As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Playstation 5] Out Now! Happy Hunting.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Yeah, I will say that auto-capture videos from trophies is the biggest waste of space on PS5. The videos that are created are almost never worth watching, and the file sizes add up quick.

A decent sized external HDD can store all your PS4 games, leaving the internal storage free for PS5 games. I think for most people, that should be enough to hold them over until internal SSDs are more reasonably priced.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Normal is fine for those games, but the hardest difficulty is an exercise in rote memorisation and is very unpleasant in places.
    Are you referring to Crushing or Brutal?

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Tomorrow I will run into the problem of my tv only having 3 HDMI ports.

Also is storage really as big a deal as all the getting started guides make it seem?

I think it really depends on how many people use the ps5; if it was just me no problem; but me and my wife both use it daily and have very different game libraries which means we’re both swapping games on a daily basis. Thank god I have gigabit internet

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm almost never at full HDD space so I'm sure it's a problem to some people but it isn't for me.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Just started really playing Deathloop, and is my PS5 supposed to sound like it's in pain on the loading screens?
    Also I got a few moments of it just freezing on me for a second at a time, which worried me enough that I'm giving it a time out to cool off.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Just started really playing Deathloop, and is my PS5 supposed to sound like it's in pain on the loading screens?
    Also I got a few moments of it just freezing on me for a second at a time, which worried me enough that I'm giving it a time out to cool off.

I didn't notice my PS5 making any noise in Deathloop, besides the disc drive going crazy right on startup like with other games on disc.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

There's supposedly and issue with the load screens on PS5 that it uncaps framerate or something and during those moments can make your system go a bit hard.

Supposedly nothing to actually worry about but yea, that's a known thing.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular

Also is storage really as big a deal as all the getting started guides make it seem?

Yes. I mean if you play only one game at a time to completion then no, but there are a number of games that push the 100Gig limit (and exceed it). Heck even the standard 50Gig limit means you're going to be up against that ceiling more often than not.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

Yes. I mean if you play only one game at a time to completion then no, but there are a number of games that push the 100Gig limit (and exceed it). Heck even the standard 50Gig limit means you're going to be up against that ceiling more often than not.

I would also say it's a little less extreme than that. I am a play only one game at a time person(a second with the SO occasionally) but it's not like I uninstall each game right after I finish.

Just like with the PS4 it's like once every 6-12 months I get close to the limit and clear out old games. And then go back to not thinking about it at all for a long time.

I got my PS5 at launch and have done 1 clean up so far.

But yea, if you are someone who needs 10+ games available at all times then you will want to be looking at options.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I have 5 or 6 games installed at the moment and haven't run into an issue. But if you're a habitual game jumper then it might be.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I guess with my PS4 I had probably like a ~20 things installed at a time and just kind of pruned what I wasn't playing whenever I got close to full. And I have gig at the new apartment so I guess we'll see. My main concern was "what will it look like once I have a few larger PS5 titles downloaded and want to go back to a PS4 title"

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    I have 5 or 6 games installed at the moment and haven't run into an issue. But if you're a habitual game jumper then it might be.

I have 4 games installed and 20 gigs free atm :o

• Options
    I guess with my PS4 I had probably like a ~20 things installed at a time and just kind of pruned what I wasn't playing whenever I got close to full. And I have gig at the new apartment so I guess we'll see. My main concern was "what will it look like once I have a few larger PS5 titles downloaded and want to go back to a PS4 title"

The other note is that currently PS5 files actually tend to be smaller than PS4 files.

I'm sure things will grow a bit over time but at this moment with everything else equal the same amount of space actually goes further in the PS5 than it would in the PS4.

• Options

The other note is that currently PS5 files actually tend to be smaller than PS4 files.

I'm sure things will grow a bit over time but at this moment with everything else equal the same amount of space actually goes further in the PS5 than it would in the PS4.

unless you're playing ps4 games; ps4 games actually take up more space on a ps5 than on a ps4 due to how it does backwards compatibility and the "other" space you see in storage

• Options
    Weird. Ok I would not have expected that!

• Options
    So in the end the answer is just.. "It's complicated!"

• Options
    I love my ps5 don't get me wrong but it seems like for everything Sony does that's the answer vs MS. sometimes I long for the simpler times of owning an xbox. Although I could never give up dualense

• Options
    Well she's here and slowly transferring things and upgrading my ffvii and downloading some demos and wow it's slow. Like about 1/20 my theoretical bandwidth top end. I certainly have a lot of moving data right now but idk feels like it should be faster than this.

Either way it'll all be downloading while we go out tonight and then the fun begins.

I did play one of the Astro worlds though and it was pretty solid. Will definitely do the rest when my partner gets a chance to play.

Also is there no easy way to find game demos now? I added tales of arise and strangers in paradise to my queue but only found them because I already knew they had demos

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Are you transferring over a wired connection or wifi?

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    wifi. I think I'm gonna do the "hook them to each other via lan" thing tomorrow instead.

I did play a bit of ghost of tsushima though and it's gorgeous

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Playing the original uncharted and my god some of these climbing sequences, you have no idea where you’re supposed to aim the directional stick and you miss a jump and you have to go back to the start of like a 5 minute climbing sequence. So many subtle improvements in game design over the years I just take for granted

And oh man the fixed camera angles that change your direction input slightly and fuck your up

Also I found a way out

https://youtu.be/NkWUq4Gr37w

Prohass on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I put in the SSD. I copied Soulstorm to it, but it would not run. I deleted it and reinstalled it, but it installed on the built in drive.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Sony have started rolling out game trials it seems. In the UK now, you can try out, uh, Death Stranding and Sackboy.

You get to play for x hours (for example, 6 hours in Death Stranding). Saves carry over if you buy the game.

It's a nice feature.

This is Sony, though, so there is of course a monumentally dumb decision in the mix:

Your trial time starts the minute you hit download. Slow connection? You're not gonna be playing 6 hours of Death Stranding, the download will eat some.

You can get around it by creating a second account, starting the trial/download on that and then later starting the trial on your main account, thus not needing to download the game first, but lol Sony all the same.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I had queues up the sackboy trial for download yesterday went to try it today and license already expired. That explains it lolsony indeed

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Does the PS store send sale notifications for your wishlist? I apparently had notifications disabled so I’m not sure. I’ve just been checking the wishlist on the site periodically.

In related news, I found out Returnal is on sale so I’m going to finally grab that.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Is returnal the only big "this is a PS5 experience" title out so far? Besides bugsnax, It's possible that it just happens to be I'm downloading 3 PS5 upgraded titles

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart is a game that felt like it couldn't have been made on the last gen. It really takes advantage of the how fast they can load assets with the PS5 SSD.

It's also one of the best looking games I've ever seen.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Deathloop is only on PS5/PC.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I'd probably count the Demon's Souls remake and Astro's Playroom.

Sure, Demon's Souls doesn't do anything uniquely PS5, but it looks really nice and runs at 60FPS.

I definitely wouldn't count Bugsnax, seeing as it is also on PS4. It just happened to release at the PS5 launch.

Peewi on
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Ya I’d count DeS and Astro’s.

I’d also count Miles Morales, but can see how some wouldn’t.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Rift Appart also does some sound things with the controller.

• Options
    Demon Souls leverages the graphic ability of the PS5.

• Options
    Would you say the Demon Souls remake is better than the original? I am warming up to them changing the fat guys.

• Options
    Yeah, the list of PS5 games that have no PS4 version is very short. Astro's Playroom, Demon's Souls remake, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Deathloop, and Destruction All-Stars.

Of those, I'd only say Rift Apart couldn't work on PS4 without some significant downgrades and other changes. Astro does some cool stuff with haptics and adaptive triggers, but everything else would have worked on PS4 with a graphical downgrade. So could all the other games.

• Options
    Astro's Playroom uses the controller the best. The other games are not getting the haptic feedback right.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    It’s weird to say as I was bashing it a few days ago but I think death stranding dc may be the best ps5 showcase; graphics better than demons souls imo; fastest load times in anything outside of astros (essentially instant) and great use of the 3D audio along with the best haptics and trigger use outside of Astro’s

The gameplay may not be up most people’s alleys and the story is terrible but if you just want to show off the ps5 to someone; it’ll do it

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Where is the upgrade for Death Stranding at? I didn't see it.
    Edit: Oh, it hides it if it is not installed. I hate it when it does that.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Astro's Playroom uses the controller the best. The other games are not getting the haptic feedback right.

Rift Apart does get points for making some sound effects powered by vibration. I did enjoy the rope tension in Ghost of Tsushima.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Would you say the Demon Souls remake is better than the original? I am warming up to them changing the fat guys.
    the soundtrack is not as good and it loses a little bit of atmosphere but is otherwise better or the same in all respects