As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Remote Play Together Sale (2/28 - 3/7) - Get some games! Play with friends!

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    St. Yle sounds like good name for a rival
    @geth cast echo

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm on the fence about whether or not I should do this as a separate thread, since I notice some LPs happen here, so, at least to start with, we can get feedback from the professionals:
    sd8qavjbv4ry.png
    ugt0mi80royb.png
    apf42ry7z8br.png

Should the manager be a man or a woman, and what should the name of their group be?

Manager should be a woman, name of the group should be Jalapeno Pop.

Oh, and she'll need a name, too.
    (And her rival will either be male or female.)

I'm terrible with names >.<

I'll probably just make a thread out of it so we can get a wider consensus. (I just hope the game won't get too chaotic to update.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    Vampire Survivors: So you can evolve some of the weapons. You unlock these by...

Getting the weapon to level 8+.

Having the appropriate powerup
    Whip: Whip + Hollow Heart
    Magic Wand: Magic Wand + Empty Tome
    Knife: Knife + Bracer
    Axe: Axe + Candlabrador
    Cross: Cross + Clover
    King Bible: King Bible + Spellbinder
    Fire Wand: Fire Wand + Spinach

Once you have that obtain a rare chest. Voila.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    MS stopped making Xbox One S/X.
    They are still making Xbox Series S/X.

I still don't know the difference

And at this point I'm too afraid to ask

MS is super bad at naming consoles.

XBOX begat Xbox 360 begat Xbox One half begat Xbox One X begat Xbox Series X

EDIT: I swear I didn't hit post, and the forums are haunted.

Microsoft didn't want the Xbox 2 to launch against the Playstation 3, because 2 is less than 3, and they couldn't have their console being one less than sony.

So, Xbox 360.

Xbox One was a bad name in a bad time because that was the "this is the one box that will do all the things, hence Xbox One" That's where it went off the rails.

I do think that we'll stop seeing dumb names, and that the "series" things are here to stay. if I had to guess whenever Microsoft revs the hardware we'll see the Xbox Series X (2024) or something like that.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Though maybe I'm wrong and we'll get Xbox Series X-2

And then Lightning Returns: Xbox Series X

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Windows had confusing name progression, so it's on brand for MS

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Windows had confusing name progression, so it's on brand for MS

I love that they had to skip "Windows 9" because there was old stuff out there designed for Windows 2000 that wouldn't work if it detected that you were running "Windows 9_"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Product names are all marketing gobbely gook anyway.

Windows was hilarious for this because Windows 2000 was, in the codebase, Windows 5.0

Windows XP was Windows version 5.1
    Windows Vista was Windows 6.0
    Windows 7 was Windows 6.1
    Windows 8 was Windows 6.2
    Windows 8.1 was Windows 6.3

Finally they realized how dumb that was and just revved Windows 10 to be Windows version 10.

Again part of that was app compatibility. some poorly written apps were hard coded to only run on Windows 5.x or windows 6.x systems, so they kept the version numbers internally in that cadence to make compatibility easier.

So yeah, you think the Xbox naming is a bit of a mess, always remember that Windows 8.1 was a marketing name for Windows 6.3.

Edit: oh and even in Windows 10, they had to artificially change their naming scheme for the Windows 10 versions so the version that came out in March of 2020 was called Windows 2004 instead of Windows 2003 because there was a product called Windows Server 2003. (the naming scheme at the time was Windows YYMM, so 1909 was September 2019, etc)

wunderbar on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Between car names and gpu names, xbox chrysanthemum should be decent

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    Vampire Survivors: So you can evolve some of the weapons. You unlock these by...

Getting the weapon to level 8+.

Having the appropriate powerup
    Whip: Whip + Hollow Heart
    Magic Wand: Magic Wand + Empty Tome
    Knife: Knife + Bracer
    Axe: Axe + Candlabrador
    Cross: Cross + Clover
    King Bible: King Bible + Spellbinder
    Fire Wand: Fire Wand + Spinach

Once you have that obtain a rare chest. Voila.

Yeah, correct.

One thing I learned last night is the shop upgrades all apply a stacking 10% to any future purchases. This does make a singular different incentive to refund almost everytime if the upgrade you're buying is of a higher base cost than any of the upgrades you've already bought. The biggest example is the extra projectiles unlock that costs 5k base. That one will be much more expensive if bought as the Nth upgrade instead of bought as the very first one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    How does Spinach make a wand stronger?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    How does Spinach make a wand stronger?

Iron.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Obviously it strengthens the tip of the wand, which is traditionally the weakest part.

That makes the wand strong to the finach.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Solasta, Part 1

We're off.

The party meets in an inn... Stop me if you've heard this one before.

Koopah doesn't think highly of the beer. But apparently she likes donkey piss? The party gets to know each other. They tell tales of their adventures getting here. Iolo regales them with his tale of valor and describes his favorite tactic of just pushing enemies off cliffs. When 3 are done and they point out that Koopah hasn't told them her tale she explains why. But Iolo is having none of it and Koopah gives in and tells them about a recent heist she pulled off. Of course, there was murder in the end but whatever.

They met with Lord Carran, a representative of the high council, were sworn in as deputies, and are off to explore the Badlands. Something about a base fort that hasn't been heard from in a while, maybe go see if everyone is dead or something.

Koopah was unimpressed with the council chambers. Thawmus, for his part, was hoping for a different kind of job.

The party went back to the inn to get some rest before leaving. Also to complain about the donkey piss beer. The innkeeper took it well. Next morning, a bit of last minute shopping (food!) and we have to talk to the scavengers guild representative forever apparently, but finally she shuts up... Mina gets bored and the party hits the road.

Grand heroes, all.

Just did the tutorial and intro stuff. Having some RL issues right now that are cutting into game/free time. Life gets in the way.

Also, after this I'm just going to put everything behind a big spoiler tag because there's no way not to be spoilery.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    I must say. Must we have multiple LPs in the Steam thread? Can they not be their own LP thread?

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    No worries. I won't bother.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    This is a thread where people post about steam games they're playing. an LP is not remarkably different than me being like

I started DS2 last night. never got very far on the console version so hopefully this goes better. just found the fire longsword on a death run when i fell into an ambush. but I beat the first boss and cleared out to the fog gate of the second one before calling it a night.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Akilae wrote: »
    I must say. Must we have multiple LPs in the Steam thread? Can they not be their own LP thread?

When it's updates on a game that was purchased on Steam that is using characters based on forumers from the Steam thread that were sourced by asking for volunteers in the Steam thread I don't really see a problem with it.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I would rather that we not pour cold water on attempts to be a community and do community shit during these incredibly lonely and secluded times, and I have the distinct impression that I'm not alone.

I kinda understand where Akilae is coming from, but initiatefailure is right, these LP posts are interesting and aren't really any different from any other posts in the thread.

I bought Solasta specifically because Pixie started talking about it, and I like 5E, and didn't know Solasta existed. I've found it enjoyable.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Is a candlabrador a dog on fire?

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Gonna have to 2nd or 3rd or 4th, I'd say all of us want the Solasta run and there was even a charity event in this very thread for it.

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    No worries. I won't bother.
    This is a thread where people post about steam games they're playing. an LP is not remarkably different than me being like

I started DS2 last night. never got very far on the console version so hopefully this goes better. just found the fire longsword on a death run when i fell into an ambush. but I beat the first boss and cleared out to the fog gate of the second one before calling it a night.

When it's updates on a game that was purchased on Steam that is using characters based on forumers from the Steam thread that were sourced by asking for volunteers in the Steam thread I don't really see a problem with it.
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I would rather that we not pour cold water on attempts to be a community and do community shit during these incredibly lonely and secluded times, and I have the distinct impression that I'm not alone.

I kinda understand where Akilae is coming from, but initiatefailure is right, these LP posts are interesting and aren't really any different from any other posts in the thread.

I bought Solasta specifically because Pixie started talking about it, and I like 5E, and didn't know Solasta existed. I've found it enjoyable.

The original post was overly brief since the forum draft save bug on mobile was getting annoying.

I'm obviously going to be the minority, but I look at the Steam thread as part of the larger whole of G&T. Attempting to be a community and doing community shit to me expands to the larger whole of G&T, and even arguably PA forums. It's, sad (I guess?), that to get a feel for how people feel about, say, Solasta, I need to dig into the Steam thread, instead of having it out in the open as part of G&T. I get the Steam thread is largely a community within the G&T community, but like I said, I'm in the minority and respect how individual threads are run.

That being said, I do think the PA forums has lost a bit of something since we lost the industry thread and also started having less and less LP threads. I don't bemoan the loss of the industry thread, since that was largely ground zero for a lot of forum strife. But the death of LPs on the forums was to me an overall negative; there's less forum-wide sharing of game experiences*, jokes, and personalities.

*Individual experiences, not just discussion of games. I recall Synthetic Orange's X-COM LP, Helloween4545's survival horror LPs, and countless others. We don't have those anymore :(

Anyway, back to our regular pink colored, pun loaded, deal spotting Steam thread programming.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I'll be honest. I just opened all the images Pixie posted, and it got me more interested in Solasta. If it were in another thread, I wouldn't ever even see it. I'm not going to go out into the larger G&T for a thread about a game that I can almost certainly find information about here, in a thread where I've gotten to know people's likes and dislikes for . . . it seems a little under 9 years now? Good lord, has it been that long. Crap. I'm old as hell. Anyway, what was I saying? Oh, right, playthroughs in the thread. I like them here; if I'm uninterested in the game, I just skip the post. If I'm interested in the game, I check out more of the posts. If I'm not sure, I'll check the posts out and make a determination.

Especially when the entire point is for the party to be based around forumers here, in this thread. Like, I have BattleTech because of iolo's (I think?) posts about it. I got interested in XCOM because of this thread. This is, for me, the only place I'm going to look for that. Because I like you weird monsters, and because I'm set in my ways, like a true old fogey would be. :lol:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    That being said, I do think the PA forums has lost a bit of something since we lost the industry thread and also started having less and less LP threads. I don't bemoan the loss of the industry thread, since that was largely ground zero for a lot of forum strife. But the death of LPs on the forums was to me an overall negative; there's less forum-wide sharing of game experiences*, jokes, and personalities.

*Individual experiences, not just discussion of games. I recall Synthetic Orange's X-COM LP, Helloween4545's survival horror LPs, and countless others. We don't have those anymore :(

I also (really) miss the old dedicated LP threads, but to be honest making and maintaining one that is interesting to people who aren't involved with it is kind of a pain in the ass. It's a lot easier to be able to just post an update with a few screenshots in the Steam thread. Stuff like the dedicated X-COM LPs were absolutely fantastic, and an excellent example of a shared forum experience (where people would pitch in with their own in-universe updates), but the amount of time and effort required to make something like that is a pretty huge barrier.

I think streaming culture killed the traditional forum LP. Streaming something live is a lot easier than recording, editing, and uploading video, or taking dozens of screenshots and typing descriptions of what exactly is going on in-game at the time. It's especially easier if you're an attractive woman (since I don't think anyone on the forums would be willing to pay money for my jarred farts or used bathwater).

Anyway, it's nice seeing updates on someone's progress that doesn't require them to go through the laborious process of create a thread that has to be interesting to the forum as a whole, as opposed to just interesting to the thread.

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I have BattleTech because of iolo's (I think?) posts about it. I got interested in XCOM because of this thread.

I have Battletech because iolo gifted it to me back in November and said that no acknowledgement was necessary, so in accordance with their wishes I am not acknowledging what a lovely person they are.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I sometimes feel like the Steam thread is like a "catch all" for games that you'd like to talk about, but wouldn't get any traction as their own thread in G&T. Similar to the Nintendo Switch thread encompassing a lot of smaller titles that don't see a lot of discussion.

The Steam thread certainly is it's own beast at this point, which I greatly appreciate. It definitely has non-Steam stuff in it from time to time. I'm certainly guilty of making this place my VO info dump since my thread died out quickly.

Maybe we could try and make LP threads or encourage new game threads for interesting titles. Like, Vampire Survivors is a really cool game, but I don't know if it would get any traction at all if it wasn't mentioned in the Steam thread.

Tough stuff...

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i've never really thought about it but it's been a VERY LONG TIME since I saw, read, or watched an actual full on LP.

I have to wonder if yeah it is just a streaming thing? when i want that kind of activity it's just see who's playing thing on twitch or whatever. Just an odd part of gaming culture I didn't realize had kind of faded away.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    i've never really thought about it but it's been a VERY LONG TIME since I saw, read, or watched an actual full on LP.

I have to wonder if yeah it is just a streaming thing? when i want that kind of activity it's just see who's playing thing on twitch or whatever. Just an odd part of gaming culture I didn't realize had kind of faded away.

A lot of the LPs still done these days tend to be adapted from streaming sessions. They still exist since not everyone can watch a stream live but it's an accessory to streaming now.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I don’t mind the mini-LP updates in the threads. Spork was doing Project Zomboid not too long ago and I ended up playing it and am still into it.

I kind of like the turn based stuff with forumers names being used. The Battletech and Xcom examples are always funny.

I’m def down for the Solasta though, DnD even more my jam.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    If you miss lp threads you could always be the change you want to see in the world.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately I’m very lazy…

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am still contemplating doing an LP of every Resident Evil Game from 0 to VIII.

I will even force my partner to play RE5 and RE6 with me, MUAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAA.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022

A lot of the LPs still done these days tend to be adapted from streaming sessions. They still exist since not everyone can watch a stream live but it's an accessory to streaming now.

Yeah, that's been my experience as well. I do miss dedicated threads (I gave one a whirl with a recent replay of Deus Ex) but there's a big jump in effort from simply broadcasting live gameplay to putting together a thread with cleaned-up footage or screenshots. Also, the live format opens itself up to a degree of chaos that appeals to me on a gut level, no matter how much I tend to suffer for it. That said, I do also like to tidy up stream video for uploading elsewhere; as Steel Angel says, not everybody can tune in at a given time, and it's nice to be able to trim dead air, add notes, and make clips of questionable valve wheel physics.
    Answering the question 'can Corvo yeet something so hard he can't un-yeet it'? This was a goddamned adventure in real time, I tell you what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpeusHtsjZY

Anyway, Let's Play has changed. While I still enjoy a more focused LP thread, the periodic updates of people playing stuff in this thread are fun, too :+1:

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I am still contemplating doing an LP of every Resident Evil Game from 0 to VIII.

I will even force my partner to play RE5 and RE6 with me, MUAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAA.

Semi-related but my favorite strategy guide ever written was for Resident Evil 2, and it was reversible (so one side had Claire's gameplay, and then you flip the entire thing over and the opposite cover started with Leon's gameplay). It was written by two authors (one wrote Clair's gameplay, the other wrote Leon's) and they sprinkled in insults toward one another inside of their writing (like one of them making fun of the other one for "flunking out of community college"). It was absolutely hilarious.

I wish the PC versions of the original Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 on Steam. The remakes are fun, but there is something about the cheesiness of the first game and the creeping dread of the second that they just can't quite capture (also fuck Crimson Heads). I will admit that it's cool that (including the remakes) you can get Resident Evil 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 all on the same platform though.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Is Code Veronica on there? That one is technically a mainline game even if it's not numbered, right?

• Options
    Is Code Veronica on there? That one is technically a mainline game even if it's not numbered, right?

Sadly, it's not. You're right though, there is a lot of mystery surrounding the issue but the clearest explanation that people have pieced together is that Code Veronica is basically the "real" Resident Evil 3, but Sony and Capcom had a deal for a while that console versions of new mainline RE games would be exclusive to the PS1 for a period of time (before this they had announced a Saturn version of Resident Evil 1.5, which at the time was intended to be Resident Evil 2, for the Sega Saturn, but by the time it was scrapped and development restarted the Saturn was already floundering so it wouldn't have seen a port anyway). Capcom wanted to work with the then next-gen Sega hardware, so the solution was to give the mainline game (Code Veronica) an offshoot title, and give the offshoot game (Resident Evil 3) a mainline title, and presto, a shiny new Resident Evil game on the Dreamcast.

This is why Code Veronica advances the plot while RE3 takes place immediately before and after RE2, and feels more like a sidestory. Code Veronica never saw a PC release, but the silver lining is that as a result PC gamers never had to deal with Steve Burnside.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Sounds like your answer, Akilae - probably not the one you wanted to hear, but the one you're getting nonetheless - is "Those days are gone, and they're not coming back." (Sometimes with a "That format" and/or "I miss it too, but" in front.)
    Now that I'm on the far side of 50, it's something I'm hearing/have heard a lot. Time passes and things change, even when we don't want them to.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    So, I've played through Halo. All the Master Chief Collection games (including the Spartan Ops, which in retrospect I really should have at least tried to find people for).

They're fun! And shooty! And the stories are honestly engaging. It helps that Spartans feel badass, I think, but also there's an earnestness to their space opera meets hard sci-fi mixture. Even Halo 4, which was apparently the first foray for a new studio with the same property, felt more or less like it belonged somewhere in the crazyass story they had to tell.

And complaints I'd have about the games, at least at the campaign level, are not really worth grousing about (save for that secondary Spartan Ops thing in 4, which really should have had a way to play all episodes in a chapter without having to return to the menu and I will totally kvetch about that). Lots of fun. Sort of disappointed 5 isn't on the PC, though it appears as though the 14.99 Game Pass gets some kind of cloud gaming thing that I should be able to play it through. I can't just skip it, as reviled as it apparently is by long-time fans. If I'm to ever play Infinite, I'll have to have played 5 first.

Know anybody with an Xbox One you can borrow? Failing that, yeah, the cloud streaming works fine. (Caveat: I've not tried it on PC. But it worked fine on my Xbox! Although running natively on the local hardware is still better, of course, but for quickly trying stuff out, streaming is neat.)

It's honestly weird that Halo 5 hasn't come to PC natively yet, not that there's a ton of demand for it I wouldn't have thought.

Jazz on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Now that I'm on the far side of 50, it's something I'm hearing/have heard a lot. Time passes and things change, even when we don't want them to.
    ntYHVIz.jpeg

s7Imn5J.png