As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mechanical Keyboards] Clickity Clack! We build them ourselves now!

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    6y3zddw2a5a8.jpeg

It came in today! Now I just need to build a tiny wrist rest and find some suitable keycaps to swap in.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Speaking of @minor incident look what this glorious bastard crafted for me... absolutely loving my new wrist rest! Thank you my dude, this is beautifully made and so much more comfortable, didn't know what I was missing until now!
    bz1d0latp0yh.jpg
    xmdic4ccu26z.jpg
    asm98h2tnm1h.jpg

• Options
    Aw damn, dude. You make my work look good 😊

Thanks again!

• Options
    Ordered myself a GMMK Pro to use as my work keyboard, not expecting it until next week, most likely.

Got a shipping notification same day, nice.

Checked the tracking. Found out it apparently ships from a warehouse that’s like half a mile from my house.

Guess I’m getting a GMMK Pro tomorrow, then.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Can you guys point me to a site that has foam pads I can add to my Epomaker board for silencing? I'm using it at work and it's still loud when I bottom out the keys.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Can you guys point me to a site that has foam pads I can add to my Epomaker board for silencing? I'm using it at work and it's still loud when I bottom out the keys.

I don’t see epomaker on his list, but it might be worth reaching out to the stupidfish dude to see if one of his would fit well: https://stupidfish.design/collections/keyboard-foams

• Options
    Hm. I could get the foam for my GMMK but I think the board looks cleaner without the foam

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    My keycaps has arrived for my GMMK fullsize at home.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Well, it got delayed in shipment for a few days, but the GMMK Pro finally showed up. Tossed in the Glorious Lynx switches I had picked up, and a key so set and I’m really liking it. Unfortunately on MacOS the lighting is either off or full blast, and it doesn’t seem to respect the brightness setting, so I’ve got it turned off. Not so bad, since I don’t use shine-through keycaps anyway.

o6b1g6305cbu.jpeg
    qqzxjd0m4dss.jpeg

Overall it feels nice. The weight is great, the volume knob is nice to have, and the stabilizers aren’t anywhere near as bad as I’d been hearing. I don’t know if they tweaked the lubing since the early batches or what, but these are easily 80% or so as good as the durock ones in my Tofu65. I’ll probably leave them in since they’re not half bad. I mostly just wish this keycap set included Mac modifiers. I might see what else is out there at some point, but it’ll do for now.

minor incident on
  • Options
    So, reverse dye sub kicks ass, apparently

7aiic9vyobny.jpg

Having light letters on dark backgrounds is now a thing we can do and not have it be doubleshot. Set is KAT Slurp

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I don't need it, I don't need it...

• Options
    I don't need it, I don't need it...

You probably can't get it anyway if it helps

• Options
    I also picked up some key caps for my Tofu65. I got these Akko doubleshot PBT caps and they’re SO nice. Super good deal for $50 on Amazon. They also come in a nicer storage box than $200 GMK sets.

qh23y7ys2lx5.jpeg

These are ASA profile, if anyone’s curious. Very comfy for typing so far.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Actually seeing those slurm keys are KAT profile saves me. I like my flat keys now.

• Options
    Man I fucking adore KAT now. I go home to my cherry profiles and it's so meh in comparison.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Oh man I'm tempted to buy that WoB set. I ended up switching from the MT3 to a Cherry profile WoB set because while the MT3 profile felt really nice I didn't find it as nice to type on as the Cherry profile. Something in-between that's not as high profile but still cups my finger tips would be ideal.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    That black and white is really nice

• Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    Oh man I'm tempted to buy that WoB set. I ended up switching from the MT3 to a Cherry profile WoB set because while the MT3 profile felt really nice I didn't find it as nice to type on as the Cherry profile. Something in-between that's not as high profile but still cups my finger tips would be ideal.

Honestly, this ASA set from Akko fits that bill perfectly. About midway between something like MT3 and OEM/Cherry.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I was surprised how much I like the mt3 profile

• Options
    Well, it got delayed in shipment for a few days, but the GMMK Pro finally showed up. Tossed in the Glorious Lynx switches I had picked up, and a key so set and I’m really liking it. Unfortunately on MacOS the lighting is either off or full blast, and it doesn’t seem to respect the brightness setting, so I’ve got it turned off. Not so bad, since I don’t use shine-through keycaps anyway.

o6b1g6305cbu.jpeg
    qqzxjd0m4dss.jpeg

Overall it feels nice. The weight is great, the volume knob is nice to have, and the stabilizers aren’t anywhere near as bad as I’d been hearing. I don’t know if they tweaked the lubing since the early batches or what, but these are easily 80% or so as good as the durock ones in my Tofu65. I’ll probably leave them in since they’re not half bad. I mostly just wish this keycap set included Mac modifiers. I might see what else is out there at some point, but it’ll do for now.

Trying to figure out what it reminds me of….

The keyboard on the ancient 8088 portable computer

ozc156lynvhl.jpeg

• Options
    Haha, very much along the lines of what I was going for. That and the old school Apple Extended keyboards.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Turns out a coworker on my team is really into keyboards and surely this will not lead to anything for me.

Also I like how this makes the Q1 sound, modded sound test at 8:23.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45xibiB9htk

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

I don’t see epomaker on his list, but it might be worth reaching out to the stupidfish dude to see if one of his would fit well: https://stupidfish.design/collections/keyboard-foams

Thanks for this! I messaged the guy on Reddit and he gave me some recommendations. (basically it's an ANSI board so try the Tofu60ANSI or similar) I'm going to try a set and see how it goes.

Also I can't believe I'm saying this but my lubed Lynx switches are so soft that I'm debating buying a set of lubed Pandas, in the off chance they are similarly soft/smooth with the tactile bump.

• Options
    I really like the lubed Lynxes! My other board has gat silent blank inks, and I think I actually prefer the lubed Lynxes over those.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Welp, I impulse-bought the Nuphy Air 75, because I've been wanting a slim low-profile keyboard I can easily toss in the backpack. Random video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wgJ3ndwx3g

• Options
    klg1c9nvznyh.jpeg

Got a set of MT3 dev/tty keycaps from Drop and threw them on my work keyboard. First time using MT3, and I really like it. Ever so slightly lower profile than SA, but still pretty heavily sculpted. And these keys are thiccccc boys with a nice feel and sound.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    klg1c9nvznyh.jpeg

Got a set of MT3 dev/tty keycaps from Drop and threw them on my work keyboard. First time using MT3, and I really like it. Ever so slightly lower profile than SA, but still pretty heavily sculpted. And these keys are thiccccc boys with a nice feel and sound.

I think those are the only MT3 PBT ones as well. I really like their feel, nice and grippy, yet the still feel like they have some give.

Drop should do more sets in PBT.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Oh damn, for some reason I thought all the Matt3o designed ones were PBT, but you're right, it looks like it's just this set (and also the Nerd DSA set they did a while back, but that's mostly all gone now).

These do feel nice, though. Really good texture on them.

• Options
    Welp. I grabbed a foam from Stupidfish but it's too thick for my board. Otherwise it fits perfect

• Options
    That sucks, does he offer a thinner version of it? I know some of them have 3mm and 4mm options.

• Options
    Oh damn, for some reason I thought all the Matt3o designed ones were PBT, but you're right, it looks like it's just this set (and also the Nerd DSA set they did a while back, but that's mostly all gone now).

These do feel nice, though. Really good texture on them.

I have the SusuWatari ones.

eys4ynn0xkkp.png

They're great but wish they were PBT

• Options
    That sucks, does he offer a thinner version of it? I know some of them have 3mm and 4mm options.

I'll take a look. I don't want to return this because I popped out all the switch holes. I was going to toss it on r/mechmarket I guess.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Despite changing away from the MT3 BoW at home I still use and really like the dev/tty set at work. The slightly rough PBT texture does just feel so much better than the ABS of the BoW set. Even though I do prefer the overall feel of the Cherry profile there's just something really satisfying about the cupped feeling of MT3.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    5g33jtqa0m98.jpeg

My novelty keys came in a little later than all the others, but hooray.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Going to build a keyboard with my son, any tips? Doing the cannon keys starter with RGB browns.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    Going to build a keyboard with my son, any tips? Doing the cannon keys starter with RGB browns.

Do a few keys and plug in to test. Then keep testing as you go. Then test again before you close up the case. Basically just constantly test because if you don’t you’ll definitely flub one or two and have to take it all back apart to redo it.

• Options
    where is the fun in that!??!?

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    So I've been rocking a MaxKeyboard Nighthawk with CherryMX browns for the last seven or so years, and it's starting to get a little long in the tooth, after a couple moves and the associated battering it's finally getting a bit long in the tooth. I'm thinking about getting a new keyboard, possibly a kit one, but I'm pretty much married to at least a 104-key+ layout just because muscle memory and the amount of number-work I tend to do. Ideally I would like a frankly ridiculous setup for RGB just for giggles-- per key animations, rippling effects, whatever. I don't mind the browns but light linear keys might end up working better for me because I pretty much bottom out on every single stroke regardless. MX-mount keys would be nice so I can get some pudding keycaps to further facilitate aforementioned ridiculous RGB just for giggles.

Thing is, I don't know if there ARE any kit keyboards in the 104+ range with dumb levels of RGB silliness.

I do already have a ROCCAT mouse but I have no idea how their keyboards are.

Basically: SUGGEST AWAY

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    MechMantis wrote: »
    So I've been rocking a MaxKeyboard Nighthawk with CherryMX browns for the last seven or so years, and it's starting to get a little long in the tooth, after a couple moves and the associated battering it's finally getting a bit long in the tooth. I'm thinking about getting a new keyboard, possibly a kit one, but I'm pretty much married to at least a 104-key+ layout just because muscle memory and the amount of number-work I tend to do. Ideally I would like a frankly ridiculous setup for RGB just for giggles-- per key animations, rippling effects, whatever. I don't mind the browns but light linear keys might end up working better for me because I pretty much bottom out on every single stroke regardless. MX-mount keys would be nice so I can get some pudding keycaps to further facilitate aforementioned ridiculous RGB just for giggles.

Thing is, I don't know if there ARE any kit keyboards in the 104+ range with dumb levels of RGB silliness.

I do already have a ROCCAT mouse but I have no idea how their keyboards are.

Basically: SUGGEST AWAY

Basically no full size kits exist. If you do find one, expect it to be very expensive. EDIT: I should really have also said, in the DIY keyboard community, full size kits are super super rare. Maybe 1 or 2 in the last couple of years based on my searches.

That said, several 1800 customizable boards do exist, the Drop Shift being the most notable (its also $50 off right now).

Otherwise, you are likely stuck with mass manufactured boards.

If you are feeling adventurous, you might check out https://www.mechgroupbuys.com/keyboards.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA