As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Secret World Legends] - TTRPG Kickstarter huge success - Winter is coming

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    I loved this game so dearly, but it has been so many years since I played. I think the last I played was when they dropped the first installment of Tokyo and there was all that Aegis stuff, but I was at the end-game at that point. Apparently they scrapped the original game and moved to some Legends mode or new game? How hard (or rather how many hours) would it be to get back into the game and get up to speed on the storyline? Is it super-grindy? I can't imagine having to slog through all the hundreds of hours of original quests for the original 3 questlines (Solomon Island, Egypt, Transylvania).

You can still download and play the original Secret World client if you already had an account, but there are no more updates for that game. Secret World Legends is the relaunch. I think it's actually less grindy than the original if all you're doing is playing through the main story content - they've made plenty of grind to do if you're trying to get gear for the sake of gear, but that's all optional end-game content stuff.

They did rework the Solomon Island and Egypt storylines slightly - some extra context added to both, encouraging you to seek out more NPCs, and the whole Issue 6 storyline folded into earlier into Egypt, Issue 7 being inserted as part of the main story after Transylvania, things of that nature.

All of the Issues that were paid content in TSW are available for free in SWL, outside of a scant number of missions that haven't made the jump - like the missions where you earned auxiliary weapons, since those aren't a thing in SWL.

I made a new character back in November to go through the story stuff again, and the only thing I've been repeating with them is some scenarios and Dark Agartha in order to get all the lore drops.

I'm almost done with Tokyo with them and have [checks] 3 days 10 hours 39 minutes 12 seconds of playtime on them. Of course, after Tokyo there's still South Africa to play through. Still, it's been very enjoyable to go through the main story again.

EDIT: Someone has made a very informative post breaking down a lot of the additions and changes for returning players, depending on when you last played the game.

https://forums.funcom.com/t/what-changed-a-quick-rundown-of-swl-updates-for-returning-players/2001

Hmm, still probably a lot more time than I have these days. Is it more solo friendly at least (for main storyline)?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Yes, extremely solo-friendly. They have story mode versions of each of the dungeons, even, so you can participate in them in 3-man groups without a dedicated tank or healer.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Personally, I never really got into the mechanics of the original and bounced hard off the difficulty spike/cliff at the start of Egypt. If I'd made it past there, I'd have probably stopped when I hit Tokyo and faced another (the original implementation of AEGIS).
    I re-made that character in SWL and got them all the way through to the end, followed by two others (one for each of the factions).
    For what it's worth, YMMV, etc.

• Options
    MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    I played quite a bit of the original and did the character transfer stuff for the new version. Unfortunately the face I selected for my main ended up looking absolutely horrid in-game. So I waited for them to put the plastic surgeon back in and crossed my fingers that they'd give us a freebie in celebration of its reintroduction. They didn't, and I didn't want to play half the game with that face trying to earn enough currency to pay for a chance to hopefully get a face I liked.
    I'm still keeping an eye on the game, but I've got plenty else to fill my days so it's not something I'm overly bugged about

• Options
    The way the character creation system is set up is... not very great for understanding the actual variety of options of face available to you.

• Options
    4th Anniversary event is live, and will be going until July 15th. There are no new Funcom-made additions for this year, but there are a sizeable number of community-organized events taking place.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is there any downside linking my TSW account with steam so I can login through my steam download of SWL or should I just use the download from their website?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    Is there any downside linking my TSW account with steam so I can login through my steam download of SWL or should I just use the download from their website?

You won't be able to unlink it from your Steam account once linked, and so you won't be able to log in to SWL when Steam is down. And obviously, you will have to use your Steam Wallet if you want to do any in-game purchases or subscribe.

There is a 12-month Subscription bundle with some cosmetics that is no longer available to buy via Steam, but there are also some Steam-exclusive bundles including cosmetics.

Finally, there is no way to access OG TSW via Steam any more but the stand-alone client is still available to download and you can still log into it after linking SWL to Steam.

• Options
    The semi-annual Druids of Avalon event is starting tomorrow for the Fall Equinox, but the daily login rewards were toggled on a day early by mistake.

Event login rewards are a great way to get some boosts for your characters, be the a main or an alt. Among the rewards are a total of 25 AP, 35 SP, a free weapon and signet fusion catalyst, and an exclusive Agent.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Want more Secret World in your life?

A Secret World TTRPG is now in development. Kind of grumpy it's not new game content, but at the same time it's nice to see Funcom realize the property isn't exactly dead.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Very cool to see this game still chugging along. Some of the best designed group battles in any MMO

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »

A Secret World TTRPG is now in development. Kind of grumpy it's not new game content, but at the same time it's nice to see Funcom realize the property isn't exactly dead.

This is cool, I've been wanting to figure out to make Secret World work with D&D 5th edition. This will make it easier.

I did a game of Dread in the Secret World setting that was pretty fun.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Very cool to see this game still chugging along. Some of the best designed group battles in any MMO

Still holding out hope that they rework the Tokyo dungeons for Secret World Legends, as it has IMO the best bosses in the game's history.

• Options

This is cool, I've been wanting to figure out to make Secret World work with D&D 5th edition. This will make it easier.

The SRD d20 system that D&D uses isn't very well-suited for mechanically representing the Secret World, IMO. I've always felt that a more narrative-focused system would work better for it. Powered by the Apocalypse or Forged in the Dark, for example.

• Options

The SRD d20 system that D&D uses isn't very well-suited for mechanically representing the Secret World, IMO. I've always felt that a more narrative-focused system would work better for it. Powered by the Apocalypse or Forged in the Dark, for example.

I can definitely see that. I think that is why it seemed to work well with Dread which is a narrative-focused system that uses jenga to determine if things pass or fail.

What other games has Sar Anvil Studios made? They don't sound familiar.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Still holding out hope that they rework the Tokyo dungeons for Secret World Legends, as it has IMO the best bosses in the game's history.

Whatever event it was when those huge elementals were invading different zones and there was global chat tracking them was so much fun.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options

Whatever event it was when those huge elementals were invading different zones and there was global chat tracking them was so much fun.

The elementals bit sounds like the TSW version of the Anniversary Golems. There were some especially cool zone battles with the Horseman for the last winter of TSW too, but the reduced player number for SWL regions means those sorts of fights can't be done outside of the designated global raid instances in Agartha.

• Options
    How hard is it to get the pvp outfits? I've always liked the bulky looking Illuminati one.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    How hard is it to get the pvp outfits? I've always liked the bulky looking Illuminati one.

I believe the base version of the PvP outfits are now available as possible clothing rewards from Patron Reward Chests, which Patrons can access at the end of a dungeon, lair, and scenario - each once a day.

EDIT: I have confirmed with some folks that the higher rank versions of the PvP uniforms are currently unavailable in Secret World Legends, unless you had earned them already in TSW and used the Vanity Transfer.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited October 2021

I believe the base version of the PvP outfits are now available as possible clothing rewards from Patron Reward Chests, which Patrons can access at the end of a dungeon, lair, and scenario - each once a day.

EDIT: I have confirmed with some folks that the higher rank versions of the PvP uniforms are currently unavailable in Secret World Legends, unless you had earned them already in TSW and used the Vanity Transfer.

Weird, I did the vanity transfer and I can't find my PvP gear. I thought it was just something that wasn't part of the transfer. That is really annoying.

Nevermind, I found it after looking again.

Are there enough people that still play TSW for me to get the higher rank sets? I like all the glowing. Can I even do another vanity transfer?

Stragint on

• Options
    edited October 2021
    I'm not sure how active the TSW PvP scene is, or how many folk log into it still. I believe there is a small base of folks who still enjoy it.

As far as a second vanity transfer goes, IIRC Funcom allowed players who had done the initial transfer a final, second vanity transfer that would carry over cosmetic items unlocked. So assuming you haven't done the second vanity transfer yet, unlock/purchase all the clothes, pets, and sprints you want to carry over and then log into your Funcom account page and select the vanity transfer option again.

EDIT: Keep in mind that clothes options are unlocked separately for each gender. So if you have a male Illuminati character and unlock all the PvP uniforms, you will not have any of the PvP uniforms imported if you made a female Illuminati character in SWL.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Cool, thank you. I'll need to download TSW and see how things are in that case.

I also need to figure out my bag/bank situation in legends. I really hate how little space I have and it makes me not want to give them money for making the space so small.

I can't do anything because my bag and bank is 100% full.

• Options
    There is some character bag expansion you can do with Marks of Favor and not paid Aurum, but beyond that the other thing you can do is start a Cabal (guild) with another player and use the cabal storage for extra space. I can hop on with an alt to help you with that.

What sort of stuff are you holding on to, out of curiosity? They cut down on the bag clutter compared to TSW but you can still run up against the limits pretty easily depending on how many things you're trying to upgrade at the moment.

• Options
    There is some character bag expansion you can do with Marks of Favor and not paid Aurum, but beyond that the other thing you can do is start a Cabal (guild) with another player and use the cabal storage for extra space. I can hop on with an alt to help you with that.

What sort of stuff are you holding on to, out of curiosity? They cut down on the bag clutter compared to TSW but you can still run up against the limits pretty easily depending on how many things you're trying to upgrade at the moment.

It is a lot of different things. Probably a lot of useless stuff but I don't remember what exactly I was trying to do before I stopped playing. It has been a pretty long time. I think I was trying something with assault rifles and elemental. Right now I'm Shotgun/Chaos.

MOnOFya.png

xJShZBz.png

• Options
    edited October 2021
    You don't need to have one of every weapon right now. Or one of every glyph at green 20. Or all those very many unopened bags of weapons, talismans, etc.

I can see you had taken up a fair amount of your bank space by opening up some Distillate bags you had gotten from a Cache before realizing that you didn't have any items high enough level to justify spending them on, so that might be another thing to focus on.

The official Secret World Legends Discord can help you with build suggestions so you know how many of what glyphs you should be putting into your gear, so you can take the rest and just feed them into what's necessary, what signets you should be keeping an eye out for, etc.

The gear that you don't feed into your equipment you can simply sell - it takes shards to upgrade after all, but inventory space is just as precious.

EDIT: The Discord would also be the place to see if anyone was interested in helping you farm the PvP uniform stuff in TSW.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    I think what I was doing was trying to upgrade all of my equipment to purple. I don't remember how it works but upgrading stuff basically involves dumping items into one item and then combining it with another of the same slot item and same rarity to go up rarity levels.

I don't know, I remember so little of how it works and I don't know if things changed. That is probably why I have so much stuff though.

ZLM4t6t.png

That is what I'm currently equipped with. Don't remember what the number in the top left of the item icon means though.

So basically I should just toss a bunch of bags, glyphs, and talismans for now? I'm like maybe halfway through Tokyo so it probably wouldn't be much of a loss at this point to toss it all.

• Options
    There is a Beginners Guide on TSWDB that can catch you back up on the basics of levelling gear, among other things.

Your talismans are lower-level than I would expect for someone in Tokyo. To help clean your bag up, select one of your major talismans (wrist, neck, or finger slot) and get a blue 25 up to combine to purple. I see you've got a blue finger and a 3-pip level 20 green necklace already, you've probably got enough junk talismans to feed into those to get them pretty far up.

And you've got one of these:
    h4vchg7138kr.png
    That can increase a 1 or 2 pip talisman to 3 pips. Would recommend using that on your Occult talisman, since it's a dungeon drop that's desirable otherwise.

Once you've figured out what glyphs you should be setting into talismans, you can get those set into gear and leveled up a bit to free all that space up, too.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    oh, and definitely toss that one cache (in the lower left corner), just throw it away, and sell those four purple-bordered, gold-background museum items near the bottom to a vendor for shards. that'll free up some space.

• Options
    oh, and definitely toss that one cache (in the lower left corner), just throw it away, and sell those four purple-bordered, gold-background museum items near the bottom to a vendor for shards. that'll free up some space.

I mean, if Straigint has the requisite kills required, then they can use a Legend guide to grab enough Legends to be able to use the museum items in the museum proper... if they feel like bothering with all that.

The Museum is a very long-term grind sort of investment thing that casual players shouldn't feel too worried about, though. The amount of effort compared to mechanical reward is only really significant when you're worried about higher-ranked end-game grinding stuff.

• Options
    I do have all the wings open but I'm not really all that interested in messing with it at the moment.

I cleared up a bunch of space, still working on figuring out a build for going through Tokyo and figuring out the glyphs to use.

• Options
    edited October 2021

Samhain (Halloween) events are back today until November 11th.

The daily login rewards did not trigger properly but are expected to be live tomorrow (or the day after tomorrow) along with some sales.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    The fate of the world rests on your shoulders...and on your table! Star Anvil Studios proudly unveils The Secret World Roleplaying Game, coming to Kickstarter in 2022!

Follow Star Anvil Studios and drink deep of the latest buzzings:

@AnvilStar

https://facebook.com/StarAnvilStudios

#secretworld #rpg #5e #dungeonsdragons #horror Everything is true including the Secret World in 2022.

Indie TTRPG developer Star Anvil Studios has acquired the license to develop a table-top roleplaying-game version of The Secret World. Currently they are developing the game using a modified version of the D&D 5e ruleset but it's been stated that they chose the system with the widest built-in player base and would love to also develop with other rulesets if there is enough funding/interest.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oh shiiii~

I will definitely pitch in to the campaign, I wanna grab whatever lorebook/bestiary content they may have. Folks'll need miniatures for this I bet...

Also, I feel like that trailer probably didn't need to have dropped the Cthulhu expy that early on. Plenty of other great monsters they could've used! Wouldn't want people to get the impression that this is anything too generic. SW has the best setting for modern occult horror ever.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    It's just a teaser trailer. I'm sure they will have something more substantial to pair with the Kickstarter campaign. If/when another trailer is released I will be sure to post it.

• Options
    The Rosenbrawl 2022, the timed Valentine's Day event, is live until March 1st. Nothing new this year except a couple community-organized contests, but if you haven't checked it out before it grants you access to a special PvP environment that's normally rather difficult to gain access to, and a seasonal Investigation mission that has some very tantalizing lore crumbs...

• Options
    The Kickstarter for Star Anvil Studios' officially-liscensed The Secret World RPG rulebook is live as of ~30 minutes ago.

Forum rules prohibit direct linking to active crowdfunding campaigns but if you are a Secret World fan you are probably going to be interested in this, as there are going to be hundreds of new illustrations and longtime Secret World lead writer Joshua Doetsch being tapped to help the developers to craft player classes and new setting lore that maintain consistency with the established setting.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ooo, artbook! I should definitely grab this.

Looks like they crushed it day one, that's cool.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    The only thing I'm not into with this Secret World RPG is the print on demand stuff. Seems kind of weird.

• Options
    The only thing I'm not into with this Secret World RPG is the print on demand stuff. Seems kind of weird.

POD via DriveThruRPG is the go-to option for small indie devs who don't have the resources to commission large print runs of books and have the property and logistics to store and distribute those print runs over ??? period of time.

• Options

POD via DriveThruRPG is the go-to option for small indie devs who don't have the resources to commission large print runs of books and have the property and logistics to store and distribute those print runs over ??? period of time.

Yea, that makes sense. Still just feels weird to pledge and then need to pay a separate company to print it.

Did they say when they expect to have this all available? I know it ends November 3rd but I didn't see anything in the FAQ for when they expect to have the book ready.