As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Nope, you still can't buy anything

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Not everything has DLSS or FXSR support.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    This thing plays Rust like an absolute dream
    9ee7k61kw75z.jpg

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2021
    Mugsley wrote: »
    9ee7k61kw75z.jpg
    I bet it's great for compiling Rust too

zerzhul on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    If you're on an OLED anyway, consider just running it unscaled. Maybe it's just cause I'm using a 48" screen at like a meter away, but just running it windowed, with the true black background around it still looks really good

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    If you're on an OLED anyway, consider just running it unscaled. Maybe it's just cause I'm using a 48" screen at like a meter away, but just running it windowed, with the true black background around it still looks really good

I just set up a desktop again (after a long time using a living room PC), and I went with a 48" OLED wall mounted as my main display, across a 30" desk, so about 3' between me and the screen.

So far so good. I haven't tried gaming windowed yet, but I may give it a shot -- it will definitely be nostalgic since some of my earliest gaming was on those forerunner MMOs with chunky UIs like Everquest and UO.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    9ee7k61kw75z.jpg

Comes preinstalled with TetanOS

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    I picked up a 1TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe drive. Now I'm looking for some sort of SATA enclosure/adapter to repurpose the 512GB NVMe drive I'll be removing.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I picked up a 1TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe drive. Now I'm looking for some sort of SATA enclosure/adapter to repurpose the 512GB NVMe drive I'll be removing.

PCI-e adapter. Surely you have an extra PCI-e slot...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I'd pay the extra $7 and get the dual socket one tbh

• Options
    That's actually cheaper than the external enclosures (that will run slower anyway). I'll double check my board tonight.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    I'd pay the extra $7 and get the dual socket one tbh

The dual one fits one B key and one M key drive, I feel like most people just have M key drives.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I'd also get a name brand version. Yes, those are just straight traces, but having run into enough EMI and crosstalk problems in my professional life I don't trust even simple designs to be robust from no-name vendors.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Watching StockX, 3080 Ti's are down to ~25% over MSRP. Signs i might be able to upgrade the 2080 Ti in my sim rig sometime before climate change kills us all? Mayhaps.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I saw a 6800XT in stock on Amazon for under £1000, so I guess it's getting better. That's not even 100% over MSRP!

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2021
    Oh, the megaultrawide Odyssey G9 Neo has finally been given a release date of July 29th.

It supposedly has DisplayHDR2000.

This will be me after I get one and boot up cyberpunk.

7oiuc3aw3h5o.gif

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    ....What? HDR2000? That's absurd if true. My 1000 nit TV is bright AF from 7 feet away. I can't even imagine.

e: VESA says Samsung and Acer are full of shit: https://www.pcgamer.com/displayhdr-2000-false-vesa-samsung-acer/

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Flashlight attachments in FPS games will have a real advantage, can burn out the eyeballs of players using that monitor.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Watching StockX, 3080 Ti's are down to ~25% over MSRP. Signs i might be able to upgrade the 2080 Ti in my sim rig sometime before climate change kills us all? Mayhaps.

honestly, I'm not sure it's THAT big a jump from a 2080ti. Probably only like 30-40%

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Spoit wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »

honestly, I'm not sure it's THAT big a jump from a 2080ti. Probably only like 30-40%

30-40% is a big jump when you're hardware limited in the VR use case. Getting more stable frame rate, and better resolution, in sim racing, my primary VR use case, is worth the upgrade cost to me once I can get one at mostly MSRP from a reputable source.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Yo, did something happen to PCPartPicker? Just tried going there, and it's requiring a captcha security check just to access the site (not logging into any account). Even Googling PCPP is showing some weird results (the account login page is the first result, but the rest of the results are ads and/or social media sites).

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    yay my prebuilt pc is shipping soon!

but that means I need to choose a monitor, can y'all help?

the pc has a geforce 3070, so it seems like a 1440p monitor with a high refresh rate is what I should be aiming for?

I looked at rtings - https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/1440p-144hz - and the top pick (ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ) is $187 cheaper than the top gsync pick (ViewSonic ELITE XG270QG 27)

except, amazon is also selling a similar model (ViewSonic Elite XG270Q) with a 165 refresh rate for cheaper than either of those???

anyone have a helpful thought on how to choose? I did some noob research and can't tell if freesync is fine or if having the real deal gsync is important, idgi why the higher refresh rate viewsonic is cheaper, etc

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

the pc has a geforce 3070, so it seems like a 1440p monitor with a high refresh rate is what I should be aiming for?

I looked at rtings - https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/1440p-144hz - and the top pick (ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ) is $187 cheaper than the top gsync pick (ViewSonic ELITE XG270QG 27)

except, amazon is also selling a similar model (ViewSonic Elite XG270Q) with a 165 refresh rate for cheaper than either of those???

anyone have a helpful thought on how to choose? I did some noob research and can't tell if freesync is fine or if having the real deal gsync is important, idgi why the higher refresh rate viewsonic is cheaper, etc

Get something with HDR600 at least. You will regret not getting it. It's more important than 120 vs 144 vs 165 hz. As long as you're 120+ it's fine.

I still suggest either a Samsung CH70 or G7 for 1440p gaming. One's a little older (the CH70), both have big HDR zones so you notice the HDR on black backgrounds with white objects, but for just AAA gaming they look fairly incredible and it's really, really, really fucking hard to go back.

If you've got the ducats to blow on the G7, it's likely the best monitor for the money on the market right now, especially since it has GSync.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    e: Derp we just talked about this...*forehead slap*. Work is making me tired.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    gBAZgBAZ Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Yay, my new pc arrived. It is up and running now.

Now I need a complete dirty list of windows settings for anything privacy related (as I know a lot of it is hidden/buried throughout windows10)

gBAZ on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

I think the only way to buy a monitor is to pick a price point you're comfortable spending, and then look at the monitors around that price. The G7 is an awesome monitor. It is also $700.

I posted this video before, it's recent and they are generally pretty good on monitor assessments:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPqOfTnU2j4

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So, I got my new memory and they're working well but my current bottleneck is honestly my CPU. It's an intel 6600k and it's beginning to show its age. The major problem I'm having though isn't so much the stuff I normally do, as that I want to do streaming and that's starting to run into the wall of maxed out CPU usage. There are three potential ways I could see to solve this problem.
    1. Buy a new CPU, something from the last year or two, hope the increase does the trick.
    2. Buy or Build a dedicated streaming PC, theoretically not too expensive since it's only handling half of the work.
    3. Get a laptop for it. This is the one I know the least about, and the pricing is more of a mystery to me too. Not sure if this is a viable option or not (at least, not if I don't want to spend more than I would on a dedicated PC anyway)

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    There is no world in which a laptop is less expensive than a desktop for equivalent horsepower.

It may be more convenient because it's portable however.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Yo, did something happen to PCPartPicker? Just tried going there, and it's requiring a captcha security check just to access the site (not logging into any account). Even Googling PCPP is showing some weird results (the account login page is the first result, but the rest of the results are ads and/or social media sites).

I just went there and got the standard page and nothing that you're describing. You're going to pcpartpicker.com, right?

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Orca wrote: »
    There is no world in which a laptop is less expensive than a desktop for equivalent horsepower.

Hmm, that's fair. I suppose one way to go about it would be to replace all the bits in my current PC that are older (as I've done with my RAM) then use those when building a second one, which would reduce the cost overall since I'm going to be upgrading my main PC either way. Not sure what CPU I'd go for though, since I've heard the current generation of intel stuff isn't as competitive.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »

Hmm, that's fair. I suppose one way to go about it would be to replace all the bits in my current PC that are older (as I've done with my RAM) then use those when building a second one, which would reduce the cost overall since I'm going to be upgrading my main PC either way. Not sure what CPU I'd go for though, since I've heard the current generation of intel stuff isn't as competitive.

AMD is currently mopping the floor with Intel, yes.

Next gen may be different, Adler lake has had some performance leaks that show it crushing, but we've seen these leaks before and they usually end up being edge cases. So as with anything, wait for benchmarks.

Next gen chips are also bringing DDR5, PCIe 5, and USB 4.0.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Do not listen to performance claims from the manufacturers, wait for independent benchmarks. Metrics from the manufacturers are always trying to sell you their product. Be advertisement aware.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Also isn't the next gen of AMD chips going to require a new socket? So it's not like you're married into the brand when the next gen comes around anyways, right?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Also isn't the next gen of AMD chips going to require a new socket? So it's not like you're married into the brand when the next gen comes around anyways, right?

Yup. I'm looking to do a completely open air ITX build next time. Adler lake is going to be Intels first foray into BIGlittle so I'm hesitant on that, whereas as far as I know Zen4 is just the next generation Zen chiplet design.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    sigh. Got a ASUS 3090 yesterday. But it seems DOA. screen flickers briefly when it is powered on, but no POST. Q-codes cycle through 00, 0a, 07, 53, de, ad. tried re-seating, but same result. RGB lights up, fans spin, at least on power on, but eventually shut off. prior to installation, I uninstalled nvidia drivers

one of the codes indicates a memory error, but my system RAM has been working fine, unless the qcodes actually test vram

I had been previously been using a borrowed 2080 which had been working fine. System returns to normal when I re-install the 2080.

Anything I'm missing? This would be my first video card DOA

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    sigh. Got a ASUS 3090 yesterday. But it seems DOA. screen flickers briefly when it is powered on, but no POST. Q-codes cycle through 00, 0a, 07, 53, de, ad. tried re-seating, but same result. RGB lights up, fans spin, at least on power on, but eventually shut off. prior to installation, I uninstalled nvidia drivers

one of the codes indicates a memory error, but my system RAM has been working fine, unless the qcodes actually test vram

I had been previously been using a borrowed 2080 which had been working fine. System returns to normal when I re-install the 2080.

Your PSU isn't choking up is it?

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    VoodooV wrote: »

Your PSU isn't choking up is it?

how would I know? brand new 1000 watt Corsair HX1000i

• Options
    my understanding is that the PCIE power connectors have a LED that lights up if they are being underpowered. despite the RGB kinda drowning things out a bit, I don't see any LEDs like that

• Options
    edited July 2021
    cycled power again. this time, within 5 seconds, system powered itself off and back on, repeated this like 4-5 times before it stopped, different series of q-codes.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    each of the 3 8pin PCIE connectors is using its own dedicated cable. the end of each of the cables has a 2nd 8pin connector, but I'm not those at all.

This discussion has been closed.