Options

[Star Trek] Keep On Trekkin' (Lower Decks stuff in SPOILERS)

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I want more star trek and don't want a fucking paramount plus subscription....

Siiiiiiiiigh
    There's currently a 30 day free trial promotion (for Paw Patrol and Target, of all things):
    https://help.paramountplus.com/s/article/PD-Paw-Patrol-Free-Streaming-for-30-Days-Target-Promotion-Full-Terms

I guess if you have multiple e-mail addresses, you can chain them, but what a pain in the ass.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I want more star trek and don't want a fucking paramount plus subscription....

Siiiiiiiiigh
    There's currently a 30 day free trial promotion (for Paw Patrol and Target, of all things):
    https://help.paramountplus.com/s/article/PD-Paw-Patrol-Free-Streaming-for-30-Days-Target-Promotion-Full-Terms

I guess if you have multiple e-mail addresses, you can chain them, but what a pain in the ass.

I am just realising that Paramount Plus launching in the UK and taking their content off Netflix means that parents are going to lose access to Paw Patrol.

That is going to get real messy real fast.

• Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    Just out of curiousity, how is Memory Alpha handling Lower Decks, especially when Lower Decks totally takes the piss out of some bit of continuity?

LD isn't really difficult to justify canonically, the events themselves are fairly straightforward. If MA can explain away Klingon ships and craniums looking different in Discovery prior to the events of TOS and overall tech inconsistencies, they can explain away anything. Any inconsistencies are usually just tacked on and incorporated into the main canon.

"It's like this... and it's also like this."

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    So far nothing LD has done has been harder to reconcile and cross reference than Discovery putting Spock's formative years through yet another blender.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Yeah, continuity-wise, Lower Decks is easy mode. They crack a few jokes but the entire show is more firmly founded on what came before than anything in the past 20 years, including Enterprise ("oh, we actually met all these aliens hundreds of years earlier and just forgot").

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    That first episode with Leah Brahms, really does make Geordi out rather skeezily. I remember when he meets “real” Brahms and she gives him a kicking for making a soppy replica of her.

And Riker really is trying to bang his way across the galaxy.

Probably one of the more problematic Trek scenes where Brahms calls Geordi out on his skeevy shit and he basically says "yeah well you're a bitch" and tries to victim blame.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    That first episode with Leah Brahms, really does make Geordi out rather skeezily. I remember when he meets “real” Brahms and she gives him a kicking for making a soppy replica of her.

Probably one of the more problematic Trek scenes where Brahms calls Geordi out on his skeevy shit and he basically says "yeah well you're a bitch" and tries to victim blame.

yeah that episode is not good. or rather, that plot is not good (i like the stuff with the alien baby).

if the brahms thing had remained confined to the original "Booby Trap" episode I don't think almost anyone besides the sternest puritans would have an issue with it. The problem is that when the real woman shows up Geordi goes around playing mood music and inviting her to his quarters like a skeevy guy in a sitcom.

• Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular

His bad faith argument that he was "just trying to be her friend" also sounded like something a stalker would say and was very clearly a lie since he started with romantic intentions out of the gate. Omitting that detail to make himself seem more the victim was so shamelessly disingenuous.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Lower Decks Season 2 Episode 2:

This is more evidence of something I've suspected since Picard's finale:
    Starfleet Command has a big red button that just says "RIKER."

This is why he was able to casually stroll out of retirement and get handed a fleet.

They gave me exactly what I wanted with Mariner.
    She's in the wrong, the story makes no bones about it, and she has a chance for some honest growth. It's good shit. I'm curious how she'll jive with a newly-confident Boimler.

And if we'll see "Will" Boimler again.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Wow that was one TNG call back after another. Loved it. GF hasn't seen most of TNG so she thought it was just okay.
    So many little things. The D stories. Transport clone. All the collector stuff but a lot was TOS too. Was their an orb box? I might have missed it. Also seriously Riker was a kick. I bet Jonathan Franks would 100% be on for not cartoon Riker. Sounds like he was having fun. Also still laughing at the battle had Klingons, romulans, pakleds, and Borg now. Also I want more TNG cast or the car doctor arguing with an EMH.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I am/was getting a little nervous that they're just turning Riker, the Titan, and the Titan crew into the "dudebro" group that goes in guns blazing and shoots everything. Especially later on when the away team was going all "Hell yeah remember that time we went and fucked shit up? Wooo!". It was starting to become uncomfortably Not-Trek. I was really worried they were going to eventually start shitting on Boimler being a pansy wuss. And then they managed to pull it back and save it when Boimler was talking about how Starfleet was all about exploration... and they all actually agreed, and never once actually looked down on Boimler. It reminds me of the episode with Rutherford changing jobs, and just speaks to the nature of the show runners that they do actually "get it". Because a meaner and more cynical writer would have had them just be shit fratboys to Boimler, and that would absolutely be "Not-Trek"

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I loved that sequence, and it almost seemed to be directly calling out DS9 (or maybe the fandom?) a bit. I love me some DS9, but it deconstructing Starfleet and the Federation is hailed a bit too highly at times it feels like.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Mvrck wrote: »
    I loved that sequence, and it almost seemed to be directly calling out DS9 (or maybe the fandom?) a bit. I love me some DS9, but it deconstructing Starfleet and the Federation is hailed a bit too highly at times it feels like.

The thing a lot of people miss about the DS9 stuff is that at the end of In The Pale Moonlight Sisko obviously hates and regrets what he did. And in the final episode with Eddington, the rest of the crew cleary believe he's in the wrong.

Edit: clearly. Why the fuck does predictive text think I mean chestnut? What the actual fuck?

Monwyn on
    uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

yeah that episode is not good. or rather, that plot is not good (i like the stuff with the alien baby).

if the brahms thing had remained confined to the original "Booby Trap" episode I don't think almost anyone besides the sternest puritans would have an issue with it. The problem is that when the real woman shows up Geordi goes around playing mood music and inviting her to his quarters like a skeevy guy in a sitcom.

We have this conversation whenever this episode comes up, I swear.
    - Geordi is not wrong and Brahms is real mean to him from the second she first appears on screen
    - Geordi's preconceived notions of their relationship is bad and causes him to do dumb things
    - the show ends with the two of them resolving their disagreement like adults
    People really try to make the whole thing into more then it actually is all the time. There's this decades later retroactive attempt to try and make it some sort of weird stalker story that is just baffling.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Halfway through the final season of Voyager and just got past the episode where they meet a bunch of Klingon cultists. One very minor subplot concerns Neelix boning a Klingon woman, and at the end he's wrecked Tuvok's quarters.

At this point I find my suspension of disbelief blown into smithereens because there's no way a sentient being hasn't just straight up murdered Neelix at this point. He invites himself to stay in Tuvok's quarters, repeatedly calls him "Mr Vulcan" because he flatly refuses to use Tuvok's actual name, and then breaks everything in sight while humping. Kill him, Tuvok. Doing it in the holodeck isn't enough any more. Just kill this son of a bitch.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Halfway through the final season of Voyager and just got past the episode where they meet a bunch of Klingon cultists. One very minor subplot concerns Neelix boning a Klingon woman, and at the end he's wrecked Tuvok's quarters.

At this point I find my suspension of disbelief blown into smithereens because there's no way a sentient being hasn't just straight up murdered Neelix at this point. He invites himself to stay in Tuvok's quarters, repeatedly calls him "Mr Vulcan" because he flatly refuses to use Tuvok's actual name, and then breaks everything in sight while humping. Kill him, Tuvok. Doing it in the holodeck isn't enough any more. Just kill this son of a bitch.

He's gonna be the breakout character Bogart.

Any minute now.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Monwyn wrote: »

The thing a lot of people miss about the DS9 stuff is that at the end of In The Pale Moonlight Sisko obviously hates and regrets what he did. And in the final episode with Eddington, the rest of the crew chestnut believe he's in the wrong.

DS9 isn't actually edgy towards the Federation being good people, their take on Section 31 flies in the face of that. The thesis I get re: the Federation's ideals from DS9 is that progress isn't a ledge you climb and now you're on the top of the mountain, "Being better" is a journey that never ends.

It does shit on TNG S1's idea that humans have "Evolved", and instead suggests that it's very dangerous to declare yourself "the moral authority" without constant self-examination

override367 on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Any minute now.

Breakout the airlock, with any luck.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Any minute now.

Breakout the airlock, with any luck.

Unfortunately Ron Moore was only tangentially involved with Voyager

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

The thing a lot of people miss about the DS9 stuff is that at the end of In The Pale Moonlight Sisko obviously hates and regrets what he did. And in the final episode with Eddington, the rest of the crew chestnut believe he's in the wrong.

DS9 isn't actually edgy towards the Federation being good people, their take on Section 31 flies in the face of that. The thesis I get re: the Federation's ideals from DS9 is that progress isn't a ledge you climb and now you're on the top of the mountain, "Being better" is a journey that never ends.

It does shit on TNG S1's idea that humans have "Evolved", and instead suggests that it's very dangerous to declare yourself "the moral authority" without constant self-examination

A lot of people seem to confuse 'challenging the ideals of the Federation' with 'Deconstruction'.

I think over the years the context of DS9 has been clouded by Youtube clips of Quark or whoever talking shit about the Federation, but cut out the part where he's proven completely wrong a second later.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    DanHibiki wrote: »

A lot of people seem to confuse 'challenging the ideals of the Federation' with 'Deconstruction'.

I think over the years the context of DS9 has been clouded by Youtube clips of Quark or whoever talking shit about the Federation, but cut out the part where he's proven completely wrong a second later.

People are using Quark as an example of how DS9 is a "deconstruction", really? The literal representation of 90s misogyny and capitalistic avarice who is nevertheless "corrupted"* by the federation's higher ideals in the end anyway?

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    well you know, root beer is very good.

*sips*

• Options
    well you know, root beer is very good.

*sips*

People love that clip and yet never seem to pay attention to the final lines.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

People are using Quark as an example of how DS9 is a "deconstruction", really? The literal representation of 90s misogyny and capitalistic avarice who is nevertheless "corrupted"* by the federation's higher ideals in the end anyway?

Explains the writing for Picard, don't it

• Options
    "Do you think they'll be able to save us?"
    "I hope so."

Quark doesn't believe in the Federation's values, but he does believe in the Federation. Even his thing in Siege of AR-551 about how humans are when they're cornered is just a less flattering version of what every title captain has told an enemy at some point or another: Don't mistake a smiling face for an empty hand, the Federation may prefer peace but there's a reason those peaceful ships of exploration are also doomsday weapons.

DS9 calls out a lot of dirt under the rugs of the Federation, but anyone who thinks it's a deconstruction must have turned off the finale half way through (not that I can entirely blame them). But all the shit in the Fire Caves aside, something came out of DS9's finale that no other Star Trek has done: The Dominion pushed the Federation further down darker roads than the Borg or Klingons ever did, but peace did not come out of a blaze of destruction or alliance against a common foe, it came from a literal hand extended in friendship.

• Options
    I'm talking about the ones before that:
    QUARK: It's so bubbly and cloying and happy.
    GARAK: Just like the Federation.
    QUARK: But you know what's really frightening? If you drink enough of it, you begin to like it.
    GARAK: It's insidious.
    QUARK: Just like the Federation.

Fundamentally, as much as they talk shit, at the end of the day they like the Federation. The Federation makes them better people and they know it.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Explains the writing for Picard, don't it

I've tried to figure out what this means and I still don't get it.

Picard is in fact similar to DS9 in that it isn't really a deconstruction of the federation, it's a reminder that you don't get to "Evolve" to be a more perfect human, instead you have to constantly strive to be better and not slip back into selfish ideology. The finale of the first season typifies that, just as DS9's finale did. It wasn't a battle that solved the problem, it was a classic Picard speech.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    QUARK: But you know what's really frightening? If you drink enough of it, you begin to like it.

Fundamentally, as much as they talk shit, at the end of the day they like the Federation. The Federation makes them better people and they know it.

They do, and that is precisely why they hate it.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

They do, and that is precisely why they hate it.

I saw a tweet about something like "Universities/Colleges aren't big liberal brainwashing institutions, but they're the first place most of their students get to meet a really wide range of other kinds of people outside the group they grew up with." That's the Federation. Most of the other major races are fairly isolationist by nature if not outright policy, but if they spend enough time dealing with all these other races and other points of view they can't help but be changed by it.

Quark and Garak felt like they were perfectly happy as stereotypical examples of their species; Quark the profit-obsessed Ferengi, and Garak the Cardassian who'd dedicated his life to The State, and was willing to do anything in service of it (even be exiled. Even if he wanted to go back, he never actually blamed it on Cardassia).
    But they got exposure to the Federation ideals, and it got them to look at themselves from the outside. Having done that they found themselves changing without even wanting to, and they blame the Federation for it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular

That episode did give us the single best line in the entire series, however:
    "The only Klingon I'm afraid of is my wife after she's worked a double shift."

• Options
    At some point it doesn't really matter what DS9 actually did after 20 years of the discourse being about how it DESTROYS Roddenberry's gay SJW utopia with FACTS and LOGIC haha no MONEY lol that's UNHAPPENABLE

It also, you know, fucks up sometimes. I've talked about the "saints in paradise" speech and how in context it's a really dopey defense of colonizers who are mad that the meanies back home want to stop all their colonizin'. I think that for all that it talks about the Federation the show frequently leaves a lot of money on the table in terms of how it could show us how such a society actually works (in part because I just don't think the writers had really thought it through in a Banks-like fashion; that could have been what they did with Keiko but they just forgot about her for like half a season at a time).

It's my feeling that it being the last good Star Trek show for two decades has really fucked up what's come since. Middlebrow Hollywood screenwriters get taught a lot of bad instincts ('look for conflict on every page', 'raise the stakes every chance you get') and it makes them look at Wrath of Khan and DS9 as the only two things you can do with Star Trek because those are the things that have big stakes and big yelling, and they ignore the other reasons why those things worked.

Lower Decks is lovely in part because it's doing its part to push back on this tendency but I would really like Strange New Worlds to be the thing that really puts all the pieces together and goes "here's how you do Trek in the 2020s." I mean, it probably won't be that, but I can hope. And whatever happens, I still have The Orville.

• Options
    edited August 2021

Random Thoughts, I think, gives a good explanation for just why Tuvok doesn't kill Neelix there, or any of the other times he should have.

If you don't remember it, it's the one with the planet of telepaths where Torres almost sets off a riot with an angry thought and is going to get lobotomized for it. The planet has an illicit black market for negative thoughts, and Tuvok infiltrates it by selling his violent thoughts. When he finds a buyer, that buyer - a hardened user addicted to violent thoughts looking for something new and extreme to tickle his desensitized neurons - is reduced to a gibbering mess by Tuvok's *sample*. Tuvok tells this guy while he's trying to break the link, "You don't understand the truth of violence. Its darkness... its power!" and he says it in this breathy, almost sensual voice. He's enjoying the mind meld, seeing his victim's brain melt from a mere glimpse the violence that exists in his mind.

It like Dr. Jeckyll just as the potion kicks in, Tuvok is a rage monster that would make the Hulk quail. He's not afraid of the violence, he's afraid of how much he likes it, and if he so much as points adamantly at Neelix in that moment, he would kill Neexlix and his Klingon friend and then start alphabetically at the top of the crew list.

Hevach on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    It sure is convenient for the Federation colonisation efforts that there are tons of M-Class planets with no sapient life that act as actual terra nullis, as opposed to occupied land otherwised declared so in real life.

But the convenience exists, so I don't let that aspect undermine the show. I'd say it's important to be aware of it however.

• Options
    Hevach wrote: »

Random Thoughts, I think, gives a good explanation for just why Tuvok doesn't kill Neelix there, or any of the other times he should have.

If you don't remember it, it's the one with the planet of telepaths where Torres almost sets off a riot with an angry thought and is going to get lobotomized for it. The planet has an illicit black market for negative thoughts, and Tuvok infiltrates it by selling his violent thoughts. When he finds a buyer, that buyer - a hardened user addicted to violent thoughts looking for something new and extreme to tickle his desensitized neurons - is reduced to a gibbering mess by Tuvok's *sample*. Tuvok tells this guy while he's trying to break the link, "You don't understand the truth of violence. Its darkness... its power!" and he says it in this breathy, almost sensual voice. He's enjoying the mind meld, seeing his victim's brain melt from a mere glimpse the violence that exists in his mind.

It like Dr. Jeckyll just as the potion kicks in, Tuvok is a rage monster that would make the Hulk quail. He's not afraid of the violence, he's afraid of how much he likes it, and if he so much as points adamantly at Neelix in that moment, he would kill Neexlix and his Klingon friend and then start alphabetically at the top of the crew list.

It's been said before, but Tim Russ' Vulcan stylings are second only to Leonard Nimoy's. I wonder if we'll get to see Tuvok in Picard. I hope so.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Yeah, when Russ actually gets something to do with Tuvok, he nails it. The season two(?) episode with Suder is another good example. Two really solid actors exploring the space of their characters.

The problem is, most of the time, he's just there opening hailing frequencies, raising shields, and firing weapons.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    He and Jennifer Lien have some good scenes in "Warlord", IMO. (And she has others in the same ep, too.)

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I just recently watched the one with Suder and …yes, I hope we do get to see Tuvok in Picard at some point.

while calmly, almost lovingly loading/charging/preparing an entire conference-room-sized library of weaponry
    “I will buy you …what time I can. But …you …must leave… I recommend that you leave the city immediately, and the planet without …undue delay.”

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Just watched Yesterday’s Enterprise again, and that episode is one that always makes me actually sit down and *watch* it, because it is 100% perfect TV.

• Options
    Lower decks question. Was that bird man on the bridge in season 1?
    Completely blanking on it.

• Options
    Lower decks question. Was that bird man on the bridge in season 1?
    Completely blanking on it.

I think we only saw him in the counselor's office in S1.

This discussion has been closed.