NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    ...what?

too many red moco coolers, I think

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I think this is my favorite scene out of season 6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHoVsAjTeAM

Man, this scene really showed how fucking psycho, Action Man was.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The way the whole series moved from a Johnny Quest parody where it looks like Doc is just an inferior version of his father to him being objectively better in every way besides intellect is excellent.

It's a testament to the writers that Rusty, who is demonstrably not a good person, becomes incredibly sympathetic the more you learn.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    The way the whole series moved from a Johnny Quest parody where it looks like Doc is just an inferior version of his father to him being objectively better in every way besides intellect is excellent.

It's a testament to the writers that Rusty, who is demonstrably not a good person, becomes incredibly sympathetic the more you learn.

The episode where Killinger grooms him into villainy and Rusty wakes the fuck up and goes “oh shit, I’m a bad person” and consciously makes the decision to reject villainy despite doing so meaning he will return to his pitiful status quo is one of the strongest in the show’s run, IMO

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    I think this is my favorite scene out of season 6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHoVsAjTeAM

Man, this scene really showed how fucking psycho, Action Man was.

One thing the series was very adept at demonstrating is that the "heroes" are oftentimes bigger assholes than the villains.

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

The episode where Killinger grooms him into villainy and Rusty wakes the fuck up and goes “oh shit, I’m a bad person” and consciously makes the decision to reject villainy despite doing so meaning he will return to his pitiful status quo is one of the strongest in the show’s run, IMO

That episode—“The Doctor in Sin”—is absolutely my favorite episode of the show.

Sneaks on
  • Options

And even then he continues to be a kinda awful person! He’s still greedy, self centered, etc.

But fuck at least he as actual convictions. Unlike the amoral psychopaths that raised him.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I mean, he's human. That's what I like about this show. It's got a goofy villain/super scientist backdrop but the characters are all realistically flawed and could easily be actual human beings.

Well, with the exception of Killinger. You silly billy.

• Options
    I mean, he's human. That's what I like about this show. It's got a goofy villain/super scientist backdrop but the characters are all realistically flawed and could easily be actual human beings.

Killinger and Red Death are arguably two of the best people in this universe and I don’t know what that means.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Killinger and Red Death are arguably two of the best people in this universe and I don’t know what that means.

Killinger isnt even a person

Its worth noting Red Death is very old and is "good" after a life of mistakes and bloodshed

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ...I mean, Venture Bros is great, I'd be excited for another season, but there is no way that's true

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    ...I mean, Venture Bros is great, I'd be excited for another season, but there is no way that's true

That some deal might be worked out with HBO Max so that we get another season, or that VB fans are polite, or both?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    I think its true. Its an orignal program for a demographic that is passionate. Also rarely does a streaming company just tweet out stuff like this outside of a press release

• Options
    Granted, this was his personal Twitter account, not an official HBO Max release. And Warner Bros. is cutting like crazy.

But everyone's pivoting toward their streaming services, animation is COVID-proof, and revivals of beloved shows are everywhere. I mean, this is the guy who greenlit Snyder's Justice League. There's definitely reason to hope.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    An additional season would be great, but I'd settle for a movie to tie up things.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    An additional season would be great, but I'd settle for a movie to tie up things.

Yeah just let them finish.
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    animation is COVID-proof

I don't think this is 100% true. Can't speak to the animation process itself (since it's done overseas) but voice recording has definitely been impacted for other shows (anime dubs).

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

animation is COVID-proof

I don't think this is 100% true. Can't speak to the animation process itself (since it's done overseas) but voice recording has definitely been impacted for other shows (anime dubs).

Generally, impacts to animation have been minimal. Entertainment Weekly did an exhaustively-sourced look at how COVID has affected animation, and for the most part, they've kept on working. The worst was a (temporary) two-week stoppage. Animation is nigh-COVID-proof. :P

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

animation is COVID-proof

The biggest Dub company is based in Texas so thats not helping things

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Practically speaking, part of the show evolving away from the Johnny Quest parody is that you can only run on that gimmick for so long before you're stuck. Like the later seasons started to adopt being a parody of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but that definitely wasn't going to last. Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer seem to have good judgment on when to move on from things in that sense.

• Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I still think they haven't properly balanced how much the rest of the world (even OSI at times) understands the existence of the Guild and other villain groups. Sometimes they seem to be way underground and other times it's like an opposing political party.

• Options
    Maybe I’m stupid and greedy but I would like this show to just keep existing as long as Hammer and Publick want to keep making it. I don’t just want a movie to tie up loose ends or a finale season to wrap it all up, I want the creators to realize their vision. If that’s just one more season, so be it. If that‘s that they keep being this show that pops up every few years with another season of the best animated show on TV, then so be it.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Maybe I’m stupid and greedy but I would like this show to just keep existing as long as Hammer and Publick want to keep making it. I don’t just want a movie to tie up loose ends or a finale season to wrap it all up, I want the creators to realize their vision. If that’s just one more season, so be it. If that‘s that they keep being this show that pops up every few years with another season of the best animated show on TV, then so be it.

I saw some interesting stuff about Bojack Horseman where the creator went to Netflix and said "if the next season you give me is the last one, do me a solid and tell me, so I'll know to wrap it up". And so they did, and so he did. Maybe VB could be similar, if they know ahead of time they could wrap it up, but other than that their vision doesn't have a fixed length.

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular

Yeah, I somewhat agree. The "movie ending" thing never seems to satisfy me. I'm sure one of the main reasons is that people become so good at 23 minute plots, that suddenly when they're asked for 2 hours, it feels a little off.

I'd probably take 5-6 episodes over a movie any day of the week.

Also, currently rewatching the whole series on hulu and it's so soooo good!

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    notya wrote: »

Yeah, I somewhat agree. The "movie ending" thing never seems to satisfy me. I'm sure one of the main reasons is that people become so good at 23 minute plots, that suddenly when they're asked for 2 hours, it feels a little off.

I'd probably take 5-6 episodes over a movie any day of the week.

Also, currently rewatching the whole series on hulu and it's so soooo good!

Haven't they done a couple 90 minute specials that feel like entire seasons of content?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Do you mean that they're working on it, or that they've received piles of polite emails asking them to do so?

I can believe they've received polite emails. The kind of fan to send rude screeching asshole emails that you may expect when, for example, your fast food chain runs out of sauce probably isn't going to be able to maintain an entitlement boner in relation to a show that goes years between seasons.

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Do you mean that they're working on it, or that they've received piles of polite emails asking them to do so?

I can believe they've received polite emails. The kind of fan to send rude screeching asshole emails that you may expect when, for example, your fast food chain runs out of sauce probably isn't going to be able to maintain an entitlement boner in relation to a show that goes years between seasons.

Well that and it is who it is to... I imagine when it came time to save The Expanse that SyFy got the rude letters and Amazon and Netflix got flowery letters from fans.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Nothing about the show's direction or the season that was being written or the cancellation suggests this would have been the last. I dunno why people keep saying they want "just one more to end it." It looks like the people involved were still having fun and would've kept going as long as they were allowed.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

That some deal might be worked out with HBO Max so that we get another season, or that VB fans are polite, or both?
    see317 wrote: »

The latter. I mean, they may have received some nice emails, but the internet being what it is....

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Nothing about the show's direction or the season that was being written or the cancellation suggests this would have been the last. I dunno why people keep saying they want "just one more to end it." It looks like the people involved were still having fun and would've kept going as long as they were allowed.

I would love for the show to go on as long as Hammer and Publick want to. Settling for a movie or one more season is just expectation management.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that Hammer and Publick have gone on record as saying they'll never do a huge "ending," they'll just stop and leave the world running.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure that Hammer and Publick have gone on record as saying they'll never do a huge "ending," they'll just stop and leave the world running.

They also said the end of last season was not what theyd end the show on so Id expect some degree of closure.

• Options
    Among a few other films,
    This original film has been green-lit. Any complaints and we're turning this internet around and going home #venturebros
    On the one hand I'm glad we're getting another hoorah but on the other, this is absolutely going to be a conclusion-will-not-make-more-after sort of thing and that kinda sucks. :(

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Heeeeelllllll yes.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    From the same thread:

Oops, forgot to type up the tweets...
    Identical to above, but #Metalocalypse and #ATHF, respectively.

So, here's a gigantic "Fuck You" to Comcast for deciding to pull Cartoon Network and Adult Swim from my subscription package, but still making sure I have a half dozen versions of ESPN to never watch.

see317 on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm stoked y'all are getting more VB but I'm personally dying for that ATHF movie

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm stoked y'all are getting more VB but I'm personally dying for that ATHF movie

I wonder if they will premier this one on Adult Swim first like last time.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I think all of these are made for TV movies (or rather, HBO Max)

So no tiny postage stamp style reveal lmao

Local H Jay on