Options

Pardon my French [Canadian Politics Thread]

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »
    They could have used a referendum to pick between IRV and proportional representation. Or use proportional. Or actually try anything.

The last 2007 referendum on the matter, at least in Ontario, resulted in FPTP sticking around, and I don't think that the result would be any different.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    They could have used a referendum to pick between IRV and proportional representation. Or use proportional. Or actually try anything.

The last 2007 referendum on the matter, at least in Ontario, resulted in FPTP sticking around, and I don't think that the result would be any different.

That's why you don't put FPTP as an option. IRV or MMP.

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular

One of the lessons of Brexit is don't hold a referendum when one of the outcomes is a catastrophe. The Liberals had to choose between capitulating to the NDP, unilaterally changing the electoral system, or scrapping reform entirely. I can't really blame them for choosing the latter.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I’m not sure that this is actually satire.

I resemble this remark. I would rather vote NDP, but I live in a conservative stronghold. NDP doesn't stand a chance, so Liberal is really the only choice I have.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

But they didn't want proportional representation. They wanted ranked choice.

Just like the NDP could have backed ranked choice and joined the Liberals and maybe that would have convinced the Liberals to go for it.

But in both cases neither party was going to agree to that because they both lose seats under the other party's preferred system.

So they lied, yeah?

Because that was never the deal they proposed

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Disco11 wrote: »

But they didn't want proportional representation. They wanted ranked choice.

Just like the NDP could have backed ranked choice and joined the Liberals and maybe that would have convinced the Liberals to go for it.

But in both cases neither party was going to agree to that because they both lose seats under the other party's preferred system.

So they lied, yeah?

Because that was never the deal they proposed

Lying implies they never intended to do it in the first place. I don't think that's the case. What I would say is that:

1) The Liberals wanted ranked ballot to avoid vote-split issues and with the expectation that they'd benefit as the center party.
    2) The NDP wanted proportional representation because... it's kind of been their thing for an age and a half.
    3) There was an actual opportunity to work out a deal, but it was an uphill slog because when you pass a bill you have to pick a system and not just generic "reform". Still, there was probably a chance for someone to either be persuaded to change their mind, or accept a compromise.

What I don't know is how much of the commission's collapse was a genuine preference on the part of the NDP (i.e. believing FPTP is better than ranked ballot - which would pretty clearly establish the current system as the most popular one, being everyone's first or second choice) and how much was them getting greedy and thinking they could force a majority government to implement a plan they don't like.

In a sense, it was a beautiful political strategy - torpedo vote reform and you get to blame the other guy for it.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    ...But in both cases neither party was going to agree to that because they both lose seats under the other party's preferred system.

I don't think the NDP would have lost seats under IRV - the number of ridings where want-to-be-Liberal voters swallow their hopes and dreams and vote NDP are far outnumbered by the opposite situation. They just wouldn't gain as much as the Liberals.

I know some people were worried (or excited) that IRV would usher in perpetual Liberal rule and sideline the NDP, but I think things would have shaken out okay.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Calling it "lying" is a grey area, because the phrase "to lie" implies explicit deception. I say I'm going to do X, but I know full well I will never do X. Do I think Trudeau at the time genuinely wanted to pass election reform? Yeah, I do. That he gave it a limp ass try and gave up is some real solid garbage.

It's like being hunched over your toilet, throwing up a storm, and arguing over whether you have food poisoning, a hangover, or stomach flu. They are all completely different things that still result in the same symptom. But you're obviously not going to care about that mid hurl.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    ...But in both cases neither party was going to agree to that because they both lose seats under the other party's preferred system.

I don't think the NDP would have lost seats under IRV - the number of ridings where want-to-be-Liberal voters swallow their hopes and dreams and vote NDP are far outnumbered by the opposite situation. They just wouldn't gain as much as the Liberals.

I know some people were worried (or excited) that IRV would usher in perpetual Liberal rule and sideline the NDP, but I think things would have shaken out okay.

Liberal rule and sidelined NDP is where we are currently though

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I think the NDP absolutely believed it would prevent them from ever getting close to a majority. Whether that's true or not is hard to tell for sure obviously.

And the situation with ranked choice is I think not what you describe exactly. It's that many people believe the Liberals are always somewhere on the list for a huge swath of voters. That they are essentially the "default party" that most people are willing to put on their rankings somewhere. That most likely what happens in a lot of places is that if the Liberals aren't knocked out right away, whatever other major party is sees their votes mostly flow to the Liberals. This is I think certainly what the Liberal Party thinks will happen, which is why they push the idea.

• Options

I think the NDP absolutely believed it would prevent them from ever getting close to a majority. Whether that's true or not is hard to tell for sure obviously.

And the situation with ranked choice is I think not what you describe exactly. It's that many people believe the Liberals are always somewhere on the list for a huge swath of voters. That they are essentially the "default party" that most people are willing to put on their rankings somewhere. That most likely what happens in a lot of places is that if the Liberals aren't knocked out right away, whatever other major party is sees their votes mostly flow to the Liberals. This is I think certainly what the Liberal Party thinks will happen, which is why they push the idea.

Well, the alternative is that the Liberals aren't as popular as they think they are and their election results are just "the wrong lizard might get in", so to speak. In that case with a ranked ballot the Liberals are eliminated first and the NDP / CPC fight it out. If this is actually the case then implementing it would probably have meant PM Singh right now.

I assume that the parties will change in some ways if and when we change the system, though - ranked ballot would not lead to endless Liberals governments any more than PR would necessarily put the Liberals in every government (median vote in just about every election).

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Liberal rule and sidelined NDP is where we are currently though

The NDP seem quite proud that they have been able to pull the Liberals leftwards in the current government; isn't that why many here express hope that the results of this election is another Liberal minority? (As far as realistic hopes go.)

I suppose I should have said that the fear of IRV would be perpetual Liberal majorities.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Long before the election announcements, I saw quite a few PPC signs, alongside the ‘stop the lockdown’. In fact, the number of those signs still outnumber all other party signs. It’s concerning, but seeing as we usually go PC, I can only hope those two parties rip each other to shreds.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Oh neat! Trudeau may be doing some sort of press event at a local grocery store today!

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    The fallout from the Halifax homeless removals continues and is depressing. Basically every member of the government responsible for either the area, the file, the police are completely abdicating their duties and it's fucking infuriating. If they had any other job outside of politics/policing they'd be canned immediately for incompetence.

Saying protestors were armed (they were not). Saying the 10 yo girl that got pepper-sprayed "shouldn't have been there" despite the fact that she was just walking home from a Tim Hortons with her father. Saying that 2 officers were injured but leaving out the fact that one was hit by one of their own police cruisers and the other pepper-sprayed himself. Cops fucking suck.

https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/featured/gaslighting-halifax-how-the-mayor-a-councillor-and-the-chief-of-police-created-a-false-narrative-about-the-violent-eviction-of-rough-sleepers-from-city-parks/

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Thanks, was coming here to post the article myself.
    It's an impressive barrage of outright lies, and if it manages to "just blow over" I struggle to think of what can actually ever be done when the situation is this strikingly clear. Can't say I've ever quite so strongly felt "Fuck the police" running through my veins, but they do it to themselves, man. :|

• Options
    Calling it "lying" is a grey area, because the phrase "to lie" implies explicit deception. I say I'm going to do X, but I know full well I will never do X. Do I think Trudeau at the time genuinely wanted to pass election reform? Yeah, I do. That he gave it a limp ass try and gave up is some real solid garbage.

It's like being hunched over your toilet, throwing up a storm, and arguing over whether you have food poisoning, a hangover, or stomach flu. They are all completely different things that still result in the same symptom. But you're obviously not going to care about that mid hurl.

His statement was pretty clear: This will be the last election using FPTP if we win... He won a majority.

Saying it did not pass because blah blah blah is bullshit at that point. He won a majority government. He had the power and the literal mandate to effect change but did not because, like every government, they did not want to change the rules of the game that they won. There was no " we will work with the other parties to figure out a system etc etc etc...." His statement on social media and the debates was very black and white. When the studies came back and the proposed system was not in their favor they dropped it and blamed the other parties.... that were in a minority.

I truly don't get the apologists for JT on this issue. This was the major shift we needed in Canadian politics to get us out of the liberal/conservative/liberal/conservative merry-go-round we have been on for 50 years.

• Options

His statement was pretty clear: This will be the last election using FPTP if we win... He won a majority.

Saying it did not pass because blah blah blah is bullshit at that point. He won a majority government. He had the power and the literal mandate to effect change but did not because, like every government, they did not want to change the rules of the game that they won. There was no " we will work with the other parties to figure out a system etc etc etc...." His statement on social media and the debates was very black and white. When the studies came back and the proposed system was not in their favor they dropped it and blamed the other parties.... that were in a minority.

I truly don't get the apologists for JT on this issue. This was the major shift we needed in Canadian politics to get us out of the liberal/conservative/liberal/conservative merry-go-round we have been on for 50 years.

If Trudeau had unilaterally implemented his own plan you would have complained about that too.

• Options
    Tenek wrote: »

If Trudeau had unilaterally implemented his own plan you would have complained about that too.

If was trivial to break the deadlock. Trudeau did not even try.

• Options

[SNIP]

54% of the Commons on the back of 40% of the vote. I can see why they wanted to get the NDP (13% on 20%) to back them on this change, as it is a huge deal.

As @mrondeau noted they didn't seem to do enough to try to get the NDP on board, but I think it's reasonable that they didn't just ram through IRV on their own.

• Options

If you want a cross-party consensus and it becomes clear that you're not going to get one then giving up is the correct move. As it turns out, pretty much everyone is OK with FPTP, so here we are.

• Options

He had a majority..... This is literally why they exist. He ran on the platform of enacting said change. No, I really would not have been angry.

• Options

He had a majority..... This is literally why they exist. He ran on the platform of enacting said change. No, I really would not have been angry.

The 60% of the population that didn’t vote Liberal would be pretty upset if the Liberals changed election laws to benefit themselves.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

OK, then I apologize. That's a perfectly consistent position.

I wouldn't have minded that either, in the sense that you get that outcome even if it annoys some people who wanted PR... but I don't think I can ignore the implications of adopting the American "party in power changes the rules to keep itself in power" strategy either. That's a really ugly can of worms there.

• Options
    Just use a fucking referendum to get voters to pick the system between the LPC preferred system and the NDP preferred system.
    Simple. Democratic.

• Options

The 60% of the population that didn’t vote Liberal would be pretty upset if the Liberals changed election laws to benefit themselves.

That's the thing... They kept FPTP... The system that currently benefits them.

Most other systems would make it so minority governments are way more common.

• Options

That's the thing... They kept FPTP... The system that currently benefits them.

Most other systems would make it so minority governments are way more common.

FPTP benefits coalition parties like the PC Reform Alliance.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular

If you want a cross-party consensus and it becomes clear that you're not going to get one then giving up is the correct move. As it turns out, pretty much everyone is OK with FPTP, so here we are.

Most people are OK with FPTP only because they don't understand how terrible a system it is, and are unaware of other options.

FPTP *is* democracy to most people. To say that we should change doesn't make much sense to the layperson, because we are already a democracy, why would we change that?

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Just use a fucking referendum to get voters to pick the system between the LPC preferred system and the NDP preferred system.
    Simple. Democratic.

This only works if you're willing to accept the NDP's system. Otherwise, I can absolutely see how less than a year after the Brexit vote, a guy from Quebec might not be interested in having it all come down to a referendum.

• Options
    Simple. Democratic.

This only works if you're willing to accept the NDP's system. Otherwise, I can absolutely see how less than a year after the Brexit vote, a guy from Quebec might not be interested in having it all come down to a referendum.

So the whole commission was pointless, since the LPC was planning to impose their preference from the start and did not care what the other parties wanted.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I would have preferred the LPC implemented what they wanted and used the majority we gave them. I understand why they didn't but I was/am still pissed about it.
    I'm unlikely to believe them on election reform ever again or at least not in the short term because of it.

To address the "What about the 60% who didn't vote liberal!" feedback, that's not top of my concern. My concern is reducing the possibility that the insane CPC can govern to near zero. FPTP continues to give them too high a chance.

• Options
    Simple. Democratic.

So the whole commission was pointless, since the LPC was planning to impose their preference from the start and did not care what the other parties wanted.

I'm not sure how you can square that with abandoning reform after it failed. But I suppose any future commissions are going to be pointless, since the last one was a purely - and openly - partisan affair.

• Options
    edited August 2021

Seriously. There is something I would hope very obviously fucked up about going "this broken election system gave me a majority without wining a majority of the votes so I'm going to use it to unilaterally change that election system based upon the legitimacy of my election under a system we are already all saying is broken". Especially when everyone's assumption is that said reform would most benefit your own party.

shryke on
  • Options
    Simple. Democratic.

I'm not sure how you can square that with abandoning reform after it failed. But I suppose any future commissions are going to be pointless, since the last one was a purely - and openly - partisan affair.

It didn't fail, it merely returned a result the LPC didn't want.

• Options
    Simple. Democratic.

It failed in that it did not return a clear consensus on what the parties could agree on.

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I would have preferred the LPC implemented what they wanted and used the majority we gave them. I understand why they didn't but I was/am still pissed about it.
    I'm unlikely to believe them on election reform ever again or at least not in the short term because of it.

To address the "What about the 60% who didn't vote liberal!" feedback, that's not top of my concern. My concern is reducing the possibility that the insane CPC can govern to near zero. FPTP continues to give them too high a chance.

This, right here, is why I supported Trudeau dumping the electoral reform, even if I would have preferred if it had occurred. It is absolutely, totally, in no uncertain terms unacceptable to implement a voting system with that kind of rhetoric. I too wish the conservatives would never again form a government, but blocking them from all hope of political power is completely abhorrent.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Aw man, Lisa Laco of CBC Radio and Thunder Bay passed away today.

Apparently she had ALS. I listened to so much CBC radio growing up and heard many of her interviews :(

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Simple. Democratic.

It failed in that it did not return a clear consensus on what the parties could agree on.

In a parliamentary system that's why majority governments exist.... no?

did all three parties agree on every single piece of legislation that was passed during the harper majority? The LPL ran on passing voter reform. Not a specific form of voter reform.... No more FPTP.
    Blarghy wrote: »

This, right here, is why I supported Trudeau dumping the electoral reform, even if I would have preferred if it had occurred. It is absolutely, totally, in no uncertain terms unacceptable to implement a voting system with that kind of rhetoric. I too wish the conservatives would never again form a government, but blocking them from all hope of political power is completely abhorrent.

I love that folks are letting perfect be the enemy of good. Because the conservatives with their 30% of the vote sure don't have the same morals.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    While I was very disappointed about electoral reform not happening, I also don't think that it's the kind of thing that should happen unilaterally. I don't want the trend of a complete electoral system overhaul every time a different party gets a majority.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Blarghy wrote: »

I love that folks are letting perfect be the enemy of good. Because the conservatives with their 30% of the vote sure don't have the same morals.

No, unilaterally changing election rules to the sole benefit of yourself is not good.

Blarghy on
This discussion has been closed.