As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Remote Play Together Sale (2/28 - 3/7) - Get some games! Play with friends!

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Control has excellent mirrors with the right kind of distortions in mirrored glass. One of those things that makes you go 'I don't think I have ever seen that before
    It takes a heap of compute though, and RTX only so not on original consoles.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Solasta:

I am on the literal last section with my current playthrough, so I'll be starting the PAGT Steam Thread Party of Glory, Riches, and Hilarious Deaths* probably tomorrow.

I almost had it beat yesterday but the last quest turned into a colossal fucking disaster where everything went belly up because the game did a 180 on me and after a zillion hours of getting me used to playing one way, pulled the rug out from under me and changed something that caused me to wipe in the end. I said a lot of bad words and had to go back to a previous save, which was further back than I was happy about.

* There is a prize for anyone who can come up with a suitably entertaining name for this party, preferably with a hilarious acronym.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    It just feels weird that we're at a point where you can see the entire world reflected in a procedurally generated drop of sweat on an NPCs forehead or whatever, but in a lot of ways we're moving backwards when it comes to videogames. When is the last time you played a videogame with a working mirror?

Well, the issue is more that the way mirrors used to be generated you essentially had to double up on processing and so on, which could really put a load on the processor/GPU. My impression is that RTX makes that easier, but I have no idea.

The other issue is that the way your character is animated in when you are in first person looks utterly ridiculous when in third person, and matching those animations does not help with verisimilitude.

The original way mirrors used to be generated was to just have the "mirror" be a hole in the wall displaying an identical but mirrored room that was physically rendered on the other side. Then you just have a character sprite or model set to mirror the player's actions when the player moves in front of the mirror. The variance in first and third person animations can be kind of goofy (like when Dead Island shipped with a bug that made the third person animations display while you were in a first person view), but there has been at least one game (TimeSplitters Future Perfect if I remember right) that just had the mirrored model use third person animations, so it looked normal when viewed by the player. Amusingly enough, this method was also used for the Airport level in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 - there is an upside down version of most of the level that is underneath semi-transparent tiles on the ground that gives the appearance of a waxed reflective floor.

You could fake this with portals, though. The game Portal showed that you could have a rendered environment with multiple portals showing the same environment without causing significant increases in resource usage. Since the majority of time you'll find mirrors in bathrooms, and not a lot of action goes on in bathrooms (unless you've got a wide stance) I think using portals to let the player view an identical mirrored room stored somewhere else on the map should be doable way more often than it is done. Trying to accurately reflect the room (like a true mirror would do) is what is incredibly taxing, because its a shitload of math going on for basically no reason when the alternative is just looking into another room.

Always reminds me of the wonderful scene in Terminator 2 Director's Cut...
    ...where Sarah and John pull the Terminator's CPU out.

There's a shot with a mirror, but it's not a mirror, it's another room, which Arnold is in, along with Linda Hamilton's twin sister and a double (whose face is out of shot) for Edward Furlong. Furlong and Hamilton are in the foreground room with the animatronic Terminator from which they're pulling the CPU. That way it can all be one long uninterrupted shot, no CGI required.

https://youtu.be/wrDo7wVXrBQ

Shot starts at 2:02 in the video.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Pandemic: The Board Game has been quietly pulled from sale on Steam (on the 6th of this month, as it happens), and also from mobile stores. The Xbox version is being pulled at the end of January, and the Switch version at the end of July. No mention of why the discrepancy in the dates.

Perhaps most worrying here is where publisher Asmodee says the game has been withdrawn from sale "for a multitude of reasons that [the publisher] cannot disclose". All mention of the game seems to have been wiped from Asmodee's website, too.

Jazz on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Solasta:

I am on the literal last section with my current playthrough, so I'll be starting the PAGT Steam Thread Party of Glory, Riches, and Hilarious Deaths* probably tomorrow.

I almost had it beat yesterday but the last quest turned into a colossal fucking disaster where everything went belly up because the game did a 180 on me and after a zillion hours of getting me used to playing one way, pulled the rug out from under me and changed something that caused me to wipe in the end. I said a lot of bad words and had to go back to a previous save, which was further back than I was happy about.

* There is a prize for anyone who can come up with a suitably entertaining name for this party, preferably with a hilarious acronym.

We
    All
    Need
    Gold

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Pandemic: The Board Game has been quietly pulled from sale on Steam (on the 6th of this month, as it happens), and also from mobile stores. The Xbox version is being pulled at the end of January, and the Switch version at the end of July. No mention of why the discrepancy in the dates.

Perhaps most worrying here is where publisher Asmodee says the game has been withdrawn from sale "for a multitude of reasons that [the publisher] cannot disclose". All mention of the game seems to have been wiped from Asmodee's website, too.

They recently acquired Board Game Arena
    They're probably going to use it for gatekeeping the many licenses they've aquired.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Solasta:

We
    All
    Need
    Gold

I feel like this has been done a few [dozen] times already. :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Solasta:

We
    All
    Need
    Gold

Save
    Me
    I
    Love
    Existing

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Solasta:

We
    All
    Need
    Gold

Save
    Me
    I
    Love
    Existing

Glorious
    Irreverent
    Fun
    Time

People
    In
    Xenobiology
    Invade
    Everything

Collected
    Laypeople
    And
    Silly
    Situations

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Playing God of War, probably my first time playing anything in the series, as I haven't had a playstation since ps2.

This game is very well made and feels beautifully crafted, I was even saying yesterday to some friends it feels like a game from the past in terms of the care that went into it.

So def agree with some of the chat above.

Also my god the environmental textures in this game are shockingly beautiful.

Dixon on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Solasta:

Witches Are Necessary Guests

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Solasta:

Party of Ordinary and Random Mercenaries.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Hm. WANG, PORM, or a suggestion that Pixie has no class, which may be true but ouch.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    oh jeez, I kind of meant those to be read seperately (mostly)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Hm. WANG, PORM, or a suggestion that Pixie has no class, which may be true but ouch.

Particularly Into Xtremely Intelligent Explorers

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    oh jeez, I kind of meant those to be read seperately (mostly)

:lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Plunder
    Investigate
    Navigate
    Kill

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Band of Adventurers Looking for Lootz?

Because we all know the deeper you go, the better the loot.

Want the best loot? Then you have to go deep.

BALLz deep.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Claiming Unending Piles of Cash, Adventurers Kill, Explore, Survive

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    People
    In
    Suspicious
    Situations

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    RINGER
    Independent
    Group
    Exuding
    Recursion

• Options
    Campaign for the
    Liberation and
    Integration of
    Terrifying
    Organisms and their
    Rehabilitation
    Into
    Society

(with apologies to Red Dwarf)

• Options
    porjrhyp106y.gif

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    Campaign for the
    Liberation and
    Integration of
    Terrifying
    Organisms and their
    Rehabilitation
    Into
    Society

(with apologies to Red Dwarf)

Good name for a group of rogues.

No one could ever find them.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Could've been worse. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories had an organization promoted in its in-game radio ads, lampooning the likes of fallen anti-game crusading lawyer Jack Thompson, by the name of...

Citizens
    United
    Negating
    Technology
    For
    Life
    And
    People's
    Safety

The game, in true cunning linguist style *ahem*, only ever referred to them by the full name, so the joke did go over a few people's heads... also that was some years before the much more notorious Citizens United ruling in the real world...

Jazz on
  • Options
    ugh

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    OK, everyone needs to check out Vampire Survivors. It's a rogue-lite game that sort of mashes up Loop Hero and Robotron. You move around killing enemies with your auto-attacks and picking up treasures/xp to get stronger over time. Enemies scale as well, so you need to keep up your item upgrades to clear out the endless waves of enemies.

It looks slow to start, but then you start scaling out of control into a super power fantasy trip. It's best to just see it in action:
    https://youtu.be/trc7iuyydmo
    https://youtu.be/9xcNiaaAzB8

There are extra characters to play as and you can spend coins earned in your prior runs to upgrade future runs (extra move speed, stronger base damage, etc).

But the best part is the game is only $3! That means this is the perfect title to mass gift to everyone here.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Crap, I messed that up... But you at least get the idea.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    But the best part is the game is only $3! That means this is the perfect title to mass gift to everyone here.

No one would ever do that.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

Crap, I messed that up... But you at least get the idea.

Don't worry. In my heart, I knew you meant Nercenaries. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    Glory And Plunder Enterprises

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    It took me about 8h to unlock everything so far. There certainly is a treshhold of passives where you can be more aggressive and just farm xp aggressively and be more and more ahead of the curve.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I tried loop hero and was very bored. I beat the first lich boss dude and had no desire to keep doing the same thing to fight harder liches.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Party name? Behold, The He Man Goblin Haters Club.

• Options
    ugh

[Pixie disliked that.]

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    OK, I'm gonna need that finalized party name for the audio recording I plan on doing tomorrow.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Adventurers Doing Naughty Deeds.

ADND.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Acquisitions Incorporated

....it'll never work

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    OK, I'm gonna need that finalized party name for the audio recording I plan on doing tomorrow.

Ah! PRESSURE! I can't handle it!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    First game completed of 2022!

Okay, granted it was an Xbox 360 game played on my Xbox One, but still. I figured I'd take advantage of my extended, and finally over, convalescence to play something that I can only play when littler ears aren't in the family room where the consoles all live. Some time ago I'd picked up a used copy of Saints Row, and this was the perfect chance to see how the adventure began. Especially since I came in at the beautiful insanity of Saints Row: The Third. Look, it was that or Lollipop Chainsaw, but with SR2, Gat out of Hell, and SR4's DLC all still sitting in my backlog, and the new SR game looking okay-ish, I think I made the right choice.

I do wish that SR would have gotten a Steam port at some point. Granted it's largely a paint by numbers GTA clone, and the character creator is particularly sad compared to later games, but there's definitely glimmers of the franchise's future ascent into bug-nuts craziness. I particularly loved the talk radio station, which never got done again.

Ah, well, on to Saints Row 2. Consider it getting a jump on the upcoming backlog battle, since I doubt I'll make enough progress to disqualify this playthrough before that starts. Nice to be playing a better looking Boss who has more lines in the opening rescue mission that he had in the entirety of the previous game.

Side note, SR2 kept crashing on me until I disabled Steam Input for my Xbox Controller.