Options

The Novel Novel [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    I got two arms and we know you can take the shots at least every 30 days. That means I can get 2 different shots every 30 days forever, right?

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Just got my second Pfizer dose!

I feel better than for the first dose, even! Only side effect so far is than my vaccinated arm feels HEAVY. but no pain at all.

It was even more efficient than for the first dose. The vaccination centre in my city is a very well oiled machine! Congrats and thank you to everyone who works there, you guys are fantastic!

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    oh god i regret everything kill me

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    since i have pooled PTO i'd honestly rather just work from home when i can't get out of bed than take a vacation day

it's annoying that the US sucks so much in this regard but it's also the reality i live in
    Honk wrote: »
    Pooled PTO is evil.

We get comped here but it’s like 80% for the sick day. It’s better than nothing but I also work from home rather than take sick days, the income drop is noticeable immediately. Anything less than full pay for sick days will lead to people working, and if they can’t do it from home they will come in and spread whatever it is they got.

It depends. My wife has pooled PTO that is basically 4.5 weeks a year. Combined with 12 hour shifts and some weekend shifts so she has many weekdays to schedule appointments on, it would be close to 4 weeks vacation a year when we were younger. She would go on a week vacation with her mom or her girlfriends most years because I didn't have that much vacation, and a variable schedule meant she might only use like 2 days vacation to do it.

For a long time I had 3 weeks vacation/2 weeks sick and I would have preferred her setup because I didn't like lying about being sick/having an appt to take a day. They changed policies and I hit a tenure milestone so I have 5+/2 with two separate caps (can't bank more than 3 weeks vacation/4 week sick) so I like the way it works because I have plenty of vacation time and its less likely I lose some to the cap. The realities of covid and parenthood means I can't, but otherwise I would be the one taking solo trips potentially.

It mostly boils down to having enough paid time off regardless of it being pooled or segmented. And in the context of this thread, people not coming in to work sick due to employer pressure or just not wanting to "waste" a day off on one where they feel like shit

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Got my total bill for having Corona.

Considering I got a chest and head CT scan, $2,500 isn't nearly as bad as I was thinking, but it's still a big fucking oof.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Surprising noone here, the media narrative fucking sucks.

Seeing a lot of reports that essentially boil down to "Biden to miss 70% vaccinated target by July 4th".

Yeah, missed because fucking morons refuse to get it. There's more than sufficient doses and infrastructure to meet that target. There's just refusal to get it stopping that target from being hit.

Continuing to die, to own the libs. And the media put the fault on Biden. Fuckers.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Owning the libs by killing yourself is pretty XTREME.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Pfizer is our only option down here AFAIK.

We just got another big shipment delivered the other day from them.

So that's great

• Options
    Pfizer is our only option down here AFAIK.

We just got another big shipment delivered the other day from them.

So that's great

Pfizer is the MVP of the vaccination campaign. They always delivred on their promises.

--

On the day I got my 2nd dose, my age cohort (35-39) crossed the 75% treshold! Now we only need the 18-34 to do the same. The 12-17 are already at 77%.

Also, the minimun delay beetween doses have reduced to 4 weeks (it was 8 before).

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    MorganV wrote: »

Seeing a lot of reports that essentially boil down to "Biden to miss 70% vaccinated target by July 4th".

Yeah, missed because fucking morons refuse to get it. There's more than sufficient doses and infrastructure to meet that target. There's just refusal to get it stopping that target from being hit.

Continuing to die, to own the libs. And the media put the fault on Biden. Fuckers.

I mean, some of that is down to policy

A segment of the unvaccinated are people who can't afford to take the time off work to recover from the shot side effects; pushing for vaccination leave is something that presumably could put a dent in those numbers, for example. There's also a large number of vaccine/pharmacy deserts for communities of BIPOCs and that could be targeted as well, coordinating with street-level aid groups like we're seeing in Toronto with provincial vaccine allocations

Similarly, finding other carrots or sticks to nudge those numbers forward is also something that can be done on a policy or communications level, not to mention the massive fuckup the CDC did under Biden's rule to loosen mask restrictions way too early. And the mass disinformation occurring on Facebook and other social media is something they could attempt to control via regulation or subpoena

I'm not USian so I don't know at what level those powers are held, but my impression is at least the feds could lead the states in making those decisions and markedly have not, so yeah it's fair to blame Biden on some level, even acknowledging the number of idiots who are making that decision based on 5G or whatever

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    vaccine rate is 100% correlated with voting history in the US at this point

access is not an issue, we're even pushing them onto the reservations now

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

A segment of the unvaccinated are people who can't afford to take the time off work to recover from the shot side effects; pushing for vaccination leave is something that presumably could put a dent in those numbers, for example. There's also a large number of vaccine/pharmacy deserts for communities of BIPOCs and that could be targeted as well, coordinating with street-level aid groups like we're seeing in Toronto with provincial vaccine allocations

Similarly, finding other carrots or sticks to nudge those numbers forward is also something that can be done on a policy or communications level, not to mention the massive fuckup the CDC did under Biden's rule to loosen mask restrictions way too early. And the mass disinformation occurring on Facebook and other social media is something they could attempt to control via regulation or subpoena

I'm not USian so I don't know at what level those powers are held, but my impression is at least the feds could lead the states in making those decisions and markedly have not, so yeah it's fair to blame Biden on some level, even acknowledging the number of idiots who are making that decision based on 5G or whatever

While those are good points, the problem with the headline is he's only going to miss it by a week or two, a month maybe. And when you check vaccination rates in red states, it's hard to believe that the number of people being numbnuts is not the simplest reason for that goal failure.

Could more have been done to get non-assholes vaccinated? Maybe. If people weren't being contrarian assholes (either individually, or at a state government level), would the goals have been met? Absolutely. Are the media phrasing it in a way that the goal failure is Biden's fault? That's the problem I'm having.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular

I mean, unless things have changed drastically since this article in The Atlantic a month ago, percentages for vaccination were significantly lower in Black and Latinx communities?

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/06/individualism-still-spoiling-pandemic-response/619133/

Like, do you have any recent citations on near 100 percent being Republicans or...? As far as I know, access and health disparities were still a significant driver

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

I mean, unless things have changed drastically since this article in The Atlantic a month ago, percentages for vaccination were significantly lower in Black and Latinx communities?

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/06/individualism-still-spoiling-pandemic-response/619133/

Like, do you have any recent citations on near 100 percent being Republicans or...? As far as I know, access and health disparities were still a significant driver

the Kaiser study they cite doesn't back their claim, and in fact states that recent shares of vaccine distribution have gone disproportionately in favor of BIPOC communities

the holdouts are Red States and Trump counties

• Options
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Not to speak for Chanus, but I suspect they mean more that traditionally "Red" states seem to be further behind than not, for a variety of reasons (populace not wanting it, intentionally subverting the infrastructure, etc, etc).

I wouldn't state it as a definitive without a deeper dive onto the NPR tracker I've been using, but a whole lot of familiar state names are sitting at the bottom of those lists (fully and partially vaccinated numbers).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2021

It's since lost in the murky depths of my Twitter timeline, but I saw an image that actually illustrated this. High vaccination rate = blue, high rate. Low vaccination rate = red and low.

And then Georgia as the blue outlier with a low vaccination rate.

fake edit: googled it up, it was from NPR.

snhw6q3ynhib.png

Echo on
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »

It's since lost in the murky depths of my Twitter timeline, but I saw an image that actually illustrated this. High vaccination rate = blue, high rate. Low vaccination rate = red and low.

And then Georgia as the blue outlier with a low vaccination rate.

fake edit: googled it up, it was from NPR.

snhw6q3ynhib.png

yeah GA went for Biden and two Democratic senators, but their state government is pretty red, so they make sense as an outlier because they aren't really a Blue State yet

• Options
    oh god i regret everything kill me

It's been 24 hours since I got my dose now and I still feel fine! Only side effect I got is than my arm got even heavier and tingly. I still feel the tingliness right now! :)

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Wow, I thought early on every one was praising West Virginia for how effective their vaccine roll out was early on. What happened? (I mean, other than GOP spitefulness, of course.)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Wow, I thought early on every one was praising West Virginia for how effective their vaccine roll out was early on. What happened? (I mean, other than GOP spitefulness, of course.)

That was it

I am related to 4 of the 7 democrats in WVA

they love their state but fully realize they are in a sea of red

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Would it be weird if I start calling anti-vaxxers as COVID-sympathizers?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Drez wrote: »

Should we start a right wing meme that vaccine hesitancy is being encouraged by the NWO for when ""they"" unleash the real pandemic?

Gilgaron on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

Should we start a right wing meme that vaccine hesitancy is being encouraged by the NWO for when ""they"" unleash the real pandemic?

lxl9if5txgo0.jpeg

I mean, look at those guys. Definitely scheming.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Second dose received.

Now a proud representative of House Astrizer.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

ABC wrote:
    Vaccine-hesitant Americans overwhelmingly reject the reported risks of the coronavirus delta variant, posing questions for the nation's pandemic recovery on a Fourth of July the Biden administration has marked as a turning point in the nation's long public health ordeal.

Three in 10 adults in the latest ABC News/Washington Post poll say they have not gotten a coronavirus vaccine and definitely or probably will not get one. In this group, a broad 73% say U.S. officials are exaggerating the risk of the delta variant -- and 79% think they have little or no risk of getting sick from the coronavirus.

https://abc7chicago.com/10859181/

The CDC currently estimates ~67% of the adult population (>18 years old) have received at least one dose. If ~30% straight up refuse to get vaccinated we are basically at the ceiling of what can be done through outreach and availability. Another ~3% isn't nothing, and hopefully we will churn through that over the next 6 weeks while we also get the folks with just 1 shot up to full immunity, but it's basically tapped out. At this point all Biden is able to do is literally mandate shots and force people to get them through threat of fines or arrest. Anything else is up to convincing folks to change their mind, and that can only really be done by people they trust, not Officials.

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I mean, if the vaccines get full FDA approval I imagine that'll tick off a few percentage points, between people finally accepting it and more worksites requiring it. As will approval for the lower than 12 crowd. But it will definitely be a slow crawl from this point on, unfortunately.

StarZapper on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    StarZapper wrote: »
    I mean, if the vaccines get full FDA approval I imagine that'll tick off a few percentage points, between people finally accepting it and more worksites requiring it. As will approval for the lower than 12 crowd. But it will definitely be a slow crawl from this point on, unfortunately.

I fully predict that once it gets full approval there will be health plan requirements to get it or you're dropped/COVID related charges are not covered.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

hopefully once it gets fully approved the armed forces can make it a requirement

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    We're working on planning family Christmas and hoping to have my wife's family come visit us in the new house. However, we have a newborn and so we're requiring everyone to be vaccinated. Wife's step dad is pretty staunchly anti covid vaccine and wife's mom may have trouble coming if he can't come. Some of her family are like "well what if he stays inside for two weeks first?" and that doesn't help since he has to travel via plane to get here!

Anyone else in this situation? Wife is feeling kind of sad about it but we're both adamant that this is his fault for refusing to get vaccinated, not ours for asking everyone to be safe, especially around our newborn baby.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

I fully predict that once it gets full approval there will be health plan requirements to get it or you're dropped/COVID related charges are not covered.

Pretty sure that would be illegal under Obamacare.

Which was why we needed Obamacare.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    We're working on planning family Christmas and hoping to have my wife's family come visit us in the new house. However, we have a newborn and so we're requiring everyone to be vaccinated. Wife's step dad is pretty staunchly anti covid vaccine and wife's mom may have trouble coming if he can't come. Some of her family are like "well what if he stays inside for two weeks first?" and that doesn't help since he has to travel via plane to get here!

Anyone else in this situation? Wife is feeling kind of sad about it but we're both adamant that this is his fault for refusing to get vaccinated, not ours for asking everyone to be safe, especially around our newborn baby.

I think you're doing the right thing, hopefully they change their minds

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options

Sure, and the 30% is combined definitely won't + probably won't, so hopefully the probably won't is a softer target and can also get us a higher percentage and closer to herd immunity over the coming months. But still, we are missing the 70% target because people are choosing not to get the shot more than because people are incapable of getting the shot. Which is a difference in kind, not degree.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Got my second dose today, Moderna to follow my Pfizer shot. Easy peasy, very smooth process.

I've already got like, tingling and heat in my left hand, where I got the shot, which I'm not sure if I should be worried about. The fact sheet said to contact a clinic or the ER if you feel "pins and needles" or "numbness" because it could be thrombotic.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Got my second dose today, Moderna to follow my Pfizer shot. Easy peasy, very smooth process.

I've already got like, tingling and heat in my left hand, where I got the shot, which I'm not sure if I should be worried about. The fact sheet said to contact a clinic or the ER if you feel "pins and needles" or "numbness" because it could be thrombotic.
    Oh no, the dreaded Moderna-Pfizer hybrid.

A DAYWALKER.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »
    Second dose received.

Congrats!

Are you guys in Ontario discouraged from getting 2 doses of AZ as well? The AZ line was completely empty at the vaccination centre in my city. Because of the variants, the use of AZ is actively discouraged here.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Got my second dose yesterday. Did fine till late last night. Took some drugs before bed, felt a bit dizzy early in the morning and then just kinda fever-shitty till an hour or two ago. Not too bad but not pleasant.

• Options
    Jean wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Second dose received.

Congrats!

Are you guys in Ontario discouraged from getting 2 doses of AZ as well? The AZ line was completely empty at the vaccination centre in my city. Because of the variants, the use of AZ is actively discouraged here.

I don’t know if I’d say it was discouraged, far as I know if I’d wanted two AZ shots I could have gotten them, but the articles I’ve seen indicated that AZ/Pfizer were fine to mix at worst, and possibly beneficial in some ways at best (I’m sure someone will provide info shortly that I should be getting my affairs in order or to brace for superpowers), so I went with the mix, especially since Pfizer is so plentiful (at least currently) in the province.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Wait, what is pooled time off? You get X days holiday a year but have to take sick days as holiday, or you've got an office pool of sick days to take?

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Wait, what is pooled time off? You get X days holiday a year but have to take sick days as holiday, or you've got an office pool of sick days to take?

The former. It's the same type of pto I get through my job.

It's crappy over the alternative (take time as you need when sick, have enough vacation days that you are free to use otherwise) but it works for me. The idea is that the total grant of paid time off is larger because it also covers some expectation of sick days, when I'm one who doesn't often get sick it gives me a good amount of time off to use as I want. This isn't to say it's a good system for society or a workforce in aggregate, because it isn't.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.