Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    The Macross cannon used a tremendous amount of energy and they didn't have allies or a support system to get safely filled back up. Their attack ship was also their home and the home of all their families, so being very careful just makes sense.

Until "lol Daedalus maneuver"

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Quick poll/suggestion request for a game to buy a fairly new gamer, older and not well versed in gaming language. That said, they have 800 hours in Skyrim, 1500 hours in dragon quest builders, and 1000 hours in animal crossing. They're doing some surgery and I can't decide what game to get. I originally considered Stardew but decided against it because there isn't that much creativity of building to Stardew, more optimization of gameplay. Whereas the three games they've played are all more "take as long as you want, do whatever, you'll progress how you feel like it."

Edit: also like 1000 hours in Zelda. Forgot that one.

Super Mario Odyssey was a miss, probably due to it about being controls mastery.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Quick poll/suggestion request for a game to buy a fairly new gamer, older and not well versed in gaming language. That said, they have 800 hours in Skyrim, 1500 hours in dragon quest builders, and 1000 hours in animal crossing. They're doing some surgery and I can't decide what game to get. I originally considered Stardew but decided against it because there isn't that much creativity of building to Stardew, more optimization of gameplay. Whereas the three games they've played are all more "take as long as you want, do whatever, you'll progress how you feel like it."

Super Mario Odyssey was a miss, probably due to it about being controls mastery.
    Stardew Valley is very much “take as long as you want, do whatever, you’ll progress how you feel like” and there’s tons of creativity since you can design your farm and your house however you like.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Minecraft? Unless they're looking for something dissimilar to what you mentioned before.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    They might like Dragon Quest XI. It's not a "do anything" creative game, it's a normal JRPG with a story, but you can take as long as you want and explore a bit and there is no control mastery.

Although if they are an older person they might be put off by Sylvando.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I was gonna say I guess Dr. Kawashima doesn't want to lend his likeness to Brain Training anymore, except then I found out it was released on the Switch in Japan and Europe only!

Big Brain Academy and Brain Age/Training are separate series, he's not part of BBA

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    The card game thing deflates my interest somewhat.

I don't know, there are just some genres that I don't mind when I'm playing them, yet don't actively seek out. Card games are one, tower defense is another.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

Maybe some Story of Seasons (previously Harvest Moon) game? Similar to Stardew Valley, though.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/sid-meiers-civilization-vi-switch/ Civ sounds like a good choice.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I was going to suggest Dragon Quest Builders, but then I saw the "1500 hours" comment. But, if they haven't yet already... Builders 2 is there and more of the same, but bigger and better.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    I was gonna say I guess Dr. Kawashima doesn't want to lend his likeness to Brain Training anymore, except then I found out it was released on the Switch in Japan and Europe only!

Big Brain Academy and Brain Age/Training are separate series, he's not part of BBA

I know, the implication being that we get a new Big Brain Academy but not a new Brain Training because Kawashima is done. Just bein' dumb, it fell flat. :P

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    That's why I appreciated Mario + Rabbids' 0%, 50%, 100% system. Win condition, block condition, gamble condition. Takes a lot of the sting out of missing when you only had a 50% chance.

I think Hard West did it better. Every character has a Luck stat that determines how likely you are to miss them, but when you miss them they lose luck. So you take a shot, they have a heap of luck so you only have a 20% chance to hit. You miss, but they lose 20 luck. Now you've got a 60% chance to hit. You miss, but they lose 60 luck. Now you're guaranteed to hit them.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    That's why I appreciated Mario + Rabbids' 0%, 50%, 100% system. Win condition, block condition, gamble condition. Takes a lot of the sting out of missing when you only had a 50% chance.

I agree with this. The way the game handled the chance of hitting was so easy to understand and when you took a shot with someone behind partial cover, you fully understand your chance of missing.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I like the look of Midnight Suns a lot, but I wasn't expecting an XCOM game that somehow beat ideas like permadeath and such into a Marvel format. The card based combat system is interesting to me as well and frankly, if they want to do something weird I would much rather them do it with something like this than try to make card based XCOM combat.

The cards seem like an answer to the question "why doesn't X hero just use their most powerful attack every time?"

Not really. Cooldowns and mana exist. I absolutely hate card games. Nothing turns me off more than basing a system around luck. It's a shame, cause I was very interested in Xmen Xcom, but now I have negative interest in this.

At least with cards, you can look at your hand and know where you stand. In XCOM XCOM, you run your guy over, miss your 95% shot, and that's XCOM, baby.

That was ALSO bullshit. In fact, it may have been worse, since it was actively lying to you.

XCOM 2 does lie to you, but not in the way people think. When it says you have a 90% chance to hit, what you actually have is a higher percent chance to hit. The displayed percentage is actually lower than what your actual percent chance is. According to Jake Solomon, an 85% chance to hit is closer to 95%.

However, and this is something a lot of people don't realize, is it seeds your rolls at the start of a mission. So it will roll a few hundred results, and you and the enemy go through them in sequence. This is done so save on CPU load during a match, having to roll every time you press attack. This is the same as rolling each time, it just does it in advance and you don't get to see the pool. It's like in 40k if they pre rolled everything, a 4+ to hit is still a 50% chance, but instead of rolling then, you take the next rolled dice in the sequence as your result.

So if you reload right before hitting attack and miss, no amount of reloads will make it succeed. This gives the illusion of the game lying to you, but really, it's calculated everything it needs to say if you will hit or not, gives you the percentage, then takes the next dice in sequence it make when you loaded the mission. You can still game this system - if you save at the start of a round, activating squad members in different order will yield different results, as you're changing the order that your squad members are getting the seeded rolls.

They did, however, add an option to reroll seeds when you reload, which you can pick at the start of a campaign, which lets you reload away until you hit every shot.

edit - before it comes up, yes you can miss 100% shots. IIRC, this is down to a rounding error, since programming random values can be screwy.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    However, and this is something a lot of people don't realize, is it seeds your rolls at the start of a mission. So it will roll a few hundred results, and you and the enemy go through them in sequence. This is done so save on CPU load during a match, having to roll every time you press attack. This is the same as rolling each time, it just does it in advance and you don't get to see the pool. It's like in 40k if they pre rolled everything, a 4+ to hit is still a 50% chance, but instead of rolling then, you take the next rolled dice in the sequence as your result.

So if you reload right before hitting attack and miss, no amount of reloads will make it succeed. This gives the illusion of the game lying to you, but really, it's calculated everything it needs to say if you will hit or not, gives you the percentage, then takes the next dice in sequence it make when you loaded the mission. You can still game this system - if you save at the start of a round, activating squad members in different order will yield different results, as you're changing the order that your squad members are getting the seeded rolls.

They did, however, add an option to reroll seeds when you reload, which you can pick at the start of a campaign, which lets you reload away until you hit every shot.

If the developers actually said this, they are lying. Generating a random number is computationally insignificant. It's not even needing to do it 60 or 100 times per second, it's just one roll buried among thousands of other calculations. Heck if it's raining in-game they're probably randomly generating the location of each raindrop constantly with barely any CPU impact.

The main reason you would pre-seed the rolls is to prevent save scumming and nudge people towards living with the results of what happens.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2021

If the developers actually said this, they are lying. Generating a random number is computationally insignificant. It's not even needing to do it 60 or 100 times per second, it's just one roll buried among thousands of other calculations. Heck if it's raining in-game they're probably randomly generating the location of each raindrop constantly with barely any CPU impact.

The main reason you would pre-seed the rolls is to prevent save scumming and nudge people towards living with the results of what happens.

That was a reason I read a long time ago, so I retract that. Lets go with the developers not liking save scumming.

Also, I seem to be getting XCOM 1 and 2 mixed up. 1 had an option to reseed on reload, apparently XCOM 2 doesn't. In XCOM 1 the option was literally called Save Scum, so yeah, they probably just don't like people doing it.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

Terraria, though that's more of a 70-150 hour adventure, even going slow. But it is sandboxy and there's tons of stuff to do.

The other "concern" is that the console version of the Journey's End update is around the corner so the individual in question may want to wait for that.

Still, I should point out that under the new global regime I am building, completing at least one robust playthrough of Terraria will be legally required, so you may as well get this individual started.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

That was a reason I read a long time ago, so I retract that. Lets go with the developers not liking save scumming.

Also, I seem to be getting XCOM 1 and 2 mixed up. 1 had an option to reseed on reload, apparently XCOM 2 doesn't. In XCOM 1 the option was literally called Save Scum, so yeah, they probably just don't like people doing it.

No offense Loki, but I'm not surprised a trickster god would try to deceive us on the true nature of RNG in gaming.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »

No offense Loki, but I'm not surprised a trickster god would try to deceive us on the true nature of RNG in gaming.

It’s funny because this only ever came up after the Thor movies got popular.

Trip down memory lane for me, but I started using Loki as a reference to the character in the movie Dogma, the Angel of death, playing Quake 2 multiplayer on the school network, because no one could come close to beating me. It just stuck.

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Trip down memory lane for me, but I started using Loki as a reference to the character in the movie Dogma, the Angel of death, playing Quake 2 multiplayer on the school network, because no one could come close to beating me. It just stuck.

That's a similar story to me playing Goldeneye.

To this day, people still call me "asshole" or "dickhead".

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ah, an Oddjob player

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Ah, an Oddjob player

Not on your life buddy!

My skills were honed in the fire of living in the middle of nowhere, and having no social life 5 days a week!

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

Ya know, even though I was a huge Kevin Smith fan, even back when Dogma was new and the MCU didn't exist, I still probably would've assumed it was a reference to Marvel's Loki.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I would always assume the actual Norse mythological figure.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Maybe if this were a more ... literary focused forum.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Terraria confuses me a bit. They support mods, which is great, but they do so only via a community tool called Tmodloader. which is on an old version of Terraria despite the patch being over a year old.

What kind of weird hackery are they doing that just updating the backend takes that long? O.o

Also you're "not allowed" to backport 1.4 features via mod for some reason. So it's old version with no new features and mods or 1.4 and no mods.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Also you're "not allowed" to backport 1.4 features via mod for some reason. So it's old version with no new features and mods or 1.4 and no mods.

I've never understood this aspect of modding.

Like it makes me think of when IIRC for Fallout 4 they started selling a Chinese Stealth Suit, but there was also a mod for a Chinese Stealth Suit that looked better and had more functionality and was free. Bethesda more or less said they didn't care, because it wasn't a rip of the assets they were selling, it was something slightly different. But like...why would you ever get the paid one then?

What if you "backport" 1.4 features as long as you're not using the exact same code? Do the same thing in a roundabout way, or do it better/worse than the official version? How do you enforce this?

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular

Dark Souls Remastered
    The Witcher 3
    FFXII Zodiac Edition
    Hades (might run into similar issues as Super Mario Odyssey)

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    I would always assume the actual Norse mythological figure.

Is probably not norse
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDwQ3MA2Ne0

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Smoncdahonk/status/1434197084299620352

So apparently Sonic colors have some issues that is causing some seizure inducing graphical glitches. There are several that have been reporting these issues but others that are not running into them. Either way it looks like they really goofed up the port and it seems Nintendo and Microsoft are giving out refunds as it's a known issue.

I had already pre-ordered it and mine should be showing up in a couple days so I'm hoping I don't run into these issues.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021

Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2? Two might be a bit too anime, depending on their tastes, but one is a lot more subdued in its character visuals. But both are definitely in the "I'm going to fuck off in this direction for the next 80 hours and that's completely fine!" category.

Stardew has a lot of optimization, yes, but there's also a lot of room for creativity in designing your farm, decorating it how you want, and with the latest patch there's a second smaller farm you can use/decorate too. And houses in both that you are free to do whatever with tons of options. EDIT: There's a threshold you cross where you are free to do basically whatever you want with your farm, because you can functionally produce absurd amounts of money with your greenhouse, a shed, and your basement, and you have the entirety of your farm to do whatever you want with.

If they struggled with Odyssey controls, I can't imagine recommending Terraria. I guess for people determined to play it, they can get past the controls, but IMO that game is an absolute nightmare to try to play with a controller.

They might like the Hyrule Warrior games? There are stages, so it's not totally open world, but particularly with AoC there's a lot of freedom to explore and tons of side things to do. It's a lot less overwhelming than it might initially seem by the genre, and the controls are pretty straight forward, depending on the character you're playing as.

EDIT: I mean, just plain old Minecraft is an option; just be aware that the Switch version is fairly unoptimized. I mean, it works, but if you attempt multiplayer and are trying to do anything moderately complex, it can chug hard.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Smoncdahonk/status/1434197084299620352

So apparently Sonic colors have some issues that is causing some seizure inducing graphical glitches. There are several that have been reporting these issues but others that are not running into them. Either way it looks like they really goofed up the port and it seems Nintendo and Microsoft are giving out refunds as it's a known issue.

I had already pre-ordered it and mine should be showing up in a couple days so I'm hoping I don't run into these issues.

it sounds like it's not perfect but also getting pretty overblown

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Controllers! I've had issues with a sticky B button on my right joy-con and am tossing up whether to buy another pair or get a pro controller. Benefit of new joy-cons being I only have the 2 at the moment, and very (very) occasionally need to borrow a couple for 4-player. But most of the time it's just me playing, about 80% docked.

So, Nintendo thread, how much better is the pro controller over joy-cons in the grip? If the answer is "not much" I'll probably just get the joy-cons, but the impression I get is that the pro controller is going to be substantially better.

exis on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    The pro controller is similar in layout to an Xbox controller. Smaller. Has a good feel and the button spacing and size is much nicer, to me, for playing games for an extended period over joycons in the grip.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Mulletude wrote: »
    The pro controller is similar in layout to an Xbox controller. Smaller. Has a good feel and the button spacing and size is much nicer, to me, for playing games for an extended period over joycons in the grip.

Thanks, that's all the justification I needed :+1:. New controller on it's way woo.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Good choice. I really don’t like the joycons. The size is necessary for a portable but they’re kind of up there on the list of worst controllers I’ve ever used. On the other end of the spectrum, the pro controller is one of the best.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    exis wrote: »

Thanks, that's all the justification I needed :+1:. New controller on it's way woo.

This is also available if you don't like joycons and want to play handheld. However, they have no gyro or rumble if that's a deal breaker.

62742f40376c434b8b34c1687a0aed8f_Large.jpg

• Options
    exis wrote: »

This is also available if you don't like joycons and want to play handheld. However, they have no gyro or rumble if that's a deal breaker.

62742f40376c434b8b34c1687a0aed8f_Large.jpg

Yeah the gyro is actually a big selling point for me. Mario Kart is a real favourite with my nephews/nieces who don't play a lot of games, but find the tilt controls fairly intuitive.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I had a sticky button on my pro controller. I just wet my finger in some rubbing alcohol, rubbed it all around the button, then hit the button a few times to kind of work it into the seam. Haven't had a problem since.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Counterpoint: The Joycons are amazing! Although the Pro controller is amazing too, so you can't go wrong either way.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page