As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Lives Matter

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Between the old man SWAT'ed for this @Tennessee Twitter account and a Florida man that demanded hero Tony remove a man mid seizure to "die somewhere else', I'm being reminded that bad cops are only 2/3rds the problem

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Toronto police destroyed a small homeless encampment over the weekend and brutalized protestors.

The mayor blamed protestors for inciting violence and then claimed that he hadn't seen any of the photographs and videos that were taken of the police assaulting peaceful protestors, despite him and his office being tagged on social media for hours before his statement was made. Said basically "we don't know what happened so we need to collect evidence" despite having voted against body cameras last year.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Tearing down homeless encampments seems like the weirdest fucking thing to me of acknowledging that you have a huge homeless problem but you don’t want to look at it or help fix the issue that causes them to be homeless.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    They just want them to go be homeless somewhere else, preferably near some poor people, not like the good people, who have money

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    They tore it down so someone could film a movie in the park today. It's a closed set right now.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    The homeless encampments in Sorry to Bother You were not made just for filming.

• Options
    Thing that always strikes me about homeless camps is that it points out the people you should watch out for. They typically don't chase a dude off while wielding pvc pipes for little things

I hate that this job let me know that

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    you gotta consider though, what are the homeless supposed to do other than camp? just die? is that fair? is that not easily preventable?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    you gotta consider though, what are the homeless supposed to do other than camp? just die? is that fair? is that not easily preventable?

Yes. Instead of the easy solution of just giving the homeless homes, that's anathema to capitalism so yes people would prefer they just die. It must be their fault after all so why think about them as people.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

Yes. Instead of the easy solution of just giving the homeless homes, that's anathema to capitalism so yes people would prefer they just die. It must be their fault after all so why think about them as people.

I seem to recall some pilot program where Arizona or Utah or somewhere did just that, and for most of the people on the program it worked - they ended up stably employed and paying their own expenses after a while. (And of course, paying taxes, which long-term means the state recovers some of the costs, if not all, depending on how you model things etc)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

I seem to recall some pilot program where Arizona or Utah or somewhere did just that, and for most of the people on the program it worked - they ended up stably employed and paying their own expenses after a while. (And of course, paying taxes, which long-term means the state recovers some of the costs, if not all, depending on how you model things etc)

Yeah the biggest problem stopping people without homes from getting away from that situation is the fact they don't have a home.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    (And of course, yeah - some people it's not going to work for because of mental health issues or otherwise... in which case you should be getting those people the care they need. And if it's impossible for them to ever live on their own, oh well, it should work out to an insignificant cost on the budget anyways to keep taking care of them since the vast majority of people shouldn't be in that group)

Polaritie on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea there's been a few pilot programs where they've provided housing and it solves so many other problems, and like just about everything else, paying for it up front is FAR cheaper than trying to pay for it on the back end when folks have already started having negative outcomes like serious medical problems or jail time.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    you can't help homeless people address their situation because then you couldn't use their situation as a fear tool to coerce people to work shit ass jobs without question

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    It's called the "Housing First" approach - first get people housing so they can start working on their other problems, because it's damn near impossible to deal with any of the rest of them without a safe place to sleep at night, and having that security takes out a lot of stress that really amps up the mental and emotional illnesses in the first place.

"Housing First" has been piloted successfully in Denver, Utah (mainly Salt Lake City), Los Angeles, Seattle, and lots of other cities and states. It freaking works, both on on an economic level and a basic humanitarian level. But rich assholes would rather see another zero get added to their personal stock values while half the world burns and the other half floods.

Mayabird on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I feel like every few years I see a new program "discovering" that if you give homeless people housing, it is the single most effective way to help get them back on their feet, and I believe it also ends up being amongst the cheaper options for helping homelessness.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I absolutely believe that cop can tell when they interact with a person and the situation will escalate, but it ain't for the reasons he's thinkin

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Oh you can tell within a moment whether someone you pull over is going to require escalation?

Weird.

Almost as if your overriding belief system about what kind of person someone is decides how you choose to respond rather than their actual bahavior....

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Hilarious he stumbles like red guardian

Speeches don't work, just don't be a dick and stop .......*gesticulates at everything* you know?

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Honestly, a common trend you see with shitty individuals is that they aren't interested in fixing problems for whatever reason, but are quite willing to spend tons of fucking reasons on making sure things that put them in a bad light aren't easily visible, while also doing marketing to paint individuals down on their luck as being moochers.

It's not just with the homeless issues that you see this on. If you're able to go into a public school, you'll note a very distinct lack of individuals with disabilities. Only times you might see them most days is during the start of school hours when people are coming in, during lunch hours and of course when school ends. A ton of schools, if not all of them, in the US make a very distinct point of warehousing all the students with disabilities they can get away with. It has fuck all to do with best outcome. I have a sibling with a learning disabilities and my parents had to fight tooth and nail to make sure that sibling was included in regular classes because research showed that would actually be the best thing for that sibling. I'm not sure how much of the resistance was a result of it "being hard" and how much of that was a result of the fact that the bigots didn't like the idea that some kid with a noticeable disability both physically and mentally, was interacting with the "normal kids" (not seriously define "normal") and that might result in those kids realizing that a ton of stereotypes about individuals with disabilities are rather mean spirited bullshit.

Anyways, cities that crack down on homeless encampments and pan handlers are usually doing lots of other shitty things and the crack down is all a control thing. They don't want people questioning policy and a large homeless population and a large population in obvious poverty does make people start questioning things. Hell, once you factor out the people with mental health issues that have led to them being homeless, you have to wonder how many of the remaining are homeless because of petty bullshit. How many of those people can't land a job because a bunch of assholes didn't like how they look? How many get denied work because they do the so called bullshit thing of learning to negotiate and the employers decide they don't want to pay them a fair wage, let alone let them mingle with the rest of the rubes and inform those rubes that they are being given a shit deal? How many of those people have medical issues that require accommodations and employers decided they just can't be bothered to do basic accommodations because they claim it's hard, but it's really they don't like the idea that they can't run the business like their own little fiefdom.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I am not sure how this is possible even after reading the article, but according to CNN, Ted Cruz is single-handedly blocking over 60 foreign diplomatic appointments despite overwhelming bipartisan support for all nominated individuals.

Basically, any Senator can demand a full examination and debate of any nominated official. Usually they don't, because they have lots of other shit to do, but Ted Cruz is a special kind of asshole.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    So, Tunisian guy won gold today, but the Facebook post that listed it called him
    "indigenous afrodescended."

The rage at this is of a similar breed as the annoyance I felt at the captain Phillips movie, which one particular pirate event that was a us victory rather than the us couple who died, or the French family killed accidentally killed by French 'rescuers,' or the tsunami, or the poaching, or the dumping of toxic waste

But then I realized that anyone using the term 'indigenous' probably has some clue about the issues at standing rock, serial killers at the Mexican border exploiting America's policies to murder, and countless other issues.

So I buried my love and hate, again. Because Americans are infuriatingly tone deaf, but more often than not, want to help.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I am not sure how this is possible even after reading the article, but according to CNN, Ted Cruz is single-handedly blocking over 60 foreign diplomatic appointments despite overwhelming bipartisan support for all nominated individuals.

Basically, any Senator can demand a full examination and debate of any nominated official. Usually they don't, because they have lots of other shit to do, but Ted Cruz is a special kind of asshole.

It’s also at least the second time he’s pulled this exact stunt! He did it during Obama’s terms too!

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So apparently in a city in Michigan, some school students held a mock slave auction. And when the students became kinda concerned about that (also, apparently, the homophobia, transphobia, and anti-Semitism that is also pervasive), certain parents became convinced that the problem was Critical Race Theory. This city is also apparently about 80% white.

But don't worry, those parents swear they aren't racist.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    So apparently in a city in Michigan, some school students held a mock slave auction. And when the students became kinda concerned about that (also, apparently, the homophobia, transphobia, and anti-Semitism that is also pervasive), certain parents became convinced that the problem was Critical Race Theory. This city is also apparently about 80% white.

But don't worry, those parents swear they aren't racist.

So close

Also, while picking cotton at a farm in the middle of the summer is a bad idea to use to teach about slavery, would a single cotton plant in a classroom to be passed around suffice?

• Options
    EXCLUSIVE: I've confirmed two elderly victims of the #LAPDBlast have died, including this woman's husband, 72-year-old Auzie Houchins, a retired teacher who was relocated without his oxygen tank or hospital bed.

His family believes the incident contributed to his death.
    More than a week after the LAPD detonation, neighbors are still figuring out what to do and nervous about going public with their complaints against the police. This woman and her husband were physically unable to evacuate because of disabilities.

More: https://bit.ly/2Tb4jhK
    Gochez is vice president of the South Central Neighborhood Council, which unanimously approved his motion urging accountability from the LAPD.

“Just like the man who stored all those fireworks and was selling it. He was arrested. He had his day in court and he’s going to face legal consequences. The people who made the decision to detonate that in my community also need to face legal consequences,” Gochez said.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    They'll likely add to the charges against the person who made the fireworks instead is my guess.

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    They'll likely add to the charges against the person who made the fireworks instead is my guess.

Any decent lawyer should be able to get those thrown out if they do, but odds are they won't have that, so you know, fuck the system, etc.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    https://itsgoingdown.org/canadian-tire-fire-7/

Protests in Canada after the RCMP set an attack dog on, then murdered, a Wet’suwet’en man in Vancouver

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    So how many capital police officers need to die before we get a blue lives matter march? Because we now know the number isn't 3.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Blue lives only matter when they exist to support white hegemony

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The people who would organize and walk in a blue line march are the same people who attacked the capitol police

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Blue lives only matter when they exist to support white hegemony

Also folksy folks, who are too cowardly to wave the Confederate flag in public, types as well= Blue Lives Matters /"Upside down, black/blue Merican Flags", that only former White Military Folks, get to desicrate from the original American Flag designs, where I'm sure there is a USMC law that means jail time in the brig for that oversight?

Oh what's that? Please refer to the, "Ok, NOT OKay" Family Guy gif ,for the answer!

Yeah, Blue Lives, Black and Blue American Flags equals, "I'm too much of a coward to wave around the Ol Confederate Flag."

• Options
    Four, four Capitol cops dead since the January coupe attempt due to suicide.

That is the most fucked sentence about my motherland I have to write, considering my fatherland is Somalia, nothing in my motherland should qualify as fucked.

Yet here we are

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Hobnail on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I don't really understand. Is the implication that their defense of the capitol is linked to their suicides? Or that they weren't really suicides?

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I don't really understand. Is the implication that their defense of the capitol is linked to their suicides? Or that they weren't really suicides?

Even in the context of ACAB, it's a workplace where people came in and killed their coworkers, and after half their bosses decided to make the killers into heroes while the other half didn't seem that interested in dealing with the killers either. That's the kind of hostile workplace that fucks with people's mental health.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

Even in the context of ACAB, it's a workplace where people came in and killed their coworkers, and after half their bosses decided to make the killers into heroes while the other half didn't seem that interested in dealing with the killers either. That's the kind of hostile workplace that fucks with people's mental health.

I have to imagine there is also the unsurety of whether or not another attempt will happen

It isn't like much of anything has been done to prevent more violence like that, and the Republicans especially lionizing the rioters probably doesn't help much with fears about another such event with a worse outcome

Having to live with knowing your workplace is under direct threat with no end in sight is probably pretty rough when the previous threats may have been the occasional lone wolf or overenthusiastic tourist

Also the riot likely caused PTSD for a lot of folks who may or may not have had their own mental health issues before, too

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
This discussion has been closed.