As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocksmith] Rocksmith Plus more money

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Looks like there is still some life in the Rocksmith franchise:

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Could be interesting! I'd like to see how it improves upon Rocksmith 2014 apart from being a sub service now.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    The sub service thing doesn't bother me too much, considering how much money I was dropping on song packs week in and week out. Hoping that they've managed to add some good artists to the roster -- Eagles and Zeppelin being my first and most obvious choices. I did register for the beta, so we'll see if anything happens there.

At one point in the trailer, they show something that looks like actual guitar tablature which, if true, would make me very happy.

Has anyone done a deep dive into the artists they show around the 20-24 second mark in the trailer? The only one that's actually firmly in focus is Crash Test Dummies; but I also saw Marc Antony, Run DMC and I think maybe Annie Lennox or the Eurythmics?

JOE_1967 on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Crash Test Dummies?! Man, I love God Shuffled His Feet. There are some funky basslines throughout that album.

I'm not a fan of the subscription idea, at all. I just can't justify 4 months of play time being the equivalent of a full priced AAA game, and you keep paying from there. Under that model, Rocksmith 2014 would have cost me almost $1000 by now. I'd be surprised if I've spent more than $50 on DLC in that time. I would much prefer something more traditional with some sort of optional subscription that gives you access to all available DLC. Otherwise the game comes with a set of songs and you can buy others to keep.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I have strong skepticism about the note detection method being used but I hope I'm wrong.

• Options
    It looks like you can get a full year for $99, which works out to under $10/month. Given that most of the song packs were $11.99 for 3 songs, that doesn't seem unreasonable. Of course, the proof will be in the pudding. (And in the song selection.)

The thing that bothers me most, just from skimming the article and watching the video, is that it's not platform-agnostic -- if I subscribe on PC, I'd need an entirely separate subscription for PlayStation. And I'm guessing that'll also apply to the phone thing? (Not that I have a whole lot of interest in trying to play on my phone instead of plugging a cable into my PC.)

• Options
    Absent not having any PC, I actually don't know why someone would want this on anything but a computer. Laptop portability is big benefit when it comes to practicing.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I burned out trying to learn guitar during the pandemic via Rocksmith. Something needs to change with the difficulty progression in both tutorials and songs and I don't know what.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Sometimes the way they do the difficulty ramp-up is ... weird. Like there have been multiple songs where the note track doesn't make sense until I turn the percentage up a few notches because the notes they leave out are crucial to understanding the actual riff.

• Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    It looks like you can get a full year for $99, which works out to under $10/month. Given that most of the song packs were $11.99 for 3 songs, that doesn't seem unreasonable. Of course, the proof will be in the pudding. (And in the song selection.)

The thing that bothers me most, just from skimming the article and watching the video, is that it's not platform-agnostic -- if I subscribe on PC, I'd need an entirely separate subscription for PlayStation. And I'm guessing that'll also apply to the phone thing? (Not that I have a whole lot of interest in trying to play on my phone instead of plugging a cable into my PC.)

qqaau2lpgof6.png

This looks like you're right though maybe it will change. Though I suppose it's not TOO different from how it is now. Can't take my PC version and play it on a console. The difference is that it's a sub-per-platform instead of a onetime fee-per-platform

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Also, I'm assuming that in the current world, any DLC I bought for my PC copy of RS2014 would be meaningless if I picked up a copy on console.

Somewhat relatedly, have the Ubisoft RS servers been down/unavailable for years now, or is that just me?

• Options
    I was just playing RS2014 yesterday and didn't notice any issues so maybe just you?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Thanks! Guess I'll try resetting my password &c. again.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    It might be strange to say, but I don't like how heavily they lean on Rocksmith as a teaching tool. I personally think Rocksmith is a terrible way to learn guitar. I understand it's their big marketing pitch; by suggesting it can teach you to play well they sell to current and potential guitarists and they sell more, but I'd much rather they just say it's a fun game to play with your guitar. If someone told me they wanted to learn guitar I'd tell them to go spend the money on a teacher, rather than a Rocksmith subscription (though there are obvious price differences).

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Sometimes the way they do the difficulty ramp-up is ... weird. Like there have been multiple songs where the note track doesn't make sense until I turn the percentage up a few notches because the notes they leave out are crucial to understanding the actual riff.

There was a really good reddit on how to use Rocksmith to teach yourself guitar.

The big one, is to actually just choose 1 song, and set it to 100% notes, but really slow, and then just gradually increase speed.

Its too bad the default for Rocksmith doesnt teach songs that way.
    Endaro wrote: »
    It might be strange to say, but I don't like how heavily they lean on Rocksmith as a teaching tool. I personally think Rocksmith is a terrible way to learn guitar. I understand it's their big marketing pitch; by suggesting it can teach you to play well they sell to current and potential guitarists and they sell more, but I'd much rather they just say it's a fun game to play with your guitar. If someone told me they wanted to learn guitar I'd tell them to go spend the money on a teacher, rather than a Rocksmith subscription (though there are obvious price differences).

Rocksmith is good for teaching mostly to get people to play more often, which is one of the most important aspects of learning.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    I got an invite to the Rocksmith+ beta for PC and it includes 2 invites for me to send out. I think you would need to be my friend in Ubisoft Connect or whatever it's called. I won't be near a computer for a while but the first 2 people who say they want it can add me there. I'm Edgruberman1 on Ubisoft Connect

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I wouldn't mind trying it out.

Edit: Got the invite and am downloading now. Thanks! I'll post some impressions after I spend a little time with it.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I would love to try it out too. I'll add you shortly.
    I've applied for the beta but haven't heard anything about it.

edit: @Ed Gruberman I tried adding you but nothing was turning up with that username. Can you try to add me when you get a chance? I'm XombieNinja on there.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Literally just picked up Rocksmith a few weeks ago......

My fingers still only let me play 30-45 min at a time but slowly getting better! Guitars are hard, man.... So many strings and frets and fingers to misplace on said strings and frets...

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    edited July 2021

edit: Ed Gruberman I tried adding you but nothing was turning up with that username. Can you try to add me when you get a chance? I'm XombieNinja on there.

I've added you, Satan. Once you accept it, then I'll send the invite. And now I'm out of invites.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I like the little bit of Rocksmith+ that is available. The UI is SO much better. There aren't many lessons yet and while there are a lot of songs, there are not a lot of songs I am interested in. But so far I am excited by what I have seen.

EDIT - I have an extra key if anyone wants.

vamen on
  • Options
    vamen wrote: »
    I like the little bit of Rocksmith+ that is available. The UI is SO much better. There aren't many lessons yet and while there are a lot of songs, there are not a lot of songs I am interested in. But so far I am excited by what I have seen.

Yeah, I agree. The UI was better, but still a little confusing, just because I'm not really used to it. The song list was hit or miss. There were a lot, but like you not that many I was really interested in. There were a few surprises, though (Opeth - Ending Credits being one for me, I love that whole album). I'm guessing the selection will expand on launch. I thought it was cool that they seem to be supporting other interfaces so you don't have to buy the realtone cable. There was also an option to use an app to connect your guitar, but I'm not sure what that entails. I just tried a few easy songs, so I'll have to dig into sitting down with the tools and learning a new song when I have some time.

• Options

edit: Ed Gruberman I tried adding you but nothing was turning up with that username. Can you try to add me when you get a chance? I'm XombieNinja on there.

I've added you, Satan. Once you accept it, then I'll send the invite. And now I'm out of invites.

Just accepted. Thanks a million!

• Options

Just accepted. Thanks a million!

And the beta invite has been sent, @SatanIsMyMotor. Enjoy

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Initial impressions of the beta (big thanks to Ed Gruberman):
    - This version of the game is far more user-friendly wrt how you interact with the game. While you can still use the cord to connect, the addition of the phone app is a big plus and seemed to work really well.
    - Song choice is very barebones. You go through a process of determining your tastes in music to assist with song curation but because the library is so small it doesn't really do much. For example, I like playing the blues but there is only one blues song currently in the beta.
    - I had a weird audio bug where the sound was absolutely blowing out my speakers and the volume was all or nothing. Once I turned off audio exclusivity in the options it was fine but the options say you should have that option on.
    - Lessons are still bare-bones.

All in all I'm impressed so far. The inclusion of the app opens a world of potential. I would LOVE to see them develop some partnerships with someone like Positive Grid and their smart amp.

• Options

I'll take it if it's still available -- hoopmanjh on the Ubisoft thing. Thanks!

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I tried fucking around with getting ASIO to play nice with the game for 20 minutes then gave up on making my interface work and switched back to the RTC. Game's still fun. The current song selection is underwhelming.... hopefully by launch it'll look more like what the RS2014 library looks like now rather than what it currently is.

• Options
  • Options
    @JOE_1967 - Friend request sent!

Thanks!

• Options

Thanks!

Annnnnd invite sent! Enjoy =).

• Options

Thanks!

Annnnnd invite sent! Enjoy =).

Received! Thank you so much!

• Options
    And I just spent some time with it -- mostly brand new songs, but also Hitch a Ride by Boston, which I can play on RS2014 without completely sucking. I appreciate the inclusion of tab, but their implementation is weird and will take some getting used to. And (unless it's there and I missed it because I'm dumb) they really need to give me the option to invert the string order on the note highway (so that low E is on the bottom). Still, I can see spending a lot of time with this, especially if they port most or all of the RS2014 song catalog in addition to the new songs.

• Options
    OK, yes, you can invert the string layout; I was just blind. Settings > My Instrument > String Layout.

• Options
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    FYI, Rocksmith 2011 will be taken off all digital stores next month and the DLC to follow shortly. If you want to get older DLC, get it now.

Also, if you have been using Rocksmith Remastered and want all of the original included Rocksmith tracks, you can get the original RS and spend $10 on the 'import tool'. That will put almost all of those tracks into RS Remastered.

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/rocksmith/plus/news-updates/7tWLbSfgXd5YrUVAC4nW6v/original-rocksmith-2011-leaving-stores

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So the Custom/CDLC site I used to use tended to have a rule that songs were taken down if Rocksmith released it as real DLC. Otherwise, it was fair game.

I wonder if this retroactively makes CDLC songs okay again, since you can't buy them anymore.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Reminder: Rocksmith 2011 won't be for sale on digital storefronts as of October 17th. If you were on the fence, it's time to pull the trigger.

Also start looking at the 2011 DLC which goes away next month.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    The release date for Rocksmith+ on PC has been announced. September 6, 2022.

One spot on the Ubisoft site says:
    ukth5to7koim.png

Whereas another spot says:
    qx8kss4gbhhn.png

So I'm not positive about the price scheme.

I haven't been playing my guitar at all lately but I might sub for a month to try it out when I think I might have some extra time. I typically don't like sub-services, especially for things that I'll likely barely use. For this, I definitely prefer the one-time purchase + DLC model.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Really narrowing their market with the pricing scheme. I won't even come close to wanting to buy it.

• Options
    You can search their song list here: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/rocksmith/plus/song-library

That's for the US. I was pretty turned off on Rocksmith+ because of the subscription, but after looking through the song list a little I'm in the boat where I'll probably at least try it out for a month. I know the list is hit or miss for people, but for me seeing bands like Anathema, My Dying Bride, Katatonia, and Deliverance/Damnation era Opeth stuff has gotten me a little excited. The charts and whatnot are going to determine how I feel going forward.