find 5 unique armor chest pieces with Havoc marking, so I put Trooper and Aric in the same piece since they don’t really have specializations in-story. Elara, Tanno, and Yuun get their own to reflect their specialty.

• Options
    Just beat Trooper for the first time.
    f38xb4n9mre1.jpg

Overall, I enjoyed a lot—it's better than people give it credit for, though it has glaring flaws.

It would've been stronger with more narrative connection between each chapter and a larger supporting cast. That's something I can say about every class story I've played, so the problem isn't limited to Trooper.

Things I Didn't Like
    1) The easiest place to start is that General Rakton is a terrible villain. The concept is strong, but there's just nothing to him. His dialogue in each encounter is virtually identical. Open with a taunt, claim the Empire is inherently superior, close with some bullshit about Imperial domination being true freedom. That's it? That's less depth than Rita Repulsa. Worse, the Trooper doesn't have a personal stake in fighting him. Despite the hype, Rakton's no different than any other smug Imperial. Compare him to Darth Angral or, hell, even Skavik.

2) Havoc's betrayal is the best plot hook of any Republic Chapter 1. Tavus has excellent pathos and the others are distinct in spite of limited screentime. But, other than Tavus, defeating them lacks emotional payoff. You spend a whole planet tracking them down, only to get one conversation—where, with the exception of Fuse, they all default to bog standard smug villains—and then they die like any other mob. Random NPCs get post-defeat cutscenes but not the key characters of the arc? Weird.

3) I like all of the companions, Tanno slightly less so, and I wish they interacted with each other more. For the Knight and the Smuggler, you get a good sense of where your companions stand with each other. Here, I couldn't tell you if Elara and Yuun get along or how M1-4X reacts to Tanno's crimes.

4) Chapter 2 has a great, spy thriller-esque hook, but it's a huge missed opportunity. The Trooper starts the Second Great War and nobody talks about it. The chapter has the highest stakes of any class arc except Knight Chapter 3 but they don't do anything with it. If you lose, the Republic is doomed and the galaxy consigned to slavery, tryanny, and genocide. If you win, it sparks a war guaranteed to kill billions of people and leave entire worlds in ruin. The internal conflict, the sheer pathos, of that writes itself yet Bioware left it on the table. You're starting a war and somebody, somewhere should've mentioned it.

5) On the other hand, Chapter 3 is a mess. Even though they're not perfect, all the quests in Chapters 1 and 2 felt important and added something to the Trooper's story. Belsavis and Voss are glorified sidequests that have no impact. You could cut them entirely and nothing about the Trooper's story changes. It's especially frustrating because the stronger plot threads are right there. At the end of Chapter 2, Rakton all but swears vengeance on you—where's the follow up? On Belsavis, instead of rescuing a bunch of war criminals (who are never referred to again), why not stop Rakton from freeing an Imperial prisoner or gaining some Rakata tech? Why is the idea of a traitor Senator wasted on a 5-minute arc between worlds? That should've been Voss.

How I'd Change Things
    1) Connect Tavus and Rakton—make Rakton the person who convinced Tavus to defect based on their shared outlook. All the claptrap Rakton spews about "freedom to excel" is very close to Tavus' bullshit about the Republic not "respecting her warriors." Now Rakton is a presence throughout the whole story and there's more time to build his character. Hopefully he'd inherit some of Tavus' gravitas along the way.

2) Have more SpecOps members to interact with besides Garza and Jaxo. I'm thinking something like the Jedi you recruit in Knight Chapter 2. Use it to create a plot thread of restoring Havoc's reputation and proving the Trooper's worth.

3) Post-Defeat cutscenes for the Havoc traitors, including the choice to take them prisoner. It's damned strange the game doesn't allow that, since it lets you spare almost every other named character you fight.

4) Create a deeper relationship with Garza. Show that she personally handpicked you for Havoc because she's sees herself in you—that adds more depth to the potential moral disagreements you can have whenever she asks you to kick a puppy.

5) Connect the chapter plots so that things build on each other. Beating Tavus leads to learning about the Gauntlet, which in turn sparks a personal rivalry with Rakton. The pieces already fit together, BioWare just didn't take the extra step.

Embarrassing to admit this but, after owning this game since 2011, I have only just now unlocked all four class buffs.

• Options
    You forgot that sweet Aric Jorgan romance! Though I guess it's a little objectionable because she's his superior, it just feels like a more solid relationship than a lot of what female PCs get in the game, and Aric is adorkable.

Compare to Doc (braggadocious and can't stop with calling every woman "beautiful" as a pet name even after they tell him to stop), Corso (sexist dumbass I hate him), and Lt. Iresso (so fucking boring he barely has a personality), Malavi Quinn (he knows what he did), Torian (he's cute and honorable but just not right at all for my ball-buster merc). The only other female story romances I even like are Vector (yeah he's a bug but he's a romantic one) and Andronikos (he's a murderous psychopath but so are all my female inquisitors).

Endgame romances get better (Theron and Lana. Koth would have been OK if he wasn't pro Space Hitler. Arcann actually is Space Hitler so fuck no.), but for the base game Aric is the only just plain sweet romance for ladies.

• Options
    I loved that Aric's romance is such a slow-burn. It feels organic, earned, and made me believe one day they'll build a life together somewhere quiet.

Meeting Felix Iresso convinced me that my Consular should keep to the Code.

• Options
    You forgot that sweet Aric Jorgan romance! Though I guess it's a little objectionable because she's his superior, it just feels like a more solid relationship than a lot of what female PCs get in the game, and Aric is adorkable.

It's basically Shepard and Vakarian all over again, and you know what, I am down for that. :D

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Edit: I am a person who plays the game as if it's basically single player, doing 90% of the content on my own, and set General chat to mute by default.

What's the endgame if you play it like this? I don't have a burning desire find another guild (and DN seems dormant now), but I'd like to gear up to the point where I'm not a liability in Flashpoints or Raids.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    Edit: I am a person who plays the game as if it's basically single player, doing 90% of the content on my own, and set General chat to mute by default.

What's the endgame if you play it like this? I don't have a burning desire find another guild (and DN seems dormant now), but I'd like to gear up to the point where I'm not a liability in Flashpoints or Raids.

Mine was until I reached it was having all my base game companions at level 50 and customized etc, also you can get the max gear from flash points , you don’t gear in raids . When I come back to the game my next goal will most likely be maxing out reputations or filling out the battle pass if it’s out by then.

• Options
    htm wrote: »

Well, I'm in a very large guild (Hellbent), so If I want to chat with people, I chat there. I also just became part of a raid group with Hellbent (and they nominated me raid leader too, woof) so I can't really say the 90% is true anymore.

But when it was true, I'd check out /Allies for people asking for dps/heals/tank for a raid, then volunteer if it was a raid I wanted to do. Story modes happen frequently enough there. Sometimes (rarely) people even call for hard mode raids in Allies. It used to be a place where you could get pugged for nightmare mode, too, but not anymore.

Beyond that, there was always the groupfinder for flashpoints and pvp. Sometimes people even call on Allies for other group content that isn't included in the groupfinder, like Master mode uprisings.

Unfortunately Allies has become more and more like General because so many people know about it. So it's no longer completely free of drama and politics, sadly. At least that stuff doesn't happen too often, though.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Pretty happy with the look of my new sith assassin. Serendipitous thing, really. I bought the armor for someone else then didn't like how it looked on her. (edit: Had to get her the matching lightsaber too.)

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    That's a good look!

• Options
    I unlocked Lokin , there is nothing about that quest that merits being locked behind a fucking once every few months event.

• Options
    The PvP companions (4X and Pierce) are worse, IMO. Ugh.

• Options
    I unlocked Lokin , there is nothing about that quest that merits being locked behind a fucking once every few months event.

Best tanking companion in the game, technically.

• Options
    9srh349dmd3v.jpg

^ I have this stupid mission item icon stuck on my screen and nothing I do will make it go away. Restarting, relogging, anything. I already finished the mission that it was used for. Googling this has turned up nothing useful. Anyone had this happen before?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    9srh349dmd3v.jpg

^ I have this stupid mission item icon stuck on my screen and nothing I do will make it go away. Restarting, relogging, anything. I already finished the mission that it was used for. Googling this has turned up nothing useful. Anyone had this happen before?

Go to the interface editor and see if you can disable/ re enable it.

• Options
    9srh349dmd3v.jpg

Go to the interface editor and see if you can disable/ re enable it.

Did that a few times. It was quite persistent.

But, it finally just magically went away after about 2 hours or so. /helpless shrug/

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    New story patch today!

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Oh, oh good.

Just what a game that already has a subscriber/F2P caste system and a cash shop needed. Crank up the FOMO by introducing a glorified battle pass system, complete with a dual track (one for subscribers, one not) and paying ridiculous amounts of money to "skip the grind"--the grind that they built into the system. I was wondering why the new update made free-to-players a little more equal by removing the extra credits they spend on most vendors.

Maybe if you aren't making enough money on a goddamn Star Wars game, you just aren't very good at making money, EA.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Oh, oh good.

Just what a game that already has a subscriber/F2P caste system and a cash shop needed. Crank up the FOMO by introducing a glorified battle pass system, complete with a dual track (one for subscribers, one not) and paying ridiculous amounts of money to "skip the grind"--the grind that they built into the system. I was wondering why the new update made free-to-players a little more equal by removing the extra credits they spend on most vendors.

Maybe if you aren't making enough money on a goddamn Star Wars game, you just aren't very good at making money, EA.

Stuff like this is never about "we're not making enough money!" It's always about "we're rich as hogs now, but think about how much more rich we could be if we squeezed them a little harder!"

The video game industry now makes more than the film industry.

If they just wanted to make money and not exploit people, they would introduce more hairstyles in the cash shop.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    My empire for new hairstyles!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    It is interesting to see that much of the stuff on one of the two new vendors is all stuff I got by being subscribed back in (I think?) 2015. Stuff like the HK rocket backpack mount and the Nico Okarr Duster (something I will most likely never put on any of my toons because Nico Okarr is already wearing it and I'm too fashionable to copy someone else's look to the prom!)

The Fleet penthouse should be nice to get, though. At least the vendor tokens are distributed via the free tier and not the subscribed one.

Edit: Oooh I take that back, some of them are part of the subscribed tier. I am subscribed so not an issue for me, but it's still annoying for the people who are not .

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    It is interesting to see that much of the stuff on one of the two new vendors is all stuff I got by being subscribed back in (I think?) 2015. Stuff like the HK rocket backpack mount and the Nico Okarr Duster (something I will most likely never put on any of my toons because Nico Okarr is already wearing it and I'm too fashionable to copy someone else's look to the prom!)

The Fleet penthouse should be nice to get, though. At least the vendor tokens are distributed via the free tier and not the subscribed one.

Edit: Oooh I take that back, some of them are part of the subscribed tier. I am subscribed so not an issue for me, but it's still annoying for the people who are not .

Yo, I just watch this thread for the fun bits, but the bolded? Well, you spoke straight to my soul on that one when it comes to MMOs.

• Options
    Ok one thing I found out about the new seasons is that the cartel coin unlocks aren't so much to "skip the grind" which is why they aren't active right now - they're there for people who don't log in when the rewards are available so that they can "catch up." Those unlocks won't be usable until 30 days have passed for that reason.

• Options
    So how many levels do we have to do to keep up? Seems confusing.

• Options
    So how many levels do we have to do to keep up? Seems confusing.

https://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20210318 ("catch up" info is at the bottom of the page)

So I think the idea is that since galactic seasons have a set amount of time to be done (5 months) and there's only so many points you can get for it per day, if you don't log into the game for a few months you will have missed the chance to get all 100 levels. Regardless of how much grinding you do, the weekly and daily points are limited. So in that circumstance, if you wanted to you could unlock levels that you'd never be able to earn enough points for.

• Options
    I missed yesterday did both of today’s ones and the pvp weekly but can’t find star fighter matches to do that one . Stuff like that is going to be annoying.

• Options
    I missed yesterday did both of today’s ones and the pvp weekly but can’t find star fighter matches to do that one . Stuff like that is going to be annoying.

I was really confused for a minute there because starfighter wasn't among the tasks available to complete for my galactic season stuff. So I tried logging in to another server and yup, different servers have different tasks.

I did figure that being unable to find people to help you with group tasks would be an issue for people who don't complete them the day they launch. My day-one stuff included things like doing the Hive Queen boss op 3 times. If I came a week later and tried to get that one I'd probably have a harder time finding 7 other people to come along.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Don't forget you can reroll one weekly per week and one daily per day.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options

How do you do that didn’t see an option.

• Options
    Alderaan enemy NPC to my sith warrior last night: "I'd sooner see Alderaan blown into space debris than handed over to the Empire."

I hope whichever Bioware writer wrote that line enjoyed a good long smirk and a glass of wine afterward...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

How do you do that didn’t see an option.

I was confused too but then I saw a little "refresh" circle on Galactic seasons missions I hadn't completed yet. I did have the Starfighter one today, so I refreshed it and got a "kill insects" mission instead, much preferred.

Does anyone know how to purchase the fleet station apartment? I see some people already have it, but when I go to purchase it says I need a subscription... I uh already have a subscription so this is super confusing.

• Options
    So I re rolled it per the forums advice and got veteran flash points which was much easier . Still have to tell people to not fucking stand in the water in depths of maanan but hey nothing is perfect.