Options

Let's Slay the Spire together, as a family:

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Deus Ex Machina is also quite good, to its credit

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Deus Ex Machina is also quite good, to its credit

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Straightzi your echo form is showing

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Given everything I would actually take Wish there.

You have nothing to combo off with Omni, so it's a dead card currently. It would be a fine pick if it was competing against some Commons and uncommons.

You aren't doing anything that really benefits from the energy Deus ex will give you, and you have no card draw which makes it way weaker (card draw and energy generation are basically hard linked - one makes the other better)

Wish is across the board strong. Boss fights it gets you armor or strength, both valuable, and hallway fights you can wish for gold, which you can then convert into long term power. Take Wish and upgrade it asap.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I agree, despite talking about how good Omni is, it's hard to see it working in this deck.
    I think Deus ex Machina could work, particularly if I can swap a few more Defend for Evaluates and add a Carve Reality or Alpha.
    I've never quite found Wish worth it: it's quite expensive and hard to get out, but Art of War and lack of offense in the deck mitigates here. Ordinarily I'd pass, but part of Let's Play is to try things I wouldn't ordinarily go with.

I've got to head out for a few hours now, but we'll see if any more opinions are forthcoming before I pick it up again later.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Maaan. I think I just made a poor choice... Picked up Wraith form again, and then decided to gamble on Pandora's Box...

BQZvnFvh.jpg

1sqLtHFh.jpg

But hey, at least I made it through Act 1! Ascension 10 is so kicking my ass...

I had a choice of that kite relic and the +1 focus for not being able to smith anymore...

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Nightmare and Wraith form can get you through a lot of turns with minimal damage

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree, despite talking about how good Omni is, it's hard to see it working in this deck.
    I think Deus ex Machina could work, particularly if I can swap a few more Defend for Evaluates and add a Carve Reality or Alpha.
    I've never quite found Wish worth it: it's quite expensive and hard to get out, but Art of War and lack of offense in the deck mitigates here. Ordinarily I'd pass, but part of Let's Play is to try things I wouldn't ordinarily go with.

I've got to head out for a few hours now, but we'll see if any more opinions are forthcoming before I pick it up again later.

Wish is objectively one of the strongest cards in the game. It's incredibly flexible and it provides long term power through gold production, which is something very few other cards can claim.

Anything that provides long term power, preferably defensively (Since there's a fairly hard limit on how much offensive power you actually need) is very good, since most things things in the game can only provide you with temporary power within a battle.

Wish also lines up with a few other things: Orange Pellets and Clockwork Souvenir are both shop only relics, and Watcher wants at least one of those, and ideally both (Due to the existence of Fasting), with an exception made for a properly built snecko deck (where cleansing the confusion is actually a negative). Aditonally, Membership card is a shop relic that makes your gold go further, and courier is a common (Uncommon possibly? i forget) relic that also makes gold go further, ontop of restocking a store - letting you buy a truly dumb amount of relics.

Wish would be absurdly strong if it JUST gave you gold. That's how good gold is! The fact it can give you strength (Watcher has double or triple scaling with strength inherently thanks to wrath and divinity, ontop of having Tantrum and Ragnarok which are strength multipliers) or Plated Armor (Free defense is the best defense, and the amount of plated armor you get is absurd). is just pure gravy.

Like compare this to the other long term power cards:

Alchemy is hard limited by the # of potion slots you have, and potions are very hit or miss on their impact. It's strong, but it's a very erratic strength.

Ritual Dagger requires an act 2 event, and then you have to go out of your way to stack it. Very few decks need the offensive oompf Ritual Dagger provides, or can leverage it. Ironically, it's often great on Watcher due to the interactions with Wrath - I'd probably slam it if i was a Runic Pyramid Watcher.

Genetic Algorithm is abusrd, and one of the best cards in the game, but it still depends on being the right time.
    Lesson Learned is also absurd, upgrades are strong and fully upgrading your deck without having to rely on drawing and casting Apoth is great. Even better, you can remove lesson learned when you're done
    Feast is also Absurd. Max HP is good, and having 180 max hp can make stuff like the heart a cake walk.

Bites flood your deck and cost you max hp. The healing is worth it if you have Molten Egg to make em Bites+, but the situation still requires at least one, if not two specific relics to really shine.

Hand of Greed competes with other Fatal cards, is an expensive 2 cost neutral attack ,and is rare as hens teeth. Actually incredibly strong if picked up early act 1, but otherwise you're usually spending gold to buy it, or you took a colorless card choice from Neow for some godforsaken reason, in which case what the fuck.

• Options
    @Athenor You actually have a very strong offensive suite there, at least for A10. Concentrate on picking up defensive commons and either commit to a Pen-nib approach, or figure out how to go nuclear with Poison. In general the best time to take Pandora's box is when you have Toxic Egg or Frozen Egg as you get a lot of upgraded cards this way. Taking it with Molten Egg is pretty okay if you've not removed any strikes

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    As expected, that fell apart quickly. :D Only defensive cards I saw were small and this elite just decided to stomp on me. I think I misplayed a nightmare there.

xpygJt8h.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    I just got this the other day. So far I've gotten the first 3 characters to act 3 and then gotten bodied by a knife juggler. None of the decks I've made have managed to actually do what I wanted them to, but still work somehow.

• Options
    Just a general tip with this game:

A big trap a lot of people fall into is the.. infinite trap? I'm nto sure how to frame it exactly. but basicalyl, seeing big numbers, or the potential to scale infinitely, and going "OMG THIS THE BEST"

Thing is the way StS works, you dont actually need infinite damage. In point of fact, on A20 an Endgame heart killing deck ideally needs to be able to do... about 100 damage a turn, on average. Emphasis on average. So infinite damage scaling is not all that at all. If anything it's a cute way to show off that's mostly a waste of time.

Likewise, your defense demands you be able to block 67 damage and 45 damage on turn 2 & 3, and to reliably produce around 60ish block every turn after that. That said, infinite defensive scaling of some kind can be very useful - if nothing else for easing the burden on your offensive needs. (Do note that eventually the heart will do more than 999 damage in one turn, so you cannot block forever unless you can somehow create infinite Appiration. Which would require a very specific deck involving Orange Pellets and Prismatic Lenses to do and why are you even taking Prismatic lense))

There are some exceptions - Catalyst (With Nightmare or Burst) is notable for it's ability to one shot every fight that's not the heart/not Spire and Shield, which really simplifies a lot of things. Watcher can do similar via Double Omni -> 2x Worship, 2x Ragnarok+ (Cast OMni from your hand targeting Omni. Duped omni then targets Worship and Ragnarok, duping both of them. You go divine and then one shot anything that's not the heart as long as you have a bit of strength, because rangarok+ and divinity combined is something like a 18x multiplier on strength, which is V. Dumb).

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Alas, I will be unable to continue my run as the game reset and I have have lost that run.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Okay, I ran a new Watcher run and while I hadn't intended to post about it, but I tried some different things that had been mentioned on my last run and ended up with this deck:
    I5Y95ozh.jpg

NF1mALmh.jpg

Wish+, Ragnarok+, Blasphemy+, Hand of Greed+ and Apotheosis+ have done some heavy lifting on this ascent. Plus quite a few relics. Meditate has been good, too, pulling back combos into my hand on a semi-reliable basis.

And yeah, It's been nice getting Wish out on the regular for good effect.

I'm now at the start of Act 4, with Spear and Shield + Heart ahead of me and the store looks like this:

i5K2RwNh.jpg

I still have a bit of money to spend, and can pick up a few things before heading on my way. Go ahead and make suggestions; I've got a free potion slot and quite a fist of gold.

Fishman on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Orange Pellets is so good for the heart, being able to clear vulnerable and frail for the first attack rounds is great (and with power potion, you can do it reliably), also works with your Duality relic. TTTH+ for 35 is also good for the heart, but not great for Shield and Spear since you can't clear artifacts. Those two leave you room for a card remove (a Defend, I guess?), or Meditate and Entropic Brew. Another option is Fasting instead of Meditate with Orange Pellets to remove the energy debuff (and another power in general to try and hit for pellets).

Naphtali on
  • Options
    can orange pellets clear the blasphemy "die next turn" debuff?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I think that one's a buff.

• Options
    Orange Pellets + Fasting is the windmill slam here. After that... buy Meditate if you can for the card recursion, or the entrophic brew (With the assumption you'll burn the two pots you already have on the SnS)

• Options
    Acquired:
    Orange Pellets
    Fasting
    Meditate
    Colourless Potion

Round one, fight!
    jXhWRxch.jpg

• Options
    That's a pretty good turn 1. Personally, i'd go Fasting -> Carve Reality -> Carve through fate -> Decive Reality(Filtering to find defensive cards for turn 2). Should set you up nicely =- you've got a smite to change your facing on T3 for the Shield, you've got a block to help you get through the hell turn from the Spear, and you'll get two more permanet dex off the back of Duality, which is a big bonus.

• Options
    Psssst. @Athenor. Hey @Athenor.

Your seed was actually real good, you just had to make some different choices - i beat the heart with mark of the bloom on it, and only lost 3 hp after i took Mark of the Bloom. (... all of which was to the heart).
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

The one "oh fuck you game moment" was hitting a store and being like "Eh, i should be safe to spend gold here"... forgetting i had another store later in the act.

Which had Apothesis in it, which i just couldn't afford. And then the Chest right after that had bottled lighting. Fuck you game, fuck you.

Had a rough act 1 - i committed tactical suicide with fairy pots twice, but got throguh, act 2 was still a little hairy (Collector, mainly), and then after that... i only lost hp to the Heart, so yeeeeah. Upgrades are good, as is right and proper routin'

Anyway, i hope that gives you some inspiration. From Neow i took the 100 gold option

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I hadn't played Slay the Spire in quite a while, so I bought the Switch version during the sale in hopes it would entice me into playing a bit more.

In my first run as the Silent, I had a pretty solid defensive deck going but got roughed up a bit in a pair of back-to-back elite fights. Two rooms away from the campfire at end of the act, I decided to bleed myself down to 3 HP picking up the Necromicon. One room before the campfire I died to an attack that exceeded my block by exactly three points.

I've got to say, there's a certain peace of mind that comes from being able to look death square in the eye and say, "Yeah, I definitely deserve this."

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Cut through Fate has given us an interesting choice:
    YnG9Tkth.jpg

Swivel is kinda pointless here; it would take all our energy and leave us without either Reality card.

But Apotheosis.. with Miracle, we could play Apotheosis after playing the Realities, getting upgraded versions of Smite and Safety. We could then also play Smite+ for a third attack, giving us a Shuriken strength buff. Or we could play Smite before Deceive Reality, so we get +3 perm Dex when Orange Pellets activate.

Or we could send them both to discard and pull Crescendo, hoping for a better draw next round and retrieve them using Meditate later.

Fishman on
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    can orange pellets clear the blasphemy "die next turn" debuff?
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I think that one's a buff.

Correct, Blasphemy applies a buff, not a debuff. The only ways to avoid Blasphemy is Intangible (Wraith Form, Apparitions) to reduce the damage to 1 from 9999, Fairy in a Bottle/Lizard Tail (to heal you after the damage) or Buffer (Defect power of the same name or Fossilized Helix relic) to negate the damage completely.

• Options
    So in what kind of decks would you want blasphemy?

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    So in what kind of decks would you want blasphemy?

Any deck that could use a massive burst turn to finish things.

Blasphemy+ upgrades to have retain, which is very strong. It plays fairly nice with retain shenanigans, though it can clog your hand and there's no way for Watcher to discard cards. Still, blasphemy into smites = 36 damage per smite, before str or master reality. Thankfully most of Watchers good uncommon attacks involve retain

In general I would say it's an early game rare which is good for killing act 1 and 2 elites. It falls off pretty hard in act 3 unless you can dodge it's damage somehow

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    ww434w5dbhzn.png

So many orb slots.

(i died because my random orb was a dark and not lightning)

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    I'm fascinated to see so much praise of the orange pellets, a relic I have literally never taken, in here

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I'm fascinated to see so much praise of the orange pellets, a relic I have literally never taken, in here

I realized how powerful they could be when I had Sneako's Eye and Orange Pellets and all of a sudden my cards were locked in as expensive, so I needed to figure out the right time to play powers to activate it.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

It's REAL GOOD.

First and foremost, it lets you "Break" various powers in your favor. Wraith form? Biased Cogniton? Beserk? Fasting (Seriously why isnt that a rare)? all of those become immesrambly more strong without their downsides.

Secondly, debuffs are nasty. If you're heart killing, you are GARUNTEED to get hit with Vuln, Frail and Weak.

Okay, so who cares about weak, but the other two are very bad. It obliterates those.

Chosen's debuff? Gone. Want the card draw of Snecko Eye without the cost randomizaiton (For anyhting other than your first hand, done right?) Done. Want to keep the strength that Flex, Duality, Flex Pot, Speed Pot etc give you? You can do this with Orange Pellets.

There's a ridiculous amount it breaks in your favor, and it *keeps* working as long as you can meet it's condition, making it a lot more powerful than Clockwork Souvenir. It's also cardless unlike panacea. Which is very big for any number of reasons (You dont have to draw it, you dont have to play it, just meet the conditions, dosent penalize you in time earter or the heart...)

• Options
    After days of frustration, I think.. I THINK I have something building here, but I'm not sure where to go.

I just beat the Act 1 boss as the Silent. I haven't seen the relics yet. I don't know where I can "rewind" with save & quit, and I barely scraped by this boss, so I am paralyzed to do anything.

Here are my choices:

lCBwwdTl.jpg

And here's my current deck:

Q0zMfwAl.jpg

Ng7GbGil.jpg

Plz help?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    With the caveat that I am terrible at this game, I'd probably grab Envenom and work on more poison through faster stabs.
    Then I'd die with a terribly bloated deck.

So, probably not that.

• Options
    yeah envenom is nice for getting the extra damage on Bane, it's a common card and the upgrade gives you 20 damage off a 1 energy card, which is pretty great, and envenom is versatile enough if you start going for a lot of cost 0 cards like blade dance or endless anguish... just have to watch out for time eater in a3

bullet time is great if you can get one extra energy and acrobatics, then you can draw four cards, discard something you don't want, then pop bullet time and play seven+ cards in a single turn

and finally nightmare is probably the most difficult one to set up - it's a great combo with wraith form if you can get it working, or catalyst if you're running a poison deck, but honestly that seems too fussy to rely on here

• Options
    This is why I asked, because I was thinking nightmare + wraith shenanigans, covered by the orichalcum, but that is a LOT of energy...

I really like bullet time but at the moment I don't have anything to capitalize on it with, it seems.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    on the subject of boss relics, particularly energy granting ones, here's my poorly thought out reasoning behind what I normally go for:

https://slay-the-spire.fandom.com/wiki/Cursed_Key
    Pretty easy to mitigate! Sometimes you can even use the curses to your advantage.

https://slay-the-spire.fandom.com/wiki/Philosopher's_Stone
    Enemies getting +1 strength really doesn't get dire until A3, and by then your deck is either strong enough or you're going to die.

https://slay-the-spire.fandom.com/wiki/Slaver's_Collar
    You get the extra energy when you need it most, but still leaves some rough patches where 3 energy just doesn't cut it.

https://slay-the-spire.fandom.com/wiki/Busted_Crown
    An unpleasant compromise, but hopefully you have plenty of gold to go shopping with to make up for having single card choices

https://slay-the-spire.fandom.com/wiki/Fusion_Hammer
    Honestly I should pick this more given how rarely I can smith at higher ascension levels (need the health), but god I hate the idea of not getting an upgrade

https://slay-the-spire.fandom.com/wiki/Sozu
    you also start losing potion slots at higher ascension levels, but I do love the silent's potion builds (when they work...) and man having a potion as a wild card is such a nice ace in the hole

https://slay-the-spire.fandom.com/wiki/Velvet_Choker
    god i hate the idea of having to limit my cards played per turn i don't care if i don't have the energy to do it fuck you

https://slay-the-spire.fandom.com/wiki/Coffee_Dripper
    nope. healing is life.

https://slay-the-spire.fandom.com/wiki/Ectoplasm
    nooo i need gold i need it to buy myself shiny things

https://slay-the-spire.fandom.com/wiki/Runic_Dome
    makes the game pointless, have never picked this, would judge people (morally) who did pick this

Brolo on
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    This is why I asked, because I was thinking nightmare + wraith shenanigans, covered by the orichalcum, but that is a LOT of energy...

I really like bullet time but at the moment I don't have anything to capitalize on it with, it seems.

yeah, you'll get one turn where you hopefully get nightmare and wraithform at the same time

burn your nightmare, get three additional wraith forms next turn, but this turn is rough since you'll probably only have the energy for nightmare

burn one of the three wraith forms, now you can survive with your intangible, but you'll need to shuffle the other ones into your deck, and then hope you can draw them at the right time to avoid big damage attacks

just seems cumbersome and you might end up taking more damage setting it up than you would by just sticking with conventional cards

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Okay. I don't wanna leave the game running overnight, so ride or die time, let's see what I'll have waiting for me tomorrow...

bought bullet time.

yJOCv2Nl.jpg

... Huh.

Edit: Then decided to screw sense and went for the transform and upgrade relic, killing 3 of my strikes.

MLikm6jl.jpg

... Double huh.

Athenor on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    pras6sb4hedy.jpg

Because custom games can be silly fun.
    That ritual dagger was hitting 80+ damage by the time I saw the third act boss.

Modifiers:
    Sealed Deck: Pick a starter deck from 30 cards
    Vintage: Regular enemies drop relics
    Time Dilation: All enemies start with Slow debuff

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    on the subject of boss relics, particularly energy granting ones, here's my poorly thought out reasoning behind what I normally go for:

Pretty easy to mitigate! Sometimes you can even use the curses to your advantage.

Enemies getting +1 strength really doesn't get dire until A3, and by then your deck is either strong enough or you're going to die.

You get the extra energy when you need it most, but still leaves some rough patches where 3 energy just doesn't cut it.

An unpleasant compromise, but hopefully you have plenty of gold to go shopping with to make up for having single card choices

Honestly I should pick this more given how rarely I can smith at higher ascension levels (need the health), but god I hate the idea of not getting an upgrade

you also start losing potion slots at higher ascension levels, but I do love the silent's potion builds (when they work...) and man having a potion as a wild card is such a nice ace in the hole

god i hate the idea of having to limit my cards played per turn i don't care if i don't have the energy to do it fuck you

nope. healing is life.

makes the game pointless, have never picked this, would judge people (morally) who did pick this

I'll take coffee dripper if I already have plenty of healing from my deck/other relics. I'll also take runic dome if I have a crazy block build already in act 1.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

nope. healing is life.

I'd take Velvet Choker every time as the Ironclad. I tend to favour shiv builds as the Silent, so that's a hard pass with her. The Defect depends on my deck. It doesn't matter for the Watcher because I never play her.