As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What kind is chip is best [chat]

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Tortilla
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    i am just constantly appalled at what a giant piece of shit Hawkeye is. this is him responding to Black Panther saying he's feeling homesick

Looks like he also made Jarvis the butler brew an unreasonably large cup of hot tea instead of being polite and shrinking to a normal size.

i don't believe he has the ability to change to normal human size

or maybe he just never wants to

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Tortilla
    are hawkeye's bow and arrows also enormous

just lugging around a trick ballista

they are a perfect size for what he needs to do, skippy

if you weren't so obsessed with how big the bow and arrows are, you might enjoy this a little more!

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Tortilla
    slash it's not small it's just that he just got the bow and arrows out of the pool, you see

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Frito
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    They added Romaji to the Japanese course and it's the fucking worst. It actively makes it harder to read because it fucks with the spacing, and you have to like, expend effort not to read it? Because it's in a familiar script. but if you do read it then you're not reading the Japanese script! So it actively makes it more difficult to learn and reduces retention. Ugh.

Romanji is a scourge that should never be used for teaching Japanese. Hiragana and katakana are not hard and phonetic anyway.

Hard agree; Romanji = carryover diphthongs from English = bad

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Tortilla
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    i used to be pretty okay with responsible gun ownership and stuff but gun people have so eroded any credibility i might have once been willing to extend

ban them all, confiscate them all and melt them down

it's well past time the worst elements have ruined it for everybody

yeah gun dudes have basically made my decision for me at this point

literally no concept of responsibility, stewardship, or even basic safety. it's all about posing in your cement block flag basement like you just did an ISIS

and it is a legitimate #NotAllDudes type of thing but i just am beyond my ability to say we're responsible enough to allow that distinction

just get rid of them

I used to argue it but realistically there is an easy way to "take all the guns"

I mean it's 2017 data but back then there were about 270 million reported guns in the US, and 135 million of them were owned by three percent of the US population (again, legally, but I imagine if you back it out to five percent, you'd get another 50 million.

2/3 of the countries firearms supply could be melted just by stepping on the rights of 5% of the US population.

That 5% could not hold an insurrection, their numbers are too low.

It could very, very easily be done with National Guard backing.

……….

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Quest (call for help)
    "I've got a sneering contempt for my old college buddy and his new Republican wife!

I'm going to show up to their wedding, mock them in song, call him a whore, and I'm indifferent to the possibility that someone might curb stomp me

Luckily I just drank their booze and escaped with my teeth; anyway here's my new book"

???

@SummaryJudgment

I'm halfway through listening to this so I figured I'd livetweet you, natch

anyway, I find it very gross; he's in love with having gone to Oxford and his Oxford friend Craig who he looks up to is a grotesque bully

it's comically horrible to invent mean songs where you make fun of someone for being big and awkward as they go by, as he worshipfully reports Craig doing

yikes for sure

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Kettle
    How about everyone is allowed to have one gun. Doesn't matter what kind either. But you're only allowed to have one.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Time to remove all the dead birds from the garden

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    How about everyone is allowed to have one gun. Doesn't matter what kind either. But you're only allowed to have one.

JLdZKeb.png

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    richard powers is going to come give a talk (he wrote _the overstory_ which I really liked) but you can only buy tix to see it as part of a 5 lecture series with other authors

bundles suck, just let me buy the thing I want and not these other things : (

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Malcolm Gladwell peddles dubious pop science and is a plagiarist

he sucks

tell me more cuz i have one bud that is always quoting revisionist history (his podcast) and im always like ok maybe but i dont know enough to refute or confirm but maybe

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Regular Potat
    Davy Crockett gang

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Frito
    My cousin and uncle-in-law are both obsessed with the 1911. I agree that it's a wonderful handgun but I'd have to go with something automatic or a shotgun; I'm going for shock and awe, I ain't shooting womp rats here, I'm defending me and mine

so anyways blunderbuss

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    the downside of counting calories is that i have no idea how many calories are in <a thing> so idk what to actually make or buy

brains are dumb

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Kettle

picking a wife based on what kind of gun they chose

having tons of kids to have more guns (that they then inherit when they come of age)

"but daaaaaad, all my friends have glocks."

"you'll take this S&W revolver and LIKE it, young man. If it was good enough for your grandfather, it's good enough for you!"

Kamiro on
  • Options
    Tortilla
    I came into possession of a free 9mm semi-auto within a week of arriving in TX. I didn't even want it! I don't have any bullets!

Texas tho.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Quest (call for help)
    "I've got a sneering contempt for my old college buddy and his new Republican wife!

I'm going to show up to their wedding, mock them in song, call him a whore, and I'm indifferent to the possibility that someone might curb stomp me

Luckily I just drank their booze and escaped with my teeth; anyway here's my new book"

???

@SummaryJudgment

anyway, I find it very gross; he's in love with having gone to Oxford and his Oxford friend Craig who he looks up to is a grotesque bully

it's comically horrible to invent mean songs where you make fun of someone for being big and awkward as they go by, as he worshipfully reports Craig doing

yikes for sure

Ok I got to the end (of the song, anyway, then I closed it)

He was friends with a cruel bully--who bullied his own wife at their wedding, by making cracks about his conquests!--and then he cruelly bullied both of them, and was shocked when it didn't go over well

everyone in this story is disgusting and I can't handle the fact that it's being told with 0 self-awareness

he's like "if I were smarter, we wouldn't have sung that song..." and it's like, no, this has nothing to do with being smart or stupid. Someone can be dumb as a box of rocks without being an asshole.

Anyway, maybe he made it all up for the laughs.

ok done with my live tweeted hot take

• Options
    Kettle
    Tav wrote: »
    the downside of counting calories is that i have no idea how many calories are in <a thing> so idk what to actually make or buy

brains are dumb

are you using an app at all? a lot of them will have the calories for a bunch of common food items

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Regular Potat
    spool32 wrote: »
    I came into possession of a free 9mm semi-auto within a week of arriving in TX. I didn't even want it! I don't have any bullets!

Texas tho.
    How do you come into possession of a free gun? Was someone handing out samples? Did you loot it off a raider?

cB557 on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Pringle

he sucks

tell me more cuz i have one bud that is always quoting revisionist history (his podcast) and im always like ok maybe but i dont know enough to refute or confirm but maybe
    The suicide by cop episode of Revisionist History was particularly egregious because his "expert" was none other than Ron Martinelli, whose main claim to fame is writing a book on how Black Lives Matter is ACTUALLY a Marxist conspiracy that enriches itself from charitable donations.

EDIT: This being said, I LIKE a lot of episodes of Revisionist History, but Malcolm Gladwell is WAY up his own ass sometimes. He's, unfortunately, a fantastic communicator, but a lot of his fans mistake his wordsmithing with actual competence. He taps into a very specific kind of mindset of "Oh, the rest of the sheep out there think THIS, but the REALITY is THIS!", which is quite seductive.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Tortilla
    Honestly, lego gun didn't bother me. I think it's an interesting piece of art and if someone out Yale Art did it we'd consider it differently.

It's not any more lethal than a regular gun-- we only let our children play with factory Glocks! -- and every gun should be secured in a locked safe; leaving anything unsecured is a 100% failure state.

I imagine anyone getting this probably has a collection of guns, and the storage solution to match. Not the .38 hidden up in a closet that Johnnie is gonna find.

Swimming pools are the pound-for-pound champ for killing your kids, anyways

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Kettle
    Honestly, lego gun didn't bother me. I think it's an interesting piece of art and if someone out Yale Art did it we'd consider it differently.

It's not any more lethal than a regular gun-- we only let our children play with factory Glocks! -- and every gun should be secured in a locked safe; leaving anything unsecured is a 100% failure state.

I imagine anyone getting this probably has a collection of guns, and the storage solution to match. Not the .38 hidden up in a closet that Johnnie is gonna find.

you seem to assume a lot about people when we've got plenty of examples where people are dumb and negligent

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »

brains are dumb

are you using an app at all? a lot of them will have the calories for a bunch of common food items

i'm using myfitnesspal!

i should probably just google "500cal meals" or whatever to get an idea of things

• Options
    Kettle

brains are dumb

i'm using myfitnesspal!

i should probably just google "500cal meals" or whatever to get an idea of things

ah yeah, that's what I used to use.

or do you mean you're trying to get calories for like "chicken tikka masala"? ah, yeah that would be more annoying to calculate

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Time to remove all the dead birds from the garden

They certainly decompose quickly on a sunny day. Also maggots hatch very quickly

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options

brains are dumb

i'm using myfitnesspal!

ah yeah, that's what I used to use.

or do you mean you're trying to get calories for like "chicken tikka masala"? ah, yeah that would be more annoying to calculate

basically before i was like "i wanna eat pizza" and then i'd order a pizza

now i'm like "i should probably have something that's like 500 calories to stick to my goal" but i dunno what that is! A burger? A burrito? Sadly looking at a picture of fries? Who knows!

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Tortilla

you seem to assume a lot about people when we've got plenty of examples where people are dumb and negligent

right but the gun is not transmogrified into an unsafe thing by virtue of being covered in legos

it was always absolutely unsafe

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Tortilla
    Honestly I think if the government said no guns and owning them is a hardcore felony 99.9% of gun owners would grumble and turn their guns in.

If you did generous tax credits of say 125% MSRP you would kill a huge chunk of that grumbling.

It's that .1% that you've gotta worry about.

• Options
    Tortilla
    cB557 wrote: »

Texas tho.
    How do you come into possession of a free gun? Was someone handing out samples? Did you loot it off a raider?

Won it in the gunfight you're required to hold when you return to TX from elsewhere. I'm a pretty quick draw round these here parts.

Or a family member didn't want it and they were like here, have this 9mm since you're back in TX.

It was one of those

• Options
    Quest (call for help)

he sucks

He lifted passages from other people which doesn't make him wrong, but does suck (easy to google just w malcolm gladwell plagiarism)

re peddling pop science, my understanding is that in his books he does the thing where he cherry-picks a few articles from a wide range of trendy fields, like neuroscience, economics, social psych, etc., presents them as fact (without doing a literature review to see if they are anomalous results or how they cohere with other work in the field) and then constructs super-speculative but intuitively satisfying stories to tie them all together (despite being from radically disparate fields and not clearly relating!) and then presents the result as science (tm), which people eat up because it's more fun than actual science. People want fun stories, not error bars and lit reviews.

But also i am not an expert on his work, this is just what I've absorbed via cultural osmosis

• Options
    Tortilla

brains are dumb

i'm using myfitnesspal!

A thing I do is look at the Blue Apron app, and then go buy the foods they're trying to sell to you and just make their recipes.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

???

SummaryJudgment

yikes for sure

Damn, tough crowd.

I thought we were all sick of "I did a great thing and it was great and then everyone clapped stories"

Stories where people are shits, now that's what I need.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Tortilla
    I use the Samsung health app that comes with my phone to track my calories.

It works really well if you bother to actually enter your meals! Which I only do in bits and spurts but I'm trying to do better.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Texas tho.

"Order a Whataburger bacon cheeseburger combo and get a free pistol with purchase!"

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Pringle

he sucks

He lifted passages from other people which doesn't make him wrong, but does suck (easy to google just w malcolm gladwell plagiarism)

re peddling pop science, my understanding is that in his books he does the thing where he cherry-picks a few articles from a wide range of trendy fields, like neuroscience, economics, social psych, etc., presents them as fact (without doing a literature review to see if they are anomalous results or how they cohere with other work in the field) and then constructs super-speculative but intuitively satisfying stories to tie them all together (despite being from radically disparate fields and not clearly relating!) and then presents the result as science (tm), which people eat up because it's more fun than actual science. People want fun stories, not error bars and lit reviews.

But also i am not an expert on his work, this is just what I've absorbed via cultural osmosis
    7du7v5m1x1p7.png

The alt text is particularly hilarious: "I hear Steven Levitt is writing a book analyzing A.J. Jacobs' quest to spend a year reading everything Malcolm Gladwell ever wrote. The audiobook will be narrated by Robert Krulwich of Radiolab."

I like the Michael Lewis approach to things, where he finds interesting PEOPLE and talks to them and tells their story rather than weaving a story around disparate facts to "prove" things via confirmation bias. It's a shame what happened to his daughter, though, this year. :(

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Tortilla
    emnmnme wrote: »

Texas tho.

"Order a Whataburger bacon cheeseburger combo and get a free pistol with purchase!"

the bbq sauce on that thing is really good

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

he sucks

His work is infotainment for sure, not serious scholarship.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

Texas tho.

you know how your non texas doctor might have lollipops they hand out?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Quest (call for help)
    JebusUD wrote: »

???

SummaryJudgment

yikes for sure

Damn, tough crowd.

I thought we were all sick of "I did a great thing and it was great and then everyone clapped stories"

Stories where people are shits, now that's what I need.

my read on how he tells the story is that it actually is "I did a great thing and everyone clapped"; he puts on a show of remorse for the fact that his friendship ended, but without seeming to process or regret that he ended it by being a shit; with respect to what he did, still proud to this day of the sick burns

But also I obviously went in predisposed to dislike him, which undoubtedly influenced my reaction

This discussion has been closed.