Options

[MENA] The Middle East and North Africa

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    There is no reality where a Trump-led withdrawal isn't infinitely worse.

No doubt.

This is just getting started, though, so we shouldn't take that as a comfort.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    The whole "we brought the light of reason and liberty vs the brutal taliban" schtick we're getting everywhere is pretty exhausting. We funded death squads, we looked the other way on child sex trafficking, we shoveled truckloads of money into the hands of some of the worst people alive because their cruelty and barbarism aligned with our interests.

Idk I saw a photo this morning of someone falling several hundred feet from an ascending aircraft in their desperation to escape. At some point this "well the other guy would do even worse" just seems obscene

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Yes, we improved lives for some people, but we still should have gotten the fuck out.

When would have been the optimal time to leave?

Immediately after we got all the refugees out.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    If you’re going to tel me the primary reason for women not being educated in the first place (an organization well known for their violence towards women) that has now retaken power and will suddenly accept women who were educated in their absence, then i don’t think there’s anything here to discuss. I feel like this is absurdly optimistic, to put it as nicely as possible.

The alternative so far is the bunch of borderline suicidal posts coming from vets on Twitter about the sheer pointless of it all. The "grim happiness" essay making the rounds.

The only alternative to withdrawal is occupation.

I'm saying that even with this withdrawal some of the changes that occurred during occupation thanks to the oppressive force of the Taliban being curtailed, at least for a time, could lead to better outcomes in the future than had occupation never happened at all.

I guess we'll see.

I don't put a whole lot of faith in religious zealots to be cool about it.

Religious zealots didn't like it when the printing press and rising literacy rates made it possible for laypeople to read the Bible for themselves. The first guy to translate the Bible into English was in fact betrayed and executed as a heretic, but the genie couldn't be put back in the bottle despite attempts by religious zealots to do so.

I mean sure

But also the ME was fairly modern in the 1960s

So it kind of looks like you absolutely can put that genie back in.

Well then I guess it was all pointless and the people who oppose oppression should just give up and submit to their rule.

It wasn't pontless.

A lot of people made a lot of money off of a lot of suffering, and now they left the country to rot.

The literacy rate went from 8% to 43%, a generation of women grew up knowing greater freedoms, maternal mortality halved, life expectancy increased, access to clean drinking water went from 16% to 89% in cities, etc. You can't just ignore all those things because they're inconvenient to the narrative that the U.S. presence was entirely negative.

I don't think anybody is ignoring them

if you want to argue that the U.S. should indefinitely continue to prop up an at-least-relatively-egalitarian society in afghan cities at the point of the bayonet (or the drone, as the case may be) then fair enough. I don't think it's irrelevant that the U.S.' values are better than our British and Soviet predecessors in-theater, either. But that sort of benevolent colonialism was considered a bridge too far even for the Bush administration, not least because it's really hard to make the case without sounding like Winston Churchill.

The two major sides I see regarding the current situation are 1) the U.S. is abandoning Afghanistan to the Taliban, who will be enforcing their brand of oppression upon the populace and 2) the U.S. should have never been in Afghanistan in the first place and should have let whatever happened play out.

The decision to go to Aghanistan in was made 20 years ago, and the lives of many of the people of Afghanistan improved as a consequence of the U.S. presence. The best we can hope for now is that the gains in literacy and the 20 years of greater freedoms for women help inspire resistance against the Taliban by the people of Afghanistan.

Personally, I feel it was irresponsible to leave without a means to ensure that the progress the people of Afghanistan had benefited from during the U.S. presence couldn't be easily taken away.

And how, exactly, were we supposed to do that, when we couldn't in 20 years? As people have pointed out, your argument - no matter how good intentioned it might be - ultimately is an argument for indefinite occupation.

If Afghanistan was always doomed to fail then I guess we should have brought over as many people as refugees as possible to help them escape both the Taliban and corruption within the U.S. occupation force.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    If you’re going to tel me the primary reason for women not being educated in the first place (an organization well known for their violence towards women) that has now retaken power and will suddenly accept women who were educated in their absence, then i don’t think there’s anything here to discuss. I feel like this is absurdly optimistic, to put it as nicely as possible.

The alternative so far is the bunch of borderline suicidal posts coming from vets on Twitter about the sheer pointless of it all. The "grim happiness" essay making the rounds.

I'm saying that even with this withdrawal some of the changes that occurred during occupation thanks to the oppressive force of the Taliban being curtailed, at least for a time, could lead to better outcomes in the future than had occupation never happened at all.

I guess we'll see.

Religious zealots didn't like it when the printing press and rising literacy rates made it possible for laypeople to read the Bible for themselves. The first guy to translate the Bible into English was in fact betrayed and executed as a heretic, but the genie couldn't be put back in the bottle despite attempts by religious zealots to do so.

I mean sure

Well then I guess it was all pointless and the people who oppose oppression should just give up and submit to their rule.

It wasn't pontless.

A lot of people made a lot of money off of a lot of suffering, and now they left the country to rot.

The literacy rate went from 8% to 43%, a generation of women grew up knowing greater freedoms, maternal mortality halved, life expectancy increased, access to clean drinking water went from 16% to 89% in cities, etc. You can't just ignore all those things because they're inconvenient to the narrative that the U.S. presence was entirely negative.

if you want to argue that the U.S. should indefinitely continue to prop up an at-least-relatively-egalitarian society in afghan cities at the point of the bayonet (or the drone, as the case may be) then fair enough. I don't think it's irrelevant that the U.S.' values are better than our British and Soviet predecessors in-theater, either. But that sort of benevolent colonialism was considered a bridge too far even for the Bush administration, not least because it's really hard to make the case without sounding like Winston Churchill.

The two major sides I see regarding the current situation are 1) the U.S. is abandoning Afghanistan to the Taliban, who will be enforcing their brand of oppression upon the populace and 2) the U.S. should have never been in Afghanistan in the first place and should have let whatever happened play out.

The decision to go to Aghanistan in was made 20 years ago, and the lives of many of the people of Afghanistan improved as a consequence of the U.S. presence. The best we can hope for now is that the gains in literacy and the 20 years of greater freedoms for women help inspire resistance against the Taliban by the people of Afghanistan.

Personally, I feel it was irresponsible to leave without a means to ensure that the progress the people of Afghanistan had benefited from during the U.S. presence couldn't be easily taken away.

And how, exactly, were we supposed to do that, when we couldn't in 20 years? As people have pointed out, your argument - no matter how good intentioned it might be - ultimately is an argument for indefinite occupation.

The issue is that ultimately we have yet to find a solution for the problem of other fellow human beings over there suffering horrible in various ways that is actually feasible or functional.

Which leaves us stuck with both something like "the Taliban are stoning women to death for wearing tight clothing" and "20 years of admittedly incompetently run occupation weren't able to actually fix that".

shryke on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I guess we'll see.

I mean sure

It wasn't pontless.

If Afghanistan was always doomed to fail then I guess we should have brought over as many people as refugees as possible to help them escape both the Taliban and corruption within the U.S. occupation force.

Probably.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Yes, we improved lives for some people, but we still should have gotten the fuck out.

When would have been the optimal time to leave?

I think the point people are trying to make to you is that whether it had been ten years ago, today or ten years from now, it would still have looked like this.

• Options
    I'd really rather not imagine what Trump would do in an alternative universe where he won the election.

Watching the planes with crowds of people climbing onto them, desperate to get inside, is heartbreaking enough that I don't want to explore what it would look like if the people responsible were gleeful about it.

I'm not sitting here fucking happy that Biden has only fucked this up this much.

Similarly I couldn't give two fucks what Republicans are saying about all of this. They'd have something to fucking say no matter what. In some alternate universe where we got the refugees out, R state governors are on CNN telling reporters "They're not coming to my state!" so they can just fuck the fuck off forever.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    With my limited knowledge of the culture and region, I don't know of a better option than just relocating everyone to a less terrorist-filled place and granting them citizenship there. But that was never going to happen.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

I guess we'll see.

I mean sure

It wasn't pontless.

If Afghanistan was always doomed to fail then I guess we should have brought over as many people as refugees as possible.

Everyone in Afghanistan with reason to fear oppression or harm under the Taliban would probably fill up a Los Angeles sized city. And I don’t mean “would probably fill the capacity of such a city to take refugees” I mean that you could literally go out in Wyoming or somewhere, build a city with housing for 8 or so million people, and fill it up with legitimate asylum seeking refugees from a Taliban run Afghanistan.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    I'd really rather not imagine what Trump would do in an alternative universe where he won the election.

Watching the planes with crowds of people climbing onto them, desperate to get inside, is heartbreaking enough that I don't want to explore what it would look like if the people responsible were gleeful about it.

I'm not sitting here fucking happy that Biden has only fucked this up this much.

Similarly I couldn't give two fucks what Republicans are saying about all of this. They'd have something to fucking say no matter what. In some alternate universe where we got the refugees out, R state governors are on CNN telling reporters "They're not coming to my state!" so they can just fuck the fuck off forever.

Look at what Stephen Miller has been on about recently re: afghan refugees with a dash of the Trump Kurd pullout and that's basically the core of what Trump would have been doing in this situation imo.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

I guess we'll see.

I mean sure

It wasn't pontless.

If Afghanistan was always doomed to fail then I guess we should have brought over as many people as refugees as possible.

Everyone in Afghanistan with reason to fear oppression or harm under the Taliban would probably fill up a Los Angeles sized city. And I don’t mean “would probably fill the capacity of such a city to take refugees” I mean that you could literally go out in Wyoming or somewhere, build a city with housing for 8 or so million people, and fill it up with legitimate asylum seeking refugees from a Taliban run Afghanistan.

Ok

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Part of the issue is that several of you are making the arguement that the good done over the last 20 years was unsustainable without American support.

The rest of us agree.

You then follow up with words that imply it was a mistake to try from the start.

That us where we disagree.

• Options

I guess we'll see.

I mean sure

It wasn't pontless.

Sounds good let's do it.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    The whole "we brought the light of reason and liberty vs the brutal taliban" schtick we're getting everywhere is pretty exhausting. We funded death squads, we looked the other way on child sex trafficking, we shoveled truckloads of money into the hands of some of the worst people alive because their cruelty and barbarism aligned with our interests.

Idk I saw a photo this morning of someone falling several hundred feet from an ascending aircraft in their desperation to escape. At some point this "well the other guy would do even worse" just seems obscene

Under Trump we would have been gone in May. He also reduced troop numbers before Biden was even in office.

Biden deserves criticism for how sloppy this is, but acting like he wasn't dealt a shit hand or that Trunp would have handled this better is nonsense.

Hence why the GOP scrubbed Trump's pullout "credit" from their list of accomplishments.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    shryke wrote: »

I guess we'll see.

I mean sure

It wasn't pontless.

The issue is that ultimately we have yet to find a solution for the problem of other fellow human beings over there suffering horrible in various ways that is actually feasible or functional.

Which leaves us stuck with both something like "the Taliban are stoning women to death for wearing tight clothing" and "20 years of admittedly incompetently run occupation weren't able to actually fix that".

I guess this explains the apathy that a lot of people feel about atrocities that happen in other parts of the world. Why care if attempting to help is either fruitless or leads to worse outcomes?

At least with the U.S. presence in Afghanistan people got a couple decades of reprieve and quality of life improvements, as well as hopefully a greater ability to foment dissent through increased literacy and knowledge of how things were better before the Taliban took over.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    I don't give Biden much slack because, like I said before, dude knew going into the election that this shit was something he needed to deal with.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Watching the media focus so much on how this is "Biden's failure" or having the neo cons come on to speak about how Biden "fucked up" feels like watching vultures circling road kill

Feels a lot like under Trump: media doing whatever gets clicks and stokes outrage without recognizing the complete failure of 20 years of the foreign policy establishment

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    With my limited knowledge of the culture and region, I don't know of a better option than just relocating everyone to a less terrorist-filled place and granting them citizenship there. But that was never going to happen.

There's probably some way to like, spend a hundred years to actually get a result, but it's not possible to do it when management changes every four.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

I guess we'll see.

I mean sure

It wasn't pontless.

I guess this explains the apathy that a lot of people feel about atrocities that happen in other parts of the world. Why care if attempting to help is either fruitless or leads to worse outcomes?

Better a few thousand civilian casualties from getting involved than a hundred thousand bodies counted from the sidelines.

• Options

I guess we'll see.

I mean sure

It wasn't pontless.

Most people never cared in the first place because it's not relevant to their day to day lives.

The larger issue I'm mentioning here has been hotly debated since at least the 90s on various fronts. But that's among like political thinkers and elites and foreign policy people and whatever.

• Options
    edited August 2021

I guess we'll see.

I mean sure

It wasn't pontless.

Better a few thousand civilian casualties from getting involved than a hundred thousand bodies counted from the sidelines.

I guess people feel better if they know that they weren't involved in any way with suffering, even if the suffering is greater without their involvement.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Anyone catching this supposed speech anywhere? I'm not seeing shit, is it just late?

• Options

I guess we'll see.

I mean sure

It wasn't pontless.

Are you arguing that fewer Afghanis died from the war than would have died without it?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Label wrote: »
    Anyone catching this supposed speech anywhere? I'm not seeing shit, is it just late?

Avoid the talking heads:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHM_1YOXpg4

Nothing happening yet though.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Watching the media focus so much on how this is "Biden's failure" or having the neo cons come on to speak about how Biden "fucked up" feels like watching vultures circling road kill

Feels a lot like under Trump: media doing whatever gets clicks and stokes outrage without recognizing the complete failure of 20 years of the foreign policy establishment

Fuck'em. The media has their share of blame for framing the American mindset and glorifying our invasions and occupations.

Fuck. Them.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

I guess we'll see.

I mean sure

It wasn't pontless.

Over 200,000 have died in the War in Afghanistan

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

well, that's also because the failure is theirs, as well, and they know it. many of the same people, literally the same individuals, were happy to cheerlead for this war two decades ago.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Politically, basically the country wanted the war to end. Outside of the press corps and the Pentagon.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Shorty wrote: »

well, that's also because the failure is theirs, as well, and they know it. many of the same people, literally the same individuals, were happy to cheerlead for this war two decades ago.

Just remember their hard-ons for every time Trump bombed something. They ain't learned shit over the past 20 years.

shryke on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    “I stand squarely behind my decision.” - Biden.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    This feels like the most frank speech from a U.S. President on foreign policy I've ever seen

• Options
    edited August 2021
    KetBra wrote: »

I guess we'll see.

I mean sure

It wasn't pontless.

And now all those deaths are in vain as the progress that was made to improve the quality of life (education, women's rights, etc) in the country is swept away. The only glimmer of hope is that the 20 year period where things improved will lead to greater internal resistance against the Taliban to regain those improvements.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

I guess we'll see.

I mean sure

It wasn't pontless.

And now all those deaths are in vain as the progress that was made to improve the quality of life (education, women's rights, etc) in the country is swept away. The only glimmer of hope is that the 20 year period where things improved will lead to greater internal resistance against the Taliban to regain those improvements.

Yeah, it was a huge mistake to invade, and a bigger one to stay

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Yeah, this whole Savior America bit is too much for me.

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular

That's why for every president it was easier to kick the can down the road. Whoever actually withdraws gets the albatross buck medal. Or whatever that's called.

I appreciate that Biden is willing to take the political and legacy hit for a decision he believes in.

• Options

I guess we'll see.

I mean sure

It wasn't pontless.

And millions from have died from war, disease, and famine since Clinton pulled out of Mogadishu.

My family is at risk of dying from a car bomb at this very moment.

Then there's the Nairobi mall attack, the Ethiopia college attack, and many others.

Not to mention the thousands who died trying to reach Europe.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    tinwhiskers was warned for this.
    Part of the issue is that several of you are making the arguement that the good done over the last 20 years was unsustainable without American support.

The rest of us agree.

You then follow up with words that imply it was a mistake to try from the start.

That us where we disagree.

Take up the White Man's burden—
    Send forth the best ye breed—
    Go bind your sons to exile
    To serve your captives' need;
    To wait in heavy harness
    On fluttered folk and wild—
    Your new-caught, sullen peoples,
    Half devil and half child.

In patience to abide,
    To veil the threat of terror
    And check the show of pride;
    By open speech and simple,
    An hundred times made plain.
    To seek another's profit,
    And work another's gain.

The savage wars of peace—
    Fill full the mouth of Famine
    And bid the sickness cease;
    And when your goal is nearest
    The end for others sought,
    Watch Sloth and heathen Folly
    Bring all your hopes to nought.

No tawdry rule of kings,
    But toil of serf and sweeper—
    The tale of common things.
    The ports ye shall not enter,
    The roads ye shall not tread,
    Go make them with your living,
    And mark them with your dead!

And reap his old reward:
    The blame of those ye better,
    The hate of those ye guard—
    The cry of hosts ye humour
    (Ah, slowly!) toward the light:—
    "Why brought ye us from bondage,
    Our loved Egyptian night?"

Ye dare not stoop to less
    Nor call too loud on Freedom
    To cloak your weariness;
    By all ye cry or whisper,
    By all ye leave or do,
    The silent, sullen peoples
    Shall weigh your Gods and you.

Have done with childish days—
    The lightly proffered laurel,
    The easy, ungrudged praise.
    Comes now, to search your manhood
    Through all the thankless years,
    Cold-edged with dear-bought wisdom,
    The judgment of your peers!

DJ Eebs on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    enc0re wrote: »

That's why for every president it was easier to kick the can down the road. Whoever actually withdraws gets the albatross buck medal. Or whatever that's called.

I appreciate that Biden is willing to take the political and legacy hit for a decision he believes in.

I think because of his time with Obama especially he came into office with a dim view of the military's bullshit on ending the war and so he just pulled the trigger.

This discussion has been closed.